Buy a Nissan Pathfinder Armada now!

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 69 comments
  • 2,958 views
Am I the only one that the new Pathfinder from The359s post (post 23) doent look so bad? Exept for the weird angle of the rear doors.
 
I don't mind the looks of the Pathfinder (both normal and Armada)
 
MazKid
Who cares if it's marginally faster than the 6, the 6 outsells it and has more options and better styling.

I don't know if you realise what you've just said, but yes - the 6 has more options. Because the Galant has more standard features. And I've already discussed the problems with ordering a sunroof on a 6i.

vat_man
I've got a good one for the stupidity of the Aussie market - we're the only market in the world where Volkswagen find it necessary to put name badges (Golf, Passat etc) on the cars.

I could've sworn we have badges. I know we do on the Touareg and I know we don't on the New Beetle. And I also know they badge the engines except the base engines, though both Touareg engines are badged.

The359
How many have you sat in?

Six, and I've driven two. V6s only (I don't bother with four-cylinder midsize sedans except the Accord EX-L). I like the thing a lot. The interior styling is different but compared with the Mazda 6 at least it isn't cheap. The GTS has great spec, the LS has great value; they're good cars.

ACremona22
No it's not.

If you posted a few pictures of your cars and had a better reputation, I might believe that you have a Honda S2000. As it stands you want us to believe your dad is the vice president of IBM or something.

Firebird
It's more than that. First and foremost the XJ Cherokee was the first Jeep model to sell in Europe and Australia with even a semblance of popularity. It would be like Honda renaming the Accord. They're not going to **** with a well known name.

I know why they changed it here and not in Europe - I was kidding. :D

The359
The new Pathfinder is even uglier then the Armada:

I'm sure Dodge's lawsuit is pending - the front quarter is pretty much a photocopy of the Durango, particularly from that rear view with those wheels.

VipFREAK
WTF is up with the knee airbags?? (i think is was the knees?)

Knee airbags are the new fad - they're cheap for manufacturers to install, and the theory is that if you had a wreck and the knee airbag was the difference from shattering your kneecap and walking away, you would remain brand loyal. A lot of Americans confine themselves to one car make because one of that make's product saved their life years ago; likewise a lot of people refuse to buy from certain companies because of deadly accidents with a company's product.

Goomba
Do I get to be cool and rare because I bought a Java Black Pearl WRX? After all, 2004 was the only year for that color.

Yes! Are you telling me there's no more black? Or do they just call it something else? Because if it's just renamed then no, you aren't cool.

Ev0
And the Infiniti version of the Armada is exactly that, a rebadged Armada with a somewhat better interior and an excuse to jack up the price by a few thousand dollars. Most useless vehicle ever.

Useless to you but not to Infiniti, who makes a huge profit off the things, or the happy customer who loves their new QX56. And since you're not either, why even discuss it? Once again, the only people who don't like the QX56 are neither the buyers nor the sellers but instead just a bunch of people who like to say stuff.

And are you ****ing out of your mind? Do you have any idea how lucrative this segment is? Let's see:

Ford Expedition ----> Lincoln Navigator = HUGE PROFIT!
Chevrolet Tahoe ----> Cadillac Escalade = HUGE PROFIT!
Chevrolet Avalanche ----> Cadillac Escalade EXT = HUGE PROFIT!
Chevrolet Suburban ----> Cadillac Escalade ESV = HUGE PROFIT!
Toyota 4Runner ----> Lexus GX470 = HUGE PROFIT!
Honda Pilot ----> Acura MDX = HUGE PROFIT!
Nissan Murano ----> Infiniti FX = HUGE PROFIT!
Ford Explorer ----> Lincoln Aviator = HUGE PROFIT!

Nissan would have to be ****ing stupid not to enter this segment with the QX56 and get their own HUGE PROFIT! off the thing.
 
M5Power
Yes! Are you telling me there's no more black? Or do they just call it something else? Because if it's just renamed then no, you aren't cool.

There is still a black, but not the same color. The previous generation was a Midnight Black Pearl (I think) and had no flakes of any color, but gave off sort of a bluish hue in the right light. Java Black Pearl, which was only offered in 2004, has little flakes of gold in it. The new color, Obsidian Black Pearl has blue flakes in it. So? Do I pass the w00t-test?
 
