Bug: Penalty for passing under yellow ....... but

Aznhustl3
I got it for passing the guy who crashed and caused the yellow, just rejoined the course automatically as a ghost

Hi

Just wondering if anyone who also suffered from this

I just finished a daily race at Suzuka (GR4, 3 laps), during one of the corners, a guy in front of me went off the track and crashed into the barrier, which caused a yellow - no passing flashing on my screen. I didnt slow down since I wasn't racing with anyone at that time as the guy who crashed was like 2-3 seconds ahead. When he automatically rejoined the race (like when the game placed your car back on the track). I passed him and I got a 5 seconds penalty ?? WHAT ?

I guessed this was for passing under the yellow, but it makes absolutely no sense.

did I miss anything here ?

and also, is there I can post this so people @ PD can see it ?

I got it for passing the guy who crashed and caused the yellow, just rejoined the course automatically as a ghost

Hi

Just wondering if anyone who also suffered from this

I just finished a daily race at Suzuka (GR4, 3 laps), during one of the corners, a guy in front of me went off the track and crashed into the barrier, which caused a yellow - no passing flashing on my screen. I didnt slow down since I wasn't racing with anyone at that time as the guy who crashed was like 2-3 seconds ahead. When he automatically rejoined the race (like when the game placed your car back on the track). I passed him and I got a 5 seconds penalty ?? WHAT ?

I guessed this was for passing under the yellow, but it makes absolutely no sense.

did I miss anything here ?

and also, is there I can post this so people @ PD can see it ?
I had one the other day, so I place it in this thread Using the yellow flag to your advantage

Yep, happens to me all the time. I don't remember it before the patch though. It need sorting though.

Also, when the car re-joins, it looks solid a second of two before it actually registers hits. This has caused me a few lost places when I've come across a slow moving recovered car looking solid, swerved around it only to watch the guy I'm racing against go straight through him and pass me.

I got a 10 or 12 second penalty when 2 cars crashed into each other and I passed them both while they were off course and ghosted.

Don't make a mistake and fall back or qualify outside the top 5 in today's Gr4 race at Brands Hatch. Cars were going off all over the place, both by themselves and by being rammed, they than get auto reset, you can't avoid passing them even if you tried and then at least a five second penalty for you for passing them under the yellow, race after race after race. :(

Happens all the time unfortunately.
For example here I got 10 sec, double penalty for these 2 clowns
wnA7dBB.gif

The one just sitting there after respawning even quit the race

Posted in the bug thread earlier. I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to get the penalty the right way. Yet have had it unintentionally at least 20 times now.

well. if you lift and coast past it, its usually fine, no penalty. Just dont floor it? or?
Well I did lift of the throttle and coast past the yellow, but the other car was still well of the track, I got a penalty because I went past him and he was still nowhere near the track :crazy:.

They should get rid of the overtaking penalties. Ghosting is there so accidents are avoided, and for the most part, it works. It is good enough that the yellow flags inform players there's been a crash.

yas
This.

In other news had a race where cars in the pit caused yellow flags, thus everyone got a penalty. So much fun.
Yes, I've had that happen to me too - Nurburgring GP 10 lapper from memory....

I've also suffered unfairly from the yellow flag penalty numerous times as mentioned above.
Worst was on Brands Hatch when under yellow flag condition, car in front of me spun out on a bend into a gravel trap and i of course received 10 sec penalty* :mad:

*R A C E R U I N E D

They should get rid of the overtaking penalties. Ghosting is there so accidents are avoided, and for the most part, it works. It is good enough that the yellow flags inform players there's been a crash.
But ghosting is off for DR A/S, isn't it?

But ghosting is off for DR A/S, isn't it?

No, it's still on if someone spins or drives the wrong way or stuff like that.

Personally I'd remove the auto track reset, then a lot of unfair penalties may not happen and they can get to work on trying to perfect the penalty system and remove any remaining issues.

Last edited:

Personally I'd remove the auto track reset, then a lot of unfair penalties may not happen and they can get to work on trying to perfect the penalty system and remove any remain issues.
That wouldn't be enough, the first time I got the penalty was because I passed a ghosted car which had hit the barrier outside the Dragon Trail's final S.

