CAN GT6 be used as an aid in choosing its users next real car?

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 96 comments

Which PREMIUM GT6 vehicle for 60, 000Cr. would you choose as your next real car?

• LAND ROVER

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • CHARGER SRT8

Votes: 13 6.6%
  • SKYLINE/INFINITI COUPE

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • GOLF R

Votes: 13 6.6%
  • MUSTANG V8

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • FOCUS ST

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • OTHER

Votes: 72 36.7%
  • THE CAR I WOULD CHOOSE, IS NOT IN GRAN TURISMO(YET)

Votes: 36 18.4%

• Total voters
I don't think GT would be a good tool for comparing cars. If you're in the market then you can testdrive the real thing.
Best thing I can say for GT it is that it hasn't put me off GT-R's depite its best efforts of over exposing them.

While I would love to have a Subaru BRZ, I'd like to have the one I have in GT6. The "Kinda-sorta STi" version that I have may be a slightly modded car that has more on the outside that underneath, I still want it...

Of course I want an LFA, but the power of believing still isn't powerful enough.

charger/mustang for raw power
or just get a beamer/skyline for refinement

the others which are fwd are automatically disqualified.

awd is nice but i am not sure you need awd down under.

Merc A250 Sport ($50k) ... 165kw
9UZfvX6.jpg

Volvo v40 T5 R design. ($50k)... 2.5-litre 5Cyl turbo (187kw) hatchback.
K0Mhf58.jpg

Im sure there are many people that didnt know of WRXs, GT-Rs and Evos until they bought GT. probably didnt get to drive one until they bought the game. Seeing how quick they were in the game surely put the drive in some people to go and get one for their own. Kids new to GT wont even get to drive an E92 M3 but, sampling one in GT may get them to want to own one someday.

If you're as old as me(43), all we had to go on was car magazines back then. Dreams of seeing and imagining what it would be like to own a cool car.

Only 2 cars I test drove before I bought them were, an '02 Si and the Megane. I was going to buy an '02 Si but, I knew Honda were going to do an update in 2 years as they normally do. I figured I'd wait and sure enough, they changed the lights and moved from 4-lugs to 5-lugs in '04. Thing is, I was already going to buy it even if I had not test driven the Si. The Megane was a story of which one. The 8:08 just came out after the RB Edition. The Trophy+ has glass roof, Sat Nav, 19" wheels and the Cup has Recaros and black 18s. We went for all the extras. Simple as that.

I think that a Golf R/R32 would be the best every day car, and by the way with the least loss of value.

Viper, Viper, Viper.

Or an E36 M3 which unfortunately not in the game.

However, I think it's pointless, because as many have said, GT won't give you the feel that the car will in real life.

Sounds like you and your wife know enough about cars that using GT as a test platform seems a little odd. Other than showing someone the general shape of a car, and maybe the colour list, I certainly wouldn't let a video game sway my purchase decision one way or the other.

I agree that, as someone who grew up on video games, a lot of my "first time exposure" to dozens of different models (even a few manufacturers) came from video games. But I'd be hard pressed to say that exposure was enough to flat out make me want to buy one of those cars in real life. At most, it maybe led me to want to learn more about certain cars that I liked in the games....but actual, real world appreciation and respect, for any car, comes from its actual, real world success and accolades - for me at least.

Good luck with the new ride :)

True story I let my wife (not a gamer) check out the Evoque in all its different colors on GT6 before we went to the dealer to test drive one.

NSX Type R '02 (ish - just about any NSX really) :D

I was planning on buying a yellow C3 'Vette, but after GM's true (greedy) colors show through regarding the Cobalt ignition issue, I'll never buy a GM car.

Jerome

I'd get the new VW golf (r400 something??) which will swamp both of those cars..
A WRX swamps them too, but it's not all about 0-100. And some people don't care about handling other than that it is not a boat. There's styling and build quality to consider. The A250 has one of the most gorgeous interior in the world.

back in the old time, gran turismo 2 helped me to pick a few car on my list
subaru impreza wrx sti, lancia delta integrale and peugeot 306 S16
after some digital and then real test drive, i had to draw back on the peugeot because of taxes and insurrance cost

some cars have realistic digital experience compared to the real ones
but for some ... i'm sure it's not
and if i was the manufacturer of those cars, i had told PD to take all my cars off GT6

My other dream car of course with the Mazda rx7 Fc which is :
The Skyline GTR R32 A.K.A GODZILLA of course, cost around £8,000 here in the Uk, which is a really fair price IMO and I'm determinated to have one next year ASAP at the end of my studies when I will start working.