M5Power
I don't know if you realise what you've just said, but yes - the 6 has more options. Because the Galant has more standard features. And I've already discussed the problems with ordering a sunroof on a 6i.

And yet with these apparent "problems", people still buy Mazda 6s...

I could've sworn we have badges. I know we do on the Touareg and I know we don't on the New Beetle. And I also know they badge the engines except the base engines, though both Touareg engines are badged.

The Golf and Jetta have always had badges.

Six, and I've driven two. V6s only (I don't bother with four-cylinder midsize sedans except the Accord EX-L). I like the thing a lot. The interior styling is different but compared with the Mazda 6 at least it isn't cheap. The GTS has great spec, the LS has great value; they're good cars.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. God that's hilarious. You're trying to tell me THIS:
large_3_in.jpg

looks better then this
Mazda6_interior_1B.jpg


Makes you wonder why Mitsubishi has to take theirs in the dark...

Then there's the fact that the Galant has a 230hp engine, while the Mazda 6s has a 220hp engine. 10 whole horsepower difference, yet the Mazda seems to make up for it by the fact that you can get a manual transmission and actually squeze the best performance out of it.

Now building comparable Mazda 6's and Mitsubishi Galants, I find it quite odd that you can only get leather on a Galant if you also get the 6 CD Changer sound package as well as Side Air Bags. And yet for a Mazda 6 to add a sunroof, all you need to add is the 6 CD Changer. So after building the two with approximatly the same options on them, the Mazda 6S comes to $25,960 while the Mitsubishi Galant LS comes to $25,094. If you went with a GTS it'd be up to $26,217 and all you get added for that area rear spoiler, climate control, and heated mirrors.

And a ugly car that is likely to brake down due to Mitsubishi's quality, and then you have to deal with Mitsubishi's glorious mechanics...

Ford Expedition ----> Lincoln Navigator = HUGE PROFIT!
Chevrolet Tahoe ----> Cadillac Escalade = HUGE PROFIT!
Chevrolet Avalanche ----> Cadillac Escalade EXT = HUGE PROFIT!
Chevrolet Suburban ----> Cadillac Escalade ESV = HUGE PROFIT!
Toyota 4Runner ----> Lexus GX470 = HUGE PROFIT!
Honda Pilot ----> Acura MDX = HUGE PROFIT!
Nissan Murano ----> Infiniti FX = HUGE PROFIT!
Ford Explorer ----> Lincoln Aviator = HUGE PROFIT!

Ford isn't making a huge profit off the Aviator because not many people are buying them, hence why they are killing it off and replacing it with a crossover with the same name within 2 years (more then likely Ford Freestyle based).

Same goes for Lexus, the GX470 is going nowhere fast. I'm lucky if I see 1 a month. I see more LX470s then GX470s...
 
The359
And now the Armada, Pathfinder, Xtrerra, and QX56 have them. I think even the new Frontier crew cab might have them.

The new Armada and QX56 are pretty nice, I don't mind the Xterra, but that Pathfinder is just gross.👎
I hope they don't screw up the next gen Frontier. It's one of my favourite trucks. 👍
 
Goomba
So? Do I pass the w00t-test?

Sorry. :(

The359
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. God that's hilarious. You're trying to tell me THIS: looks better then this

Not only am I not saying that, but I didn't say that. I said the Galant's, while unorthodox in styling is not as cheap as the 6. I couldn't care less how they look. By the way, I don't think that's the US Mazda 6.

The359
Now building comparable Mazda 6's and Mitsubishi Galants, I find it quite odd that you can only get leather on a Galant if you also get the 6 CD Changer sound package as well as Side Air Bags. And yet for a Mazda 6 to add a sunroof, all you need to add is the 6 CD Changer. So after building the two with approximatly the same options on them, the Mazda 6S comes to $25,960 while the Mitsubishi Galant LS comes to $25,094. If you went with a GTS it'd be up to $26,217 and all you get added for that area rear spoiler, climate control, and heated mirrors.

