Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So according to a Times poll (I know, the article is from Daily Mail but The Times has a paywall):

- 12% think the Brexit deal put forward by May is good for Britain

- 16% think she is handling it well compared to 34% think Johnson would handle it well

- 24 per cent would be prepared to support an explicitly far-right anti-immigrant, anti-Islam party

- 38% would vote for a new party on the right that was committed to Brexit

- One in three voters are prepared to back a new anti-Brexit centrist party

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-crisis-poll-shows-just-12-Brexit-fudge.html

What a mess!

So according to a Times poll (I know, the article is from Daily Mail but The Times has a paywall):

- 12% think the Brexit deal put forward by May is good for Britain

- 16% think she is handling it well compared to 34% think Johnson would handle it well

- 24 per cent would be prepared to support an explicitly far-right anti-immigrant, anti-Islam party

- 38% would vote for a new party on the right that was committed to Brexit

- One in three voters are prepared to back a new anti-Brexit centrist party

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-crisis-poll-shows-just-12-Brexit-fudge.html

What a mess!
What’s worse is that the government seems to be more interested and more prepaired for ‘no-deal’ rather than ‘no-brexit’...

That's because No Brexit is not an option.

The fact that the government have made a pig's ear of it thus far is hardly a surprise, but neither is the fact that the EU has not changed its position one iota.The only thing that has changed is that it is now dawning on people what the consequences of leaving the EU are going to be, that 'Soft Brexit' is not possible, and that if they were hoping that the EU would acquiesce to our demands then they are sadly mistaken. That the EU is even capable of agreeing to British demands was never realistic.

But, by the same token, the EU's strategy and demands are equally - if not considerably more - unrealistic. Perhaps the single biggest error they have made is to assume that the UK will reverse course and abandon Brexit. This isn't going to happen and the sooner the EU realise this the better for all.

If Ireland can take the UK's proposals (in order to avoid a hard border in Ireland) seriously, then the EU should. Frankly, their dismissal that the proposals are 'too bureaucratic' are the height of irony - yes, it will likely be more complicated that it is now, but Ireland's economy depends on making it work... the UK's proposals could work, so rejecting them in favour of no deal whatsoever (and forcing the EU to sort out the mess) doesn't make any sense.

This whole situation will no doubt cost the UK dearly for several years, but unless the EU sharpen up their act and start living in the real world, it could spell disaster for them - if they can make a total pig's ear of Brexit, just imagine what will happen when a Eurozone member decides it has had enough too. Brexit need not be so hard, but alas one gets the feeling that the EU are, once again, 100% committed to achieving the wrong goal i.e. blocking Brexit.

That's because No Brexit is not an option.

As you can imagine, I don't agree with this.
But I'm tired, this whole subject is depressing and exhausting. It's a never ending torrent of **** that's only conclusion is frustration and the country I happen to have been born in and live being made substantially worse off due to lying, cheating millionaires.

Prior to the vote I distanced myself from the news and from politics. The rise of UKIP and the BNP lead the charge for ignorance and hatred that I could no longer stomach and I feel I'm back there again.

No. Shutters are common on the mainland but not up here.
I've lived in 3 or 4 houses with shutters, non of them worked :lol:
Screens not shutters. Wind in, bugs out:
f06c93d3b9fa9366e8040392fb385a78.jpg

Nope they aren't common, Like any form of cooling isn't common in houses, hell even the walls are thick as the gates of hell.

I don't get an issue during the day, during the night I just switch all the lights off and the bugs don't care.

I don't get an issue during the day, during the night I just switch all the lights off and the bugs don't care.
Pretty much;
Press - KILLER HEATWAVE
me - guess I'll open the window then...
Press - KILLER FREEZING STORM
me - guess I'll turn up the thermostat then...

Like the UK has the most mild weather going, even in the last few years, all that's changed is now we get a proper winter with a decent chance of SOME snow and a warm summer

As you can imagine, I don't agree with this.
But I'm tired, this whole subject is depressing and exhausting. It's a never ending torrent of **** that's only conclusion is frustration and the country I happen to have been born in and live being made substantially worse off due to lying, cheating millionaires.

Can't think who you're talking about....

574eaeeb160000ab02f94f29.jpeg

baldgye
Prior to the vote I distanced myself from the news and from politics. The rise of UKIP and the BNP lead the charge for ignorance and hatred that I could no longer stomach and I feel I'm back there again.
What I find crazy is that poll suggesting 1/4 would back a far-right, anti-immigration, anti-Islam party.

Imagine the outcry if there was a "anti-Jewish" or "anti-Hindu" party.

I think there are some deep fractures in British society because of the recalcitrance of the political elite over the past few decades.

The rise of the right is due to desperation as usual. Now the issue is, why are they desperate? Our country isn't in the hole like many places were in the 30s.

After some discussion with one of my uni lecturers (I will pm details if you really want an email debate haha but doubt he will appreciate everyone bombarding him.) we kind of came to the conclusion that society is changing too fast. Look at the Meji restoration and the Satsuma rebellion in Japan, they had a civil war over it.

