Can anyone suggest something new for me to do on GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hig-GT
  • 77 comments
  • 4,816 views
Messages
1,096
Messages
Higz7
A-Spec - I am level 32 and have completed the Nurburgring 4-Hour Endurance. That is the last endurance for me now (until there is a save function) as I refuse to do the 9 & 24 Hour Endurances.

B-Spec - I am level 30 in that and I am running Suzuka now, after that I just have the Nurburgring 4-Hour Endurance and then B-Spec is in the same situation as A-Spec.

Licenses - I have 60 Golds as I have run through them again, so they are completed.

Online - Bored of it now, everyone seems to want to restrict this that or the other and most of the time it makes for a dull race. It is ok ocassionally but most of the time, bit dull (even when winning!).

Specials - I have no interest in doing any of these challenges, I am doing the AMG school atm, first three races complete with three golds but I am already bored of that.

Practice - Can't really be bothered with that, see no point in running around the Nurburgring (or any other track) and not getting any credits / XP for it.

Seasonal Events - Too easy atm ... Not a challenge.

Races - I have gone over a couple of the sections (Beginner, Amateur, Pro etc.) and done the races with comfort / sports tyres with cars that are as matched as possible but I'm still winning them and I've got bored of that aswell.


What have you guys done to either pro-long GT5 or to make it more of a challenge? Should I persevere with the AMG Academy? I literally have no idea what I could do next so any opinions I'd appreciate! I just hope GT5 doesn't turn into the car collecting game that I once used to love playing!)

(I'm playing with a DS3 btw, so I'm hoping my only option to extend this game isn't the option to buy a wheel lol!)
 
My advice, from a similar experience of GT4, play something else and come back to GT5 later on in the year. The special events aren't that special, AMG aside.

If car collecting isn't your thing or just going for casual drives then not much for you to do!
 
My advice, from a similar experience of GT4, play something else and come back to GT5 later on in the year. The special events aren't that special, AMG aside.

If car collecting isn't your thing or just going for casual drives then not much for you to do!

Ah.. I was just going to suggest car collecting. I alway make sure I have one specific car to look out for on the UCD or to save up for in the OCD/NCD.
 
When I am bored of GT5 I play some online GTA 4, it always makes laugh when I blow someone's car, I remember when there was I and another dude in the aiport pulling stunts, and them some dude shows up, takes a helicopter and starts shooting at your Infernus, he blew his helicopter and when he was on foot we ran over him countless times, more because in GTA4 you can set the strength of the character, so it took several times to kill him, sometimes he couldn't even lift up and we would send him flying again, he even managed to take another helicopter, but I took one aswell and made him fall, I remember I was almost dying of laughter, had water coming from my eyes lol.
Then I put GT5 again and enjoy a car I've never driven through the Green Hell.
 
Seasonal events can be challenging if you don't upgrade your car much at all.

Other than that, find a racing league online, or one of the hot lap challenges that are going on at the moment.

Personally I have a lot of fun just driving gift cars I haven't tried yet, or just trying to beat my lap times in practice. Trying to get better at tuning as well.

If you're really that bored then swap discs with a different game and come back later.
 
oh dear swap discs, I played Metal Gear Solid 4:Guns of the Patriots for about 8 months straight without getting bored, GT5 I'm bored after just under two months lol! Maybe I can go back to Formula 1:2010 for a bit, race that good old Lotus lol!

Brambos ... The car collecting is ok, it is just the grinding part to earn money and then go buy cars, grind, buy cars. Just gets repetative, I have over 300 cars now and thats just got boring unfortunately. Plus, at 300 you have a decent variety so you have a car for online event possible lol!

(I've been so bored I've even done Sunday Cup with my Citroen CV lol!)
 
oh dear swap discs, I played Metal Gear Solid 4:Guns of the Patriots for about 8 months straight without getting bored, GT5 I'm bored after just under two months lol! Maybe I can go back to Formula 1:2010 for a bit, race that good old Lotus lol!

Now hearing that you played MGS4, have you tried getting the Big Boss Emblem? Maybe that can kill your time.
 
I tried for the Big Boss Emblem but couldn't get the time.

I did get the third highest award though so I was happy with that lol! :P
 
I tried for the Big Boss Emblem but couldn't get the time.

I did get the third highest award though so I was happy with that lol! :P

Not trying to say I am better, but damn I enjoyed getting the emblem, maybe you could try it one more time. :)
 
I'm in the same place as you. Lvl 32A and 31B. When I hit lvl 40 on B spec I'll just go online and do touring car races while a vegg out in an easy chair. ;)
 
Not trying to say I am better, but damn I enjoyed getting the emblem, maybe you could try it one more time. :)

Tbh mate, I am hugely bored of MGS4 and I really can't do the game again to that level of seriousness as I hate playing that way.

