Camber Theory

It's having an effect - just as it did before 1.09.

But it isn't working as it should.

Nothing compared to pre 1.09.

Now you can have positive results using camber, before 1.09 you couldn't. Just check the tunes of the most respected tuners before and after the update.

It isn't working as it should, i agree on that. But in my opinion it is now closer to real results.

Again, did you not had any positives results using camber? I'm just curious.

Nothing compared to pre 1.09.

Now you can have positive results using camber, before 1.09 you couldn't. Just check the tunes of the most respected tuners before and after the update.

It isn't working as it should, i agree on that. But in my opinion it is now closer to real results.

Again, did you not had any positives results using camber? I'm just curious.

No, no positive results using camber. I've tried it on every car I've run in the Seasonals, and adding any front camber = more understeer.

And I didn't say it worked the same as before 1.09, only that it had an effect before 1.09 - the discussion isn't whether does 'something', it's whether it works as it should do. And it doesn't.

If it worked properly, you would see tunes with various degrees of negative front & rear camber. Instead, all I've found from any of the tuners with a longstanding reputation are a few from Praiano, running negative rear camber.

If people really believe that camber makes a car faster post some tunes in the seasonals section and let one of the fast boys run it against one without.

All of the suspension settings in the GT series (1-6 + updates) have always worked the same, including camber. The difference is what physics model they are affecting.

All of the suspension settings in the GT series (1-6 + updates) have always worked the same, including camber. The difference is what physics model they are affecting.

Up to GT5P, suspension settings broadly worked as expected.

In GT5, before they patched it, ride height was transposed - car had less understeer with high front ride height and a faster top speed.

In GT6, ride height is transposed (a la GT5) and camber doesn't work properly.

So how do you come to that conclusion?

I've never bought into that thought process, any settings in any gt game, when taken to extreme, can have the opposite effect and it's always been that way.

Not even PD is clumsy enough to have settings go backwards on their scales, or have front effect back and vise versa.

Back to my original point... it is the tire model forcing pd into this quick fix with wacked preset values. 👍

PD are clumsy enough as was proven in GT5 - in GT6, a 10mm difference between front and rear ride height is not extreme, yet this will significantly reduce understeer on pretty much any car you like.

Yes, and you take that to mean they have their settings swapped, I take it as their physics engine is lacking.

Remember the escudo in gt3? do you really think it would gain all the mph with the nose in the air?

EDIT: "It's basically backwards of what it's supposed to be, just like ride height."

"Setting camber to 0.0/0.0 will give you more mechanical grip."

Again, you are wrong here.

It depends in which context he is referring to. 0/0 camber will definitely improve straight-line grip and acceleration, of that I have no doubt, but it will decrease cornering speed & entering grip and therefore provide slower lap times on short, winding tracks.

Yes, and you take that to mean they have their settings swapped, I take it as their physics engine is lacking.

Remember the escudo in gt3? do you really think it would gain all the mph with the nose in the air?

Whatever the reason, it's wrong.

Never driven the Escudo... not my sort of car!

It depends in which context he is referring to. 0/0 camber will definitely improve straight-line grip and acceleration, of that I have no doubt, but it will decrease cornering speed & entering grip and therefore provide slower lap times on short, winding tracks.

Again, not true IME.

Camber doesn't work, whatever the track format.

People need to stop confusing real life with GT :lol:

The tire model does not work whatever the track format imo.

And :lol: Indeed confusing the two. Trying to bridge the gap however should be the goal for PD and players alike.

Again, not true IME.

Have you tried using camber on cars with heavy aero? The cornering difference is pretty significant. Maybe it isn't very noticeable on street cars because they lack significant downforce.

It's basically backwards of what it's supposed to be, just like ride height.

Setting camber to 0.0/0.0 will give you more mechanical grip.
Read the last few pages of the camber thread. Small amounts of camber with the proper toe adjustments add grip. More or less everyone that I race the lotus with at night use camber. I use camber. Beau is at the top of the time trial and he is using camber, etc. It works. It doesn't work backwards totally. It just doesn't work properly. I hope you've not been running 0/0 this whole time, because you've been missing out...

