Bumper cam accuracy

Hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts are and if T10 ever plan to address this:

Just like the chase cam, we ought to have two cam options for bumper. If you look at it closely (which I doubt not that many gamers do, pure simmers perhaps), the bumper cam since FM3 has been deliberately placed higher to make for easier overtaking and driving.

A proper bumper cam practically hugs the tarmac, especially when you're driving low slung exotics like an F1 or P1, a 458 or say, a Reventon. Forza's version of the bumper cam looks like it either sits on the edge of the hood zoomed in, or on the dash, zoomed in.

We really should have the option to choose between a high and proper bumper cam view. This would not only make for some very exciting and challenging racing, but a higher sense of speed. Take any other sim or racing game's bumper view - it actually sits on the front bumper, hovering really low over the tarmac, not any other way.

Anyway, irks me just a bit, nothing major. I know most of you have wheels and prefer the cockpit or hood cam. What say.. should this be addressed or not? Bumper cam should not be sitting this high off the road...

Last edited:
Right on. Unfortunately, the bumper cam appears to be higher than the cockpit or hood cam. Try this out with a 458 or F1, while parked next to the trackside wall/barrier. And the zoom in/out level (according to speed) is unnecessary, but I suppose they worked that in to improve the sense of speed.

Dirt 3's and GRID II's bumper cam for example, is 100% spot on. Really immerses you into the bumps, camber and elevation changes.

Remember the original NFS game? The bumper view was killer. :dopey:

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts are and if T10 ever plan to address this:

Just like the chase cam, we ought to have two cam options for bumper. If you look at it closely (which I doubt not that many gamers do, pure simmers perhaps), the bumper cam since FM3 has been deliberately placed higher to make for easier overtaking and driving.

A proper bumper cam practically hugs the tarmac, especially when you're driving low slung exotics like an F1 or P1, a 458 or say, a Reventon. Forza's version of the bumper cam looks like it either sits on the edge of the hood zoomed in, or on the dash, zoomed in.

We really should have the option to choose between a high and proper bumper cam view. This would not only make for some very exciting and challenging racing, but a higher sense of speed. Take any other sim or racing game's bumper view - it actually sits on the front bumper, hovering really low over the tarmac, not any other way.

Anyway, irks me just a bit, nothing major. I know most of you have wheels and prefer the cockpit or hood cam. What say.. should this be addressed or not? Bumper cam should not be sitting this high off the road...

When I first played FM5 I thought I noticed the bumper cam being really low. Just yesterday I noticed it seemed higher again. Is it just me?

No mate, it's not just you unfortunately. I started to notice this early on in FM4 and then went back to FM3 to double check; it's there too.

When I was overtaking a Skyline R34 in a McLaren F1, I noticed that I could just see the top of the Skyline's trunk and roof. And I said to myself that can't be right; I'm in the bumper view I should only be seeing its tires, tail lights and rear bumper/exhaust pipes.

Then I switched to the hood cam, and sure enough the perspective just looked right, my car seemed low enough to the tarmac and as I was overtaking cars higher than me, I couldn't see their roofs or trunks. The track boundary wall also looks higher, relative to the car's ride height - more proof that both the hood and cockpit perspective look just right.

Using my better judgement, I'd say Forza's bumper cam either sits somewhere between the rear view mirror and dash, with the view of the car removed, or right on the edge of the hood. It also zooms in and out depending on the speed, which can be annoying. The between rear view mirror and dash position is very popular actually, and a lot of driving schools, motorsport training schools and car reviews place it there to give a good view of the road, with the car's hood completely out of the picture.

I'm pretty sure they've done this deliberately to make driving easier, as any game you'd play with a bumper cam, you'll notice just how low really the cam is as you're overtaking other cars; you can't really see much of other cars apart from the bumper and tires. This is exactly how it looks when you see those F1 or WTCC races on TV and the perspective intermittently shifts to bumper view - it is nice and low and there's this imminent sense of speed, danger and thrill that you don't feel in Forza's bumper cam. Oh well... is all I can say.

I'm hoping they offer two different bumper cam options, as this takes away from the experience of driving really low to the tarmac which certainly adds to the sense of speed and thrill of racing, all the while making driving so much more challenging as well as rewarding.

So yes, it's been ported over in FM5 as well as FH2. I don't believe this was the case up till FM1 and 2. It's a very minor issue, if it can even be called that, and something that can easily be and should be corrected.

Just imagine how satisfying and thrilling driving would be on a narrow, twisty and hilly course with a true bumper cam just hovering inches off the road! :mischievous:

Last edited:
all the while making driving so much more challenging as well as rewarding.

...or it could just make it "difficult and painful" - the "proper" bumper cam might look exciting on TV coverage and replays but I don't like the idea of making a game more difficult to play by choosing a view angle.

The challenge and reward should be from the controlling the car (physics), learning the track (environment) and beating the competitors (AI / multi opponents ).

I just find the alternative super low camera feels like fighting against the interface of the game and not adding to the experience.

I would be happy for there to be an option, but the default "no car" view should be at a reasonable level that you might usually see the road or possibly higher to give better view of apex points and opponents.

Another way to look at it is, in real life you have a big compromise that the A-pillar and dash obstructs much of your foward view and limits your ability to place the vehicle accurately. Imagine if the game made it easier for you by hiding the car but you are in the same spot - you have use your complete view, or at least all the pixels rendered, to see where you go so you can focus 100% on the car control or refining the racing line with less obstruction?

So yeh I have a steering wheel controller - I don't want to waste screen pixels drawing a steering wheel, and for most parts the interior view annoys me as I would rather see more of the track when racing. I really like the detailed interiors for replays and autovista etc...

-
On a related point, in "no car" view Forza 2 had an absolutely brilliant HUD UI design with a large tacho in the centre. While racing and focusing on a breaking point or opponent to either side of the screen it was the same distance on screen for your eyes to track to the center of the screen.

The offset tacho really irks me as it seems to be an unbalance design (why no option for left side? or center?) and feels to me that sometimes on a large screen it is difficult to have to glance so far across to check how close to redline you are when near a critical point...

--

So in summary:

1. yes, add a second "low bumper view" option

2. Add an option to use the awesome center tacho HUD from forza motorsport 2

??

Yeap, makes sense. I would welcome two bumper cam modes with wide open arms. As you said, one simply without the dash view knocked out (even though the current bumper cam sits somewhere on the front windscreen between the rearview mirror and dashboard, it just feels too high off the road for a bumper cam), and the other with a dedicated cam hooked on to the bumper of each car with varying height off the tarmac, depending on what car you're driving.They sometimes swap between this high and low bumper cam on car shows too - particularly Top Gear.

A proper bumper cam gives you insane sense of speed, and you feel the bumps and elevation of the tracks so much better. Though lately, I've started to play the game almost exclusively from dash view - I just love how the cars sound (stock and modded), and I have to admit the cockpit detail is very impressive. Plus, I've never really had a problem with the track or surroundings looking too bright from this view, as I've tuned my TV and use a particular preset just for FM4, which makes it look more natural and easy on the eyes.

I too wish there was an option to set the tacho and speedo in the middle, it would certainly make for better driving, though by a small degree. Also, much like in S2, seeing the tacho/speedo of the actual car you're driving as opposed to just a generic and simplistic one for every car, would somewhat add to the excitement and ownership of driving that car.

What say?

Back