Of the whole game I only enjoyed certain parts of it, such as the bit on the ship (before you go inside), the rex vs ray fight, the street bit right at the beginning, and the open field bit where the militia are trying to cut the power. The bits inbetween I don't want to do lol! :P
 
You say everything is too easy, but the first 3 seasonal events are made a challenge to gold by running stock cars with stock or worse tyres. You have to impose your own restrictions on yourself to make it fun.

Like the Ferrari challenge in Professional, good fun with a 512BB with sports soft (Monza 3 laps).
 
Use crappier cars for the races, don't use any driving aids (if you are), or find a new game. I found the Special Events kind of fun, don't know why you have no interest. Go online and start your own rooms if you don't like the restrictions people put on. How can you say its dull if the restrictions make it more competitive so that people can run certain types of cars and not get whacked by an X2010?

As for MGS4, I beat that game once and sold it (MGS online was ok for a while but too many super skilled players, I'm just not that good). After sitting through a 2 hour cutscene at 12 AM when I had to get up for work the next day... it was a great experience, but I'm glad its over.
 
Why do people buy racing games and then complain that all there is to do is drive cars around tracks? The beauty of the GT series is that you can do whatever you want with it, you don't just have to do the A-spec/career part.

Example: We got a lot of snow here recently and I've had fun driving my Subaru around in it. So when I get home from a snowy drive I jump on GT5 and go randomly drive around on a snow track and see how it feels compared to my car. (FYI, it's pretty much spot on!). Then I go to the track creator and build a snowy track with turns and such that will provide lots of fun sliding, also give it some sections that allow me to practice my Scandinavian Flick.

I'm also in a GT Karting league run through this board, so I spend a lot of time during the week learning whatever track the next race is on, figuring out where the best lines are and where the worst bumps are. Then I'll go online and create a room with that track so I can get some "real-time" practice in against real people under full race conditions.

Do I get any Credits or XP for this stuff? Aside from the very small winnings from the online races, no I don't.

Do I have a lot of fun doing all this stuff and lose myself for hours and hours into the game? You bet your a$$ I do! I have more fun doing all this "extracurricular" stuff than I do running A-Spec events!

If you're bored with GT5, you're not creative enough or just don't enjoy driving/racing enough.
 
Ive done the crappier cars things crappier tyres, it just gets dull cos you are going even slower. I'm doing the seasonal events now but there is only five every so often lol, not loads to keep you entertained really is it!

I love driving, and hugely enjoy it! As for the racing ... Well, there isn't much in GT5 unfortunately.

To add .... Just won Nurburgring Seasonal Event ... Standard Golf ... Easily won ... Still a dull "race"

Btw, I'm not obsessed / hooked on GT5 like some of you seem to be (the fact it is a game is the reason why) so please consider that before passing judgement on my 'creativeness'
 
Last edited:
1) Lap the 'Ring in reverse.
2) Play Black Ops online.
3) Work on real car.
 
try winning as many races as you can backwards in the redbull x2010 or look for a new game maybe
 
1) Lap the 'Ring in reverse.
2) Play Black Ops online.
3) Work on real car.

I have been around the ring in reverse actually lol! Twice lol!

Black Ops would be dull, never liked COD really.

I have a real car and do do work on that so anymore suggestions?

As for the X2010 in reverse idea ... noooo lol :P
 
I am watching/reading this because I am sort of in a similar place.
I have not made it beyond lvl 28 A-spec and 25 B-spec yet...but i am getting closer, and since i already have what some refer to as the Holy grail car(X2010) all i really have to look forward to is the Vettel challenges...and that's it.

endurance races?...no thanks. Not until PAUSE comes to play.

one thing i might start doing is taking cars out for photo shoots and replay theater shots.
My own tracks i made in the track creator have allowed me to take certain cars i have collected, and adjust the time/lighting and take some epic shots.
it's not rewarding...just a time killer.

sometimes it's best to NOT race, and just go play with the cars.

collecting is good. I have cars that most people had no interest in, and then when they race against me online, they ask me 'where did you get that?'

it's fun for a while.

good luck. hopefully the seasonal events will begin to update more frequently so those who have apex-ed in the game wont lose interest.

it's been out just shy of 2 months, and already people have plateaued.

sad
 
Bored of an eagerly awaited game after two months exactly ... sorry, how long did they develop this?
 