Ugh. Okay, if you wanted a 6s that competes with a fully-specced Galant LS:

Galant LS = $21400
Leather Plus Package = $1395
Diamond Package = $1395
Sunroof Package = $800
Front side airbags = $250
Power driver seat = $300
TOTAL = $25500

Mazda 6s = $21500
Luxury Package = $1540
Sport Package = $710
Bose Audio Package = $635
Power sunroof = $700
Automatic transmission = $900
Front side airbags = $450
Power driver seat = $300
TOTAL = $26700

That's full-spec. I have no idea where you got your prices, not that it matters to me since you're wrong on the 6s requirements. The power sunroof, at $700, requires the Sport Package ($710). The Sport Package then requires the Luxury Package, $1540. The power sunroof also requires front side airbags, $450, which require the Bose Audio package ($635) themselves. I believe I've just laid out the reason I hate the Mazda 6: options. The web of options is so unbelievably pricey that any close competitor is better.

The359
Ford isn't making a huge profit off the Aviator because not many people are buying them, hence why they are killing it off and replacing it with a crossover with the same name within 2 years (more then likely Ford Freestyle based).

Ford's only not making a total profit off the Aviator because their analysts screwed up and told them to make way too many. If we're going by profit-per-unit, which is what I was going by since these vehicles aren't unbelievably profitable in total, Ford is making a grand profit off each Aviator sold. The problem is the ones left unsold. Lexus makes both a profit per unit and a total profit off the GX470 no matter how many you've seen.
 
6_15.jpg


That's a picture from Mazda Canada, so I'm assuming there wouldn't be a large difference between the canadian and the american version of the 6 right?
 
M5Power
Ugh. Okay, if you wanted a 6s that competes with a fully-specced Galant LS:

Galant LS = $21400
Leather Plus Package = $1395
Diamond Package = $1395
Sunroof Package = $800
Front side airbags = $250
Power driver seat = $300
TOTAL = $25500

Mazda 6s = $21500
Luxury Package = $1540
Sport Package = $710
Bose Audio Package = $635
Power sunroof = $700
Automatic transmission = $900
Front side airbags = $450
Power driver seat = $300
TOTAL = $26700

That's full-spec. I have no idea where you got your prices, not that it matters to me since you're wrong on the 6s requirements. The power sunroof, at $700, requires the Sport Package ($710). The Sport Package then requires the Luxury Package, $1540. The power sunroof also requires front side airbags, $450, which require the Bose Audio package ($635) themselves. I believe I've just laid out the reason I hate the Mazda 6: options. The web of options is so unbelievably pricey that any close competitor is better.

MazdaUSA.com and Mitsubishicars.com, built them both right on there. And as I stated, the only way to get certain packages on the Mitsubishi is to buy other things as well, so your complaint about the Mazda is the same complaint as the Mitsubishi.

And I have no clue why you threw in the Automatic transmission. You can't penalize the Mazda just because Mitsubishi isn't smart enough to offer a manual V6. So that knocks $900 off the Mazda's price bringing it to $25800 compared to the Mitsu's $25500. For the extra $300 I'd gladly take the manual transmission and screw some little 10hp. The Mazda 6 is better looking, its better quality, its better overal regardless of how exactly you have to get the options you want. Mitsubishi probably overrated the horsepower numbers anyway...
 
sUn
That's a picture from Mazda Canada, so I'm assuming there wouldn't be a large difference between the canadian and the american version of the 6 right?

Correct. I think the picture I posted above is of a 6i, you have a 6s.

Oh, and your new Frontier is identical to the Pathfinder:
2005-Frontier-image-1.jpg
 
MazdaUSA.com and Mitsubishicars.com, built them both right on there. And as I stated, the only way to get certain packages on the Mitsubishi is to buy other things as well, so your complaint about the Mazda is the same complaint as the Mitsubishi.

Except you have to order more with Mazda (more with Mazda! New slogan? I think so!!!) and less with Mitsubishi (less with Mitsubishi! New slogan? Definitely possible!!).

And I have no clue why you threw in the Automatic transmission. You can't penalize the Mazda just because Mitsubishi isn't smart enough to offer a manual V6.

