Camber settings

• Thread starter Gonales
  • 65 comments
Germany
Germany
x_XNyordiaX_x
I see a lot of people using a big amount of camber...

Is there any use in this except people think it looks good? I can drift a lot of these cars without any camber on them at all. It doesn't affect my speeds a lot either... (yes i have tried it; bored cause PSN is down.)

Anyway, please enlighten me :) (Sorry if this is a thread that was created already; but after searching for a thread like this over 15 mins, i decided to make this one nevertheless.)

Camber settings maximize grip whilst cornering due to body roll..
Most of the time front camber is used along with more castor ( not changeable unfortunately in GT5, But the angle of the suspension in relation to the front and rear of the car.)

cast1.gif

Drifters will oftern use posive castor if changeable with negative front camber to get a bit more steering lock on the vehicle, and more steering lock = bigger angles.

now onto rear...

Now cambered vehicles just look completely gangster anyway...
Crazy-Oni-Camber-Car-8.jpg

sorry back to rear camber...

As we know increasing camber increases grip in the corners as stated above, when not cornering, there is less tyre tread touching the road....less tyre touching the road = less grip/traction = easier to spin the back wheels up, useful on less powerful cars which may struggle to spin the wheels. A number of factors when choosing camber can be power of the vehicle (does the car struggle to spin the wheels?), tyre sizes, are you running massive tyres? as before more rubber = more grip solution wind on some camber..
other bonus-uses can include stability before during and on exit of the drift, and increased entry response...

However.. Camber only bonuses up until a certain point of grip. I.e If i wind on -3 degrees it will only aid grip until a certain point, then it doesn't grip anymore and in fact provides less grip duue to less tyre toucing..
its more trial and error to find out what suits..But combine camber and raised tyre pressures (again cant do on GT5) for less grip.
Here are the facts..
another reason for camber is..

Lowness:- if the car is too low and wheels too big camber can be used to fit the wheels in the arches if the arches are standard.(common in the Euro/Dub scene).

Alex

Last edited:
most people who cant set up a car put massive camber on it to make it slide. how ever all the wheels do is spin and you cant accelerate very well

sorry fadam my bad let me change that, i meant negative camber.

A lot of times people add "demon camber" to try to be unique as its hard to have an identity with the limited customization of cars. Some may think its functional, but anything above 5 in the front is just getting silly.

People tend to overthink their camber, most of the time the car actually drifts great without any negative camber at all.

Shoot, just slap 3 on the front and 1.2 in the rear and tune to taste. 👍

I use camber to increase or decrease grip and agility. If my car drifts the best without camber I don't use camber. Usually my front camber is around 3 it gives a good grip at medium angles and still lets the car go into high angles. Rear camber is just for cars which are too ''rear-happy'' but mad camber angles will also decrease the grip in the rear

i did a tune on my fairlady lastnight and im in love with it. Although its not online im sure i only have to adjust it alittle bit.

Chamber: Front= -4 / Rear= -1.5
LSD: 5/50/40

And for suspesion i put it as low as i can then went up 1 notch.

I laugh at the cars that I see with extreme camber. Anything over -3.0 is pretty pointless - in my opinion. The highest negative camber I have ever used was -2.2 and that is pretty much the break point in my opinion.

There is a point as to when negative camber does nothing to improve the vehicle performance - as pointed out by PK90 (nice pic of the Benz - failblog ftw)...

To generally drift nice, 2.0f 0.5r are the norm
Any more than that is for style...

Not really.

It greatly depends on the car, tire choice, horsepower, driving style, desired feel, among other things. Hell you can even get more specific and have different camber setups for certain tracks.

I know that by drifting the same car for weeks taught me that camber is very "car specific."

For instance, I use to run around 2.0 in the front of my Challenger, and after much trial and error, I've found 3.4 front allows me to hold a desirable amount of full lock when pulling larger angles. With less, my front tires burn up and understeer, losing their grip and control.

There is no "end all be all" camber setup, but to say using more than only 2.0 front camber is only for style is far from the truth. Even look at the real life Australian V8 Supercar racing series, I've seen them run 4ish in the front and 2 to 3 degrees rear camber and those are grip cars.

In regard to rear camber, I generally use anywhere between 0.8 to 2.0, but that is all dependant on the amount of wheelspin I'm going for, but that's an entirely different discussion.

Just sharing my opinions. 👍

I laugh at the cars that I see with extreme camber. Anything over -3.0 is pretty pointless - in my opinion. The highest negative camber I have ever used was -2.2 and that is pretty much the break point in my opinion.

There is a point as to when negative camber does nothing to improve the vehicle performance - as pointed out by PK90 (nice pic of the Benz - failblog ftw)...

yeah failblog indded....its not a benz btw.

comfort hard really doesnt need camber imo.. 0.0 camber is just fine if thats how you like it.. :) i keep it at zeros when im on a DS3..

I only use -4 in front cause it gives me more and and angle and better control. But like i said its all personal preference. it depends on the driver and what he/she likes

comfort hard really doesnt need camber imo.. 0.0 camber is just fine if thats how you like it.. :) i keep it at zeros when im on a DS3..

When your tires are the size of planets like mine, even comfort hards have quite a bit of grip, and tuning the camber correctly to fit driving style is key.

