campaign generator

• Thread starter bowie
  • 66 comments
I really like this idea but I can't get it to work. I'm probably being dim but when I try to genrate an event, nothing happens and it says 'error on page' in the bar at the bottom. What am I doing wrong?!?!!?

I have problems with the generator as well on one of my computers, but it's probably because of the ancient browser. Works great everywhere else and on my iPhone too.

I have a few suggestion to add to the next release. They are really minor, since the tool nears perfection :)

First, i think it would be great if you could exclude rally events. Okay, I could just pretend i had not seen em but it would be better if I could exclude them to begin with.

Next thing is typos. You made typos in Citta di Aria and Valencia Ricardo Tormo.

That is all, the rest is perfect

Got it working with firefox, great piece of work 👍

My suggestion for the next update if you are planning one is a button to export the events generated to word or excel so you can keep a record of them if you are playing over more than one session

Sometimes the restrictions chosen make little sense. For example, what does it mean when I get only "no tire restriction" as a restriction?

My suggestion is the ability to chose from different categories of restriction, such as tire, power, country, make, or year, and then randomly pick one out of each of the chosen variables for each criteria. Also, perhaps the ability to make one or more of the criteria the same throughout each randomized event, like all the same tire restriction but different power restrictions.

If this needs explanation, I would be happy to, as it seems a little confusing in words.

I have put up another version v7 on the website with some more additions. First, I adjusted the generation of events such as drive FF, FR, MR on Paris Opera. Second, dirt and snow are now able to be excluded. Check the box if you want to include them.

https://sites.google.com/site/gtpspcampaigngenerator/

Sometimes the restrictions chosen make little sense. For example, what does it mean when I get only "no tire restriction" as a restriction?

That should only come up for dirt and snow tracks where you don't get to choose your tyres. If it is coming up for other tracks, please let me know as that would be a bug.

My suggestion is the ability to chose from different categories of restriction, such as tire, power, country, make, or year, and then randomly pick one out of each of the chosen variables for each criteria. Also, perhaps the ability to make one or more of the criteria the same throughout each randomized event, like all the same tire restriction but different power restrictions.

I have added a button 'Progressive restrictions on same track'. Which is similar to what you suggested. It gives restrictions on the same variable (BHP, manufacturer, drivetrain...) but for the same track. I figured using the same track would emphasise the differences. But I am not sure if I like it. I might default to using different tracks and put in a box which forces the track to always be the same.

Got it working with firefox, great piece of work 👍

Good to hear. I use Firefox myself so it should be the browser this is most likely to work with.

My suggestion for the next update if you are planning one is a button to export the events generated to word or excel so you can keep a record of them if you are playing over more than one session

I do want to make it easier to save/reproduce results. It would be neat to make it easy for people to post events that were fun. However, for the moment you can always copy the table and paste it into a spreadsheet or some other file for safe keeping.

First, i think it would be great if you could exclude rally events. Okay, I could just pretend i had not seen em but it would be better if I could exclude them to begin with.

I assume by rally events you mean events on dirt and snow. This was pretty easy so it is in the new version.

Next thing is typos. You made typos in Citta di Aria and Valencia Ricardo Tormo.

I wrongly had de instead of di in Citta di Aria. Thanks. With Ricardo Tormo do you mean my use of Valenciana instead of Valencia? I double checked and that is the spelling they use in game. If you meant something else, can you be a bit more specific?

I personally would love it if you made a box to check if you wanted it restricted to a single car. =) =) =)

I will put this in the next version. It is not hard to do as the full car list was published online a while ago.

In V5 it says Ricardo Tomo without an R, dunno if it was fixed in V6 or 7. In Citta di Aria it also said Citti di Aria.
Thank you for the new release!

Is it possible to generate specific cars to be used?

I was thinking of a separate "generate" button specifically for the cars.
If I don't have the generated cars, then I can just click it until I get one that is in my garage.

Thanks!