94% of Mazda 6s's are made with the 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capability. In fact, it's rather difficult to find a non-special-ordered one with the manual. And if you do, there will be no $25800, the markup is stunning and they don't come down.

So that knocks $900 off the Mazda's price bringing it to $25800 compared to the Mitsu's $25500. For the extra $300 I'd gladly take the manual transmission and screw some little 10hp. The Mazda 6 is better looking, its better quality, its better overal regardless of how exactly you have to get the options you want. Mitsubishi probably overrated the horsepower numbers anyway...

Blah bleh bluh blee! Whatever you say!!
 
The359
Oh, and your new Frontier is identical to the Pathfinder:
2005-Frontier-image-1.jpg

Oh my god. :yuck:

That's just ****in wrong. As long as the Titan stays away from it, geez, that's gross. 👎 :sick:
 
I think it looks allright, whats so bad about it?
 
When the Altima came out, Nissan looked like it knew what it was doing, but man, those headlights are hideous(sp?)!
 
M5Power
Except you have to order more with Mazda (more with Mazda! New slogan? I think so!!!) and less with Mitsubishi (less with Mitsubishi! New slogan? Definitely possible!!).

So you're going to complain about getting more from the Mazda then you would from the Mitsubishi with comparable packages (like fog lamps, rear spoiler...) for the small price of $300? Excuse me while turn around and laugh....

94% of Mazda 6s's are made with the 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capability. In fact, it's rather difficult to find a non-special-ordered one with the manual. And if you do, there will be no $25800, the markup is stunning and they don't come down.

Um...who cares what 94% of Mazda 6s are sold with? You were the one who brought up performance, and the fact that everyone should buy the Mitsubishi because its got that whooping 10hp, yet you're telling us we can't buy a manual transmission on our Mazda 6 just because most other non-performance people don't? :dunce:

Add to that I know many Mazda nuts who have bought RX-8s, 6s, or 3s with manual transmissions with no markup whatsoever. So I have no clue where you're pulling that one from.

The Mazda 6 for quality, price, performance, and build quality is a far superior car to the Mitsubishi Galant. Period. Thankfully the rest of the public agrees and no one is buying the Galants, and Mitsubishi is quickly going down the crapper.
 
Evos wont save the company. Even with the MR and RS coming, the regular Lancers and the Evos are about the only things they sell. Everything else just sits around on the car lots and goes nowhere.
 
M5Power
Knee airbags are the new fad - they're cheap for manufacturers to install, and the theory is that if you had a wreck and the knee airbag was the difference from shattering your kneecap and walking away, you would remain brand loyal. A lot of Americans confine themselves to one car make because one of that make's product saved their life years ago; likewise a lot of people refuse to buy from certain companies because of deadly accidents with a company's product.

:lol: When did someone pull this out of their ass? This is almost hilarious because of how ironic it can be.
 
At Fusz we have a fair amount of stick 6s. I just put one in the showroom the other day. Markup? None. Why would there be?
I'd say that 35% of our 6 inventory are manuals, and it changes all the time. Special ordered? No. Very rarely have I seen a special order car. We do however make dealer trades(it's fun driving new cars on the highway and getting paid to) for cirtain cars/colors/options, but not a whole lot(I've only gone on 1 such trade). Now then, I will say that when the 6 first came out there was a shortage of manual models and markup was possible. Nearly 2 years into production there's not going to be markup.
Just about the only stick cars we don't have are Tributes. We don't have a single I4 Tribute, not that anyone would buy one anyway, the 201HP(that 1 added hp makes the difference) 3L V6 is a blast to drive, lots of torque.
 
The359
So you're going to complain about getting more from the Mazda then you would from the Mitsubishi with comparable packages (like fog lamps, rear spoiler...) for the small price of $300? Excuse me while turn around and laugh....

One thing I'm learning about car people and sports people who portend to be 'experts' is that they argue every single point with every single person who makes a point just so they can gauge how much the other person knows and how much of a threat they are to the self-proclaimed expert's knowledge. You and Firebird are good examples of this to the extreme - you two strike me as the kind who would literally write in to Automobile if you found a typo, demanding it be corrected next month.