From my experience in GT3 cars since the last update, camber can help improve stability over curbs and during high load corners, but I have always lost lap time because of it. Personally I think camber is working, but not in the way you would normally associate with camber.

Like has been mentioned with ride height, it's almost as if the parameters in the game are backwards. But I know nothing of how the game was made, or how it was intended to be made. All I do, is test at each track and car, see if it makes a difference, when it doesn't just go back to 0.0/0.0 and crack on without it. I'm quite happy for camber to be faster for me at 0, means I have one less setting to fine tune for each race.

Have you tried using camber on cars with heavy aero? The cornering difference is pretty significant. Maybe it isn't very noticeable on street cars because they lack significant downforce.

Yes, on street and race cars... though it shouldn't matter.

From my experience in GT3 cars since the last update, camber can help improve stability over curbs and during high load corners, but I have always lost lap time because of it. Personally I think camber is working, but not in the way you would normally associate with camber.

Like has been mentioned with ride height, it's almost as if the parameters in the game are backwards. But I know nothing of how the game was made, or how it was intended to be made. All I do, is test at each track and car, see if it makes a difference, when it doesn't just go back to 0.0/0.0 and crack on without it. I'm quite happy for camber to be faster for me at 0, means I have one less setting to fine tune for each race.

^^^ 👍

It might 'feel' better, but lap times deteriorate.

Really?, because from all of my testing and in the opinions of the majority, camber has indeed been fixed. Granted, its not true to real life settings, but by using camber now, grip has been improved and in some cases, lap times can also be improved. I agree that the default camber settings are a joke, but to say that, that update did not fix camber is wrong when in fact, at the very least, it did improve things. I myself have no problem in using camber now and making it beneficial to my tunes. Sure, there are those few that say it hasn't been fixed, but I really don't think they are going about implementing it into their tunes correctly. You can't just slap camber on an existing pre v1.09 tune and expect it to work. You have to re-do the tune with camber implemented in to properly see the effects and benefits.

EDIT: "It's basically backwards of what it's supposed to be, just like ride height."

"Setting camber to 0.0/0.0 will give you more mechanical grip."

Again, you are wrong here.

Don't trust anybody with a cartoon pony in their avatar.

:lol:

I think the question of the OP was already answered.

This discussion can be found here

All can i can say is that i have positive results using camber, after the 1.09 update.

Good point. 👍 I was going to post that link for Stotty but got wrapped up in the NASCAR news and forgot all about it. Thanks for posting it. 👍

Good point. 👍 I was going to post that link for Stotty but got wrapped up in the NASCAR news and forgot all about it. Thanks for posting it. 👍

I'm aware of that thread (and have posted in it previously).

Doesn't change my opinion.

Yes, on street and race cars... though it shouldn't matter.

^^^ 👍

It might 'feel' better, but lap times deteriorate.

How do you figure? People who have been doing very well in time trials...ie winning have been using camber. Must be doing something. The fastest guys I race with use camber and five of them are in the top 20 of the lotus time trial. I sunk down the list as I stopped after the first day, because time trials make me anxious as hell to point that it ruins a few days for me, but am still in the top 100. Camber improved lap times with the correct lines and use of the racing groove where it needs to be. If you're running the same lines around a track that you always have with a different alignment, of course your times will go down. I also tested several zero camber setups, including weiders (who I race with very much) and I just couldn't beat my best time with them. And weiders 0/0 tune is very good. Very good. It is essentially the base of nearly all top lotus drivers' setups. By now, many have evolved into a completely unrecognizable tune, but that is still where we started from. All I'm going to say is use less than a degree. If your using camber and slowing down or having issues, it is entirely in your suspension setup. I kid you not, doing something as simple as upping a damper setting by one click can change everything. It can complete the tune and all of the sudden the car feels like a vacuum to the ground or it will want understeer off the track. Don't go straight to blaming it on camber. Springs are massive into this as well. Too hard and you'll slide around at low speed or you'll get a washboard/yaw effect. Too soft and you'll get gobs of low speed traction, but guarantee losses of grip at high speeds. I set every single one of my cars up no higher than 12mm from the lowest height possible. Stiffer springs for lower cars. I balance the chassis first. Springs are solely for supporting vehicle weight. Then I move onto toe and camber. Then I do dampers. Then I adjust springs to find sweet spots between high and low speed grip. Then I readjust dampers and toe for a few days until it is more or less perfect in my opinion. I generally stick to tuning cars that I will be doing online series with.