That wouldn't be enough, the first time I got the penalty was because I passed a ghosted car which had hit the barrier outside the Dragon Trail's final S.

It would be a start. Tracks with barriers present another issue which would then have to be looked at with regards to cars not leaving the track when they crash and bring out the yellow, as right now the game seems to like the crashed cars being off track to classify them as crashed. Although you don't always get a penalty for passing them under yellow either, on track or not.

Personally I'd remove the auto track reset, then a lot of unfair penalties may not happen and they can get to work on trying to perfect the penalty system and remove any remain issues.
There's no reason why PD can't change the algorithm so that you can't even respawn on track if cars are within a certain number of seconds of your position. For the sake of argument 3 seconds seems like a reasonable amount of time . Yes it means that sometimes you will be sitting by the edge of the track for some time until an opening appears but that's also true of rejoining a real life race if you've spun into a run off area for example. You don't just drive right back out on the track without looking, not if you want to keep your car in one piece. Make the cars ghost until they are up to a reasonable speed and completely eliminate the penalty involved in passing them. Same goes with yellow flags. There's no reason a reasonable delay can't be built into the throwing of the flag so anyone that is reasonably close to the incident isn't caught up in a pointless penalty.

Not exactly on topic but it's been mentioned above :
Getting respawned is an immersion killer to me and a bit of a joke - makes me feel like a noob who doesn't find his way back. If GTS wants to be something like a sim, we all should drive back to track in our cars :).
I did find the respawn function valuable on Nurburgring GP during an FIA race a few weeks back. Last lap I was punted heavily by a Megane and sent into the middle of the last chicane. I was respawned into the middle of the track on the chicane exit..... Lost a few spots but it would have been worse if I had needed to drive back onto the track.

I get what you say about the immersion side of things but that respawn did stop me from going into rage overload :-).

I did find the respawn function valuable on Nurburgring GP during an FIA race a few weeks back. Last lap I was punted heavily by a Megane and sent into the middle of the last chicane. I was respawned into the middle of the track on the chicane exit..... Lost a few spots but it would have been worse if I had needed to drive back onto the track.

I get what you say about the immersion side of things but that respawn did stop me from going into rage overload :-).

I see, autoreset helped you to stay alive in that race - next time though, it will place a car right in front of you good for a 10 sec time penalty. I just think there's no place for this feature in GTS ;).

Yellow flags in and of themselves are fine. I'm all for realism but only if it's done right. The realism of the yellow flags is completely destroyed by the hand of god resets.

As others have said, I'm perfectly happy finding my own way back on track, thank you very much.

Not exactly on topic but it's been mentioned above :
Getting respawned is an immersion killer to me and a bit of a joke - makes me feel like a noob who doesn't find his way back. If GTS wants to be something like a sim, we all should drive back to track in our cars :).

On top of the immersion issue it often doesn't even "help" me get back to the track faster. I usually shift to higher gears when I end up in low-grip runoff areas to keep wheelspin to a minimum, so most times I get reset I'm using half throttle or more. So what often happens is I get God'd while I'm (usually) trying to catch catching some sort of slide, my finger is already at half-ish throttle and my wheel turned, and then suddenly I'm placed in the middle of the track in first gear. More than a few times it's caused me to spin and get reset a second time, especially in Gr. 3, and every time it's made my "re-entry" less safe than what I would've done had the game let me get back on my own.

I've been fortunate enough to not have recieved penalties from this, but it's BS that other people are and some people may be recieving them from me for things I can't even control.

There's no reason why PD can't change the algorithm so that you can't even respawn on track if cars are within a certain number of seconds of your position.

Just turn off the respawn altogether. It's in the server settings. It's terribly disruptive when a person just appears, you always have to play the guessing game of "will I collide", and it's ridiculously unrealistic anyway. If I see someone off track trying to come back on track, at least I can try to deal with that. Magical cars appearing is a terrible decision.

If a player can't figure out how to get back onto the racetrack, then he shouldn't be in the race anyway. Leave that stuff for the single player guys.

Back