I personally would love it if you made a box to check if you wanted it restricted to a single car. =) =) =)

I have put up a new version v8 which potentially includes restrictions which specify an exact make and model of car. Is this what you hand in mind? Or did you want all the restrictions to be exact car restrictions?

https://sites.google.com/site/gtpspcampaigngenerator/

Everybody else feel free to let me know if you think this works well for you or if it is frustrating because you don't have all the cars. I personally don't have all the cars but I figure if I get 'Ford Focus Rally Car ‘99' I probably have a Ford Focus if not I definitely have a Ford.

Is it possible to generate specific cars to be used?

I was thinking of a separate "generate" button specifically for the cars.
If I don't have the generated cars, then I can just click it until I get one that is in my garage.

I have also added a 'Suggest a car' button which pops up an alert window with a car from the car list in it. It works for me with Firefox but you might have to set your browser to permit popups. Is this what you had in mind?

Last edited:
I have also added a 'Suggest a car' button which pops up an alert window with a car from the car list in it. It works for me with Firefox but you might have to set your browser to permit popups. Is this what you had in mind?

I like it!
That's what I definitely had in mind.
Thanks!

But whats with the unreadable characters (Nissan SKYLINE GT-R M・spec Nür (R34) ‘02)?

Ooops... one more idea came up.
Is it possible to list X number of cars so we don't have to keep clicking if we don't have the suggested car?

Thanks again.
Great job.

But whats with the unreadable characters (Nissan SKYLINE GT-R M・spec Nür (R34) ‘02)?

Ooops... one more idea came up.
Is it possible to list X number of cars so we don't have to keep clicking if we don't have the suggested car?

The unreadable characters were a bit of a surprise to me as they worked fine under Firefox on Linux. They are characters like the u with an accent in the proper spelling of Nurburgring. I've taken them out with apologies those whose languages I have butchered.

I haven't quite done what you mentioned. I have put the suggested car in the page instead. Which means it will be easier to click through until you find what you are looking for. Since you can keep the mouse over the suggest button (and the car should appear quicker too).

These changes are in v9 on the website.

http://sites.google.com/site/gtpspcampaigngenerator/

I have put a new version, v10, on the website. This version adds a button for reproducing event series. Now, every time you generate an event series there will be a code number printed at the bottom of the series. If you enter this code into the box next to Reproduce and then click Reproduce, you will get the exact same series. One detail, however, you have to have the options set exactly the same. So I have printed these next to the code. If you enter for example 1194223724 and set options to 6 events, min laps 4, max laps 4, Independent restrictions across events, you should get:

event mode track tyres restriction
1 Race 4 laps single manufacturer Beginner Course Reverse N tyres drivetrain MR
2 Race 4 laps Tsukuba Circuit N tyres max 1000 Kg
3 Race 4 laps Citta di Aria Reverse R tyres manufacturer from Germany (Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Opel, RUF, Volkswagen)
4 Race 4 laps single manufacturer Test Course N tyres drivetrain RR
5 Race 4 laps Trial Mountain Circuit N tyres max 450 BHP
6 Race 4 laps single manufacturer Grand Valley Speedway Reverse N tyres drivetrain RR

I thought this might help if people want to share event series that they thought were especially good.

Differences between computers and browsers may stuff this up. But so far it seems to work. If it does not, let me know which browser and os you are using.

This will probably be the last update for a while. I have gotten pretty happy with the event generator. So unless people come up with some suggestions for improvements I will probably leave it for a while.

Big 👍. This is just getting better and better. Thanks again, bowie :).

Just curious though, why didn't you upload v1?

Big 👍. This is just getting better and better. Thanks again, bowie :).

Just curious though, why didn't you upload v1?

I am pleased to hear you are enjoying it.

As for v1, I was originally looking around for a place to host the html code. However, nowhere lets you put up html with javascript. So I put up v1 on a file sharing website. But some people had some problems downloading from the site. Then I found google sites and switched to using it. I just never got around to posting it because each version should be better than the previous versions.

@WesWelker83 If people like this idea, I just realised what I could do is print the BBCode so that people could copy and paste into a comment and get nice formatting. Which would look a lot nicer than my post above.

Which is what I have just done with v11. There is a check box that when checked makes the event series come up with BBCode markers instead of being formatted as using html. This means if you want to post a comment with an event series it will look like the following. Unfortunately, I couldn't use tables for layout as they are disabled on GT Planet. But using lists should be the next best thing.