Ive said this before...i have no ego with my driving. Dont get me wrong, I F'ing HATE losing. But anytime i bring up an accomolishment or lap time of my own is to provide direct proof. I am modest as hell and believe egos come back to bight you. With that said my lotus uses camber and i am nearly always in then top three of our afternoon/nightly races, if I am not winning. I have good and bad nights. Sometimes I won't win one at all for a few days...but I'm always at the top. My is350 GT300 car with 630hp/600+ tq uses camber and I hang with or beat guys using LMPs and GT500s with the same power levels. Both of which are light than a gt300. My SLS GT3 uses it, but I've not competed with any top notch drivers using it yet in a series or with the daily/nightly crowd of Americans and Europeans that I race with (who are indeed top notch), so I can't honestly compare. My 908 uses camber and I do very well with that car. Very well.

The point I really want to make is that when you have worked with a car for months on end and tried so many combinations and setups...it is quite obvious to me and many others in the same boat that it helps. I don't tune a car for a day and go off using it for a little fun online, seasonals, etc. I use cars that I end up using to compete with for an extended period of time and break them down to a science if I can. People get so competetive, that you are left with no choice, but to test like it is going out of style. If your camber and toe settings aren't right, camber won't help. If your springs aren't set correctly, chamber won't help. If your dampers aren't set correctly, it won't help. If you don't know how to pair the diff up with rear toe, camber won't work well for you.

Idk how many times I have said this, but you can just add chamber and move the toe around. That is not how it works. Everything has to work in unison for camber to worm. This is what I've found. And when you hit the spot, the car is unbelievable. I had been ironing my gt300 car out the past few days. During the nurb seasonal, the front was washing a little much at high speeds through mid turn, but I didn't want to add more camber than I already had. Thought about it for a few minutes and set the front compression from 7 to 8 - I gained ten seconds per lap around the nurb. That is how much one setting can throw things off and one of the many things that can make you feel like camber does not work. It works for me at banked tracks, flat tracks, tracks with off camber turns - camber literally works everywhere for me. I don't use a single aid either...so my braking points are usually spot on for every turn, as are my lines. The lotus can be a challenge in the sense that at full power things are coming pretty quick, so I do make some mistakes sometimes.

People who think camber doesn't work are not setting the cars up correctly, then assuming it is camber causing it. Don't forgot that when you load negative cambered wheel, it toes out, too. So adjust your toe accordingly. I will never bother with a 0 camber setup again. Whatever approaches people were taking to set cars up in gt5 need to be forgotten about. Camber is not a magic traction maker like it was in gt5.

Stop powering through turns and start and carrying more speed into and through a turn. That is the main advantage to camber, you can carry far more speed into a turn with friction gains at the apex and with the correct amount of camber, toe and setup in general, you won't understeer on the way out.

People also don't like camber, because they have to turn in based on the alignment and tires, following a specific line and hitting grooves where you need to....or rather - must hit. You have to hit your turn in and braking points consistently, lean the car exactly the same every time, etc. They don't like camber, because they can't make mistakes suddenly and don't even realize that is part of the reason.

Tl;Dr camber is rewarding with the correct setup and driving. I'm really tired of seeing people say that it doesn't work, when we don't know much about/haven't seen their driving.

If you run train in seasonals, then I am a total idiot and eat all of my words...um, but yeah. Running out of ways to tell people as polite as possible that camber can help them. I even used camber in the rally seasonal and did pretty darn well.

Edit - sorry for all the typos, I am on my phone. Lap top crapped the bed.