You're right though in a sense, I've drifted many cars with their stock suspensions and it feels fine to me, but by dialing in the right settings it will only increase the car's effectiveness and potential.

👍 👍

Read this for front camber.

As for rear camber, if I have too little rear grip mid-corner I'll put a few clicks of camber on and re-try it until I find something that works. In that respect, rear camber is a pretty one dimensional setting, as straight-line traction is pretty irrelevant in drifting.

Edit: Re-reading that thread makes me crave after more suspension setting variables :(

Honestly, as advanced as you think the suspension set-up is on this game, it's just not...
I'm sticking with my previous statment, any more than 2 makes no difference (ON THIS GAME, not irl ;))

yeah failblog indded....its not a benz btw.

Oh damn! You're right PK... At a glance it looks just like a late 90's Benz C-Class...

But now that I really look at it, it appears to be too long for a C-Class... It really looks like a Nissan Cedric (but I might be wrong on that one)... Damn Japanese cars looking like European cars!!

Is a big body nissan cedric...small than a Q45 aka as a nissan presdent or cimia

I see a lot of people using a big amount of camber...

Is there any use in this except people think it looks good? I can drift a lot of these cars without any camber on them at all. It doesn't affect my speeds a lot either... (yes i have tried it; bored cause PSN is down.)

Anyway, please enlighten me :) (Sorry if this is a thread that was created already; but after searching for a thread like this over 15 mins, i decided to make this one nevertheless.)

It would help out if you knew anything about actually drifting.

Maybe that's why he is asking here. You should stop posting useless comments trying to bring people down.

To the op I usually drift about 3 camber on the front. I don't know how this compares to you or real life but it works just great for me.

"Drifters will oftern use posive castor if changeable with positive front camber to get a bit more steering lock on the vehicle, and more steering lock = bigger angles."

From what i've seen from real drift car settings, people never add positive camber to the front tyres to get max grip while the wheels are on lock round a corner.

Read this artical about Camber settings from Mike Kojima, Dai Yoshihara's chassis engineer

while you have an that article from what I saw at FD round 1 they had + camber on their cars front tires, most of them did in fact which is kind of odd since Long beach circuit is near flat. In gt 5 i run 4+ in front camber and that improves steering during drift, i do find it hard to turn when not drifting.....but im rarely doing that. Also +1 on the back depending on power, which most are saying for underpowered cars i should camber rear. I am the opposite, if it has a lot of power ill put camber at +1 rear because I don't want it to slide to much without input. On underpowered cars i leave rear alone.

BTW: On a wheel so this might not translate to DS3

An artical from a chassis engineer who sets up many FD cars.... You do know the difference between + and - camber, don't you? Seeing as im pretty sure GT5 doesn't allow you to put any form of + camber on the front or rear tyres. Oh and i've been to drift events to, and never seen + camber on any of there cars, not to mention pictures of FD & D1 cars all over the internet

Just to clarify the difference for anyone who isn't sure

Camber_Explanation.jpg

Edit, here is a real life example

IMG_0017.jpg

Last edited:
On underpowered cars i leave rear alone.

The amount of camber shouldn't depend on how much power your car has. If your car has too little grip mid-corner, camber will help this, no matter if it has 100 or 1000hp. It's much easier to add some camber than it is mess around with ARBs and spring rates, which can mess up the balance of the car and give understeer.

while you have an that article from what I saw at FD round 1 they had + camber on their cars front tires, most of them did in fact which is kind of odd since Long beach circuit is near flat. In gt 5 i run 4+ in front camber and that improves steering during drift, i do find it hard to turn when not drifting.....but im rarely doing that. Also +1 on the back depending on power, which most are saying for underpowered cars i should camber rear. I am the opposite, if it has a lot of power ill put camber at +1 rear because I don't want it to slide to much without input. On underpowered cars i leave rear alone.

BTW: On a wheel so this might not translate to DS3

please please please tell/show me how you manage to get positive camber on gt5?

The amount of camber shouldn't depend on how much power your car has. If your car has too little grip mid-corner, camber will help this, no matter if it has 100 or 1000hp. It's much easier to add some camber than it is mess around with ARBs and spring rates, which can mess up the balance of the car and give understeer.

ok so for example my AE86 was 128hp standard when it left the factory in japan some 26 years ago, its had a pretty hard life being thrashed and taken to the redline daily, from cold, with no oil in (Im just listing here i am a mechanic so i don't need lectures). so lets for arguments sake say it has lost 1 horsepower per year. we get a figure of a 102 horse power. The engine has never been rebuild or had much maintained.

Imagine now the same Ae86 but with the Blacktop 20V engine conversion. Standard these are roughly 165 horsepower. Ive recently done a full engine rebuild on this engine and changed all the bearings, bearing surfaces, pistons con rods and rings. Its had fresh valves and been ported and polished, its running an after market exhaust system and an aftermarket ECU. Ive really gone the whole way with this car no expense has been spared, and for arguments sake its running 210hp......but in an identical chassis....

The lesser powered car is really going to struggle to spin the wheels with the down in power, so therefore we can add more camber to counter this. More -'ve = less tyre touching the road, less tyre touching the road less grip less grip = easier wheel slip....

Back