Briatore gets banned, Renault given suspended sentence and the fallout begins!

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by prisonermonkeys, Aug 30, 2009.

1. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Maybe, but the problem with his lawsuit is that it's based on the FIA failing to follow due process. It doesn't addess his innocence or guilt, so even if he gets the lifelong ban overturned, he won't have actually been proven innocent and I think people will be averse to dealing with him.

2. niky

niky Moderator

Unfortunately... if he's right, and he wins...

I would like to see the FIA taken down a peg or two due to their irritatingly inconsistent judgement and application of rules.

(oh... I know there are sound political reasons behind every decision... boo-hoo... Renault... bad fiscal year? That's like a Ponzi schemer claiming he shouldn't go to jail because he's got a bad back...)

3. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Formula One won't miss him, I should think. It's entirely appropriate that he's been booted out over Singapore, but there are other things in his tenue as a team principal that need to be looked at. His relationship with the drivers he manages, for one. And then there was the accusations Bennetton of using traction control in 1994 and 1995. Given that he (at least allegedly) told Piquet to crash, then for all we know, it was he who put the idea into Schumacher's head in Adelaide.

And there's other stuff, as well. Before he was Bennetton's team principal, he was the head of their franchising operations, and there were some rather unusual business practices there: franchisees had to pay large sums to acquire the rights and then sign very tight contracts that often required them to set up in high-rent regions of towns because they were in the best parts. Bennetton took their money, gave them their rights and offered them next to no support from then on. A lot of people suspected the company may have been a front, or that the franchising was some kind of scam.

4. niky

niky Moderator

The traction control... nah... that's part of the sport... along with Renault's mass dampers, Ferrari's flexible wings and the "double-deck" diffusers.

The other stuff... well... I am glad to see him go, but if he can hang the FIA up on this technicality... well... that'll make this whole mess even worse...

5. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Well, the final chapter of this whole sordid saga is upon us: Briatore will find out the results of his legal action today.

6. maximumattack

maximumattack

Just read this, I don't know anything more specific yet:

Flavio Briatore has won his case against FIA according to Alan Baldwin of Reuters, who broke the news at 14:05 today

7. Ardius

Ardius

8. Feschka

Feschka (Banned)

Disgusting:tdown:

9. yeti

yeti

This is an absolute disgrace...

Hope the FIA win the appeal against the appeal...

Ridiculous decision overturning this.

C.

10. LancerEvo7

LancerEvo7

Wow. Fail.

11. niky

niky Moderator

Seems that the only argument is whether Briatore was allowed to defend himself properly in the FIA court.

Leave it to the FIA to botch procedures on an open-and-shut case.

12. Ardius

Ardius

An interesting overview of the effects:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/01/briatore_verdict_leaves_f1_in.html

Let's remember here that its only the punishment that is being questioned, Briatore has not been made innocent by this.

13. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Oh, absolutely. Briatore's failure to address the question of his guilt is practically an admission of it. Whatever you think of Max Mosley, he was right on one count in this whole affair: the FIA has been incredibly lenient on Briatore over the years. They gave him the benefit of the doubt in 1994 when Bennetton were accused of using illegal traction control, but when there was insufficient evidence, they took no action. When he was in possession of Ferrari data in 2007, the FIA took him at his word when he said he knew nothing of it. And there may have been one or two other occasions when he's attracted controversy between those two episodes when the Powers That Be have done the same thing. His relationship with the drivers he manages is also odd - some reports sugest he takes as much as 20% of their earnings, more than double what other managers receive. And he has no problem with managing drivers and being their team principal at the same time, a blatant conflict of interests if ever there was one. Briatore has screwed over a lot of people - from Eddie Jordan to Jenson Button - in his time, and his comeuppance was long overdue. Hopefully the FIA can find a way to ban him again.

