Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,479 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both are el-****-holio? No, whatev's, IDK.

It's where he's buried, reputedly overlooking the playing fields of two schools.

Yes, you are no longer a knight when you die as it is automatically defunct upon death and to take a knighthood away from a dead person, you'd have to give it back to them first.

Yep. After the public outcry that the dead serial rapist and abuser couldn't be un-knighted the government announced that it would review the procedure. I don't know if they ever did but there was no need to change it, dead men automatically rescind their knighthoods so no further procedure is required. Nonetheless, the promise of immediate review satisfied tabloid readers across the country that Something Was Being Done About This Sort Of Thing.

So.. for the duration of his knighthood his penchant for underage girls was... unrecognised I guess.

Yes. No. There were quite widely circulated rumours, it seems, but seemingly nobody in power gave credit to any specific claims. In many cases the circumstances meant that many people didn't come forward with their stories until they realised they could be heard and believed. There are certainly many, many other victims who have never been identified or spoken to. Some will have taken it to their grave without ever knowing that people would have believed them, at least eventually.

That's not to blame any victims though - I'm sure there were people in power who knew something, who should have acted on it and who are responsible for Savile's ability to continue unchecked.

Last edited:
So.. for the duration of his knighthood his penchant for underage girls was... unrecognised I guess.
I mean, to be entirely fair (and that's a pretty interesting way to start a sentence about Savile), it wasn't just girls or underage ones. He'd rape anything human, and by all accounts his proclivities were not only known (within certain circles*) but actually enabled. Even so, his knighthood was advised against in the strongest of terms but effectively pushed through by Thatcher - though back then in 1990/1 the allegations were more about him taking advantage of legal-age women than what later arose.

But yes, both his Crown and Papal knighthoods expired when he did.

It's where he's buried
At a 45 tilt, in order that the top faces the sea... ish. I thought he'd been exhumed, but it's only the headstone that's been destroyed.

*Though it did occasionally leak beyond that; I recall when I was at university there was a transcript of an out-take from a HIGNFY episode which Savile appeared on in 1999 that did the rounds. It was fake, in that it never happened, but elements of it were drawn from reality

I think the issue with the outcry about rescinding knighthoods is that prior to Sir James Savile OBE, it wasn't particularly well known that technically all knighthood bachelors become defunct when the knight dies. However even as true as that is, many knights are still referred to as Sir Whatever even when they're dead.

I'll pick a few random dead people who had knighthoods and see what their Wiki page starts with:

James Graham (physician)
Sir James Graham...

Edwin Lutyens
Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens...

Stanley Matthews
Sir Stanley Matthews...

Even Jimmy Savile's itself still does
Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile OBE KCSG...

It's a want for a tangible acknowledgement that this person's "honour" has been, for want of a better phrase, unpersoned. Even if it's already true that he isn't a knight, whether people know/knew that or not, he shouldn't remain a Sir... even in death.

I mean, as some people have already alluded to, the fact that he got these honours in the first place highlights the screening process for these sorts of things. And it'll only end up sliding into talking about the Westminster paedo rings we're not supposed to know about.

---

Sure. Good for Lewis Hamilton. If he cares. Monaco is trending on Twitter so no matter what he does, gammon froth will always be there. Whatever.

Last edited:
Next week's weather forecast providing a scary visual metaphor for the coronavirus situation in the UK right now...*

sLwKfkS.jpeg

...although in reality that weather front is actually moving away from the UK...

Last edited:
Britain's Mint issues a new 50 pence piece (it's a £2 coin) in tribute to H. G. Wells. Unfortunately it includes a quote that isn't actually from Wells, the wrong type of Invisible Man's hat, and tripods with four legs. Four.

BBC.

Last edited:
Shaped like an old pound coin.
Coloured like a two pound coin.
Not at all confusing.
The engravings are wrong.
The quote is wrong.
What it tries to honour is wrong.

Lovely. A perfect symbol for 2020s Britain.

Last edited:
So what's the story with these free meals the Westminster plods have outsourced? It's really easy to be captivated by the emotionally negative reporting of it but is the nub of it really that this catering company is getting £30 a family and basically providing £5 worth of tripe? I've seen the supposed photos and it is pretty horrific if that's considered three days' food and cost £30.

Many others have also shared photos of what the catering company has provided in its private ventures which are obviously spectacularly better. Like I said, it's easy to be roped in by it and I'm trying hard not to be but is it really dish out £5 worth of pleb food and charge the taxpayer £30 for it?

So what's the story with these free meals the Westminster plods have outsourced? It's really easy to be captivated by the emotionally negative reporting of it but is the nub of it really that this catering company is getting £30 a family and basically providing £5 worth of tripe? I've seen the supposed photos and it is pretty horrific if that's considered three days' food and cost £30.

Many others have also shared photos of what the catering company has provided in its private ventures which are obviously spectacularly better. Like I said, it's easy to be roped in by it and I'm trying hard not to be but is it really dish out £5 worth of pleb food and charge the taxpayer £30 for it?

One MP has trying to clarify it by saying it's meant to last five days not ten, and costs £10.50 not £30, which is still double what that food can be bought for in a supermarket. Once again, the Tories seem to be incapable of enacting any kind of public welfare or relief that doesn't involve a private firm profiteering off of it in some way.

but is it really dish out £5 worth of pleb food and charge the taxpayer £30 for it?

This appears to be the case, yes. Unless there are suddenly a lot of people on social media who are all faking roughly the same thing. Some anonymous Chartwells employees have been saying that they are forced to purchase from a particular supplier that charges extraordinary prices for basic items. How true that is I don't know. It's not just that one supplier though, Chartwells are the main offender but Harrison have also been providing some and they're not much better:

ErhTHQdWMAE5B3u

Last edited:
It's like Return of the Milk Snatcher, lol. Plenty of water, though.

Last edited:
This appears to be the case, yes. Unless there are suddenly a lot of people on social media who are all faking roughly the same thing. Some anonymous Chartwells employees have been saying that they are forced to purchase from a particular supplier that charges extraordinary prices for basic items. How true that is I don't know. It's not just that one supplier though, Chartwells are the main offender but Harrison have also been providing some and they're not much better:

ErhTHQdWMAE5B3u
Those pictures on Twitter are pathetic, disgraceful and sad... and it's such a pity that the efforts of so many people to make this happen are being made a fool of by such disgusting profiteering. Even a £20 shopping trip to an average supermarket will get you a heck of a lot more than what some of these companies are providing, but it is at least good to see that the reaction has been immediate and strong, and that these companies are being called out for their obvious failings.

On a lighter note, kudos to whoever's job it is to count the number of flakes in each can of that tuna...

ErhTHQdWMAE5B3u
Beans or it didn't happen.

I wonder how many of these "company's" donated to the conservative party election campaign.

They should have stayed with the voucher system. £30 for the examples I've seen? Where are they shopping? Monaco? Dubai?

I wonder how many of these "company's" donated to the conservative party election campaign.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/free-school-meals-tory-donor-rashford-b1786501.html

Compass Group and its subsidiary Chartwells are under fire after football star and campaigner Marcus Rashford shared photos of Chartwells’ meagre parcels – saying they were “just not good enough”.

Electoral Commission records show Paul Walsh – chairman of Compass Group until he stepped down last month – has given more than £10,000 to the Tory party.

Mr Walsh also signed a joint letter of business leaders urging voters to back the Tories during the 2015 general election campaign.

Last edited:
The absolute cringe when Matt Hancock was being interviewed is leg-crossingly excruciating.

He is a living Alan Partridge with none of the humour.

Back