Fortunately this time I'm going to play along because I know I'm right.

MITSUBISHI GALANT LS vs. MAZDA 6S

Okay, the midsize class is a lovely one. It's the most cramped segment on the market (unless you do like me and go through every single large SUV by trim, drive type, engine, and number of seats - easy until you get to the Ford Excursion). Power low is 140 (Gotta love the L300 1) and power high is 250 from Nissan (go me!) and Subaru, though one of those companies (hint: it's not Nissan) also has fuel economy, cargo volume, and interior room low. Any typos yet?

The most popular features in the class are (not in order):
- 6-disc CD changer
- Power sunroof
- Leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Front side airbags
- Anti-lock brakes
- Alloy wheels
- Automatic transmission

The most popular dimensional measurements in this class are (not in order):
- Fuel economy
- Cargo volume (trunk space, cubic feet)
- Rear leg room

Price and horsepower are, in order, the most significant measurements in this class. Okay!

The Mitsubishi Galant LS - or, as I've deemed it and as it will be known for the duration of the test, "winner" - starts at the winning price of $21400. That includes 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, the automatic transmission, and, um, nothing else on that list. Except the dimensional measurements, but that's later. Okay, adding the packages is next. The Diamond Package is a $1262 addition to Winner, but it's a damn good addition because it adds the in-dash 6-disc CD changer and alloy wheels we need so badly. And it requires the $800 Sunroof Package! But guess what? Winner likes the Sunroof Package because it adds a power sunroof. And we finish it right up with the Leather Plus Package, $1395, which adds heated leather and front side airbags. Now Winner is fully-loaded at $24900. Oh, and I know that doesn't add up. I'm actually giving you like $18. I round. Deal with it.

The Mazda 6s - or, as I've deemed it "Steve" - starts at $21500, including 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes and alloy wheels. Now, Steve's down on spec and packages are tough, so here goes: heated leather is part of a $1540 Luxury Package that requires the $710 Sport Package, which adds nothing, which requires the $635 Bose Audio Package, which adds the 6-disc CD changer. The Sport Package also requires the $700 power sunroof, which adds itself, which also requires front side airbags, which cost $450 and also adds itself. Finally, the automatic transmission costs $900. So now Steve is up to $26400, a straight $1500 more than the Galant with the same spec. But does it look like we're done here?

Next is power. You'll complain most here. The Mazda 6s has 220bhp, the Mitsubishi Galant has 230. I mentioned simply that the Galant has the largest engine in its class, which is true; you decided to turn that into "You were the one who brought up...the fact that everyone should buy the Mitsubishi because its got that whooping 10hp". Frankly, I don't know if I've even mentioned the power difference and I'd certainly never recommend a car on power alone, but to shut you up, I'll mention the power and move on to the simple acceleration statistics: the Mazda 6s manual - not the automatic, chosen by more than 94% of V6 buyers - does does 0-60 in either 7.0 (Motor Trend) or 7.5 (ConsumerGuide). I'll give you 7.1 - purely to shut you up, remember - and move to the Mitsubishi. Unfortunately I can't appease you here - four different sources quote 6.8 seconds and one quotes 6.9. Any way you slice it, the heavier Galant with an automatic is quicker than the 6 with either transmission. Maybe that ten horsepower is really 25 - it wouldn't be the first time Mazda's over-rated one of their fleet, nor would it be the second.

And finally, dimensions and fuel economy. The EPA makes it really easy by rating both vehicles involved with any transmission at 23.0 combined mpg. That's 19/27, since I knew you'd be checking. See, 19 + 27 divided by 2... Dimensions: Galant has 1.9" less rear leg room and 0.8ft more cubic feet of cargo space.

So, go with the 6 - get the slower, more expensive vehicle with less power and trunk space. At least the interior isn't as "cheap", whatever you've decided that means. Or go with Galant: cheaper, quicker, more powerful, same fuel economy, more trunk space, and 1.9" less rear leg room. Frankly I'll take the trade-off. 👍

Um...who cares what 94% of Mazda 6s are sold with? You were the one who brought up performance, and the fact that everyone should buy the Mitsubishi because its got that whooping 10hp, yet you're telling us we can't buy a manual transmission on our Mazda 6 just because most other non-performance people don't? :dunce:

Mazda wants it to be a consideration for families. Families want automatic transmissions. Even if you don't.

