Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,419 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh ok, I was going to say I've lived in newer houses that have had ***** insulation so they get cold in the winter and warm in the summer, the last house I lived in was a 300yr old farm house that was cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Like I said, I've spent a decent amount of time in Italy and there are houses like yours, where they are too hot inside in the summer and too cold in the winter.

The flat I live in now in the Centre of brum has floor to ceiling windows, that look great but you can feel the draft coming through them in winter and they make the flat like a green house in the summer. But, it's not really that hot in the grand scheme of things, so I just don the shorts, crack a window and grab a beer

We don't have any insulation at all, we're planning to do the loft but there isn't anything we can do about the walls. I open as many windows as possible as soon as we get home from work but unless there's a breeze it doesn't seem to do much. Downstairs we're restricted with how much we can open the windows as we're on a main road and there's a path that runs right next to the house.

It's a shame it deals with the heat and cold so badly as the rest of it is great!

We don't have any insulation at all, we're planning to do the loft but there isn't anything we can do about the walls. I open as many windows as possible as soon as we get home from work but unless there's a breeze it doesn't seem to do much. Downstairs we're restricted with how much we can open the windows as we're on a main road and there's a path that runs right next to the house.

It's a shame it deals with the heat and cold so badly as the rest of it is great!
You can inject wall cavities with foam insulation, windows are the biggest issue I’ve found... just gotta seal the ****er up

The walls are solid brick! No chance of injecting anything other than a new damp proof course (which we had to do, the inside walls were rotting)

The walls are solid brick! No chance of injecting anything other than a new damp proof course (which we had to do, the inside walls were rotting)

Solid brick as in no cavity? It will be solid as rock but I can understand why it would be cold in winter and hot in summer.

There should still be a shallow stud wall cavity which you could fill though.

I doubt that, nust be twin course... even cathedrals aren't solid! :)

It's basically like the walls listed here, so whatever you would call these: http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/home-insulation/solid-wall

Which makes sense as it was definitely built before 1919, we have records of it being a greengrocers in 1910 and god knows how long before that it was built. It's all built with lime mortar too but luckily it's in good condition for now.

Last edited:
It's basically like the walls listed here, so whatever you would call these: http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/home-insulation/solid-wall

Which makes sense as it was definitely built before 1919, we have records of it being a greengrocers in 1910 and god knows how long before that it was built. It's all built with lime mortar too but luckily it's in good condition for now.

I stand corrected, way after any period I've studied and Mrs. Ten (a qualified lime mixer amongst other things) tells me I'm an idiot :D

I've heard something about My Mrs' house being lime of some kind from her parents who used to live there. They're both retired architects and I think I've them say something about the 1700's too. I have no idea if I've picked up on what they said accurately and I don't know much about buildings.

Though to be fair, you can still insulate them... which I would

Though to be fair, you can still insulate them... which I would

Yeah we've considered this before, we had the downstairs walls taken back to the brick for the damp proof course and re-plaster and part of me wishes we'd have added some insulation to the internal walls then. As it stands we don't plan on doing it as while we're living there as we don't like the idea of taking the skirting board off and re-doing the floor edging (not to mention making the room slightly smaller) but if we ever plan to sell up we might do it. Fitting it to the external walls is a no-go as we're on the corner of 2 main roads and public footpaths so have to take much more into consideration for scaffolding and permits.

Yeah we've considered this before, we had the downstairs walls taken back to the brick for the damp proof course and re-plaster and part of me wishes we'd have added some insulation to the internal walls then. As it stands we don't plan on doing it as while we're living there as we don't like the idea of taking the skirting board off and re-doing the floor edging (not to mention making the room slightly smaller) but if we ever plan to sell up we might do it. Fitting it to the external walls is a no-go as we're on the corner of 2 main roads and public footpaths so have to take much more into consideration for scaffolding and permits.
So to be fair, the issue isn't the heat, or the fact that 'we're not designed' for it... it's just you haven't and don't really have any intention of, properly insulating your house...

So to be fair, the issue isn't the heat, or the fact that 'we're not designed' for it... it's just you haven't and don't really have any intention of, properly insulating your house...

It's both judging by what I'm seeing online. And from the Met Office to some degree...

Today or tomorrow could be the hottest day in the UK since records began toping the current 38.5 C

We really need to start air conditioning this country and sorting out the way we build and insulate our buildings. I was shocked to hear there are still many hospitals without AC, how one earth can staff work and people be sick on a 30 C ward?! Even supermarkets had it for at least a decade. It's also ridiculous that so much public transport doesn't have it, its hard to even buy a new car now that doesn't.