From the very beginning of this whole affair, Briatore blew it all off. Nelson Piquet was quite vehement about it all, and Pat Symonds fought the accusations. But Briatore rubbished them and acted as if it wasn't happening; no doubt he expected that the FIA would give him another reprieve. I think it was incredibly arrogant of him to challenge the verdict, even ifhe had the right to do it. But then, Briatore has always been like that. I get the sense that the paddock as a whole only tolerate him because they have to. His problem is that he seems to think he's a bigger star than his drivers; that his drivers are only successful because he's given them a seat. The fact that he has committed the single most despicable act of cheating not just in motorsport, but in sporting history - when was the last time someone put dozens of lives at risk in order to win? - means nothing to him. I'd say he is persona non grata in the Formula One paddock right now, and that no-one is going to want to work with him. It happened to Mike Coughlan in 2007; it'll certainly happen here. The problem is that it will not register with Briatore is unwanted and unwelcomed in Formula One; as soon as he finds a way back into the paddock, he'll take it - and he'll expect everyone to be grateful that he's back. After all, according to Flavio, the only time Formula One was not in serious danger was when Renault was winning.

14. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

I have no interest in defending Piquet Jr., but I don't like it when a respected news institution like the BBC is not truthful, or at least exact.

We say in Portugal (and probably the same or similar is said in other languages/countries) that if you consistently repeat a lie it becames the truth.

So, Andrew Benson, did Witness X say that Piquet had the idea of the crash and that it was him who proposed it to Symmonds? Really?

Please do your job professionaly and at least give yourself the trouble to read the WMSC decision. I'll quote the relevant part:

So, Witness X was told of "Piquet's suggestion" by ... Symmonds. Makes it a bit different from what Andrew Benson wrote:

15. Ardius

Ardius

I don't see where Benson has said anything wrong there...

16. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Andrew Benson - Hun200kmh stated that Ardius convinced interludes to murder Jordan's cat

Court findings - Hun200kmh stated that interludes told him that Ardius had convinced him to murder Jordan's cat

Do you see the difference now?

17. Ardius

Ardius

I don't read what Benson said that way, the key word is still "suggested". Benson didn't explicitly say he convinced Symonds at all.

Its a little different wording and I can see where the implication is found. But I doubt that was Benson's intention.

18. maximumattack

maximumattack

Does this mean that anyone who has been punished by the FIA in the past could now win an appeal and get their convictions/fines overturned?

19. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

I'm sure there are deadlines for appealing federation/association disciplinary decisions to court ...

20. maximumattack

maximumattack

The main one I'm thinking of is the $100million McLaren fine. I wander if they are outside their deadline for appeal, if it was say 3 years from the date of the ruling then they would still be able to challenge it.

21. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

22. Ardius

Ardius

Well, at least Symonds can hopefully be back sometime, ashamed though he should be - he was highly respected.
    I've never thought much of Briatore and its a shame that the FIA/Mosley failed to deal with him in a more proper manner. Its hard to imagine he will be out of F1 long after 2013...I mean he is a highly successful team principal and businessman.

23. Clark

Clark Premium

Thankfully 'Flabio' said he won't go back to F1, so my precious Renault F1 team is safe.

24. BlacqueJacques

BlacqueJacques

I prefer Coronation Street to the Formula 1 soap opera :)

F1 only interests me on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on a race weekend; nothing in between races.

Do we need rain in China for a good race :ouch:

25. Fastas

Fastas Premium

I don't know if I dare say any thing about this, I mean, who knows what could happen to me...:nervous:

What a monumental mistake. This guy should be in prison for life, the smell that follows him has a bad effect on so many people. If you don't know him, do a little research, needless to say, he is untouchable by most if not all laws in many countries. :tdown:

26. Lizard

Lizard Premium

we need an f1 comedy. just dont make it stupid

27. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Yeah, this thread has been dead for nearly a year, but I'm restoring a bit of life because Nelson Piquet Jnr. comes clean on his involvement in the whole sordid mess.

28. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

A sad story about human weakness. I pity him, but a driver like him has no place in motorsports.

29. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

I wonder if any other drivers have ever crashed on purpose (although not so much by team orders)?

I have my doubts, considering the very real risk of death or serious injury up until the mid-1980s, the fact that safety cars weren't regularly used until about 1993, and that few drivers would want to potentially ruin their careers. But it makes me wonder...

30. Anes

Anes (Banned)

Why do the british always always put -gate after every single scandal. God that annoys me.

Anyway, I like Flavio, but obviously I don't agree with what happened but I find any photo I now see of Piquet smile inducing. Never liked the kid anyway.