Add to that I know many Mazda nuts who have bought RX-8s, 6s, or 3s with manual transmissions with no markup whatsoever. So I have no clue where you're pulling that one from.

Not markup above sticker. Does anyone know what markup is? Okay, there's three prices when you buy a car. Price "A" is the invoice price, and I'll use Mazda's pricing policy on, say, an MPV LX to illustrate:

Invoice price (what the dealer pays): $4000
MSRP (retail price): $23300
Dealer markup (what the vehicle's sticker says): $41300

Now, on this MPV, the dealer would be making a pretty decent profit. The kind of person buying a Mazda might pay it. Incidentally, there's a fourth price which I like to call "above sticker" which is where people are suckered into paying more than sticker. The only people who do this have absolutely no negotiating skills whatsoever. Practically, they're all foreigners who have no idea how the car-buying process works in this country. ANYONE paying more than sticker shouldn't be allowed to exist with the rest of the humans.

Anyway - when you say "no markup whatsoever" you're saying your "friends" bought the "Mazda" for "invoice" which "is" hard to do. "Imagine" buying this "MPV" for "$4000." That's "no markup." For a "popular car" like a 6s manual, you're not buying at invoice, period (unless you buy a 6s manual with no options - then you're buying at invoice, but something that no-one else wants. Understand that.).

build quality

My favourite of the fake assessments!
 
The359
Correct. I think the picture I posted above is of a 6i, you have a 6s.

Oh, and your new Frontier is identical to the Pathfinder:
2005-Frontier-image-1.jpg
*out of left field*

That pickup is awesome. Our Nissan equivalent is the Hardbody. But compared to the Frontier, it looks like wet bread.

nissan8.jpg


*goes back to left field*
 
M5, why do you insist on constantly adding the auto on the Mazda? If we were questioning Mitsu on giving the Galant only a four-speed auto, why would we put an auto on the Mazda? Not to mention that the auto on the Galant is one of those "adaptive" autos, and this particular one has been shown to be slow in downshifting when trying to pass after being in stop-and-go traffic (sort of blunts the 230bhp for everyday use, doesn't it).

And your while your talking about costs, what about ownership costs and depreciation. You ask what cheap means, cheaps means that it feels cheaply made, an afterthought, hard plastics, which seem to be a dominant "feature" in the Galant, are cheap. Anything that doesn't hold up well can be considered cheap. Then we get to the reliability issue, Mazda has a history of making very reliable cars, and the 6 is no exception. Going on to the Galant, we all know how the last generation held up, and with cheap materials abound in the Galant, even to the point where the air vents feel cheap, how long is it going to hold up, certainly not as long as the materials in the 6. Certainly, the car that holds up better will have the better resale value.

Back onto cost, Kelley Blue Book prices the Mazda at 25930 (w/o auto), the Mitsubushi at 25440. A whole whopping $500 more for a car that hold it's value better than the Mitsu.

Mazda wants it to be a consideration for families. Families want automatic transmissions. Even if you don't.

And what does this have to do with anything?
 
You know, I've never seen a 30 year-old mother with triplets on car seats in the back with a 13 year-old daughter in the passenger handling the clutch and the transmission in a sedan before. I think mothers and sometimes fathers have enough stress handling the chores, job, and maybe, kids.
 
And considering M5 is telling US to buy the car, how many of US have kids and/or would prefer an automatic? Certainly not 94%.

And I'd like to point out, yet again, that that mere $1500 cost is more then made up for with the features you get (granted, you're REQUIRED to get them) for that extra cost, which is a styling rear spoiler, fog lights, and other little nice extras.

And as stated, the extra cost is worth it when it comes to maintenance, as well as having to put up with the Mazda mechanics instead of Mitsu.

Plus you get a better looking car.
 
Chevelle SS
M5, why do you insist on constantly adding the auto on the Mazda? If we were questioning Mitsu on giving the Galant only a four-speed auto, why would we put an auto on the Mazda? Not to mention that the auto on the Galant is one of those "adaptive" autos, and this particular one has been shown to be slow in downshifting when trying to pass after being in stop-and-go traffic (sort of blunts the 230bhp for everyday use, doesn't it).

