Camera angles especially chase cam...

• Thread starter DonZonda
  • 105 comments
Lately we had alot of discussions regarding FOV and camera angles on the forum.

Many people request adjustable FOV and camera positions. I'm also one of them.
Furthermore we really need a hood/bonnet cam.
The FOV in GT is definitely too narrow for a single screen and kills the sense of speed and also your overall view. Some cars do have a hood cam with wider FOV, which makes the driving way more enjoyable. I took pictures to show that.

On the top you see the "bumper view" which is not really on the bumper but more on the windshield hight of the car. Anyways the second is from the Toyota Vitz Turbo. Camera is not mounted on the roof it's on the hood.
You clearly see a wider FOV, the sense of speed is increased in a good manner and the overall look of the track gets wider.

I really hope PD takes notes and changes something regarding those camera issues. Here my picture. I marked the FOV of the bumper view in red.

So you would basically like everyone to be forced to drive with the view you like? Sad really but then it would make sense to have an option where if you are the host that you could set this.

As for the Cockpit view I feel it is not realistic as I am setting to far from the windscreen and dash board and see to much of the interior directly in from of me. My wheel is at the normal distance from my body and the TV is another 3 feet or so in front of that and then on screen I see another wheel along with details of the dash that I would only see in a real car if I were to look down a bit.

I do like the wipers in the rain and snow and it surely makes it harder to see but to much of the view port is taken up by things that I do not want nor should be able to see while looking at the road ahead. If the camera was dash mounted I would use the interior view much more often but I surely would not want to be forced into a cockpit view in every race nor would most other drivers.

You can adjust your view with the zoom option. It will put the field of view closer to the windshield. You can further fine-tune the field of view by turning on the multiscreen option and playing with the angle between screens.

The distance you sit from your tv is your problem. Your room is not a cockpit, and it doesn't simulate a cockpit. Your room is static, it's always the same. Cockpits are not.

The reason cockpit view is the only realistic option is every car has a different amount of visibility. Some have a lot of visibility like open cockpit cars, some have terrible visibility like the Citroen GT. You cannot simulate this any other way than using cockpit view. If you use hood view, it's the same visibility in every car.Plus if it's raining you don't have the wipers to obstruct your view.

Not to mention, you're supposed to set up a sim rig in a way that you don't see the rest of your room. The optimal viewing distance from a TV is 3 times the height of the screen. That way your focus is on the screen, and not the "cockpit" AKA the room around you.

Even if you don't sit at the optimal viewing distance, you still shouldn't be seeing the rest of your room, and claiming that it's your cockpit

i do agree though, there definitely should be an option online to restrict the car views. rFactor, and all SMS games have the option.

No, it's not. You can't make a sweeping generalization like that. It makes no sense.

With that generalization, you're claiming the optimal distance at which one should be seated from a 60 inch screen is 7.5 feet. Hogwash. That means the field of view within the game would have to be adjusted 7.5 feet in front of the virtual car's seat. That means the cockpit view essentially becomes a bonnet/bumper view. Nonsense.

Ideally, you'd be as close as possible to your screen. Then, you'd adjust the field of view in the game (by utilizing the zoom and the multiscreen adjustability) to match the theoretical field of view you'd have through the screen into the virtual world - which depends solely on your distance to the screen and the size of the screen.

I don't know what you're trying to convey when you state that the room is static, since the room is irrelevant - the room is not part of the virtual world.

It is the car seat in the virtual world that is static. In some games/sims you can adjust it a bit, however, for all intents and purposes, the virtual car seat is restricted to a confined location, just as it is in real life. Likewise, since that is the location within which you are supposed to be seated, your body/head is also static.

The only adjustment you have in game is the location of the field of view. The only adjustment you have in real life is the location of the screen in front of you and its size (once you purchase a particular screen/tv/monitor, of course, it's size is a fixed quantity). Essentially, the goal is to match the in-game field of view so that it corresponds to the distance and size of the screen in front of you. That gives you the most faithful representation of what you would see if you were seated in a real car, instead of a virtual one.

Last edited:
I can't stand 3rd person chase cam. It always feels like the road is turning only, rather than the car itself. I don't recall GT 2 & 3 being this way but it's been a while.

I can't stand 3rd person chase cam. It always feels like the road is turning only, rather than the car itself. I don't recall GT 2 & 3 being this way but it's been a while.

Yes, the GT5 chase camera is much more fixed to the direction of the car than any of the previous GT games.

"Chase cam" sucks now and always has! 👎
When driving in real life, one does NOT hover in mid air 10 feet behind the bloody car!!! :crazy:

Excuse me? I don't know what sort of cars you drive, but I most certainly DO perform astral projection when I get behind the wheel.

It's a video game guys......choose what camera suits you best ;) First person is my preferred choice due how beautiful GT's dual guage looks like and you can take the corners much easier.

We all would like to chose camera views which suits us best. But they arent there!... I'm not much a fan of first person camera, because this way it makes no difference what car I drive, I don't see it anyways.
We really need adjustable views... Seat positions and FOV.

Can't be too hard.

If PD would just listen !!!!

Last edited:
I wonder why we don't get this view for the gameplay? Seriously... first of all you can see way more of the nice premium car and secondly when you look back you can actually see the rear of the car and not just nothing. I remember the GT5 Prologue Demo did have it when you looked back you could see the rear.
But they removed it... I prefer this way over the current roofcam because you only see a small part of the car. Still better would be a hood/bonnet cam though.

I wonder why we don't get this view for the gameplay? Seriously... first of all you can see way more of the nice premium car and secondly when you look back you can actually see the rear of the car and not just nothing. I remember the GT5 Prologue Demo did have it when you looked back you could see the rear.
But they removed it... I prefer this way over the current roofcam because you only see a small part of the car. Still better would be a hood/bonnet cam though.

Probably because it would be way too realistic. I mean, I always sit on the roof of my car when I drive, doesn't everyone? :sly: /snark

That's even worse than the current roof camera IMO. Creates an odd perspective and FOV. I just want a good old fashioned bonnet cam.

That's even worse than the current roof camera IMO. Creates an odd perspective and FOV. I just want a good old fashioned bonnet cam.

Absolutely. My ideal view would be about eye level, behind the windshield with the A pillars just out of view on the side. I seem to recall being able to have something like that in GTR years back.

I just don't get why it would be such a pain for PD to implement multiple view options to make everyone happy. If you like the rigid chase cam like GT5, fine. If you want one a little more dynamic like GT4 even, they should have that option. It's plain stupid they don't have these options.

I just don't get why it would be such a pain for PD to implement multiple view options to make everyone happy. If you like the rigid chase cam like GT5, fine. If you want one a little more dynamic like GT4 even, they should have that option. It's plain stupid they don't have these options.

fully agree, it can't be hard to implement those options. No way. :grumpy:

I agree. 👍

Back