Camera angles especially chase cam...

• Thread starter DonZonda
  • 105 comments
Germany
Germany
xXGalmOneXx
xXGalm OneXx
Hey guys!

Am I the only one who's bothering the awful chase cam and strange roofcams? From the new footage it seems as its still the same as in GT5... static behind the car with narrow FOV = sense of speed killer, and way too far away from the car.

I wonder why all those beautiful premium cars if you can't enjoy them in the gameplay? For time trail sessions I love chase views to watch the car moving, to see the suspension work and bodyroll, the wheels spin etc. But it's not possible to watch the premium cars in motion in it's all beauty. And the reason? Right the chase cam!

Why isn't it even rotateable in a 360° like everywhere else?

I took a video with my phone from another game, just to show off how I would wish the chase cam was in GT6... :indiff:
Close to the car and rotateable.

Does anyone agree???

I miss the chasecam from Gt2/Gt3 were you could pick your distance to the car and the nonfixed to car cam...hopefully the bring it back as well as an improvement when playing with pad

So yes, i agree ;)

I miss the chasecam from Gt2/Gt3 were you could pick your distance to the car and the nonfixed to car cam...hopefully the bring it back as well as an improvement when playing with pad

So yes, i agree ;)

I know right? I remember I pressed L1 or so once every time before a race in GT2 just to get to the right camera...
Yeah I don't really like to play with bumper camera :indiff:

By the way, I agree. Almost every other racing simulator has a 360º rotateable camera save for Gran Turismo...
And I like this kind of camera view, but more when free running than racing itself. I did it on a different game and I ended up crashing.

One of the best things in rFactor is the free chase cam, I enjoy zomming in/out/left right while I'm driving slow, just to admire the car.

One of the best things in rFactor is the free chase cam, I enjoy zomming in/out/left right while I'm driving slow, just to admire the car.

+1

and that's what it's about! Why does GT5 premiums when you can't enjoy them at all while driving them... :ouch:

I hate the chase cam in GT5. I could never figure out whop thought it was a good idea to change it from previous installments, and why someone else in the board room said "That's a great idea!" and they scrambled to make a chase cam on par with the original Mario Kart.

I don't understand the insane modelling of the cars without being able to freely control the camera. It just seems really REALLY daft to always be stuck at the back, where it looks more like the track is moving instead of the car.

I don't understand the insane modelling of the cars without being able to freely control the camera. It just seems really REALLY daft to always be stuck at the back, where it looks more like the track is moving instead of the car.

that's exactly the same I think aswell... And I don't get it!

I've been asking for a few years now that Kaz implement a fully configurable series of driver cams in four basic locations:
  • Bumper
  • Interior
  • Roof
  • Chase
And your strange 360 cam if you like. ;) Then you can adjust a number of parameters for them:
  • Field of view
  • Fixed/loose, and amount of drift
  • Shake amount and lag
And further, that you can delete views and add them back in from the master Options page, and save edits to views to individual cars.

This seriously needs to be in GT6, because it seems that a number of people complain about the views in GT5.

What we really need is a rear view mirror for all camaras, not just bumper and in car.

Yeh agreed. Just the a full options list. I feel like they need a proper UI customisation settings. They have one in GT5, but you cant change half the things on your screen. Toggle mirror, toggle driver names above cars (online), view distance in chase, FOV in all views etc etc.

Actually, that 360 cam (whilst I dont really mind about checking my ride whilst racing) would actually be really nice. For me (I use the bumper cam) I hate it when I'm racing very close or side by side, it's important to make lots of quick checks as to where the other car(s) are around you. I find when I look to the left or right, and it just instantly faces sideways, it can throw you off considerably. I would be much more comfortable if you could have it pan left/right as you press the button. Maybe just a personal preference, but I think it would really help in those close quarters situations.

Its such a great cam I cant play racers that don't have it due to the fact that its so F'n annoying . Motor storm apocalypse has chase cam done right , motorsorm pacific rift and mid night club la have chase cam done wrong * wobbly POS* , but gt5's cam is great and honestly id keep it unless we got gt3's cam back

I like two chase cams, although now I'm used to the GT5 chase cam I find it difficult to go back to previous versions. The chase cam certainly doesn't need to be closer to the car than it already is.

I've been asking for a few years now that Kaz implement a fully configurable series of driver cams in four basic locations:
  • Bumper
  • Interior
  • Roof
  • Chase
And your strange 360 cam if you like. ;) Then you can adjust a number of parameters for them:
  • Field of view
  • Fixed/loose, and amount of drift
  • Shake amount and lag
And further, that you can delete views and add them back in from the master Options page, and save edits to views to individual cars.

This seriously needs to be in GT6, because it seems that a number of people complain about the views in GT5.

Agreed. Unfortunately I highly doubt whether anything will be changed in this regard.

I been wanting a 360 cam since gt3.I like GT5/6 chase cam but I dont like the fov in some race games because it distort the shape of the car making the back look fatter than the front.Forza Horizon close chase cam was pretty good.