In the midsize sedan class, one of the most wanted features is an automatic transmission. I've been over this. In fact, the Mazda 6s is one of just three 6-cylinder midsize sedans where an automatic transmission is not standard, the other two being the Volkswagen Passat GLX and the Nissan Altima 3.5SE. Otherwise, all of the following 6-cylinder models have an automatic transmission standard:

- Buick Century
- Buick Regal
- Chevrolet Impala
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Chrysler Sebring
- Dodge Stratus
- Ford Taurus
- Honda Accord
- Hyundai Sonata
- Hyundai XG350
- Kia Optima
- Mercury Sable
- Mitsubishi Galant
- Pontiac Grand Am
- Saturn L300
- Subaru Legacy
- Suzuki Verona
- Toyota Camry

As I've said - midsize sedan buyers want automatic transmissions. You people continue to harp on about the manual transmission. If you want a sport sedan, buy a sport sedan. We're not discussing sport sedans. For christ's sake.

cheaps means that it feels cheaply made,

And anyone who wants to come up with a fake criticism can pretty easily say 'cheap.' The Galant does not have a cheap interior, just a diferent one. Even though it's just as functional as the Mazda 6's interior, it's easy to level the 'cheap' criticism. I don't buy it.

Mazda has a history of making very reliable cars, and the 6 is no exception. Going on to the Galant, we all know how the last generation held up, and with cheap materials abound in the Galant, even to the point where the air vents feel cheap, how long is it going to hold up, certainly not as long as the materials in the 6. Certainly, the car that holds up better will have the better resale value.

You can't base the reliability of the new vehicle off that of the old one. :odd: I don't even think The359 would pull that. It's a completely new design. If you went by how the old model performed, we'd make no progress. Incidentally, how was the 1998-2002 Mazda 626?

The359
And considering M5 is telling US to buy the car, how many of US have kids and/or would prefer an automatic? Certainly not 94%.

This kind of proves my point. You're not in the market, you're just talking about what you'd buy if you were - yeah, you'd go for the manual. Practically no-one else does, if the standard equipment of that list of cars above is any indication. The truth of the matter is that, in this class, nobody wants manual transmissions anymore if they ever did. Manu-matic transmissions have taken over and some people don't even want that. Automatics are the future of automobiles.

By the way, I've not once told anyone to buy a Galant in this thread. I've said the Galant is a better midsize sedan. I proved that in my previous post which you entirely failed to address. And of course, once again, you're mis-quoting me or not even paying attention to what I said in the first place. At this point, you're clinging to fog lights and the fact that you think the 6 is better-looking. Oh - and "cheap." I leave this thread unimpressed with you this time. 👎
 
M5Power
As I've said - midsize sedan buyers want automatic transmissions. You people continue to harp on about the manual transmission. If you want a sport sedan, buy a sport sedan. We're not discussing sport sedans. For christ's sake.

If we're not talking about sport sedans, then why are you constantly talking about how great the performance of the Galant is? And just because most midsize sedan buyers out there want autos does not mean that we want autos.

You can't base the reliability of the new vehicle off that of the old one. I don't even think The359 would pull that. It's a completely new design. If you went by how the old model performed, we'd make no progress. Incidentally, how was the 1998-2002 Mazda 626?

I concede to you here, I must have written that without thinking. :dunce:

Practically no-one else does, if the standard equipment of that list of cars above is any indication. The truth of the matter is that, in this class, nobody wants manual transmissions anymore if they ever did.

Again, just because no-one else wants it doesn't mean that we don't want it.

I've said the Galant is a better midsize sedan. I proved that in my previous post which you entirely failed to address.

You've proved that from your point of view that the Galant is a better sedan. But in my point of view, the 6 is better. The fact of the matter is that I don't want a car that tempts me to steal one of those green "e" stickers they have on the back of Enterprise cars and put it on the back of it.

