Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Putting a bet on that 1% chance. The universe is evil and will stick the Tories on us for another 5 years. Young people won't bother voting, the greybeards will screw us again like Brexit.

Putting a bet on that 1% chance. The universe is evil and will stick the Tories on us for another 5 years. Young people won't bother voting, the greybeards will screw us again like Brexit.
I truly evil universe would give us a Conservative/Reform coalition, followed by a Reform takeover and the mandatory teaching in schools of the wisdom of 30p Lee.

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

Labour shafted themselves last time by adopting that smug, studenty, ‘intellectual’ persona, thereby completely alienating themselves from the working class.

Labour shafted themselves last time by adopting that smug, studenty, ‘intellectual’ persona, thereby completely alienating themselves from the working class.
They're appealing to Tory voters to get elected. They did the same thing in 1997 it's just that the Tory vote has shifted much further to the right since then.

They're appealing to Tory voters to get elected. They did the same thing in 1997 it's just that the Tory vote has shifted much further to the right since then.

It wasn’t the same thing in ‘97. In ‘97 they managed to appeal to Tory voters without also alienating the working class.

Last edited:
Pfft, who wants a town with facilities and amenities on their doorstep? Weirdo's.

Let's copy America and have everything out of town. It will help fix our empty high streets.

Last edited:
It's astonishing these loons will defend their self destructive ideal to the extent of sending death threats to the inventor. And when our government endorses such attitudes we're stuck in the mire until we get rid of them.

Pfft, who wants a town with facilities and amenities on their doorstep? Weirdo's.

Let's copy America and have everything out of town. It will help fix our empty high streets.
Yeah it's bizarre.

We have a couple of cookers at work that genuinely believe it's all part of the grand plan so that 'they' can control you.
One of my favourite points of the whole scheme according to the cookers is that your car (if you are allowed one) will be Geo blocked to the specific area that 'they' have granted you permission to be in. Of course when questioned of who 'they' are and why would that be beneficial to them an answer is never forthcoming that isn't absolute dribble.

To borrow from @TexRex,
Mental Illness.

England has rejected the 15-minute city idea
Where do these people live? Who wouldn't want to have convenient things nearby and spend less on gas? I get that conspiracy theories aren't exactly rational, but I'm struggling more than usual to understand how there is backlash against better city planning of all things.

If it's supposed to be about tethering people to a certain spot that's easily done now. We'd all be under house arrest and wait for the They's (TM) rations truck to come around with our illuminated allotted daily supplies.

The UK is already full of 15 minute cities..?
Tell me you didn't read the article without telling me you didn't read the article.

Where do these people live? Who wouldn't want to have convenient things nearby and spend less on gas? I get that conspiracy theories aren't exactly rational, but I'm struggling more than usual to understand how there is backlash against better city planning of all things.

If it's supposed to be about tethering people to a certain spot that's easily done now. We'd all be under house arrest and wait for the They's (TM) rations truck to come around with our illuminated allotted daily supplies.
Because anything that might benefit the majority of people gets weaponised by idiots, the article even illustarted the only real opposition in Paris came from rich NIMBYs, who couldn't possibly have the 'poors' living near themselves.

Can you give an example?
Virtually every town and city? There’s not many towns more than a 15 minute walk in radius, and every city - even London- is divided into town-like districts where there’s shops, GP and dental practices, parks and playgrounds, etc. Everything a growing boy needs.

Virtually every town and city? There’s not many towns more than a 15 minute walk in radius, and every city - even London- is divided into town-like districts where there’s shops, GP and dental practices, parks and playgrounds, etc. Everything a growing boy needs.
You live in a 1940s postcard if you believe this.

I live in one of the most 'Average' towns in the UK (statistically it's why it gets used for a lot of studies in that regard), to walk from one side to the other is a two hour plus walk.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 094210.png

That's quite a bit more than 15 minutes, from my house if I wanted to walk to the main areas of music, art, etc, it's at lease an hours walk, and given the geography of the area, it's far from a flat hours walk. Nor is it anything close to being a fully pedestrianised walk, quite the opposite, it involves walking alongside traffic for the vast majority of the time.