What settings do you play on? Just wondering. You talk about how everything is so easy and you get all golds on everything ... it makes me assume you are using lots of driving aids. Also, saying that low HP races aren't good tells me you are used to just running away with the lead on everything ... likely due to the driving aids.

It sounds to me like you need to restrict yourself for more of a challenge. Go online and don't use the ideal car for a room, or join rooms that don't cater to your specific way to play. Try doing time trials at the Top Gear track and compare yourself to Stiggy. Drive the F40 around the 'Ring with no aids and sport tires.

And, if I'm wrong and you're not using driving aids, then you are probably the best driver on GT5 and should go join a race team.
 
First of all, I don't use any driving aids except ABS. I can drive without ABS but I find that I am not as fast as I am when I do use it.

First time through I golded every race first time using cars that where faster than the competition, better tyres etc. I'll admit. But since I have been back through using only comfort tyres and sports tyres and I played the same record through amateur and beginner, using cars that where as matched as I could do without buying new cars.

I have done the licenses which 90% where pretty easy if you put a couple of trys into it. 10% where a pain to do but I did them

I'm not interested in doing time trials against the stig ... Doesn't really mean much and it is a game so has no bearing, I'd rather race him in real life.

I have tried to make GT5 into a challenge but, for example, when racing A-Spec I have never had any other car make a racing move against me, they have never blocked the inside line and they have never tried to overtake me down the inside, even if given the opportunity, theres just no racing in it.
 
Then your efforts are better spent elsewhere. Give up on GT5, or find a way to enjoy the online content.
 
Honestly I just can't see this game (or any good racing game) being anywhere near as fun using a controller instead of a wheel. Sure, the AI aren't the best racers around, but I don't think you can ever feel like you're really "racing" using a joystick and buttons. If I didn't have my DFGT and G27 I probably wouldn't have much fun with this game either, but then I also wouldn't have bought it. Sliding around on snowy tracks or trying to beat the Stig's lap times with a joystick would provide no satisfaction whatsoever, but when you're doing it with a quality wheel, well I can't even begin to describe the satisfaction achieved from this game.

I guess the best thing to do would be to visit redtube and play with a different kind of joystick. Seriously, that's a lot of fun and never gets boring!! lol
 
Tbh ... I have debated getting a wheel but there are none in stock anywhere.

But the more I think about it, I can't really justify to myself spending £80+ on a steering wheel, for what it will add ... i mean ... i don't think it will make me any faster, well, not £80's worth of faster anyway ... and i don't really think i'll enjoy it that much more, because i'll still be doing everything that I was doing with the controller that I am already bored of ...

Also, the reason I mention the AI so much is because I know for definate that it is just not as good as it could be, when I'm on F1:2010 if you have a faster car behind you you constantly have to defend as the AI will try and go down the inside of you and they will also try going around the outside of you.

Also, if you overtake the AI on a straight, they will immediately pull into your slipstream and try and overtake you again, they'll also have wheel to wheel fights with you, I don't need to go online for F1:2010. On GT5 the AI just let you go past and then wait and decide whether or not they'll bother trying to draft you, half the time they'll just sit there. And then when they have an opportunity to overtake you they'll just brake and stay behind you.

Oh and F1:2010 has 20+ cars where-as GT5 has only 12 is it? Why can't the AI better, there is no reason why the AI can't be better, I'd rather have great racing instead of having the steering wheel perfectly stitched ... More content less OCD detailing!
 
I have to explain, as soon as I heard about GT5 I really looked forward to it ... I missed GT4, don't know how but it passed me by ... GT3 took me so much longer than this is taking, for example, I never completed that FF challenge that was on GT3!

So I had a long wait for GT action, and now after years of waiting, it is over in two months, surely you can see why I'm disappointed with GT5 and now you can all see why I have started this thread. Or should I just treat this as Gran Turismo 6 Prologue and proceed to wait again? :P

(Please noone suggest go and complete GT3! :P)
 
Well, GT5 has 16 cars on track at a time (not 12), which should be plenty.

I have taken what appears to be a unique stance about the AI in GT5. Remember, GT bills itself as "The real driving simulator", so when I'm racing against it's AI I imagine them being like normal, real people you encounter on a daily basis when driving IRL. Most people (in my country at least) are rather horrible drivers and I encounter mass stupidity every time I drive with them. Just like the AI in GT5!! I have F1:2010 as well, and you're correct about how the AI in that game behaves, but they are modeled after the world's greatest drivers (arguably) so they will know how to slip stream and out-brake you into a turn. The AI in GT5 are more like real people, and most real people wouldn't know what an apex was if they were standing on it and would look at you like :crazy: when you talk about weight transfer.

