MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
Any chance of it liking like the Cien?
Other than possessing roughly the same proportions that all longitudinal midship sportscars have, and a similarly characteristic wedge, I doubt it.

It seems to me that Corvette, as a division at GM, want to retain as much "Corvetteness" as possible despite the atypical configuration, and the Cien looked more like a bloated Vauxhall VX220.

I'm really curious where Car and Driver is getting its information all of a sudden. In just the past week, it has told us that we are for sure getting a Viper and now it's saying we are for sure getting a 1,000 hp Corvette.

I'm really curious where Car and Driver is getting its information all of a sudden. In just the past week, it has told us that we are for sure getting a Viper and now it's saying we are for sure getting a 1,000 hp Corvette.
Well Hagerty had a source and leaked it a while back

Hagerty (the classic car insurance company) leaks info about the mid engine Corvette from a source called "GM Deep Throat"

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/12/mid-engine-corvette-coming

corvette_mr_frontquarter_dynamic_v1.ashx

Doesn't sound bad but it does sound turbocharged to me and I can't quite put my finger on why. Seems perhaps a little flatter than I was expecting, and given cars like the C63 or 488 at this point turbocharged cars don't have to sound bad.

I am interested to know what the pricing is going to be like. Are they going for 911 prices? A turbo V8, MR platform, and probably an all-round improvement to the car could get pretty expensive by Corvette standards. It'll probably be excellent and worth the money, but it kind of puts it [even more] out of the affordable performance category in the US and I wonder if the target market will change.

Doesn't sound bad but it does sound turbocharged to me and I can't quite put my finger on why. Seems perhaps a little flatter than I was expecting, and given cars like the C63 or 488 at this point turbocharged cars don't have to sound bad.

A turbo would indeed mute the higher pitched buzzes. If I had to describe the sound, it would be "hollow". While it might be an artifact of the recording, I agree with you.

Most people, however, expect turbocharged engines to sound worse than they actually do. That sounds pretty decent.

It does look a bit NSX-ish with the flares and the roofline. The rear end it cut away a lot more than the road cars we've seen so far.

Even more interestingly, they have the sound.

It's hard to say, but I'm going to go with a 4.0L flat-plane V-8, twin turboed (GTE regs limit turbo engines to 4.0L). I'd expect the street version to be a bit larger similar to the Cadillac 4.2L Hot-V version (but without the hot-V). If they're going to go turbo anyway. Still there are rumours about a 5.5L N/A flat-plane crank (though I've heard a 5.5L turbo as well), but I can't really see the N/A version alongside a massaged LT1.

This modernization of the Corvette certainly is interesting. They're getting rid of the old all at once it seems: DOHC, turbos, no more leaf springs, MR. I do think they maybe should spin Corvette out into its own brand. I know that one of the pet peeves of some Corvette owners is that they have to service their cars a regular Chevy dealer (where the experience is a bit lacking, especially for those who've spent $100k+ on a Z06/ZR1). A FR Corvette, and MR Corvette, and then maybe a baby-Vette? Of course, it's not exactly easy to do. And nowadays sports cars aren't exactly selling great, so it seems unlikely.

I do hope they offer a FR and MR Corvette at the same time though, as though MRs are great for performance, FR is a lot more practical for regular use. There's no way anyone is fitting the same luggage/cargo in the MR Vette compared to the C7.

Last edited:
If Chevy did produce a “baby” Corvette, what would it be named and what could they do with it? How small would it be and which engines would they fit?

@Dan If you spin it out to it's own "Corvette" brand, you can have them all called Corvette, just with their own unique names. Corvette Manta Ray, Stingray, Zora, Mako Shark. Actually, Mako wouldn't be bad for the baby-Vette. Corvette Mako?

Thinking about it more though, I'm not sure how to position it in the marketplace. Sort of a car more in line with the smaller German offerings is what I imagine really. A TT, Z4 sort of style of car. Probably I-4 turbo, V6, V6tt maybe? Obviously it would be less expensive than those, as the low-end C7 Corvette (mid-range in this hypothetical) compete with some of those models on price already. Maybe 35-55k? That's roughly in line with a TT (TTS, TTRS), 43-65k.

