campaign generator

• Thread starter bowie
  • 66 comments
bow7
Hi,

GT PSP hasn't left my PSP since it came out. Since there is no campaign mode I have mostly been focusing on collecting cars and getting S rank on the tracks. But lately I have been looking for other ways to mix things up to keep it interesting. To that end I have started writing some JavaScript to generate some random events for me to complete. Eg:

event mode track
1 Drift Trial Suzuka Circuit
2 Time Trial Seattle Circuit
3 Time Trial Costa di Amalfi
4 Race 2 laps single manufacturer Suzuka Circuit West Course
5 Race 8 laps Suzuka Circuit
6 Race 4 laps Autumn Ring
7 Time Trial New York
8 Time Trial Suzuka Circuit
9 Drift Trial Test Course
10 Time Trial Cathedral Rocks Trail III

I was wondering two things. First, has anyone else done something similar and made it available to the community? Second, are people interested in me putting this somewhere public where they could use it?

http://www.kekke2000.be/random/gt4.exe

Picks a track & car for you.

source (also has a PSP version, but that only picks a track)

Cheers for that. I think I want to do a couple of things a bit differently. First, I want to be able to work with multiple events so that they could be connected somehow. Say an 'FR Cup' where you race FR cars on several different tracks. Also, I wanted it to be printer friendly so I can run off a copy of the event list and keep it with my psp. I mostly play when I am not near a computer.

This is what it looks like so far (this is how it looks under firefox):

If GoTham-R and psp88 PM me your email address, I will send you file in its current form while I look for somewhere convenient to put it. You can perhaps give me some suggestions on what would make for a good sequence of events or what doesn't work.

I like your Restriction idea for narrowing down what car you can choose to use.

You could add restrictions like Forza3 does where its "Asian MR only" or "2 door only" or "European nat. aspirated only", etc.

Seems like there is a bit of interest so might as well make it available. You can download the file from the following link. To the two guys I PM'ed earlier this link is a replacement for the one I sent you as it is a slightly newer version of the file and I have deleted the old one to avoid confusion.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/96274/gtpsp.html

@pl-destroy I'm still playing with the restrictions in terms of what is available. At the moment they are pretty basic as I'm trying to avoid generating restrictions that eliminate all cars. Also, I need to adjust the probabilities so that maybe they appear a little less often.

@Detroitbb Good idea. I've just put that in now. For the moment race events are always in.

@Powerdrift The .exe is the version someone else created. What I have been working is html so should work fine on Mac. Actually, if you wanted to check it out and confirm for me that would be good since I don't have a Mac.

@pl-destroy I'm still playing with the restrictions in terms of what is available. At the moment they are pretty basic as I'm trying to avoid generating restrictions that eliminate all cars. Also, I need to adjust the probabilities so that maybe they appear a little less often.

Perhaps having a secondary or even third car option choices for backup. If a player has no cars that fall under Restriction1, they move on to Restriction2, then to Restriction3.

I've made a few small revisions. Most interesting of which is a check box that enables forcing a single restriction across all events. Those who are interested can get it from the following link. For the moment the above link will work as well.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/96690/gtpsp_2.html

@pl-destroy I see what you are saying. It is just a little embarrassing if the program says 'FF and manufacturer RUF' and RUF doesn't have any FF cars at all (just an example I haven't double checked this). Fortunately though if the program does mess up the restrictions aren't binding just ignore them.

Currently the restrictions are: drivetrain, tyres, max horsepower, decade of release, any two of the preceding combined, and manufacturer. Anyone got any suggestions that would be easy to add and easy to find matching cars? I am thinking maybe tyres should be separate. Since it isn't really much of a restriction.

@Powerdrift Glad to hear that.

Would it be possible for someone with the latest build to upload it to another host? That site won't work for me... Rapidshare or Megaupload would be good choices.

Thanks!

I have put up a slightly revised version which is generates the events when you click a button on the page rather than by reloading it. As Chrome resets the form values each time you reload a page which means changes aren't carried over. So if you want to use this with Chrome you will want v3. From now on I will just put new releases onto the google site. So if you want newer versions check there. If you are happy with what you have, enjoy.

http://sites.google.com/site/gtpspcampaigngenerator/

The generator does pretty much what I want it to. If you have some suggestions, you can post them here and I might add them for you. Alternatively, if you know javascript the code is pretty simple and you could make the changes yourself. I would definitely be interested to see what you change though.

The name (Campaign Generator) makes me think of a presidential election lol. I think Race Generator or Career Generator would be a better name 💡. Other than that it's brilliant 👍. Thanks bowie :).

The name (Campaign Generator) makes me think of a presidential election lol.

Ha, that never crossed my mind. Maybe I'll change it when I do a new version. If it is annoying you, the html file you downloaded can be edited in notepad and you can change the text yourself.

Wow, thank you for this great tool! It gave me back the fun i initially had with GT PSP. I modified it so it also can restrict the weight and restrict to cars from specific countrys. Now there is only one thing that i would like to suggest for a future version. Is it possible to make it so you can put in a maximum and a minimum number of laps? I dont want to mess with the code all the time :)

Wow, thank you for this great tool! It gave me back the fun i initially had with GT PSP. I modified it so it also can restrict the weight and restrict to cars from specific countrys. Now there is only one thing that i would like to suggest for a future version. Is it possible to make it so you can put in a maximum and a minimum number of laps? I dont want to mess with the code all the time :)

Glad you have enjoyed it. If you post or maybe PM me the javascript functions for the weight and country restrictions, I will endeavour to incorporate your changes as well. Adding countries crossed my mind but I wasn't sure of the complete set of countries represented. Additionally, it would be helpful to know which country a manufacturer is associated so as to make it easier to find an appropriate car. Since you can't search by country.

I have added minimum laps for race events as well. Thanks for the suggestion. Check out v4 on the website.

I have posted another version, v6, to the website. I have revised the way countries are handled. I have made a complete list of the countries represented by manufacturers. I also went through and identified the country in which tracks are situated. Now sometimes when creating a restriction based on manufacturer country it will use the country of the track rather than pick one at random. For example for the Nurburgring you have to drive a German car. To make life easier I have included after the country name the list of manufacturers that are from that country.

In addition to the above changes. I have put the tyre restrictions in a separate column. This makes them easier to ignore. Which is what I tend to do.

Let me know if you think listing the manufacturers after the country is a waste of space. Or if I have gotten any of them wrong.

Back