Buttkicker on PS5

• Thread starter ramenking
  • 73 comments
Australia
Australia
Does anyone know how to get the buttkicker working on the ps5 since there is no optical cable on the PS5?

There are no hdmi audio extractors supporting hdmi 2.1 @ 120hz in the market right now.

Only option I can see is to have the buttkicker run through optical via TV or try split it on the controller to use headphones.

Does anyone know how to get the buttkicker working on the ps5 since there is no optical cable on the PS5?

There are no hdmi audio extractors supporting hdmi 2.1 @ 120hz in the market right now.

Only option I can see is to have the buttkicker run through optical via TV or try split it on the controller to use headphones.
Yeah it's not an ideal situation. I currently have mine running from the TV's 3.5mm headphone jack but many newer TV's don't have one.

Yeah it's not an ideal situation. I currently have mine running from the TV's 3.5mm headphone jack but many newer TV's don't have one.

My TV doesn't have a headphone jack, only thing I can hope for is for then to make a 4k 120hz 2.1 hdmi audio extractor.

I haven't tried it yet but does the buttkicker just purely hooking it up onto the tv with audio feeding out from the tv?

My TV doesn't have a headphone jack
I thought that may be the case, that's why I put in the disclaimer below :)
but many newer TV's don't have one.

I haven't tried it yet but does the buttkicker just purely hooking it up onto the tv with audio feeding out from the tv?
I'm not sure. I haven't had to as I'm using computer speakers running from the headphone jack via a splitter with the buttkicker at the moment. My new lounge room TV gets installed next Tuesday so I get the hand me down one that's far better than what I'm currently using for my rig... haven't checked that one out yet but I could be in the same boat as you :scared:... but that's Wednesday's problem :sly:

Hooking up the Buttkicker has taken days off my life! I’ve bought no less than five digital to analog converters! But here is what I recommend. If your newer TV did away with the audio Jack, then use the TVs optical connector. You’re pushing sound via HDMI to the TV, so I think it knows to push sound out the optical (rather than look for incoming sound). Yes, you need a digital to analog converter now. (I’ve done the converter that extracts from HDMI but that’s expensive, overkill and a bit messy in that you could occasionally interrupt the video signal, um yes, my experience!) Just get an optical DAC from Amazon. Good luck.
07350817-0F3C-4F0D-99DC-943C174E2800.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

So basically I should just get a converter just use the buttkicker direct into the TV rather than a passthrough via HDMI from the PS5?

If that's the case then wouldn't no audio come out unless I run a optical splitter into my soundbar for optical output?

Also, did you have a solution or work around with using a headset?

So basically I should just get a converter just use the buttkicker direct into the TV rather than a passthrough via HDMI from the PS5?

If that's the case then wouldn't no audio come out unless I run a optical splitter into my soundbar for optical output?

I always had plans for a Buttkicker but never went through with it, so I'm no help there.
But I've spent a reasonable amount of time looking at headsets for the PS5. Mainly trying to sort out the issue of independent control for the volume of game audio and voice chat.

It depends on what 'solution' you're looking for.

I have Turtle Beach Elite 800's, that use optical audio.
My solution was to run optical audio out from the TV to the 'In' on the headset transmitter, then set the console audio out to 'Chat only'.

This sounds great through the headset and gives me independent control over both game audio and voice chat volumes via the headset controls.
The downside is that the 'Chat only' setting removes the 3D sound option, but I can live with that.

Last edited:

Yes. I wouldn’t recommend a HDMI pass through but only because I had issues with the video blacking-out occasionally.

I believe the optical is better since it doesn’t require more HdMI connections, but feel free to give it a go, especially if you need the optical for the sound bar.

Headsets are a whole other beast. What works, depends on the particular headset in question. I recently spent approx 12 hours over 4 evenings trying to get my setup to work again after I’d been using it successfully for more than a year. Don’t know what changed but I had to come up with a new solution >>> in which i used the tvs Bluetooth for game sound, USB for chat and TV optical for the Buttkicker.

Ah right.. I have a few adapters coming in tomorrow to give it a go tomorrow. I also prefer to keep HDMI extractors out of the equation so that's definitely off the table.

Only thing is that the PS5 can only output 1 source of audio so I am not sure if that'd work in my case. Wishing myself some luck tomorrow when I give it a go.

I’m curious about this as well.

From what I can tell the 3.5mm jack audio on the DS5 is terrible just like the DS4. Compressed low quality trash.

the lack of toslink is annoying. So now we have HDMI out. Sure you can grab the audio from the tv audio out ports. But what if you have a Buttkicker and headphones plus party chat.

With PS4 we can send just game audio over HDMI, then party chat/game over toslink to a DAC.

