Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMO, class sizes of 30+ are workable if all the students are fairly well and equally prepared, motivated and like-minded in their determination to successfully complete the course work.

Yep. That sounds like an average group of children to me.

You can't get the state anything to be as good as the private anything, because the state version is by definition the minimum standard (and designed to cover the middle of the bell curve so it captures the needs of the most amount of people, for the least amount of money). The private sector needs to provide more/better to justify people abandoning the FAPOU minimum standard and paying for the alternative, or it will fail.
The state system could still achieve the aforementioned standard, but it would then be for the private system to get better.

IMO, class sizes of 30+ are workable if all the students are fairly well and equally prepared, motivated and like-minded in their determination to successfully complete the course work. But if you've got a room full of smart alecks, fighters, morons, sleepers and druggies, then the 30+ class is especially ideal for a small nation trying to compete for success against larger nations.
If you are after the minimum level of knowledge transfer and retention at best.

Twenty years in private sector training I would argue that you want to be looking at between 8 and 10 people to maximise retention with the ability to run group activities.

The state system could still achieve the aforementioned standard, but it would then be for the private system to get better.

The private system will (after time) always be better, but the state system is failing the children.

Last edited:
The private system will (after time) always be better, but the state system is failing the children.
It has been doing that for decades. It is a race to teach kids to pass a test to make the school look good rather than educate them.

Apologies for the double post, but...

Personal anecdote; I must have flown about 50 times in my life now and not once, not once have I flown with a flagship airline or premium carrier. Why would I pay £300 to fly with British Airways or Austrian Airlines to Manchester when Ryanair does it for £70?

m'eh, supporting Ryanair is the same as supporting slavery, in my humble, personal, experience based opinion.

EDIT: Not a double post thanks to @TenEightyOne....

So now that your government has been stuffed by Europe again, are they about to hold another vote now that everybody knows how ridiculous this Brexit deal is? This is an absolute disaster and I'm not sure why y'all haven't tried to abandon it yet and admit defeat. Well I know why the government won't, but are the people still about this cluster?

supporting Ryanair is the same as supporting slavery, in my humble, personal, experience based opinion.

Well, they are the only carrier that flies to Bratislava airport with flights to England so my hands are tied in that regard.

If I was going to fly with a flagship who will rob me blind, I have to go to Vienna airport instead.

https://lens.monash.edu/2018/02/01/1308581/spending-more-on-private-schools-doesnt-guarantee-success
Slightly off topic but the debate over Private V Public education got my attention. Some interesting data on the topic, some may just be wasting money in alot of cases by the look of it.

That’s based in Australia, I’m not sure how it compares to the U.K. though.
The below link (granted to the telegraph) suggests the exact opposite when comparing GCSE results from a 2016 study.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educati...of-state-educated-peers-by-the-age-of-16.html

EDIT: Though I don't think that a fair or balanced assessment of any school can only be done through GCSE results or something similar.

Last edited:
Well, they are the only carrier that flies to Bratislava airport with flights to England so my hands are tied in that regard.

If I was going to fly with a flagship who will rob me blind, I have to go to Vienna airport instead.
Ryanair is literally the worst airline I've ever flown with. I still can't get over how much like tube trains their donkey crap planes look in the cabin. Even EasyJet is better, although a little eye-straining.

And BA can do one as well. On balance, I think my preferred carrier is KLM.

Ryanair is literally the worst airline I've ever flown with. I still can't get over how much like tube trains their donkey crap planes look in the cabin. Even EasyJet is better, although a little eye-straining.

And BA can do one as well. On balance, I think my preferred carrier is KLM.

I'm not saying Ryanair is great, just that it's the one I use. They fly to my local airport.

If I had the money, I would spend an extra two hours getting into and through Vienna airport and flying with Austrian Airlines to go back to Manchester but I... uh, don't.

I'm not saying Ryanair is great, just that it's the one I use. They fly to my local airport.
That's how you know you live in a chav destination :D

WizzAir does BTS/LTN. I imagine you've probably tried them, or Luton is unreasonably far away from your UK endpoint (and cack)?

That's how you know you live in a chav destination :D

WizzAir does BTS/LTN. I imagine you've probably tried them, or Luton is unreasonably far away from your UK endpoint (and cack)?

WizzAir is a terrible airline. And yes, Flintshire is quite far away from Luton.

The only other low-cost option is easyJet Vienna-Liverpool. But asking whether you fancy a Ryanair to Manchester or an easyJet to Liverpool is like asking if you want to be stabbed or shot.

On balance, I think my preferred carrier is KLM.

Out here by the vale (east of you) people often take a taxi flight to Schiphol from Humberside Airport and then fly the long portion from there. The best way to travel from the UK seems to be to get out by whatever means possible and plan the journey there :D

Now I think of it there's some sort of analogy there.

Morals are for those with deep pockets.

You should explain that concept to Michael O'Leary.

If it's the only route available then I understand it makes it a tougher choice, but if you're using an unsustainable and unnecessarily low flight cost to judge that another carrier is robbing you blind, then I think your conclusion is flawed.

You should explain that concept to Michael O'Leary.

If it's the only route available then I understand it makes it a tougher choice, but if you're using an unsustainable and unnecessarily low flight cost to judge that another carrier is robbing you blind, then I think your conclusion is flawed.
There is a reason why budget airlines are able to make their flights Soo cheap though, they buy planes in bulk of the exact same style to get a bulk discount from the manufacturer, they also tend to use the most efficient planes when they buy them in bulk to save on fuel costs, they make all the interiors the same to save costs on bulk coach building, and instead of using big expensive airports they go for the cheaper regional airports that have less costs to have their plane there.

Most also get starting pilots who don't cost as much to hire, the downside being you get less experience and high turn over.

There is a reason why budget airlines are able to make their flights Soo cheap though, they buy planes in bulk of the exact same style to get a bulk discount from the manufacturer, they also tend to use the most efficient planes when they buy them in bulk to save on fuel costs, they make all the interiors the same to save costs on bulk coach building, and instead of using big expensive airports they go for the cheaper regional airports that have less costs to have their plane there.

Most also get starting pilots who don't cost as much to hire, the downside being you get less experience and high turn over.

Peachy... I don't really care about multi-billion Euro investments... I'm sure my girlfriend will be happy the aerospace industry is making billions hand over fist when she's asking me to send her money so she can buy food.

On balance I think that's the right decision, unless he really loves driving. I'm not sure whether his age was a major factor int he accident, but there are very few other OAPs who can easily resort to having someone chauffeur them around.

He strikes me as the kind of person who has too much pride to want to give up the independence and freedom that driving gives you.

I think the fact that he has a large amount of private land to still be able to enjoy driving around without a licence has something to do with the willingness to give it up. I guess the amount of time he was on public roads these days was minimal, basically just to cross over to other pieces of private land! For any other stuff he would likely be driven around anyway. Either way I think its the right decision, he had quite a big accident and that should make anyone that age think about whether it is still worth the risk to himself and others.

Jihadi bride who left Bethnal Green to join ISIS wants to "come home":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47229181

giphy.gif

Back