Bumper view is it superior?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ziadjs
  • 94 comments
  • 7,751 views
True, but after driving many dozens of different cars in real life, I can tell you that generally the unobstructed view of bumpercam is much more what I perceive when driving a car than the porthole view of cockpit cam.

Have you ever consciously looked at your steeringwheel (or your hands) when driving a car? I haven't - yet in cockpitview the thing is constantly there, drawing my attention to it. :dopey:

Neither while driving my car in reallife, nor while driving in GT5 have I consciously looked at my wheel. Mostly I look through the windshield, respectively on the screen while driving :) You ain´t looking around for bubbles while swimming in the water, either. If you want to swim, you just do it.

Sure both of us have other kind of "views" literally, difference is that I don´t try to sell you mine as the best you can get...
 
The bumpercam is too close to the track to really see what is coming up.

The cockpit cam is too cluttered and obstructed, although it is very cool.

So I prefer either the hood (roof?) cam or the chase view.

Just my preference.
 
I always used to play from the 'just behind the car' view, until the hills and dips of the 'Ring made that too tricky in GT4. So I switched and now the 'behind' view doesn't really 'communicate' in the same way, although it seems a little better for drifting (not that I'm any good)

Still play most other racing games from outside the car tho.
 
The bumper view is far superior than the others.

I do believe many premium car interior views would be the best if there wasn't so much damn camera shake. That just ruins it for me..
 
Personally for me its all about cockpit cam,

I can see why bumber cam maybe faster however I find I have less control if the car starts to slide.

Faster feeling, sure, but I agree with you 100 percent on cockpit cam. I would argue that cockpit cam is one of the most challenging views to drive because, even if it is the same eye-level as the bumper cam, it is an entirely different feel. First few runs, I usually get significantly slower times in cockpit as your view is blocked from the details of berms and cones in license tests etc. It's even a little farther removed or zoomed out, I believe, meaning your reaction time might be slightly slower.

But golding in this view has been a point of pride for me. I always try to gold tests and trials in cockpit view. The learning curve is very rewarding.
 
Faster feeling, sure, but I agree with you 100 percent on cockpit cam. I would argue that cockpit cam is one of the most challenging views to drive because, even if it is the same eye-level as the bumper cam, it is an entirely different feel. First few runs, I usually get significantly slower times in cockpit as your view is blocked from the details of berms and cones in license tests etc. It's even a little farther removed or zoomed out, I believe, meaning your reaction time might be slightly slower.

But golding in this view has been a point of pride for me. I always try to gold tests and trials in cockpit view. The learning curve is very rewarding.

Yes. This guy get's it. For me bumper cam is too easy. I find it takes far more concentration and skill to achieve fast times and big drifts from the in-car view.
 
first I didn't like the bumper cam myself , but now I can't imagine myself driving with an other camera.
the sense of speed is better on the bumper cam.
the game get's alot more fun.:)
 
Personally I use the hood cam so I can see more further down the track and be more precise. Cockpit view for premiums.
 
Bumper View, is it superior?

So what if it is? So what if it's not? What are you trying to achieve from knowing this?
 
So what if it is? So what if it's not? What are you trying to achieve from knowing this?

Maybe he wants to know how many people are racing with bumpercam and which not, maybe thats the clue of this whole thread...?
 
I use a dfgt setup about 4-5' from my 46" TV. When I use the cockpit setting my view of the track is reduced to a sliver of the screen. Also, as stated by others, my attention is drawn to the steering wheel and interior of the car too much for my liking.

I understand the bumper view is unrealistic because you have too much view of the track and no obstacles in your field of vision. However I will except that level of "un-realism" because, with my setup, it gives me the most comfortable and engrossing view.

If I had a 70' screen and setup my wheel closer to the tv I might find the size of the windshield (in cockpit setting) to be acceptable. For now I will stick with bumper view though.
 
I used hood view almost exclusively in GT4 (because it had all the advantages of bumper cam plus you could see the front corners of your car), but PD screwed up the HUD for it so I basically have to use bumper cam now.

So what if it is? So what if it's not? What are you trying to achieve from knowing this?
Calm down. Sheesh.
 
I've always used bumper cam. It just feels easier and makes races more interesting because it feels like you're going fast.
 
Bumper cam certainly has the best all around HUD (cockpit view excluded for obvious reasons).

To me "bonnet view" allows me to see further ahead, bumper view feels to low and the camera angle doesnt let me see as far ahead.

Cockpit view varies greatly by car but seems usable only if your display and viewing distance permits.
 
Yes. This guy get's it. For me bumper cam is too easy. I find it takes far more concentration and skill to achieve fast times and big drifts from the in-car view.