• Event 1
    • Race 3 laps single manufacturer
    • Autumn Ring Reverse
    • N tyres
    • manufacturer Mercedes-Benz
  • Event 2
    • Race 1 laps
    • New York
    • R tyres
    • released in 1990s
  • Event 3
    • Race 5 laps
    • Suzuka Circuit West Course
    • N tyres
    • unrestricted
  • Event 4
    • Race 2 laps single manufacturer
    • New York
    • N tyres
    • unrestricted
  • Event 5
    • Race 1 laps single manufacturer
    • Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo
    • R tyres
    • max 400 BHP
Reproduce with 1908495456, 5 events, min laps 1, max laps 5, Independent restrictions across events

Last edited:
Taffey's leader boards thread gave me an idea for the drift trial events. What I have in mind is to take the highest score and set gold, silver and bronze targest based on it. I figure that I will set gold at 90%, silver at 75% and bronze at 50%. If the highest score is say 5000, that would make gold 4500, silver 3750 and bronze 2500.

I have also decided to not print restrictions for the drift trial events. Since the restrictions won't necessarily let you choose a competitive drifting car.

If people have an opinion on this, feel free to let me know what you think.

I have finished most of the programming necessary for this. I still need high scores for every track though. It would be a help to me if people set some decent scores for tracks that don't yet have a score.

I love this idea. Well, of course I would. :)

The 90% for gold seems about right to me. Some of the tracks have top scores that are way off the charts, such as Ice Arena and Tahiti Maze, so a little tweaking will need to be done.

Aside from that I'm really looking forward to the collaborative effort and the next version of your event generator. 👍

I am pleased to hear you are enjoying it.

As for v1, I was originally looking around for a place to host the html code. However, nowhere lets you put up html with javascript. So I put up v1 on a file sharing website. But some people had some problems downloading from the site. Then I found google sites and switched to using it. I just never got around to posting it because each version should be better than the previous versions.

Yeah, since I've finished my car collection, I've got nothing else to do on GTPSP. Your generator greatly increases the replayability of this game :D.

Thanks for the explanation about v1.

Taffey's leader boards thread gave me an idea for the drift trial events. What I have in mind is to take the highest score and set gold, silver and bronze targest based on it. I figure that I will set gold at 90%, silver at 75% and bronze at 50%. If the highest score is say 5000, that would make gold 4500, silver 3750 and bronze 2500.

I have also decided to not print restrictions for the drift trial events. Since the restrictions won't necessarily let you choose a competitive drifting car.

If people have an opinion on this, feel free to let me know what you think.

I have finished most of the programming necessary for this. I still need high scores for every track though. It would be a help to me if people set some decent scores for tracks that don't yet have a score.

Unfortunately I'm not a good drifter, but that's still a very good idea 👍. At least it would motivate me to become better lol.

Hey bowie-

I think we've just about got all the tracks represented in the drifting leaderboards now. We don't have forward and reverse for every track, but the scores should be comparable regardless of direction. It's also worth noting that you cannot select drift trial events for either the test track or Twin Ring Motegi Speedway.

I've also started tracking the top drift cars based on posted stats. I'm not sure if that's anything you could really use, but the information is available. Speaking of information, I'd be happy to send you a copy of my spreadsheet for data mining purposes if you like.

Hey bowie-

I think we've just about got all the tracks represented in the drifting leaderboards now. We don't have forward and reverse for every track, but the scores should be comparable regardless of direction. It's also worth noting that you cannot select drift trial events for either the test track or Twin Ring Motegi Speedway.

I've also started tracking the top drift cars based on posted stats. I'm not sure if that's anything you could really use, but the information is available. Speaking of information, I'd be happy to send you a copy of my spreadsheet for data mining purposes if you like.

