• Thread starter zzz_pt
  • 10 comments

zzz_pt

Premium
Germany
Porto living in Hamburg
zzz_pt
Hey fellow gtplaneters,

I'm going to buy a new setup soon (next month) and I need some second opinions on what my plans are atm.

1. Cockpit:

This one is pretty easy and I'm almost sure is the one I'll be getting. It seems rather good for the price. It's the raceroom rr3033. It fits pretty much all steering wheels and pedal sets and looks sturdy enough. I looked into Simlab but the difference in price doesn't seem justifiable for me, and the fact the cockpit doesn't include a seat made it even harder to choose.

2. Wheel(s) and pedals.

In this one, my main concern is the compatibility with next Gen consoles (I'm getting the PS5 day 1 but I may also get the XBSX soon after).

My plan is to buy the fanatec CSL elite base, the V3 pedal set and then either the default steering wheel that comes with the base (the black GT style rim, only compatible with PC and Playstation) or the F1 styled McLaren rim, which would be compatible with PC, PS and Xbox.

What do you guys think of it? Maybe advantages and disadvantages?

3. TV or monitor.

This is the one I'm struggling the most with to choose. I'm more inclined for a TV because I want something with great image quality (4k HDR) compatible with next Gen consoles where I can also watch Netflix and Blu-ray films.

My doubts are:

- Is a good TV matching those requirements too large to mount on a Sim rig? My limit would be 48" max but I'm not sure that's too big to place on the cockpit I referenced above.

- Would I do better by waiting till black Friday to buy a good TV and, until then, play with a cheaper monitor/TV?

- Given the fact I'm not concerned with competitive gaming, is a monitor even a choice (since they don't match TV image quality for the price AFAIK)?

Thank you!

So, after talking with a few team mates who own Simlab and Fanatec, I decided to buy the P1X with the Sparco Pro 2000 seat.

This way I know I won't feel the need to upgrade any time soon, if ever. The aluminum profile allows for endless modifications and adjustments which is great.

Now my only question mark is the TV.

Good decision mate! i am also using a P1-X. You'll love it!

As for wheel and pedals, CSL Elite and CSPv3 are really solid choices. I am pretty sure the PS5 will support this as well.
As for the Rim, you won't be able to buy a McLaren Wheel from Fanatec anymore, just to let you know.
i can recommend the F1 Wheel. I use it in GT Sport myself and love it.

TV is up to choice, distance, mounting, etc.
i play on my TV which has a TV mount to move it around. Works perfect.

Good decision mate! i am also using a P1-X. You'll love it!

As for wheel and pedals, CSL Elite and CSPv3 are really solid choices. I am pretty sure the PS5 will support this as well.
As for the Rim, you won't be able to buy a McLaren Wheel from Fanatec anymore, just to let you know.
i can recommend the F1 Wheel. I use it in GT Sport myself and love it.

TV is up to choice, distance, mounting, etc.
i play on my TV which has a TV mount to move it around. Works perfect.

Thanks! I'll mount the TV (probably a 55" LG B9) on a Simlab TV mount. And I'm planing on installing caster wheels on both the P1X and the TV mount too to move them around when I want.

Oh and the wheel is the Formula V2, compatible with Xbox just in case. I don't know why I wrote McLaren. :D

OLED TV isn't the best choice for gaming if you play a lot, unless you don't use any static content (split, position tables and etc.).

I want to buy a TV for both gaming and movies. I know what you mean with the fixed content by I don't plan on having the same table/fixed content on screen. I think for that you need a uninterrupted game session where the pixels don't change in a particular part of the screen right? If I play, say an 1h race in GT, then go to the menus, and then another race, is that really an issue?

I don't know what other options have 2.1Hdmi without being oleds or high en TVs with a large screen.

Also, I work full time and would only play a couple of hours a day, max. On my free days I would have longer sessions but with breaks (where I could turn off the TV or just switch to YouTube or Netflix).

Personally I would not pull the trigger on an expensive wheel/pedal setup for consoles until I know 100% what the PS5 situation is.

Personally I would not pull the trigger on an expensive wheel/pedal setup for consoles until I know 100% what the PS5 situation is.

If PS4 titles are playable on PS5 I think they need to support PS4 compatible hardware. At least the most common like the newest models of Fanatec, TM and Logitech.

If I play, say an 1h race in GT, then go to the menus, and then another race, is that really an issue?
I have LG E9 too (not for gaming), so I've red quite a lot reviews according pixel burn-in problem. Some of the customers had problems after a little usage of static content, others haven't had any problems. There is a big test https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test
according to it casual user wouldn't have any problem, but I these static tables on screen scaring me a lot :)

I have LG E9 too (not for gaming), so I've red quite a lot reviews according pixel burn-in problem. Some of the customers had problems after a little usage of static content, others haven't had any problems. There is a big test https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test
according to it casual user wouldn't have any problem, but I these static tables on screen scaring me a lot :)

I'm a casual gamer I think. I just play more GT than other games. I used to play a lot more when I was younger, but not now.

Either way, the 5 year warranty I'll get from Saturn would cover burn-in issues.

Back