Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,482 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe the wrong thread for this, but I suppose it is relevant to the cost of living crisis...

I have seen two of the most brazen shoplifters in the last couple of weeks - a dodgy looking guy was 'browsing' the packs of meat in my local shop. As I was being served at the counter, this guy simply walked out with a stack of packs of meat - no bag, no coat, no attempt to hide - the alarm even went off and both members of staff in the shop (including the guy serving me) did nothing.

A couple of weeks ago, another dodgy looking guy picked up a 12 pack of beer cans and casually 'hid' it under his (open) jacket, and just walked out of the shop.

I don't think the staff are even bothering any more. Granted, confronting some of these people could be risky, and short of having security on the door 24/7, there's little they can do to stop people literally just taking whatever they want.

Maybe the wrong thread for this, but I suppose it is relevant to the cost of living crisis...

I have seen two of the most brazen shoplifters in the last couple of weeks - a dodgy looking guy was 'browsing' the packs of meat in my local shop. As I was being served at the counter, this guy simply walked out with a stack of packs of meat - no bag, no coat, no attempt to hide - the alarm even went off and both members of staff in the shop (including the guy serving me) did nothing.

A couple of weeks ago, another dodgy looking guy picked up a 12 pack of beer cans and casually 'hid' it under his (open) jacket, and just walked out of the shop.

I don't think the staff are even bothering any more. Granted, confronting some of these people could be risky, and short of having security on the door 24/7, there's little they can do to stop people literally just taking whatever they want.

We get quite a bit of thievery in our local co-op. They’re the same there because they know the police will do nothing apart from take them to the station and then they’ll be out in no time and back at it, so the police don’t want to bother either.

The staff have been told not to engage with them as it’s not worth getting hurt over and possibly wrangled into potential lawsuits if they do serious harm.

They have a security guard, but the chap has no real power and isn’t much use either. It’s a shame really because we all know everyone is suffering at the moment but they just go that one step beyond.

Personally if someone is stealing food for their kids etc. to eat a meal then I see that in a better light than stealing to sell on and then buy alcohol or drugs.

I was in specsavers buying some new sunglasses and they had to bring them out from the back because people were just walking in and taking them.

I wouldn't care about resignation honours because it's a load of old, backslapping tripe except for the fact that these people are elevated to unelected lawmakers. Stuffing the Lords with cronies and sycophants is as British as defrauding the public purse.

Not sure I follow the Boris gang reasoning that this committee has forced him out. The procedure:

Committee with Tory majority makes a recommendation of suspension.
HoC with Tory majority would have to approve it.
1/10 of his constituents would have to sign a recall petition.
By-election (which he could stand in) - last time he got 52% of the vote/

Instead he just quit.

Not sure I follow the Boris gang reasoning that this committee has forced him out. The procedure:

Committee with Tory majority makes a recommendation of suspension.
HoC with Tory majority would have to approve it.
1/10 of his constituents would have to sign a recall petition.
By-election (which he could stand in) - last time he got 52% of the vote/

Instead he just quit.
And now he has confirmed that he will be a columnist for the Daily Mail....

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

Last edited:
Anybody surprised at Tory policy of deliberate underfunding, defrauding and profit creaming should seek psychological help.
Oh wait, there's no budget for that...

It would make more sense for Shetland based on proximity but I wonder how Norwegian suzerainty would work for Orkney with Shetland in between.

There has been a hatchet job about George Osborne the day before his wedding. The strong rumour is that it is a deadly assassination of explosive magnitude. I'd love to know what it is but doubt the Tory-loving press will do much. Anyone else heard anything?

Back