Also, the ride height glitch is essentially non existent anymore. By merely changing ride height and nothing else in the setups, this is what I got:
Nose up 100%, rear down 100% - same top speed
Nose down 100%, rear up 100% - same top speed
Nose up 1mm from rear - ...+1 mph to top speed. One.
Nose down 1mm from rear - same top speed

Raising the nose one mill higher is simulating the nixing of low pressure zones under the car as you have more air coming in under the chassis and less sucking it out. Low pressure zones suck the car to the ground and create drag, so that explains the 1mph addition. It is not right, but not completely wrong either. Just like the camber. If it is working for an overwhelming majority of people more and more as we figure the new physics out...I would reevaluate exactly why you feel it doesn't work for you. Be careful saying it feels better and lowers lap times, then leaving it at that. Remember that is just for you and anyone else who feels as such. But most don't, so...

Last edited:
Whatever approaches people were taking to set cars up in gt5 need to be forgotten about. Camber is not a magic traction maker like it was in gt5.

Stop powering through turns and start and carrying more speed into and through a turn. That is the main advantage to camber, you can carry far more speed into a turn with friction gains at the apex and with the correct amount of camber, toe and setup in general, you won't understeer on the way out.
100% agree but the sweet spot is difficult to find because running consistent lines every time is tough, to put this to bed we need BOB and a data logger that is worth a hoot as well as a few extras like tire temp. I have and always will say that it mainly boils down to driving style as well. I've also noticed from tuning in the current FITT challenge that camber seems to help out even more when dealing with hard chicanes (the last chicane on Special Stage Route 5 for example) this just might be me, but I'm fairly confident with my theory and wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

How do you figure? People who have been doing very well in time trials...ie winning have been using camber. Must be doing something. The fastest guys I race with use camber and five of them are in the top 20 of the lotus time trial. I sunk down the list as I stopped after the first day, because time trials make me anxious as hell to point that it ruins a few days for me, but am still in the top 100. Camber improved lap times with the correct lines and use of the racing groove where it needs to be. If you're running the same lines around a track that you always have with a different alignment, of course your times will go down. I also tested several zero camber setups, including weiders (who I race with very much) and I just couldn't beat my best time with them. And weiders 0/0 tune is very good. Very good. It is essentially the base of nearly all top lotus drivers' setups. By now, many have evolved into a completely unrecognizable tune, but that is still where we started from. All I'm going to say is use less than a degree. If your using camber and slowing down or having issues, it is entirely in your suspension setup. I kid you not, doing something as simple as upping a damper setting by one click can change everything. It can complete the tune and all of the sudden the car feels like a vacuum to the ground or it will want understeer off the track. Don't go straight to blaming it on camber. Springs are massive into this as well. Too hard and you'll slide around at low speed or you'll get a washboard/yaw effect. Too soft and you'll get gobs of low speed traction, but guarantee losses of grip at high speeds. I set every single one of my cars up no higher than 12mm from the lowest height possible. Stiffer springs for lower cars. I balance the chassis first. Springs are solely for supporting vehicle weight. Then I move onto toe and camber. Then I do dampers. Then I adjust springs to find sweet spots between high and low speed grip. Then I readjust dampers and toe for a few days until it is more or less perfect in my opinion. I generally stick to tuning cars that I will be doing online series with.

Ive said this before...i have no ego with my driving. Dont get me wrong, I F'ing HATE losing. But anytime i bring up an accomolishment or lap time of my own is to provide direct proof. I am modest as hell and believe egos come back to bight you. With that said my lotus uses camber and i am nearly always in then top three of our afternoon/nightly races, if I am not winning. I have good and bad nights. Sometimes I won't win one at all for a few days...but I'm always at the top. My is350 GT300 car with 630hp/600+ tq uses camber and I hang with or beat guys using LMPs and GT500s with the same power levels. Both of which are light than a gt300. My SLS GT3 uses it, but I've not competed with any top notch drivers using it yet in a series or with the daily/nightly crowd of Americans and Europeans that I race with (who are indeed top notch), so I can't honestly compare. My 908 uses camber and I do very well with that car. Very well.

The point I really want to make is that when you have worked with a car for months on end and tried so many combinations and setups...it is quite obvious to me and many others in the same boat that it helps. I don't tune a car for a day and go off using it for a little fun online, seasonals, etc. I use cars that I end up using to compete with for an extended period of time and break them down to a science if I can. People get so competetive, that you are left with no choice, but to test like it is going out of style. If your camber and toe settings aren't right, camber won't help. If your springs aren't set correctly, chamber won't help. If your dampers aren't set correctly, it won't help. If you don't know how to pair the diff up with rear toe, camber won't work well for you.