Anyway, this discussion really isn't going anywhere but trying to say that either the Galant or the 6 is a better car. The thing is that both of us have a different view of which is better, and we're not really convincing the other, obviously. You prefer the Galant and I prefer the 6, let's just leave it that way.
 
The Mazda 6 IS marketed as a sports sedan, hence why it has a manual transmission. And plenty of people WISH some of the midsize sedans out there offered manuals.

And my comment of the interior of the Mitsubishi being cheap was not based solely on looks, it was based on things fall apart, large gaps, flimsy controls, and various other things that are the definition of cheap. And need I remind you that some of these are cars literally straight off the truck with a whooping 1 mile on the odometer.

And I can base the reliability of the new Mitsubishi Galant off of how many have broken and need to be fixed ALREADY. Hell, we already have one 2004 sitting in our used car lot because the person who bought it had so many problems he got rid of it already. And I don't blame him.

And you told us to check out the Galant. We did. It's crap, it doesn't have what we want, and it's fugly. There, we checked it out. Move on.
 
Chevelle SS
If we're not talking about sport sedans, then why are you constantly talking about how great the performance of the Galant is? And just because most midsize sedan buyers out there want autos does not mean that we want autos.

I'm, uh, not talking about the Galant's performance. I mentioned it had more horsepower and better acceleration than the Mazda 6s. Considering I was comparing the two vehicles, I'd be stupid not to. I also mentioned fuel economy and rear seat leg room. The359 is the one who keeps bringing up how I keep telling everyone (who's everyone?) to buy the Galant GTS because it has ten more horsepower, even though I've never said anything remotely similar.

Again, just because no-one else wants it doesn't mean that we don't want it.

I don't understand. Who is 'we'? You and The359? You don't seem to understand that the automatic is installed in 94% of Mazda 6 models and 100% of the vehicles that I mentioned because BUYERS want automatics. Even if 'we' don't.

You've proved that from your point of view that the Galant is a better sedan. But in my point of view, the 6 is better.

Why? Simply because the Galant looks like a rental car? I don't think you've even seen a GTS, let alone been inside one. Yeah, the DE looks like a rental, and yeah, three rental companies have signed a deal for several hundred Galant DEs. But the GTS is a lot more business than the DE could ever be.

The359
And plenty of people WISH some of the midsize sedans out there offered manuals.

If so many people WISH that so many MIDSIZE SEDANS had MANUALS, don't you think it'd be WISE for the MANUFACTURERS to install them? We do focus groups, they spend a lot of money on marketing - if manufacturers could make a profit off manual transmissions (in both marketing and actual sales - because saying "an automatic is $1000 more" isn't an easy thing to do when it's standard on everything else), then manufacturers would put manual transmissions in. Duh?

And my comment of the interior of the Mitsubishi being cheap was not based solely on looks, it was based on things fall apart, large gaps, flimsy controls, and various other things that are the definition of cheap. And need I remind you that some of these are cars literally straight off the truck with a whooping 1 mile on the odometer.

Oh yes - the old "I've seen..." comments. "I've seen Galants with panel gaps so wide they had panel gaps of their own!" Right. I'll wait for JD Power to tell me what they've seen.
 
M5Power
Simply because the Galant looks like a rental car? I don't think you've even seen a GTS, let alone been inside one. Yeah, the DE looks like a rental, and yeah, three rental companies have signed a deal for several hundred Galant DEs. But the GTS is a lot more business than the DE could ever be.

Now you're trying to tell me I haven't seen the car? Why'd I bother posting? I've seen the GTS, it's ugly (maybe not to you, but it is to me), it's cheap, I don't like it or want it, live with it.

Oh yes - the old "I've seen..." comments. "I've seen Galants with panel gaps so wide they had panel gaps of their own!" Right. I'll wait for JD Power to tell me what they've seen.

You tell us to look at the took, we look at it, tell you what we see, and then you discard it as a "worthless" comment, why'd you ask in the first place. I could care less if JD Power says if it's a good car or not, I've seen what I've seen, and I don't like it, and JD Power isn't going to change that. Look, you like the Galant, I don't, neither of us can change that. Live with it. Move on. If you like the car so much, buy one, don't bother us by asking us to define what "cheap" is.
 
Back