Last edited:
I don't really consider the Camaro to be a baby-Vette, as it's both bigger and heavier than the parent. Only in price does it resemble that. It's very capable, but not the pure sports car the Corvette is.

I'm not sure they want to bring the Fiero name back, haha. I do give them points for trying back in day though.

EDIT: More C8.R pictures of the front/side. Best look yet.

chevrolet_corvette_c8r_001_1_fff5d7120906b7d4a3ec90898440ea90a4692a5e.jpg

chevrolet_corvette_c8r_007_1_f55d3a6c371fc5aff5b819ce8792a690b2cbc7fd.jpg

chevrolet_corvette_c8r_012_1_91fe157cad168cc8acdc70b01ec625f9afb4026d.jpg

w45kx9ut5ed2dbnwitpb.png

a88w26jo0jopf6qilhrl.png

hnh9x390ue3jalowl8qq.png

Last edited:
It does look a bit NSX-ish with the flares and the roofline. The rear end it cut away a lot more than the road cars we've seen so far.

Even more interestingly, they have the sound.

It's hard to say, but I'm going to go with a 4.0L flat-plane V-8, twin turboed (GTE regs limit turbo engines to 4.0L). I'd expect the street version to be a bit larger similar to the Cadillac 4.2L Hot-V version (but without the hot-V). If they're going to go turbo anyway. Still there are rumours about a 5.5L N/A flat-plane crank (though I've heard a 5.5L turbo as well), but I can't really see the N/A version alongside a massaged LT1.

This modernization of the Corvette certainly is interesting. They're getting rid of the old all at once it seems: DOHC, turbos, no more leaf springs, MR. I do think they maybe should spin Corvette out into its own brand. I know that one of the pet peeves of some Corvette owners is that they have to service their cars a regular Chevy dealer (where the experience is a bit lacking, especially for those who've spent $100k+ on a Z06/ZR1). A FR Corvette, and MR Corvette, and then maybe a baby-Vette? Of course, it's not exactly easy to do. And nowadays sports cars aren't exactly selling great, so it seems unlikely.

I do hope they offer a FR and MR Corvette at the same time though, as though MRs are great for performance, FR is a lot more practical for regular use. There's no way anyone is fitting the same luggage/cargo in the MR Vette compared to the C7.

NOOOOO IT SOUNDS WRONG. Where's the goddamn LS sound we're used to????? I don't want a turbo V8 that sounds like a ****ing Ferrari, that's not Chevrolet to me! Death of an icon, just like the Holden Commodore. The only brand left doing proper sounding V8's nowadays is Mercedes...

I don't really consider the Camaro to be a baby-Vette, as it's both bigger and heavier than the parent. Only in price does it resemble that. It's very capable, but not the pure sports car the Corvette is.

I'm not sure they want to bring the Fiero name back, haha. I do give them points for trying back in day though.

EDIT: More C8.R pictures of the front/side. Best look yet.

chevrolet_corvette_c8r_001_1_fff5d7120906b7d4a3ec90898440ea90a4692a5e.jpg

chevrolet_corvette_c8r_007_1_f55d3a6c371fc5aff5b819ce8792a690b2cbc7fd.jpg

chevrolet_corvette_c8r_012_1_91fe157cad168cc8acdc70b01ec625f9afb4026d.jpg

w45kx9ut5ed2dbnwitpb.png

a88w26jo0jopf6qilhrl.png

hnh9x390ue3jalowl8qq.png
Is this built to GTE or GT3 regs?

As far as we know, anyway. It's always been GTE, and all the GT3 cars have been built by Callaway. Although GT3 seems to be a category in flux at the moment, so another strike against making a version applicable to both.

@CLowndes888 If it makes you feel a bit better, most if not all information we've gotten has indicated that there will be a version of the production car with an evolution of the current N/A LT1. For the race car though, if they're going turbo, they have to go small. And unfortunately, you can extract better efficiency out of a turbo in racing trim. That's most certainly the reason they're doing it.

Latest Posts

Back