Idk how many times I have said this, but you can just add chamber and move the toe around. That is not how it works. Everything has to work in unison for camber to worm. This is what I've found. And when you hit the spot, the car is unbelievable. I had been ironing my gt300 car out the past few days. During the nurb seasonal, the front was washing a little much at high speeds through mid turn, but I didn't want to add more camber than I already had. Thought about it for a few minutes and set the front compression from 7 to 8 - I gained ten seconds per lap around the nurb. That is how much one setting can throw things off and one of the many things that can make you feel like camber does not work. It works for me at banked tracks, flat tracks, tracks with off camber turns - camber literally works everywhere for me. I don't use a single aid either...so my braking points are usually spot on for every turn, as are my lines. The lotus can be a challenge in the sense that at full power things are coming pretty quick, so I do make some mistakes sometimes.

People who think camber doesn't work are not setting the cars up correctly, then assuming it is camber causing it. Don't forgot that when you load negative cambered wheel, it toes out, too. So adjust your toe accordingly. I will never bother with a 0 camber setup again. Whatever approaches people were taking to set cars up in gt5 need to be forgotten about. Camber is not a magic traction maker like it was in gt5.

People also don't like camber, because they have to turn in based on the alignment and tires, following a specific line and hitting grooves where you need to....or rather - must hit. You have to hit your turn in and braking points consistently, lean the car exactly the same every time, etc. They don't like camber, because they can't make mistakes suddenly and don't even realize that is part of the reason.

Tl;Dr camber is rewarding with the correct setup and driving. I'm really tired of seeing people say that it doesn't work, when we don't know much about/haven't seen their driving.

If you run train in seasonals, then I am a total idiot and eat all of my words...um, but yeah. Running out of ways to tell people as polite as possible that camber can help them. I even used camber in the rally seasonal and did pretty darn well.

Edit - sorry for all the typos, I am on my phone. Lap top crapped the bed.

Also, the ride height glitch is essentially non existent anymore. By merely changing ride height and nothing else in the setups, this is what I got:
Nose up 100%, rear down 100% - same top speed
Nose down 100%, rear up 100% - same top speed
Nose up 1mm from rear - ...+1 mph to top speed. One.
Nose down 1mm from rear - same top speed

Raising the nose one mill higher is simulating the nixing of low pressure zones under the car as you have more air coming in under the chassis and less sucking it out. Low pressure zones suck the car to the ground and create drag, so that explains the 1mph addition. It is not right, but not completely wrong either. Just like the camber. If it is working for an overwhelming majority of people more and more as we figure the new physics out...I would reevaluate exactly why you feel it doesn't work for you. Be careful saying it feels better and lowers lap times, then leaving it at that. Remember that is just for you and anyone else who feels as such. But most don't, so...

Firstly, thanks for the very full & comprehensive reply!

Secondly, I’m not set in my views. I’d be more than happy to find a way to make my cars faster/handle better.

However, unlike yourself (or Cargo), I’ve never said ‘most’ (or ‘the majority’) think camber doesn’t work. All I’ve said is that I don’t think it works, the tunes I’ve seen posted for the Seasonals here at GTP don’t use it, and the 2 most respected tuners on the forum don’t use it. As far as the Seasonal tunes are concerned, these aren’t random tunes, these are tunes built by proven fast drivers; not drivers who turn up for one seasonal, these drivers consistently rank top 10, whatever the car/track combo.

I’ve heard the ‘you have to build the tune to specifically work with camber’ from a few people before, and it is, IMO, Bull ****. If camber worked, you could simply add it to a stock car and see an improvement. The rest is intellectual masturbation as far as I’m concerned.

With regard to ride height, I’m sorry if I misled. I don’t see a top speed advantage in GT6 in the same way as in GT5. But you still get a massive benefit of reduced understeer running negative rake... so the glitch still exists.

I’m still waiting for those that believe camber works to post a tune for the Seasonals. The Seasonals are where the fast drivers hang out (whether they post on GTP or not, a lot of the World’s fastest drivers still use the forum to see what others are running), and these are the drivers with the skills to run fast and consistently enough to notice the advantages.