I will think about what I can do with the cars. For the moment though, would you be able to extract just the name and the highest score for each track as a pair of columns. The format for the data in Javascript is:

var drift_high_score = {
'Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo' : 15468,
'Infineon Raceway: Sports Car Course' : 12266,
'Laguna Seca Raceway' : 10869,
'Nurburgring' : 43839 ,
'Suzuka Circuit East Course' : 15701,
'Suzuka Circuit West Course' : 10122,
};

But if you were to give me a comma separate values (csv) file which looked like:

Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo,15468
Infineon Raceway: Sports Car Course,12266
Laguna Seca Raceway, 10869
Nurburgring, 43839
Suzuka Circuit East Course, 15701
Suzuka Circuit West Course, 10122

That would be really easy to work with. You could probably just post it as a comment in this thread if you like. I will pm you my email address if you find that easier.

oh is this for drifting or just racing? I suck at drifting but I'll still do it for ***** n gigs

What Taffey and I have been talking about is just for drifting. I could do something similar for races and time trials if I had a list of fast times for each track. I think it is less important for racing because the game provides AI opponents and difficulty settings but it could work well for time trials. The tricky part is getting good quality results for each track. If I have that, adding target times is easy. After we are done with the drifting I might look at what data is coming out of the time attack challenges.

CSV is easy - done! And thanks, I got your PM. Posting it here is as easy as anything though, so I'll just do that. :) Here you go:

Let me know if you need me to do anything differently with the format (i.e., forward vs. reverse) and I can take care of it quickly.

Apricot Hill Raceway (forward),11355
Autumn Ring (forward),11829
Autumn Ring (reverse),13087
Autumn Ring Mini (forward),7228
Beginner Course (forward),7238
Beginner Course (reverse),5052
Cathedral Rocks Trail I (forward),14157
Cathedral Rocks Trail II (forward),16028
Cathedral Rocks Trail III (forward),8108
Cathedral Rocks Trail III (reverse),6060
Chamonix (forward),31531
Chamonix (reverse),33899
Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo,17340
Circuit de la Sarthe Old,16115
Citta di Aria (forward),8594
Citta di Aria (reverse),9244
Costa di Amalfi (forward),16308
Costa di Amalfi (reverse),13992
Côte d'Azur (forward),11352
Deep Forest Raceway (forward),10743
El Capitan (forward),14254
Fuji Speedway 2005,12320
Fuji Speedway 90's,10163
Grand Canyon (forward),32425
Grand Canyon (reverse),32838
Grand Valley East (forward),8348
Grand Valley Speedway (forward),17258
High Speed Ring (forward),10836
High Speed Ring (reverse),7731
Ice Arena (forward),20523
Ice Arena (reverse),21667
Infineon Raceway – Sports Car Course,14580
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca,14196
Mid-Field Raceway (forward),12255
Motorland (forward),13873
Motorland (reverse),9632
New York (forward),15053
New York (reverse),12646
Nürburgring Nordschleife,45484
Opera Paris (forward),12896
Opera Paris (reverse),12876
Seattle Circuit (forward),14097
Seoul Central (forward),9064
Seoul Central (reverse),11368
Suzuka Circuit ,21482
Suzuka Circuit East Course,15701
Suzuka Circuit West Course,10122
Swiss Alps (forward),11539
Tahiti Maze (forward),40464
Tahiti Maze (reverse),43311
Tokyo Route 246 (forward),17657
Tokyo Route 246 (reverse),16715
Trial Mountain Circuit (forward),14661
Trial Mountain Circuit (reverse),12386
Tsukuba Circuit,12092
Twin Ring Motegi - Road Course,19658
Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course,12245
Twin Ring Motegi West Short Course,9273

CSV is easy - done! And thanks, I got your PM. Posting it here is as easy as anything though, so I'll just do that. :) Here you go:

Let me know if you need me to do anything differently with the format (i.e., forward vs. reverse) and I can take care of it quickly.

That is perfect. Thanks for that. I have put up a new version, v12, on the website which incorporates these scores. I have used the highest score and set gold at 90%, silver at 75% and bronze at 50%. Feedback on the appropriateness of these would be appreciated once people have tried it out. Depending on the feedback I could tweak these percentages or maybe make it possible for people to control them manually. I have also removed the drift trial car restrictions because I didn't feel that they contributed to the enjoyment of the events generated.

Last edited:
Awesome - I'll check out v12 now. Some of those high scores are so-so, and others are very high indeed, so some tweaking will most likely be in order. I'll let you know what I think after a few run-throughs. :)

Back