Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think this is the right thread to post this

policecar.jpg

:D

That's a good idea. Gets the message across.

Privately. If the government contracts to have them done no doubt they'll be at least £1500/each.:sly:

Yeah, and that's the odd thing. We all know that the public sector's procurement policy is shocking, but they do have internal departments who build and adapt the cars for police use, so I can't see why they can't fit the bull bars at the same time....

I wonder if Diane ever actually reads anything before opening her mouth... :rolleyes:
You know I moan periodically - on here and on Twitter - about how dumb and lazy the scammers who phone you up from "your internet service provider" are? They caught her. They actually caught her.

The most useless, inept and unconvincing phishing scam in history, and it caught the woman who would be our Home Secretary in a Corbyn government.

I wonder if Diane ever actually reads anything before opening her mouth... :rolleyes:

:lol: I'd love to know what Diane Abbott holds over people in power at the Labour Party, surely the race or the woman cards alone aren't enough to keep her where she is these days. She must have something as there is no way someone so stupid and useless could possibly hold on to a position of hers for so long!

6738584-0-image-m-6_1543399136743.jpg

6738414-0-image-m-4_1543398843372.jpg
At the risk of being unpopular, I kind of agree with her idea. I'm not* really a huge fan of ramming scooters.

I’d like to see the statistics on it, though I imagine it’s far too early for them to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Last edited:
At the risk of being unpopular, I kind of agree with her idea. I'm not* really a huge fan of ramming scooters.

I’d like to see the statistics on it, though I imagine it’s far too early for them to draw any meaningful conclusions.
It's just TPAC but with bikes.

It's a scenario that the various roads policing units have trained for, and they can perform with as minimised a risk as possible. Like TPAC, there's never zero risk and real-life situations may not reflect the training at Chobham, but it's a technique with as close to no risk as you can get while still bringing two road vehicles into contact.

While the perception of this story is that the police are now routinely ramming stolen mopeds where they couldn't before, the facts are that it's just a change in policy from not allowing it most of the time to allowing it some of the time - and it's only TPAC-trained drivers who are allowed. In any given pursuit a TPAC-trained driver must request and be granted TPAC clearance from control before engaging in any such technique with any target vehicle of any kind. The procedure has simply changed from it being routinely denied in a car/bike pursuit to more often granted.

I was only told about this when my dad came over to visit me last week; apparently mopeds and bikes are very common in thefts in London for obvious reasons as well as mopeds themselves being stolen. The doctrine of police pursuits has always been "containment" but now there's a bit more of a push (intended) to get thieves and fleërs to stop on their bikes when chased by police by a trained area car driver. I doubt just any copper can ram who they want.

I can see both sides of it; police will call off a pursuit if it is deemed "too dangerous" but surely that fleër is still a danger to other road users? It's the job of the police to ensure the safety of other road users and pedestrians too; a "too dangerous" fleër runs a risk of hitting someone else other than a police car. They're more likely to kill or be killed in a 'normal' RTA rather than a police driver applying a trained technique.

There will be an accident one day too. Some case of mistaken identity and a witch hunt on how the police "knocked down an innocent rider" but I can personally live with the chances of that happening. For someone who is a thief trying to escape, I've no sympathy if you don't stop when told to. Their mum's sob story in the local rag or Murdoch sheet is outweighed by the crime the thief had already committed.

It's just TPAC but with bikes.

It's a scenario that the various roads policing units have trained for, and they can perform with as minimised a risk as possible. Like TPAC, there's never zero risk and real-life situations may not reflect the training at Chobham, but it's a technique with as close to no risk as you can get while still bringing two road vehicles into contact.

While the perception of this story is that the police are now routinely ramming stolen mopeds where they couldn't before, the facts are that it's just a change in policy from not allowing it most of the time to allowing it some of the time - and it's only TPAC-trained drivers who are allowed. In any given pursuit a TPAC-trained driver must request and be granted TPAC clearance from control before engaging in any such technique with any target vehicle of any kind. The procedure has simply changed from it being routinely denied in a car/bike pursuit to more often granted.
Yeah I didn’t think that just any copper was just ramming any old kid on a scooter...

I’m guessing they are publicising it as a deterrent* more than anything?
But I’d be curious to see how effective it actually is.