100% agree but the sweet spot is difficult to find because running consistent lines every time is tough, to put this to bed we need BOB and a data logger that is worth a hoot as well as a few extras like tire temp.

Why would you think BOB would be any help... they were so rubbish in GT5 you wouldn't trust them with a mild float :lol:

I thought he was pretty good if you ran him at a slower pace. But, yes if you pushed him, there would be chaos. I can remember a few tracks where you had to calm him down before getting to a certain part or else he'd be off in the kitty litter...every time!:lol:

I thought he was pretty good if you ran him at a slower pace. But, yes if you pushed him, there would be chaos. I can remember a few tracks where you had to calm him down before getting to a certain part or else he'd be off in the kitty litter...every time!:lol:

Just look at how the AI drive in GT6... doesn't bode well for BOB :lol:

@Stotty

Those tunes for seasonals from the top tuners on a forum are base tunes and people tweak them to their own driving, so you have no idea what the top people are actually using. Sure, there are people who use the tune and change nothing, but that is rare for people placing well. Also...a lot of people that do very well in the seasonal either aren't on here or they don't post to tell everyone how well they're doing. A LOT of people use their own tunes. Not sure how you figure who is using what. People may use the same car, like the gsxr for example, but as I said...most use our own tunes. Of course some people will say "yes, I used x's tune". They're not going to give many hints as to what they're doing for setup, most notably when they'll be using the car in future seasonals or online leagues/series. Some people will be helpful, most won't even post/aren't on here...and that's why you couldn't have any idea as who is using what. I don't, other than the people who have told/shown me their setup.

Just because these tuners put out a good seasonal setup and some people on the forum report that they have good luck with it...that has nothing to do with the amount of people at the top and what they're setups look like. The people posting feedback and experiences on here are a fraction of people doing the seasonals. Also, you would be surprised at how many people say what they use to throw people off, too. They'll believe someone who is doing very well and he or she is not really using said setup. Idk. We don't have to agree. I don't feel like going back and forth. I didn't read much of your post once it got into saying things like intellectual masurbation and crap like that. That is filler from someone who is either running out of things to say or just wants to ramble on/sound like smug. Intellectual masturbation. lol.

A lot of these top tuners agree with me. Many have directly addressed it as such in threads. I've been saying the same things since the week 1.09 rolled out and have never changed my standpoints. A certain, highly respected tuner argued with me over decreased braking distances with more negative camber and that is just one example. So, don't run off and go saying that the top tuners this and that.

You can continue to think it doesn't work and not use it. I'll continue to let it work well for me. Simple. There are a lot of reason people aren't posting cambered tunes. They either want to use them competitively or they know it is notnfir everyone. Some may even be weary of their reputations and opening up a new can of worms over camber. It is complicated.

Which tuners on here that consistently release tunes place within the top ten very often? Where have I been? You can't trust that they are using the same tune either, dude. Even if they placing that high, consistently. I wouldn't trust, because I wouldn't give out the exact tune myself. I have no shame in being honest about that. It is the exact reason indo not post tunes. Who wants to be beaten with their own tune, after putting a LOT of time and effort into it? Often over a thousand miles worth to dial it in and still have more to gain. Not many, which is why the "top" tuners are far and few between on here. There are not many, unfortunately. Example where that can be seen - FITT challenge submissions. Take all of the people that do a seasonal time trial. Then consider the amount of tuners on here. I don't race with anyone regularly who uses a tune from any top tuner on here. They may have at some point, but not anymore as they've figured out the physics update. You make an fair portion of assumptions with this stuff. It is amazing what some people think and say and/or assume about people who place well in seasonals. Be it the driver, their setup or both without even knowing or talking to them.

Edit - Camber does not help :x

Last edited:
I think you're referring to the Toyota GT-One.

You could do this with the Escudo as well. It was a very common cheat for Test Course lap times in GT3. So common that it was plain obvious when people were using the wheelie trick, and were consequentially banned from times leaderboards on the spot, back in the day. :lol:

I think there were a few other cars that could do the wheelie trick too.

Back