MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
The more comparisons I see being given to GTA V, the more credit Rockstar's designers get. Which is a bit funny given GTA V's cars are all based on real-world stuff to begin with.

Which is so true, that sadly people can't seem to grasp that they're ingrained in GTA games more so than real car culture items. Before a car like this (still is since car guys here did that first) would compare it to other cars within the class or general style, yet more casual viewers seem to anchor it to something they're more familiar with, video games. Which honestly isn't cars in a general sense.

Which is so true, that sadly people can't seem to grasp that they're ingrained in GTA games more so than real car culture items. Before a car like this (still is since car guys here did that first) would compare it to other cars within the class or general style, yet more casual viewers seem to anchor it to something they're more familiar with, video games. Which honestly isn't cars in a general sense.
Now, how about we cut it down on "No true Scotsman" clauses considering I spend more time on the forum reading either Cars In General or Auto News?
The other guy referencing GTA in the car's design though though, I'll leave for him to comment about himself instead if he wants, I can't say much about him.

Now, how about we cut it down on "No true Scotsman" clauses considering I spend more time on the forum reading either Cars In General or Auto News?
The other guy referencing GTA in the car's design though though, I'll leave for him to comment about himself instead if he wants, I can't say much about him.

That's nice, my comment is a general idea of people I see all over the place making such correlations when a new car is released. And I'm guessing you didn't fully understand my comment and why I agreed with McLaren.

upload_2019-2-21_0-36-1.png

upload_2019-2-21_0-36-23.png

upload_2019-2-21_0-36-42.png

upload_2019-2-21_0-37-26.png

upload_2019-2-21_0-37-47.png

upload_2019-2-21_0-38-0.png

Look at that new Soul Turbo!
Yeah, those pictures were taken during the new Soul press event :lol:

Unfortunate for Chevy that there just happens to be a bunch of automotive journalists exactly where they're doing testing

From The Grand Tour S3 E8. Clarkson drove a C7 ZR1 Corvette and said it was "last ever front-engined Corvette"
20190301_111412.jpg

Did he confirm C8 Corvette will be mid-engine?

Last edited:
I doubt it. His old film on the V8 Vantage (I believe) as the last of the great sports cars turned out pretty uneventful as well.

What does it say in the middle between the seats? It looks like it says "Stingray" but I'm not 100%.

https://jalopnik.com/mid-engine-corvette-plagued-with-delays-could-launch-b-1833247405

The three problems that delayed the car are pretty big ones to have. First, GM is allegedly swapping the car to an all-new electrical architecture, which required a CAN revamp. Second, the underlying aluminum chassis can’t seem to handle the stresses of ZR1-beating horsepower, as test mules with a twin-turbo V8 flexed enough to break the engine cover glass. And finally, an unspecified underlying design issue needed to be worked out.

That sounds hilarious.

Maybe good news:
While we’re relatively sure the C8 will cost quite a bit more than the current C7 generation Corvette, Hagerty’s sources appear to be quite confident that the base model price will be somewhere in the $60-70 thousand range. Considering the current base Stingray starts at $55,900, that’s not too far of a reach for most buyers.

Would be pretty neat to see the return of the budget supercar, wasn't the GTR that much when it first came out?

No it was 90k USD. Corvette has always been the budget Supercar as far as I know. While the GTR, Viper and Porsche have been also in the range but slightly more expensive.
The GTR started at $69,850 when it first came out all the way back in 2008. However, the price of the GTR has grown quite a bit since then. I believe it starts just below $100,000 now.

18n1wgtz6xy0kjpg.jpg

The GTR started at $69,850 when it first came out all the way back in 2008. However, the price of the GTR has grown quite a bit since then. I believe it starts just below $100,000 now.

18n1wgtz6xy0kjpg.jpg

I'm basing my numbers off what was actually seen at dealerships locally in my area. They never were in that territory and were always marked up, since it was quite an expensive endeavor for a dealership to take with the hopes of still making some kind of profit. Last GT-R I saw in a dealership was 2016 and it was ~119k +. Nissan's own website for the US has the Pure at 100K even. So to bring this back to my original point anyways, the Corvette even in its premium options is still more of a bargain Super car than the GT-R. At the end of the day both are more a bargain than say anything you can buy from Aston, Ferrari, or Lamborghini.

I'm not sure how I feel about the first year of production having the 3.6L 6 cylinder as the only available engine.

The test mule LT2 engines are only making 330hp at the wheels. GM has yet to be able to produce a reliable 500hp given their budget on the engine production...the engines are ticking time bombs. The first year or so of production will NOT have a V8 option, the only engine option will be the 3.6 V6.

C8_spec-sheet.jpg

Assuming that dealer order thing is accurate (which who knows), a 3.6-liter V6 isn't horrible. Assuming they use the LF4 out of the ATS, then that means at least 464hp if not more. This would put it right around the current car's power figures (if we assume this mid-engine thing is a Corvette C8).

One thing that I'm sort of skeptical on with that though is the transmission. A 6-speed auto? The current Corvette uses an 8-speed auto as does the ATS-V which uses the LF4. At the very least I'd expect that, but really I'd wager it'll be a double clutch transmission of some kind.

Where did that come from? I'd be curious to see what people are saying about it.

Wait, the 6T50 is a transverse gearbox and the beefier 6T80 on which it's based is rated to 410hp and 369lb-ft.

Wait, the 6T50 is a transverse gearbox and the beefier 6T80 on which it's based is rated to 410hp and 369lb-ft.

I didn't even notice it was the 6T50. Isn't that rated for like 300 hp or less? Something tells me that order form is a bit bogus.

Assuming that dealer order thing is accurate (which who knows), a 3.6-liter V6 isn't horrible. Assuming they use the LF4 out of the ATS, then that means at least 464hp if not more. This would put it right around the current car's power figures (if we assume this mid-engine thing is a Corvette C8).

One thing that I'm sort of skeptical on with that though is the transmission. A 6-speed auto? The current Corvette uses an 8-speed auto as does the ATS-V which uses the LF4. At the very least I'd expect that, but really I'd wager it'll be a double clutch transmission of some kind.

Where did that come from? I'd be curious to see what people are saying about it.
Haggard Garage got ahold of it from a dealer meeting but it's been going around my old job from the Chevy dealer all day, seen it in an email from one my old bosses.

I didn't even notice it was the 6T50. Isn't that rated for like 300 hp or less? Something tells me that order form is a bit bogus.
I think it's over 300 but I can't imagine it's much over--it's supposed to be the most robust of the mid-range line (40/45/50), with the low end 30 and 35 intended for the very small cars.

I have a hard time believing the car will employ anything but a longitudinal power unit.

That's got to be photoshopped or something. He's the order form that apparently leaked: https://www.thedrive.com/news/27165...tte-c8-order-forms-leak-to-dealerships-report

Quite a few of the fields are different (tires, suspension, etc). If it is a photoshop, its one with a LOT of work put into it. It looks legit to me.

Makes me wonder if an NA V6 is going to be the base engine. No way they would have a twin Turbo V6 and an NA V8 making around the same power (~500), right? If they can keep the weight down, might be a compelling sports car. 350hp @ 3000lbs sounds pretty good to me.

Back