Anyone try a USB to 3.5mm? Could maybe run that and separate audio that way.

I'm on a PS3. Didn't waste money on branded buttkicker - just bought some cheap bass transducers from amazon - £20 each. Bought 2 and bolted them to my seat. Using an optical toslink and an old ICE amp (another £20) running from a car battery proper vibrates my 14 stone ass out the seat in a Dodge charger!

I don't let women on my rig.

@twoskodas How do you do that on PS5? Are you running HDMI to the TV then everything from the TV?

I'm only able to run either my PS5 headset (via dongle) or HDMI out. You can't run both at the same time.

Last edited:
@twoskodas How do you do that on PS5? Are you running HDMI to the TV then everything from the TV?

I'm only able to run either my PS5 headset (via dongle) or HDMI out. You can't run both at the same time.
This is on a xbox series x where they also didn't add the optical out this time,like you say hdmi to tv,tv optical out to buttkicker ,headphones on Bluetooth from console all works very well

This is on a xbox series x where they also didn't add the optical out this time,like you say hdmi to tv,tv optical out to buttkicker ,headphones on Bluetooth from console all works very well
But this thread is about PS 5 not XBox. On PS 5 that set up won't work as we can't run HDMI out and a Bluetooth dongle for a wireless headset at the same time. It's stupid but that's what the issue is for us atm. Hopefully we get an update to allow both to be able to run at the same time.

But this thread is about PS 5 not XBox. On PS 5 that set up won't work as we can't run HDMI out and a Bluetooth dongle for a wireless headset at the same time. It's stupid but that's what the issue is for us atm. Hopefully we get an update to allow both to be able to run at the same time.

Sorry ,i didn’t realise that,no dongle required for my headphones

I wonder if we do hdmi to tv then split audio from tv for headphones and Buttkicker. I think that would work if driving without chat. My concern is that party audio will trigger the Buttkicker.

I wonder if we do hdmi to tv then split audio from tv for headphones and Buttkicker. I think that would work if driving without chat. My concern is that party audio will trigger the Buttkicker.
I was wondering that myself. I don't think it would work for my particular set-up though as I have the Pulse 3D headset but it would work for wired headsets. I've had my signal split from the TV to run my Buttkicker and PC speakers for years so I could run it all off my PS3 and PS4 without having to switch anything, but I run from the headphone jack. I think you'd have to run two splitters (HDMI to 3.5 them a 3.5 splitter). As you mention though the party chat would be an issue.

I was wondering that myself. I don't think it would work for my particular set-up though as I have the Pulse 3D headset but it would work for wired headsets. I've had my signal split from the TV to run my Buttkicker and PC speakers for years so I could run it all off my PS3 and PS4 without having to switch anything, but I run from the headphone jack. I think you'd have to run two splitters (HDMI to 3.5 them a 3.5 splitter). As you mention though the party chat would be an issue.

When you split the signal in the past did the party chat trigger it?

When you split the signal in the past did the party chat trigger it?
No, not at all.

The trouble with my previous method for many people is that they don't have an headphone jack on their TV so they'd have to run HDMI to 3.5 mm and then split that with the same splitter I use. I haven't been able to find a HDMI to dual 3.5mm jack splitter.

56474_G_1597805120667.jpg

I probably could still do it this way but I'd lose the 3D audio and I'd being going from a wireless to wired headphone setup... so not really ideal.

You can run chat on headphones separate on the PS5 and still use the HDMI out but that doesn't help for the Buttkicker. Sony just needs to patch the PS5 so we can use dual sound output instead of being forced to use one or the other.

No, not at all.

The trouble with my previous method for many people is that they don't have an headphone jack on their TV so they'd have to run HDMI to 3.5 mm and then split that with the same splitter I use. I haven't been able to find a HDMI to dual 3.5mm jack splitter.

View attachment 998777

I probably could still do it this way but I'd lose the 3D audio and I'd being going from a wireless to wired headphone setup... so not really ideal.

You can run chat on headphones separate on the PS5 and still use the HDMI out but that doesn't help for the Buttkicker. Sony just needs to patch the PS5 so we can use dual sound output instead of being forced to use one or the other.

Depending on the TV you could run HDMI to the tv then use the rca audio output or toslink. The RCA can go to a rca-3.5 converter into a splitter. For toslink you’d need a DAC which are $20-30.

The party chat on headphones I assume is just for wireless headphones. If running wired you would have the party chat shared with the Buttkicker. But you ran it with party chat on the same mix with the Buttkicker and no issues so that at least means those with wired headphones can just split the signal without issue.

Last edited:
Depending on the TV you could run HDMI to the tv then use the rca audio output or toslink. The RCA can go to a rca-3.5 converter into a splitter. For toslink you’d need a converter which are $20-30.

