Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,479 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think May will have to resign after this conference - she is completely deluded about her Brexit plan; the Brexiters have rejected it, Labour have rejected it, and, more importantly, the EU have totally rejected it. It isn't going to work.

Papers are already beginning to speculate that Theresa May's 'trump' card is to back down on the Irish Sea border idea in the hope that the EU will allow the whole of the UK to remain in a single customs area that is aligned to the EU. But that has been rejected outright by the EU - in essence it is a trick to make it look like we have conceded something major (a 'red line') in exchange for the EU breaking one of its own red lines, but in fact we haven't conceded anything. The idea all along with Chequers is for the whole of the UK to stay in 'a' Customs Union and, thus, the Single Market, but without the free movement of people. There will be a cold day in Hell before that happens. And besides, the DUP are going to vote it down anyway. It's a dead duck and unfortunately for her, Theresa May has staked her Premiership on it. She is toast.

Ironically, she claims that Boris Johnson's plan (such as it is) 'rips up our guarantee to the people of Northern Ireland'. Actually, that couldn't be further from the truth. His plan, while it doesn't amount to much, would at least force the hand of the EU - rip up the Irish backstop, and Brexit cannot proceed until the EU figures out how to impose a Customs border in Ireland. As I've said before, that will never happen - the UK and Irish governments are both 100% opposed to it, and the EU would basically have to expel Ireland - and that would spell the end of the EU. While there is no Irish backstop agreement, there can be no Brexit - hence that move would, however controversially, basically force the EU to actually start negotiating - something it has been steadfastly refusing to do thus far. Johnson is an odious twit of a man, but he has one massive advantage over Theresa May insomuch as his idea stands a chance of working, while Theresa May's literally has no chance.

Under normal circumstances she would have had to resign after the disaster of an election but no, she clung on using the most outrageous strategies.
Robot dancing.

If you mean hilarious like watching your mate play "will it blend" with his penis, then yeah, absolutely hilarious!

I'm reminded of a game of Politically Astute, Self-Serving Egotist versus Dangerously Underqualified Chancer. (Passé-Duc for short).

As I recall, the board had quadrants for Johnson, May, Rees-Mogg and Rudd. Andrea Leadsom was reported to have tripped over the pointer.

Can I just highlight my indignation at the fact that Stormont is still suspended, by the way?

All the talk about Ireland, Irish Sea, Irish border and whatever, and the devolved Northern Irish Assembly has been suspended since January 2017. The devolved body which represents Northern Ireland and Northern Irish interests, provides an executive body for Northern Ireland, it has been suspended for 615 days (26th January 2017). Six hundred and fifteen!

If I was from Northern Ireland, or the North of Ireland, whatever you choose to call it, I would be absolutely furious at this deadlock. In these extremely worrying times where a plurality of Northern Ireland voted to Remain but the party with the Assembly plurality supports Leave, there isn't any opportunity for the representatives voted for by the people of Northern Ireland to discuss these things. Nope. Suspended. Not working. Suck it up.

Oh but don't worry, MLAs still get full pay whilst the Assembly is suspended. So why bother trying to get it up and running again? It's not like anything is at stake here. It's not like Arlene Foster supports repealling the Good Friday Agreement or anything, or her party has been involved in the massive woodchip energy defraud, or countless other farcical escapades.

She gets all the airtime and vaunted publicity as the "leader" of Northern Ireland but she isn't. Her executive failed and the position of First Minister is vacant. As vacant as the heads of those involved in the decision making.

Can I just highlight my indignation at the fact that Stormont is still suspended, by the way?

All the talk about Ireland, Irish Sea, Irish border and whatever, and the devolved Northern Irish Assembly has been suspended since January 2017. The devolved body which represents Northern Ireland and Northern Irish interests, provides an executive body for Northern Ireland, it has been suspended for 615 days (26th January 2017). Six hundred and fifteen!

If I was from Northern Ireland, or the North of Ireland, whatever you choose to call it, I would be absolutely furious at this deadlock. In these extremely worrying times where a plurality of Northern Ireland voted to Remain but the party with the Assembly plurality supports Leave, there isn't any opportunity for the representatives voted for by the people of Northern Ireland to discuss these things. Nope. Suspended. Not working. Suck it up.

Oh but don't worry, MLAs still get full pay whilst the Assembly is suspended. So why bother trying to get it up and running again? It's not like anything is at stake here. It's not like Arlene Foster supports repealling the Good Friday Agreement or anything, or her party has been involved in the massive woodchip energy defraud, or countless other farcical escapades.

She gets all the airtime and vaunted publicity as the "leader" of Northern Ireland but she isn't. Her executive failed and the position of First Minister is vacant. As vacant as the heads of those involved in the decision making.

And all this occurred before the Brexit debate really got going - can you imagine that shower trying to debate Brexit and the Irish backstop?!

It is a travesty that Northern Ireland is practically ungovernable, but ironically it is something of a fortuitous coincidence that Brexit is playing out while Stormont is in a state of paralysis.

If she did, would it further split the Tories? I can't imagine all would band together behind Bojo
Johnson will most likely not be the next PM but rather he is the driving force that is capable of ousting Theresa May - my money is on Jeremy Hunt to be the next PM.

Johnson will most likely not be the next PM but rather he is the driving force that is capable of ousting Theresa May - my money is on Jeremy Hunt to be the next PM.

You could be right, he looks the most like PM material from that bunch of cretinous fools.... though given that the conference is 5mins away from my flat, I wish I could have gone to see it... if May does crash and burn, would have been something to see in person..

And all this occurred before the Brexit debate really got going - can you imagine that shower trying to debate Brexit and the Irish backstop?!

Chaos, so it is.

But still, the people of Northern Ireland deserve to have their representatives at least trying to work, to discuss what will have an indelible mark on the history of the country. At least pretending to care, instead of picking up their full salaries, complimented expenses and doing seemingly nothing to resolve the deadlock.

If you're in Northern Ireland right now and you go to your local MLA's surgery, what can s/he do? Pretty much 🤬 all.

That's the sort of dance you do after coming back from the bogs in a nightclub to do a line of beak.

I reckon she should have come out dancing to 'Knowing Me, Knowing EU' instead.
"I'm nobody's fool and yet it's clear to me
I don't have a strategy
It's just like taking candy from a baby and I think I must be under attack"

"I'm nobody's fool and yet it's clear to me
I don't have a strategy
It's just like taking candy from a baby and I think I must be under attack"

"At Waterloo Napoleon did surrender... and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way" is probably one of the best-selling (and weirdest) lines in pop history and would be even more appropriate. Not a very punny title, sadly.

"At Waterloo Napoleon did surrender... and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way" is probably one of the best-selling (and weirdest) lines in pop history and would be even more appropriate. Not a very punny title, sadly.
Their first and last chart entries.

I reckon she should have come out dancing to 'Knowing Me, Knowing EU' instead.

p0370l5k.jpg

Partridge definitely votes Tory.

Back