The views never seem to have bothered me all that much but yeah, I guess having a 360* camera couldn't hurt.

oink83
I find when I look to the left or right, and it just instantly faces sideways, it can throw you off considerably. I would be much more comfortable if you could have it pan left/right as you press the button.

Yeah, that's needed very much too. It throws me off when glance either to my rear or sides and when I look forward again, the screen is VERY bright and the light has to adjust for a second. If it would rotate smoothly, I'm sure that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Honestly what I want is for the camera view to always be locked to cockpit during races and especially time trials. If this is supposed to be a driving simulator, they need to do more simulation, and they should start with the basics. You can't drive a car from the bumper, roof, hood, or 20 feet behind it. The visibilty advantages/disadvantages of each car should come into play, people shouldn't be able to take the easy way out and switch to another view to get more visibilty, it's not right. Especially during rain racing. i never understood why in the rain, the only view that had it's view obscured by rain was the in car view. It's not fair to the people who drive from the proper view when everyone else just switches to another view when it's raining. You're supposed to deal with poor visibilty in the rain, otherwise it's half pointless

Hey guys!

Am I the only one who's bothering the awful chase cam and strange roofcams? From the new footage it seems as its still the same as in GT5... static behind the car with narrow FOV = sense of speed killer, and way too far away from the car.

I wonder why all those beautiful premium cars if you can't enjoy them in the gameplay? For time trail sessions I love chase views to watch the car moving, to see the suspension work and bodyroll, the wheels spin etc. But it's not possible to watch the premium cars in motion in it's all beauty. And the reason? Right the chase cam!

Why isn't it even rotateable in a 360° like everywhere else?

I took a video with my phone from another game, just to show off how I would wish the chase cam was in GT6... :indiff:
Close to the car and rotateable.

Does anyone agree???

I think exactly the same, great post

Honestly what I want is for the camera view to always be locked to cockpit during races and especially time trials. If this is supposed to be a driving simulator, they need to do more simulation, and they should start with the basics. You can't drive a car from the bumper, roof, hood, or 20 feet behind it. The visibilty advantages/disadvantages of each car should come into play, people shouldn't be able to take the easy way out and switch to another view to get more visibilty, it's not right. Especially during rain racing. i never understood why in the rain, the only view that had it's view obscured by rain was the in car view. It's not fair to the people who drive from the proper view when everyone else just switches to another view when it's raining. You're supposed to deal with poor visibilty in the rain, otherwise it's half pointless

So you would basically like everyone to be forced to drive with the view you like? Sad really but then it would make sense to have an option where if you are the host that you could set this.

As for the Cockpit view I feel it is not realistic as I am setting to far from the windscreen and dash board and see to much of the interior directly in from of me. My wheel is at the normal distance from my body and the TV is another 3 feet or so in front of that and then on screen I see another wheel along with details of the dash that I would only see in a real car if I were to look down a bit.

I do like the wipers in the rain and snow and it surely makes it harder to see but to much of the view port is taken up by things that I do not want nor should be able to see while looking at the road ahead. If the camera was dash mounted I would use the interior view much more often but I surely would not want to be forced into a cockpit view in every race nor would most other drivers.

Thats true, everybody should be able to drive how they want, it's still a game and the cockpit views in racing games arent realistic anyways. Not enough sight on the road.

Anyways this was more about the chase cam here :sly:

So yes, i agree ;)

It was actually GT1/GT2. GT3 only had the one chase cam, which I really hated.

There needs to be options for the player, not simply recycling everything from previous GT games.

I'm pretty sure that PD will be thinking 'mmmm...what kind of person bys a racing simulator to drive from a view 10ft behind the car, because no racing in real life is done that way.'

I honestly don't see the fixation with chase cam. As soon as interior view was introduced I was sold on that. Anything else just lessens the immersion.

I understand that you may want to admire the level of detail on some nice cars but that can be done in race while one is passing through the field.

I'm pretty sure that PD will be thinking 'mmmm...what kind of person bys a racing simulator to drive from a view 10ft behind the car, because no racing in real life is done that way.'

No racing in real life uses skid recovery forces, anything resembling GT5 seasonals, or racing without qualifying.

Let's not use realism to justify poor game design.

I'm not justifying the use of unrealistic inclusions, just that personally, I feel that development time could be better spent on other aspects which need addressing, but like I say, that's just my thoughts on the matter. If people feel that the camera angles need improving then of course the developers should take note, after all, it's made for a wide audience.

I'm not justifying the use of unrealistic inclusions, just that personally, I feel that development time could be better spent on other aspects which need addressing, but like I say, that's just my thoughts on the matter. If people feel that the camera angles need improving then of course the developers should take note, after all, it's made for a wide audience.

I just feel PD should be getting the basics right before trying to model entire cities like Andalucia. It would only make up a tiny fraction of the development time implementing changes like the cameras or the HUD in comparison.

Back