Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,479 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've come to the conclusion that although democracy might be the best idea, what people actually want is a dictator that shares their views.

Benevolent dictatorship is the preferred sort. But who comes next? Aerys II the Mad King?

An far tuna knit sub tie tolls:

CatMeat.jpg

The PA are quoting sources "close to police" that say the Reading park stabbing is being treated as a terrorist incident. EDIT: not any more. That was PA at 3am ish.

The details are still sketchy but three people are reported to have died and two or more are being treated for injuries.

EDIT: more from the BBC

Last edited:
I hope the investigation goes a bit deeper than "the perpetrator is a Libyan, therefore it must be a terror attack of some kind, motives to be determined later".

Definitely, the guy might just be a nutter who is predisposed to being incredibly violent.

If the Press Association is right about the man behind this, I don't understand why he was allowed to stay in this country after being convicted of two violent crimes. I thought they were all meant to be deported?

I don't understand why he was allowed to stay in this country after being convicted of two violent crimes.

PA link?

I thought they were all meant to be deported?

Doesn't work like that unfortunately.

EDIT: I can only find The Mail reporting his prison time so far, they say he served "up to 12 months" for "relatively minor offences". Regardless of the asylum claim he made after converting to christianity it doesn't seem that his sentence was long enough for deportation, although any foreign national can be deported by the Home Secretary on review.

Last edited:

See Dotini's link above. As I said, it's not confirmed this is the same guy, but it does seem very likely.

Doesn't work like that unfortunately.

EDIT: I can only find The Mail reporting his prison time so far, they say he served "up to 12 months" for "relatively minor offences". Regardless of the asylum claim he made after converting to christianity it doesn't seem that his sentence was long enough for deportation, although any foreign national can be deported by the Home Secretary on review.

Right, I want aware of the minimum term, I just thought it was all violent crimes. If it then falls within the rules, then there's not much which can be done.

If it turns out to be an asylum seeker who likes to stab people, all I can say is that he can't be right in the head. Hope they get to the bottom of this so the authorities can take the appropriate measures to safeguard the public, whether this involves deportation or a long stay in a psychiatric facility (to which the key is lost in the trash until further notice). Or we can go full conspiracy on this and say that he just might have been some kind of bad actor paid to make the police look good but I really really hope that this is nothing more than paranoid pre-breakfast ramblings on my part.

See Dotini's link above. As I said, it's not confirmed this is the same guy, but it does seem very likely.

Ah, I looked at that. It mentioned two assaults (can mean anything), although clearly one was severe enough to warrant a two month prison sentence, they don't say if that was served or suspended. I didn't see anything there that said he'd been convicted of two violent crimes. I'm not saying he hasn't been (it's obviously credible that he could have form), I just haven't seen a source saying that.

I read in the morning NY Times that " a Reading man of that name who is the same age as the suspect was sentenced to two months in prison last year for assaulting an emergency worker. The same man was also charged last year with assaulting a judge who had sentenced him."

If he is an asylum seeker then I'm not sure there's anywhere we're allowed to deport him back to. Whether or not he's locked up for a long time though as I hope, though, I'm sure the usual suspects will come out of the woodwork to complain that he should have received harsher treatment than a born and bred Brit convicted of the same crimes simply because he's a Muslim-sounding foreigner and that not to do so was a clear case of political correctness gone mad.

Perhaps he was off his meds like previous murderers with mental health issues but one thing's for sure: this tragic crime has come at just the right time to stir up controversy and dominate the headlines to the exclusion of all else for some time to come.

Last edited:
If it turns out to be an asylum seeker who likes to stab people, all I can say is that he can't be right in the head.
Perhaps he was off his meds like previous murderers with mental health issues but one thing's for sure: this tragic crime has come at just the right time to stir up controversy and dominate the headlines to the exclusion of all else for some time to come.

Absolutely, this could very well be the case, and it's why I haven't said we need to deport him if it's not terror related - he could be someone with mental health issues which needs further assistance, but I doubt this would have been missed early on, and in particular based on his previous actions (if the two cases are the same person).

Ah, I looked at that. It mentioned two assaults (can mean anything), although clearly one was severe enough to warrant a two month prison sentence, they don't say if that was served or suspended. I didn't see anything there that said he'd been convicted of two violent crimes. I'm not saying he hasn't been (it's obviously credible that he could have form), I just haven't seen a source saying that.

From what I understand, the sentence was served, but reduced under appeal - 'offences included racially aggravated assault, knife offences and criminal damage. While in custody he defaced a copy of the police code of practice 'with his own excrement'. In January 2019 he was also involved in an altercation with a security guard, during which he struck the man in the face with his belt.

'In September 2019 Saadallah was jailed for 10 weeks after admitting spitting at District Judge Sophie Toms as she sentenced him six months earlier at Reading Magistrates' Court for two previous convictions.'

Saadallah, 25, had his jail term for non-terror-related offences cut from 25 months and 20 days to 17 months and 20 days, because alleged mental health issues excuse such repeated behaviour, instead of treating it properly. Also, he was released from prison halfway through his sentence.

I know it's the Daily Fail, but: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ing-attack-brilliant-loving-American-man.html

Again, this is all assuming it's the same person, which does seem likely given the nature of previous crimes.

Why, who should he fire next?

It's not as simple as saying Long-Bailey tweeted that the Jews were bad. What she actually did was post an interview with Maxine Peake alleging that the US cops who killed George Floyd learnt the knee on neck restraining technique from Israeli officers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...keir-starmer-black-lives-matter-a9583206.html

Now criticising Israel isn't the same as saying Jews are bad. Here is an article supporting her claim.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-us-police-training-end-knee-neck-protests

However Amnesty International have distanced themselves from the allegation.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...ver-reported-neck-kneeling-taught-israelis-us

So it's a bit more nuanced than a straight anti-Semitic tweet. However if Long-Bailey tweeted knowing that the allegation was untrue then she may have been doing it to implicate Israel as instigators of a race war in the US according to this tweeter.

Either way she probably should have known better so Sir Keir was probably right to sack her.

Last edited:
There are reports that at least 3 people have been injured, possibly fatally, in a stabbing in the stairwell of a Glasgow hotel. BBC.

EDIT: Update is that 3 people have indeed died, armed police shot the attacker dead at the scene.

Last edited:
Shocking news - BBC is reporting that the hotel was being used to house asylum seekers during the pandemic.

They also say that the suspect is one of the dead.

Back