The main areas of music, art, etc are everybody’s daily necessities, are they?
And once again you prove you didn't read the article and have no actual idea what a 15-minute city is.

Now aside from your clear inability to read sources, yes they are near daily for me, I photography music, art opening, etc regularly, but that attempt to narrow the goal posts aside, why shouldn't people have access to these things within a 15-minute walk?

Last edited:
So you’re annoyed that your “cultural areas” are a day out and not on your doorstep. That’s fine, that’s normal, not everybody is interested in that sort of crap anyway.

Where we live now, everybody’s daily necessities are a short walk away. The 15 minute city idea is not the novel concept the grauniad seems to think they are, at least in the UK, where our towns and cities were planned and built before everyone had cars.

You people just seem to want to dig up any old nonsense to get angry at.

So you’re annoyed that your “cultural areas” are a day out and not on your doorstep. That’s fine, that’s normal, not everybody is interested in that sort of crap anyway.
Doubling down on your ignorance of what a 15-minute city actually is, isn't the 'own' you think it is. It's also rather ironic given you claimed that all UK towns and cities were already ones, yet failed to actually cite one when asked.
Where we live now, everybody’s daily necessities are a short walk away.
Not true, and a 15-minute city isn't just daily necessities.
The 15 minute city idea is not the novel concept the grauniad seems to think they are,
No-one claimed they were a new idea, but rather a concept top return to, once agaion showing a rather limited (to say the least) undeerstanding of the very concept.
at least in the UK, where our towns and cities were planned and built before everyone had cars.
Are you claiming that no changes to town planning, development, road structure, civic infrastructure has occurred since the invention of the car? Literally the only way your claim would be true is if every, town and city in the UK had been frozen in terms of development since circa 1900, and absolutely no new towns had been built at all. None of which is remotely true at all.
You people just seem to want to dig up any old nonsense to get angry at.
I'm not the one getting angry at all, nor am I the one making things up, but you do you.

Last edited:
Virtually every town and city?
Can you give an example?
Just one.

I've lived in several - in the north-east, north, east, and south-east - and can't think of any where a 15-minute walk (that's one mile, and not in a straight line because that isn't how cities are built, which is rather the point) would get me to most of my daily necessities from where I lived.

Even in my current village it takes four minutes to walk to the doctor's surgery, about five to the centre where the shops are, and the bus stop - and I'm only a third of the way out from the centre. It takes 15 minutes of walking just to get to the train station for one of the two trains an hour, and it's another 12 minutes on that to the next town over with more amenities... You could just about cycle it in 20.

Just one.

I've lived in several - in the north-east, north, east, and south-east - and can't think of any where a 15-minute walk (that's one mile, and not in a straight line because that isn't how cities are built, which is rather the point) would get me to most of my daily necessities from where I lived.

Even in my current village it takes four minutes to walk to the doctor's surgery, about five to the centre where the shops are, and the bus stop - and I'm only a third of the way out from the centre. It takes 15 minutes of walking just to get to the train station for one of the two trains an hour, and it's another 12 minutes on that to the next town over with more amenities... You could just about cycle it in 20.
And I'm going to hazard a guess that the majority of those walks/cycles are routes that prioritise cars over walking/cycling, a concept @Clinton Ducks seems to be unaware is a key factor in what's being discussed.

Last edited:
Now go and read the full paper (or even the article that was linked - as you're still missing massive parts of this) rather than something you blatantly googled 30 seconds ago and didn't bother going past the search results screen.

Displaying your Dunning-Kruger to this extent is, while entertaining, not constructive. Particularly as even that very, very limited summary from wiki contradicts one of your own claims!

Last edited:
And I'm going to hazard a guess that the majority of those walks/cycles are routes that prioritise cars over walking/cycling, a concept @Clinton Ducks seems to be unaware is a key factor in what's being discussed.
Yup. There's a variety of ginnels, and the pedestrian crossings mean you don't need to stop if you're walking it (and trust cars to stop as they are required), so it's actually pretty pedestrian-friendly, but much of it is on the pavement alongside roads.

And way better than Norwich, when I lived there.

Back