Contrary popular belief most commercial air systems and even home units BOTH heat and cool now, there are rarely systems that don't do both so the argument of "only for a few days a year" is moot.

Contrary popular belief most commercial air systems and even home units BOTH heat and cool now, there are rarely systems that don't do both so the argument of "only for a few days a year" is moot.

As an aside I used to spend quite a few nights in hotels while travelling for my previous job. The windows never open enough to let air out and the desk would say "but the room's air-conditioned!". The lowest setting on any hotel that I ever found was 19C. That's way too hot for me to sleep, I like 15C! :D

My top tip is to get a disabled room (always has a full wet room) or a smoking room, the windows open much further.

Today or tomorrow could be the hottest day in the UK since records began toping the current 38.5 C

We really need to start air conditioning this country and sorting out the way we build and insulate our buildings. I was shocked to hear there are still many hospitals without AC, how one earth can staff work and people be sick on a 30 C ward?! Even supermarkets had it for at least a decade. It's also ridiculous that so much public transport doesn't have it, its hard to even buy a new car now that doesn't.

As someone who commutes via our Brilliant rail network, the issue isn't only a lack of AC on trains etc... its that they actively generate heat and that makes its way into cartridges.

I can't speak for the Underground, but the overground rail network is pure dog-****.

Meanwhile, as the London Underground hits 40 deg C, the Central Line announces that new trains with full air cooling systems will be ready by 2030 (the year, not 8.30 pm).

Air conditioning brought to you at the speed of government.

My top tip is to get a disabled room

I did this once inadvertently.

I accidentally set off the help alarm in the wet room twice. On the second occasion they sent someone up to make sure I was okay. For some reason, I felt the urge to pretend that I'd needed a disabled access room in the first place - with only a second to decide how to play it, I had to come up with something convincing... what else could I do but unleash my Herr Flick of the Gestapo walk! Again, for some reason I can't fathom now, I decided that I needed to keep up the pretense whilst walking through the bar or lobby.

Really was all very silly.

I accidentally set off the help alarm in the wet room twice. On the second occasion they sent someone up to make sure I was okay. For some reason, I felt the urge to pretend that I'd needed a disabled access room in the first place - with only a second to decide how to play it, I had to come up with something convincing... what else could I do but unleash my Herr Flick of the Gestapo walk! Again, for some reason I can't fathom now, I decided that I needed to keep up the pretense whilst walking through the bar or lobby.

I think that marks the point that I've had enough internet for the day...

The comments below that tweet are comedy gold :lol:

As an aside I used to spend quite a few nights in hotels while travelling for my previous job. The windows never open enough to let air out and the desk would say "but the room's air-conditioned!". The lowest setting on any hotel that I ever found was 19C. That's way too hot for me to sleep, I like 15C! :D

My top tip is to get a disabled room (always has a full wet room) or a smoking room, the windows open much further.

I have stayed in the odd Premier Inn over the the years and the fact they tether the windows to open only 2 inches and don't have air conditioning in the middle of summer has made for quite some experiences.

I was literally dieing once, had my face stuck out the window gap like a dog trapped in a car all night. I dread to think what they are like at the moment. A good night's sleep guaranteed you say...

Herr Flick of the Gestapo :lol:

Can't think why this came to mind...

Last edited:
The anti-semitism? Playing into long-held stereotypes?

It literally points it out in the article.
I listened to the video which presume is the evidence of these claims and there is nothing in there but what I said above. So listen to the video which they present as evidence and tell me what's anti-Semitic about making a factual statement that the Israeli/Jewish lobby is large and has a lot of influence. Or is simply the mere mention that there is a Jewish/Israeli lobby anti-Semitic in and of itself?

Saying that a group of lobbyists is large isn't anti-semitic if there's no more to it. Neither is criticising a national government. I haven't watched the video or looked into the case but I have noticed recently that some of the critics of the UK Labour party's definition of anti-semitism have sounded as if they think any criticism of Israel is automatically anti-semitic.
This may not be relevant to the case you guys are discussing (as I said, I haven't watched the video or even clicked the link) but I find it astounding that criticising any nation is seen as automatically racist.

I listened to the video which presume is the evidence of these claims and there is nothing in there but what I said above. So listen to the video which they present as evidence and tell me what's anti-Semitic about making a factual statement that the Israeli/Jewish lobby is large and has a lot of influence. Or is simply the mere mention that there is a Jewish/Israeli lobby anti-Semitic in and of itself?
You're not doing yourself any favors by skipping the article itself, Johnny. Read the article as well.

Edit: Forgot to put the quote in.

Back