Camera position tests

• Thread starter Falango
  • 57 comments
Canada
Vancouver, BC
Falango
These findings are as a result of the debate going on at this thread. I have used a 2007 Subaru STi that I built in 3D previously for the test. What I wanted to know was where are the cameras positioned EXACTLY. I have used 2 pictures taken of the demos seen in stores in the US. The pictures are not ideal for the test, but they are good enough. The grid you see in front of the car is there for ground plane purposes, to basically put the camera exactly where it should be in relation to the ground and the car. Here's what I found.

First test was the 'hood cam'.

wire_motul_1.jpg

STI_hood_cam.jpg

hood_cam_position.jpg

Second test is the 'roof cam'.

nascar_roof_cam.jpg

STI_roof_cam.jpg

roof_cam_position.jpg

I thought that the hood cam was too high to be a true hood cam. I thought it would have been placed a bit more forward based on what we've seen, but to do that, it would be pointing downward quite a bit to see as much of the hood as we see. I think the hood cam should be forward a bit, right in the windshield basically, down at, or a touch below drivers eye level. If it's too low, it will be too hard to get a sense for car position near walls and other cars. Too high, and well, we get what we have.

To be able to be even more accurate, if someone could provide me with the following, even from all camera views, I can recreate them all in perfect position with the exact focal lengths. I believe PD is using 35mm from my tests, but this will help me find this out for sure:

- Pictures of the screen from straight on, camera at the level of the TV
- Flat, straight section of track, pointing right down the middle
- Picture from each camera view

Big thanks to JDMKING13 for the pics!

-----------EDIT-----------

Alright, I went at it once more with the Stingray at Indy. I used it since it's proportions are closer to the Subaru STi model than the SLR or the 458. I think it proved something though. The roof cam matched pretty close to the one I had after using the Jeff Gordon stock car. The bumper cam is as follows:

bumper_cam.jpg

How did I figure this out? After positioning the roof cam in relation to the car, I was able to put down some quick geometry for the track, walls, and brick start/finish line. Once I had that in position, I could use a new camera that had the bumper cam picture projected, and move the camera until the geometry lined up perfectly with that. I moved some edges to line up with the dark lines down the track to make it easier. There you have it!

roof_cam_indy.jpg

bumper_cam_position.jpg

Last edited:
If PD could add a kind of adjustability to the cam like Rfactor,then everyone would be happy...

Btw good job you've done there..:)

Wow, nifty work! In any case, I rather like the position of that camera. It'll be my second choice, when cockpit cam is unavailable.

Thanks guys. It would be nice if we had an adjustable camera. Live For Speed does that by basically giving you X Y and Z sliders, as well as changing the field of view. If PD did this, with multi-monitor support, it would be very easy to setup a nice wide display.

I kind of curious to see what the height and position of the bumper cam is. Thanks to JDMKING13 for the pics. He's going to get me some more at Indy as well. Once I get some pics of say the front straight, I'll be able to determine exactly where the cameras are, and the exact focal lengths.

The bumper view and cockpit view are the same height to my knowledge. Just minus the cockpit.

I'm most curious about the forward position of the bumper cam though. Is it right on the bumper, or back a little bit? It would be nice to know the exact position.

I'm most curious about the forward position of the bumper cam though. Is it right on the bumper, or back a little bit? It would be nice to know the exact position.

Well one thing I know is if you hit something in bumper view there is a invisible wall so the camera lens doesn't hit what the car hits. I hope you find out I have always wondered that myself. Same height as cockpit but forward position to me it looks like center of the hood.

Last edited:
Ya that's why I wanna know too. Same happens if you are drafting a car. You hit him when you don't expect to.

I wouls like a hood view similar to GTAIV's. I think that would be perfect for standard cars. I really hope a good hood view is implemented as I have a feeling ill be spending most of my time in standard cars.

See what happens when you wait 5 years for GT5 Sony! People start doing things like this! :lol:

Thats good demostration of where the cameras are. Have you done one for the bumper camera?

Not yet but I will with those new pics from JDMKING13. I needed those pics the way he did them in order to do so. To determine the position of the bumper cam, I have to recreate part of the environment. I'll hopefully be able to do this tonight and get better results of the camera position.

FYI, the car was already modeled, lol. What you see was where it was at about halfway through the project. You can see the finished car here.

Cool.

You should source some car models that are available in the demos so that you can match them up exactly, rather than trying to fit the Subaru model with different cars.

Good work though.

So hood view is between Eye level and roof level.
And Roof cam is just a roof cam. Nice work.

Ya I can try that one as well. The road lines will really help with lining things up too, thank you. This view does look slightly lower to the ground than the GTR I tried with yesterday. I'll make sure I update the first post when I do the new tests.

Cool.

You should source some car models that are available in the demos so that you can match them up exactly, rather than trying to fit the Subaru model with different cars.

Good work though.

Only reason I used the Subaru model was because I had it on hand right away. Since this is just a quick test, I don't want to take the time to go source other car models. I am confident in the accuracy of the Subaru to the real car, so I think it will help give accurate results.

Alright, I went at it once more with the Stingray at Indy. I used it since it's proportions are closer to the Subaru STi model than the SLR or the 458. I think it proved something though. The roof cam matched pretty close to the one I had after using the Jeff Gordon stock car. The bumper cam is as follows:

bumper_cam.jpg

How did I figure this out? After positioning the roof cam in relation to the car, I was able to put down some quick geometry for the track, walls, and brick start/finish line. Once I had that in position, I could use a new camera that had the bumper cam picture projected, and move the camera until the geometry lined up perfectly with that. I moved some edges to line up with the dark lines down the track to make it easier. There you have it!

roof_cam_indy.jpg

bumper_cam_position.jpg

Not yet but I will with those new pics from JDMKING13. I needed those pics the way he did them in order to do so. To determine the position of the bumper cam, I have to recreate part of the environment. I'll hopefully be able to do this tonight and get better results of the camera position.

FYI, the car was already modeled, lol. What you see was where it was at about halfway through the project. You can see the finished car here.

Wow, bloody hell, you should work for PD or something! Some fantastic work there! 👍 :bowdown:

Thanks! I'd love to go work for PD. Maybe one day I can get a car reel going to show them more :D

Next project I had on deck was a 458 Italia Spider Scuderia. I had it started, and concepted a retractable hardtop with a friend. One day it will get finished, and I will post it. If the hardtop works properly, it will be animated and fully functional. Basically, the car would look like the regular 458 coupe with the top up, but very different with the roof down, including the engine cover being flat over the back, like the f430 spider. I'll probably start a thread here somewhere as it progresses!

Thanks! I'd love to go work for PD. Maybe one day I can get a car reel going to show them more :D

Next project I had on deck was a 458 Italia Spider Scuderia. I had it started, and concepted a retractable hardtop with a friend. One day it will get finished, and I will post it. If the hardtop works properly, it will be animated and fully functional. Basically, the car would look like the regular 458 coupe with the top up, but very different with the roof down, including the engine cover being flat over the back, like the f430 spider. I'll probably start a thread here somewhere as it progresses!

Haha, I say go for it! Not sure how easy Japanese is to learn though :P.

I'd love to see your Scuda when it's done too, you should definitely start a thread or something.

Also out of interest, how long does it take you to model these cars? Is it similar to the amount of time it takes PD (6-12 months) or a bit longer/shorter?

Sorry to venture slightly off topic.

Back