Trying the license test where you slalom the mini-cooper around a set of cones made me want to slash the tires of every MINI I saw on the street, but I finally did gold it and in cockpit view. It's a must for me.
 
i always revert to the bumper view
 
I can only use bumper view. I just am much faster with it and it gives me the best feel for my surroundings. I only used cockpit view in Prologue but I think it was more because of the newness. I like to watch my replays from cockpit though.
 
Well, for me atleast, when i first got into the gt series (GT4) i always used bumper cam
UNTILL figuring out you can change it. I do prefer cockpit more, but on a real fast lap, ill switch to bumper.
 
Bumper view for GT3 and GT4. For GT5, i use Bumper view for standards and some premium cars that have horrible cockpit views that makes me feel like i'm driving a tank, Hood view for standards when i'm driving with the DFGT wheel and for the X2010/FGT, and cockpit view on premiums that have cockpit views that you can see properly.
 
I've always used chase actually. I just like to know where the car is on the road and where the other cars are around me. For instance, when I am in a heated race online or qualifying, I will use chase. When I'm just playing for fun, I'll use the cockpit view.

Cockpit and bumper cams offer the most intense views though. That could be why I use chase just because it "feels" slower and I am less likely to make a mistake.
 
So what if it is? So what if it's not? What are you trying to achieve from knowing this?

And what are you trying to achieve by questioning his motives?
Got anything, you know, constructive to add to the thread?

I do think the bumper cam is the best as it gives good feedback on the car and is the least obstructive. I would likely use the cockpit view if all cars had it. But I don't because switching views all the time would mess with my familiarity and ability to accurately compare cars.

The Chase cam is way too stiff for me. Nothing wrong with it, they should just add another one with more sway.

Personally I like the roof cam the best. Why oh why does it not have a rear view mirror though!?
 
Footnote: I don't give a fig about realism. I just wanna go faster, pussycat. Bumper view allows me to do that, or at least feel like I'm doing that. ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree with the bumper cam part but if you don't care about realism and you just want to feel like your going fast you should probably play need for speed shift rather than gt5.
 
Cockpit view with HUD and map off. Nothing else will do.
 
I agree with the bumper cam part but if you don't care about realism and you just want to feel like your going fast you should probably play need for speed shift rather than gt5.

Oh puh-lease, no need to insult me so!
 
Cockpit view with HUD and map off. Nothing else will do.

No HUD gets a little challenging with an older wheel only paddle shifting like mine, at least in cars with no gear indicator, but still pretty fun estimating how many gears to drop in corners and base everything off RPMs and sound of engine.
 
I use bumper cam. I admit it sometimes gets a bit hairy online when you can't use your peripheral vision,but I use the right stick to look left and right.
 
Bonker
Cockpit view with HUD and map off. Nothing else will do.

That's my aim, doing it with AT is fine but I really need a wheel before I can try it with MT, crazy hard I reckon! :)
 
What I remind is, that in GT5 bonnet views are also different for different cars. While in some cases you see a narrower "nose" of your car, in other cases for example the premium S15 has such a wide "nose", filling almost the whole width of my screen. Anyone else recognized this?
 
Cockpit view with HUD and map off. Nothing else will do.

No HUD gets a little challenging with an older wheel only paddle shifting like mine, at least in cars with no gear indicator, but still pretty fun estimating how many gears to drop in corners and base everything off RPMs and sound of engine.

That's my aim, doing it with AT is fine but I really need a wheel before I can try it with MT, crazy hard I reckon! :)

I'm using a 57 in. 1080i (sadly) tv with built in speakers that can easily rumble and then, two speakers from my Sony stereo, one on each side. I sit about 4 feet away from the tv and I'm using the DFGT which is fine. Using manual is way easier since there's no clutch pedal, so that really sucks, but hearing everything out and not relying on the gear change indicator is what i thought made racing more realistic. It makes it all so much more satisfying at the end of a race. I couldn't take it off in GT4 so i was excited to take it off once the update came this time around.

It's all about getting used to knowing how late you should stop before a corner just by feeling it. How better to do that than trial-and-error or just countless laps around the tracks. I'm always changing up and making my "style" a bit better every time I make horrible turns because you learn the best way not to do it. Example being rally racing. My best time was .8 seconds away from Gold after a few days of practice. My best time before that was always at least 1.5 seconds away from Silver. It's FUN as hell!
 
Last edited:
The one with no stuff at all? Yes. It is based on preference. I like it a lot when driving tracks I don't know much or when it's impossible to see the road. I use it a lot on Standards. :P
 
Back