Now some people consider my use of 'uni lecturer' as a cop out 'cough' @Spurgy 777 'cough'. To which I ask you one thing. Why is the word of someone who has a job studying issues like this worth less than if it is written or if it was said some 200 years ago? If you want verification that he actually agrees with that point you can email him.

The rise of the right is due to desperation as usual. Now the issue is, why are they desperate? Our country isn't in the hole like many places were in the 30s.

After some discussion with one of my uni lecturers (I will pm details if you really want an email debate haha but doubt he will appreciate everyone bombarding him.) we kind of came to the conclusion that society is changing too fast. Look at the Meji restoration in Japan, they had a civil war over it.

Now some people consider my use of 'uni lecturer' as a cop out 'cough' @Spurgy 777 'cough'. To which I ask you one thing. Why is the word of someone who has a job studying issues like this worth less than if it is written or if it was said some 200 years ago? If you want verification that he actually agrees with that point you can email him.
I don't really agree, but I do think the world is getting to complex for some people, and maybe that is 'society changing too quickly', at least for some. Brexit is a prime example, a simple solution to fix a simple problem, right?

The (of the many) problems with these far right movements is they basically involve pushing the poor into poverty, which only worsens the problem and grows resentment.
I agree with Henry, the political class of elites has ruled the country for so long and from such a distance that they have no grasp of the public and the public no grasp of them. So when someone who seems relatable and normal (Farage/Clegg) people latch onto them.

I would love some of these for my house, no idea how they would fit with our window types though. Our main issue is that we mostly get warm at night as we live on a busy road and can't keep the windows open or it'll be too noisy to sleep. It's bad enough having farmers come through the town in enormous tractors making the house shake at 5am.

On the topic of papers, I read on Twitter yesterday that The Mail and The Sun often have completely contradicting stories in their Irish and UK papers.

I would love some of these for my house, no idea how they would fit with our window types though. Our main issue is that we mostly get warm at night as we live on a busy road and can't keep the windows open or it'll be too noisy to sleep. It's bad enough having farmers come through the town in enormous tractors making the house shake at 5am.
Over here the windows come ready made with screens but you can retrofit a pseudo screen with velcro:
velcro-mesh-500x500.jpg

After some discussion with one of my uni lecturers (I will pm details if you really want an email debate haha but doubt he will appreciate everyone bombarding him.) we kind of came to the conclusion that society is changing too fast. Look at the Meji restoration and the Satsuma rebellion in Japan, they had a civil war over it.

I think your lecturer might be on to something. IMO the majority of most westerners are generally conservative by nature. We tend to prefer slower, more measured and calculated change. Most of us want to move forward we just want to do it in measured and easy to understand steps.

How would that help with his noise issues at night?
Pretty sure you know the answer already but for reference, the first post I responded to about screens was complaining about heat and worried about the cats jumping out the window. Screens will fix both of those problems.

At the moment the heat is pretty unbearable, kinda wish I had netting on windows atm so I could open them at night. UK houses being brick and concrete hold heat like anything and as no one has air conditioning it's like being in a pizza oven. Downstairs is cooler though, might sleep down there if this continues. I took down desk fans from the loft that haven't been used for like 20 years!

At the moment the heat is pretty unbearable, kinda wish I had netting on windows atm so I could open them at night. UK houses being brick and concrete hold heat like anything and as no one has air conditioning it's like being in a pizza oven. Downstairs is cooler though, might sleep down there if this continues. I took down desk fans from the loft that haven't been used for like 20 years!
Yeh people complain that we can't take the heat or the cold but remember those are affecting different things.

In the winter, the roads aren't properly maintained and no one is taught how to drive in low grip conditions. Houses however are wonderful and warm mostly.
In the summer the cars are lovely and cool whilst the houses cook you.

Still I like it hot, I plan to move abroad when I can.

The trick with this hot weather is to figure out when you can open the windows. I had everything shut until 19.00 and that was too early, the temperature went from 25,5 to 27 in less than an hour, and at 21.30 it finally started dropping again.

I do have the benefit of being able to stay awake until the middle of the night so I can keep the windows and back door open to keep that draft going. But I need to do it, as the temperature will go up steadily this week, and on Thursday and Friday they're predicting an average of 35 and higher, so local temps may push 40.

Yeh people complain that we can't take the heat or the cold but remember those are affecting different things.

In the winter, the roads aren't properly maintained and no one is taught how to drive in low grip conditions. Houses however are wonderful and warm mostly.
In the summer the cars are lovely and cool whilst the houses cook you.

Still I like it hot, I plan to move abroad when I can.

I liked that the UK used to have a pretty stable climate, it was mild winters and mild summers with the odd spike. Now it's the opposite way round and this year has certainly seen one of the biggest swings with the 'beast from the east' then this. It's nice when it's hot but not in a country that's not equipped to deal with heat. If we all had air cons and swimming pools all this would be much more enjoyable!

When I lived in a brick house I didn’t have this issue...

Live in the city centre now and pretty much have all the windows open all the time without issue.

Back