I think you are wrong in your feelings about using a wheel, but you've never used one so you don't know what you're missing. As long as you have one of the top shelf wheels (DFGT, G25/27, Fanatec) it will absolutely added that much enjoyment to your gaming, especially if you really enjoy cars and driving them. Most people seem to take a while to adjust to a wheel, so if you do get the chance to experience one, don't let your first impression fool you. It will feel totally foreign to you after using the DS3, but once you unlearn the bad DS3 habits it feels totally natural.........and real!!

I think I would highly recommend finding an online series to join, there are several organized through this site and they contain good drivers and not the immature idiots you run into in public lobbies. By having a scheduled race every week (or whenever) then you will be gaining something by doing time trials and trying different setups on your car, because you'll be preparing for the league race!! I was just starting to kind lose focus on the game before I joined the karting league, I got to the point where the only events I had available would take a good 2-3 hours of playing to finish and I normally don't have that much time in one sitting. But now, everyday when I get home from work I fire up GT5 and take my kart to whichever track is next on the schedule and practice, practice, practice!! And all day at work I look forward to doing that!
 
I'm sorry but I have to dis-agree with your interpretation of the AI.

For example, the DTM ... there are ex F1 drivers in DTM who know how to slipstream!

Also, the "extreme" series, you're not telling me the AI couldn't have been better so that racing the races in that section would have been, well, more extreme ...

General racing does not have your everyday plebs in it who drive around in fiestas and micras, race drivers are race drivers who understand how to race ... So GT5 should reflect that instead of being watered down so much that people, who aren't that good, can get further with it.

Btw, I've just checked and I only have 12 other cars in my races. The reason I mentioned twenty odd cars in F1, is because F1:2010 manages to control all of them easily whilst still providing racing, where-as GT5 can't even control 12 properly never mind get one of them to race you

I don't really want to join a race series as all of the ones I am seeing all race etc. when I can't get onto me PS3, typically!

I did use one when I went to Silverstone for the Formula 1, they had a set up in the BMW section and I actually drove fine on it, not as quick but it felt quite normal racing the BMW Concept 1-Series so maybe I will get a wheel, might just cross my fingers and hope I can stumble across a bargain!

(The 8 year old who wanted a go on the game wasnt too chuffed waiting like lol! :P)
 
I wasn't trying to say the AI is that way as a fact, I was just saying that's how I've decided to look at it to make them a little more sufferable. I've learned through life that if I can change my view on something I can deal with it differently, and sometimes find it more acceptable. I do wish the AI was better than it is, but whenever I have to deal with them it makes me feel like I'm on public roads in real life, so that's the perspective I take, and to me it makes things more enjoyable because I can laugh at them.

The AI on F1:2010 is way more dynamic, but the physics pale in comparison and I guess that's what I care most about. Since I have a G27, I want to FEEL like I'm driving a real car (as close as is possible in my living room anyway) and when I play F1 I kinda feel more like I'm playing the old Cruisin' USA arcade game. Sure, it was loads of fun and I probably pumped over $100 of quarters into that game over the years, but I never really felt like I was driving a real car. With my G27/rig and GT5, it's very easy to let myself get immersed in it to the point that I am shaking, tembling and sweating after a good race. I had a one-on-one kart race against a guy online the other night at Autumn Ring for 5 laps. We were bumper-to-bumper or side-by-side during the first 3 laps, until I hit a bump and spun out. Luckily I didn't lose too much ground and spent the next 2 laps driving like a man possessed, I caught him going into the loop-de-loop and was able to pass him for the win in the second-to-last corner for the victory. My arms were shaking so bad and my heart was pounding soooooo hard and fast that I seriously thought I might pass out or have a small heart-attack. It was simply thrilling, and I will NEVER get bored of that!!
 
Mate ... Sorry to say it ... But you are taking this game WAY too seriously! Thats just worrying that you are reporting that back from a game! Sure, I've had a couple of close races online, I had one online yesterday, last lap on Monza (Me in ZR-1 RM, other guy in Ford GT LM Test Car) coming to that left right left section before the back straight, he drafted me, I blocked, I pulled to the right with a plan, the Ford came up the inside, so I figured I'd catch him out, I slammed the brakes on early, so the Ford did, and then he realised he was braking early, so he let off, then outbraked himself, I cut under him and hit the apex, we accelerated and we where side by side, he nearly pushed me off but I held around the outside and obviously took the inside on the left, he then dropped it on the curb and slammed into the wall trying to keep up. Heart rate = Slightly elevated yes, but I wasn't about to keel over with excitement ...
 
Last edited:
Back