The party chat on headphones I assume is just for wireless headphones. If running wired you would have the party chat shared with the Buttkicker. But you ran it with party chat on the same mix with the Buttkicker and no issues so that at least means those with wired headphones can just split the signal without issue.
When I ran my split setup it was on PS4 which was much easier to deal with. I didn't even really need it if I was only running the PS4 because you could have dual sound outputs straight from the unit itself, but because I was running the PS3 as well it was easiest to just run everything from the TV. As you mention, it's all dependant on the outputs of the TV for most people, and doing it this way is easy.

Once the wireless headset comes into the mix it's a one or the other situation, except that party chat can run along side HDMI but that isn't of any use when trying to run a Buttkicker or when trying to be quiet so I don't piss off my wife too much.

Running a wired setup I'm not sure about. My headphones can also be run wired but only from the controller, and as you mentioned earlier the quality may not be as good, but unfortunately I won't have time today to give it a whirl. I'll hopefully be able to try tomorrow and I'll report back what I find.

When I ran my split setup it was on PS4 which was much easier to deal with. I didn't even really need it if I was only running the PS4 because you could have dual sound outputs straight from the unit itself, but because I was running the PS3 as well it was easiest to just run everything from the TV. As you mention, it's all dependant on the outputs of the TV for most people, and doing it this way is easy.

Once the wireless headset comes into the mix it's a one or the other situation, except that party chat can run along side HDMI but that isn't of any use when trying to run a Buttkicker or when trying to be quiet so I don't piss off my wife too much.

Running a wired setup I'm not sure about. My headphones can also be run wired but only from the controller, and as you mentioned earlier the quality may not be as good, but unfortunately I won't have time today to give it a whirl. I'll hopefully be able to try tomorrow and I'll report back what I find.

You could try wired from the splitter to your headphones. That way you keep the quality. Sucks since you want to be wireless, but only option till they fix the issue.

You could try wired from the splitter to your headphones. That way you keep the quality. Sucks since you want to be wireless, but only option till they fix the issue.
I just remembered that when I was running the old system I ran the chat audio from the DS4 so that would be why it didn't interfere with the Buttkicker. Oh well, hoping for a patch soon.

I just remembered that when I was running the old system I ran the chat audio from the DS4 so that would be why it didn't interfere with the Buttkicker. Oh well, hoping for a patch soon.

Ahhhh yeah that’s prolly the case. Might be a issue then.

Just did some digging and found PC users complaining about party chat triggering the Buttkicker. So splitting the audio won’t work. Would need to run a USB to 3.5mm converter. Question is if the PS5 can treat it as two audio sources.

Last edited:
My PS5 runs sound through a home theatre system, could I use the free audio left/right connections on this with the buttkicker? Was thinking of buying but not so sure now.

Did you guys figure the buttkicker and ps5 situation out? I just bought the GT DD Pro, a GTtrack seat, and wanted to get the buttkicker too but it seems there's a bit of an issue not having an optical out. I don't use a headset, but do have a soundbar..

Can't I go: PS5 hdmi out->soundbar hdmi in->Soundbar hdmi out -> hdmi audio extractor ->hdmi TV input
\->Red/white to buttkicker

This is on Amazon for cheap:

Would that make sense or am I missing something? Actually now that I'm looking at it, it has an optical out... so instead of the red/white, I can just optical out to buttkicker?

Edit: Doesn't show my link so have to remove the space from below
https://www.amazon. com/gp/product/B00XJITK7E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XWN37VYVH7GK&psc=1

Last edited:
If you haven’t bought the buttkicker yet, reconsider, as the experience in GTS is not very good (may be the understatement of the week). In any case, you can’t use optical out to the buttkicker as it is a digital signal. You’ll need a digital to analog converter.
As far as I know, no one has figured out the perfect solution. Can’t use the buttkicker with chat - once your buddies figure out their coughs and laughs come through your a$$, you’ll literally (and physically) be the butt of every joke.

Last edited:
If you haven’t bought the buttkicker yet, reconsider, as the experience in GTS is not very good (may be the understatement of the week). In any case, you can’t use optical out to the buttkicker as it is a digital signal. You’ll need a digital to analog converter.
As far as I know, no one has figured out the perfect solution. Can’t use the buttkicker with chat - once your buddies figure out their coughs and laughs come through your a$$, you’ll literally (and physically) be the butt of every joke.
I ended up finding an extractor that does 4K earc hdmi and has a headphone output so I bought that and the buttkicker.. I can always return it though.
What’s the reason it doesn’t work well? Would that be the case even with a headphone out? Can’t you filter out the higher frequency stuff? I’m hoping gt7 will be different and work well

Back