Last edited:
This is an interesting idea, I'll weigh in with my own experiences. I want to straight up say as others have, I recently bought a car, and I think it would've been completely mad of me to not drive it, and many other examples of it, in real life before deciding I wanted it/one like it, I had GT5 at the time.

Two cars in the game that are close to the cars I own, a Golf V GTI 5 door DSG - as a 3 door manual in game, which understeers way more, and is much harder to flick in game than in real life, but also has less wheel spin in the game, so I guess the game is out both positively and negatively in some respects, ultimately it isn't accurately behaving as my actual car does in real life, while it is still behaving as a FF does, so its tricky. Also, doesn't sound like it does in real life.
I also had a Peugeot 306 XT - in the game a 307 (virtually identical, same engine, ect), also not a good show in the game to real life, again in positive and negative ways.

Obviously gear change is completely out of the question in GT6, whether its speed, feel, smoothness, it just can't be tested in the game at all, for any car (accurately). Interiors, also virtually out of the question, as is practicality, real world economy, there are several ways this point blank won't help... But your thread isn't asking if people should 'only' use GT6, it's asking if it can aid you "AT ALL" (all caps, because 'urgent'?).

I think to answer your question though, yes, this can aid you, but it's probably more of a database type of aid rather than a driving simulator one, especially with the new search function... Then again, this data has been mapped well on a site called kudosprime, albeit GT6 has 3d pictures. Want to know if a Ford ST weighs more than a Golf R? Sure, it's got that (Golf is apparently 100kgs more, I'd double check that though). Visually too, comparing two cars standing next to each other on their looks is helpful.

I suppose to a certain extend the simulator is of use to a limited degree by quantifying the stats into base car types. How much slower is an ST than an R around a track? Probably similarly timed to their actual counterparts on the same real life tracks... But look up Jeremy Clarkson, seeing how fast he could get an NSX around Laguna Seca in a PS2 vs. RL for more on that.

Again, very interesting idea and perhaps my two cars aren't a wide enough pallet to accurately describe the GT5/6 engine, but if they are it would be as... wanting for reality.

Land Rover Evoque $49, 000-94, 000 AUD/60, 000Cr.
Decent all rounder, not a drivers car but not a bus either, can handle a bit of off roading without much trouble.

SRT8 Charger(300SRT8 in Australia only) $56, 000(300 SRT8) AUD/46, 660Cr.
Cheap and simple, you won't get much faster for less. Unfortunately lacking in overall build quality and drinks fuel

Skyline Coupe 370GT(Infiniti Q50/Q60) $51, 600-73, 000 (only 2.2LT & Hybrid in AUST) AUD/44, 730Cr.
Decent all rounder again, not the most exciting but it will never let you down

GOLF R $52, 000-man-54,490-DSG/50, 000Cr.
Good fun to drive, as reliable as the sun rise, a bit over priced and small

(New to Australia) Ford Mustang Boss 302 $ TBA AUD/50, 000Cr.
Same as the Charger pretty much

Ford Focus ST '13 $38, 290 AUD/24, 500Cr.
A great alternative to the Golf, decent drivers car, plenty of space inside, reliable and economical.

and Megane R.S. (Trophy+ $50, 800 AUD)/38, 500Cr. the current car we own.

A great car to drive but I found it a bit choppy on the road, not very forgiving when the road gets bumpy and tiring on long journeys

Well, I have a Honda Jazz DSi 1.4, which is identical to one of the Honda Jazzes in the game, and whilst there is a likeness in some aspects (the roll, optimum rev range, general power), the feel of the car is different. Sure, it's obvious that it is a FF car and as such you can feel the understeer at times etc. But overall I think GT6 is only about 60% there on the physics. If it got to about 85% then I would consider using it to "test" my next car, which I want to be a Focus ST.

The other thing that really needs to be taken into account as the tyres. Since they are not exactly matched to the tyres that you would find on the actual car, it makes a difference on how you drive it.

And one more thing to note: the gearbox. GT's ultimate failing point. If they fixed that, maybe it would give a fairer view on the car. But nevertheless, even if GT was 85% accurate, I would still take go for an actual test drive. GT would only be used to limit my choices from 100 to say 10.

Back