Edit: My stance is that in an idea world the police never need to chase these drivers in the first place because they know who they are and where they'll be going. This isn't always practical but I do worry that with more and more police out on the streets and less actual police work going on, we are/have moved into a reactive instead of a pro-active police force.

Last edited:
The Police don't really need to knock them over, the plonkers do it themselves... :lol:

giphy.gif

:lol: I'd love to know what Diane Abbott holds over people in power at the Labour Party, surely the race or the woman cards alone aren't enough to keep her where she is these days. She must have something as there is no way someone so stupid and useless could possibly hold on to a position of hers for so long!

She had a thing with the boss back in the day ;)

These are pretty low speed events in tight city streets, it wouldn't be much worse than falling off your bike. I'm sure the Police would be able to judge whats an unsave speed to knock someone off and wouldn't attempt it if it was going to cause serious injury. The deterrent effect of this policy alone will have a positive impact, so in theory it should lead to less people being knocked off.

I'm even less of a fan of people being attacked with acid and hammers (or even just robbed in the street as happened to a friend of mine). I'm totally behind them if they want to give it a bit more throttle when approaching one of these scooter riding bellends, but as it is they're using tactical contact to bring them to a halt. Nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to police pursuits.

I'm even less of a fan of people being attacked with acid and hammers (or even just robbed in the street as happened to a friend of mine). I'm totally behind them if they want to give it a bit more throttle when approaching one of these scooter riding bellends, but as it is they're using tactical contact to bring them to a halt. Nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to police pursuits.
I'm opposed to rape, but I'm not sure what relevance that has to bumping kids of scooters... personally I'm more interested in the police working to prevent crimes rather than reacting to them, as I said above;

My stance is that in an idea world the police never need to chase these drivers in the first place because they know who they are and where they'll be going. This isn't always practical but I do worry that with more and more police out on the streets and less actual police work going on, we are/have moved into a reactive instead of a pro-active police force.

I'm opposed to rape, but I'm not sure what relevance that has to bumping kids of scooters...

A guy was jailed last year for carrying out 6 acid attacks within 90 minutes on moped riders to try and steal their vehicles, and Chris Harris was just posting on Twitter this morning about how he was hit in the head with a hammer by someone on a scooter trying to steal his bike.

personally I'm more interested in the police working to prevent crimes rather than reacting to them, as I said above;

That would be ideal and I too would like to see that but given what they're working with I'd say they're doing the right thing.

I commend the work, but, aren't they literally covering it by putting it on their cover?

They're doing it to make a point about the non-admittance of the newspaper. Sometimes you have to highlight things you otherwise wouldn't to make a point otherwise it won't be noticed or commented on by others. Had the paper totally ignored the trip and not done it like that and not mentioned it at all, I bet most people wouldn't know that The National had been refused press coverage for the Prime Minister's trip. It's quite the egregious thing considering it's a Scottish paper covering a Scottish visit. A free press argument is one thing but politicians are to be held to account by us, their voters.

They did it on the inside too.

They're doing it to make a point about the non-admittance of the newspaper. Sometimes you have to highlight things you otherwise wouldn't to make a point otherwise it won't be noticed or commented on by others. Had the paper totally ignored the trip and not done it like that and not mentioned it at all, I bet most people wouldn't know that The National had been refused press coverage for the Prime Minister's trip. It's quite the egregious thing considering it's a Scottish paper covering a Scottish visit. A free press argument is one thing but politicians are to be held to account by us, their voters.

They did it on the inside too.

Oh yeah I totally agree and I clicked through to see the inside, I was just being pedantic :P

I'm sure it's a total coincidence that The National is a newspaper that supports Scottish independence and would be a harsh critic of the government.

I'm sure it's a total coincidence that The National is a newspaper that supports Scottish independence and would be a harsh critic of the government.

Looking more into it, it could be for any number of reasons; It's new (founded in 2014), while it does cover various issues it seems to focus on a single issue (said independence) and it's circulation is the second lowest for Scottish regional papers (the exception of the Paisley Daily Express).

via

I am a little suspicious of this. Like May just outright accepted a deal without even informing her opponent, I feel the BBC may be a bit biased and she knows it.

Latest Posts

Back