Bumper view is it superior?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ziadjs
  • 94 comments
  • 7,751 views
For me the bumper cam has a big flaw... I could be driving an F2007 or X1 for example with very rigid suspension, and as soon as I brake I'm looking at the road as I pass over it, not the next corner..

I prefer hood cam, clean view of where the cars wheels are (curbs, etc.). Cockpit view is also nice, PD did well capturing the role that bumps and the body's muscle resistance during turning (shaking more than when driving straight). Sounds maybe strange to some but if you've done some racing in real life you'll know what I'm talking about
 
I wonder how the breakdown is for people that drive vs. too young to drive and the cockpit view users...

Haha! Yeah that Citroen has a... uh... limited view. :dopey:

fwiw, I've been a licensed driver for 28 years and really, I only enjoy cockpit view in this game. Sure some have limited view but I like it. I also turn off HUD and map as I posted somewhere in this thread I think. I actually, go way out of my way to only drive premium cars if possible.

Well, that's interesting. I have only actually driven a few times; I can count the times I've driven on two hands. I prefer the cockpit view because it just seems like a more challenging and a more enjoyable experience.

Although, what I really like about bumper view, which I rarely use, is that you can see so much of the environment. With a game like GT5, it's pleasing to see the track in the perspective of a video camera mounted on the furthermost tip of the hood.

I know the cockpit view does not look authentic enough to everybody. But, it's just the thought of it that it's there to use, and me no know, to assist in simulating the experience of driving a vehicle on a t.v.

And here's a theory I have because I'm a stupid genius. The Citroen GT by Polyphony Digital (windshield view must have been intentional), although, I haven't driven it at all with a wheel yet and only tried it once before I got used to the new tracks. But my theory is, - just like being able to read and concentrate better if you're not seeing all of the words surrounding the line you're currently reading - the less blue sky and other unnecessary visuals there are, the easier it'll be to focus on each and every single, teenie, tiny insignificant particle, man.
 
Last edited:
but isn't the lack of visibility part of the difficulties race car drivers face in real life?

Why would you think that? If I'm driving a car, I have almost 180 degrees field of vision around me, with almost no obstructions. Cockpit view in GT5 leaves you with a little porthole view showing you only a fraction of the road and no peripheral vision.

Honestly, I think because of the lack of full peripheral vision, learning how to feel everything out should improve your judgement of where your car should be and at what precise time it needs to be turning/braking/ramming jk when it comes to close calls/reacting quick enough. In some ways, wish for the best of your abilities to pull through and throw that Fiat around.
 
I almost always used the bumper cam since GT2. I was always faster with it. I recently switched to the chase cam and actually like that better now.
 
I almost always used the bumper cam since GT2. I was always faster with it. I recently switched to the chase cam and actually like that better now.

I always used to use bumper cam, too. And ever since NFS:U. Just not no mo'.
 
Back