Can NFS Shift fill the void left by GT5 delay?

  • Thread starter Thread starter howard29
  • 112 comments
  • 9,967 views
Messages
3
I've been a GT fan since the first one, it is the best racing franchise there is IMO. But I had a chance to pick up NFS Shift last week, and I know many have bashed it, but the more I play it the more it grows on me. You should all at least give it a rent or two to try for yourselves. I really think that if this franchise stays around both it and Grid have the potential to give GT a run for it's money if they taken they move them further into the sim domain, or at least do enough to give GT enough competition to force PD to make GT all the better in the future, which is a win-win. My thoughts on NFS Shift at a high level are below:

Positives:
- Fantastic engine sounds (though not sure if each car engine sound is representative of it's real-life counterpart).
- Good number and variety of tracks, and very good track detail and overall track graphics.
- Great looking car exteriors as well as cockpits
- Even though it doesn't have the ultimate sim physics you'd hope for, the game is just FUN, cars are fun to drive, good sense of speed
- 16 car races
- Good number of tuning options for cars

Negatives:
- Not as many cars as I would have liked.
- Car physics have some arcade qualities. Though a number of "sliders" and modes exist to get things closer to simulation, the cars will for the most part drift around corners, though some cars are better than others.
- Not a fan of the points system that rewards you for tapping and spinning out the opponent cars.
- Car AI a little suspect, there are instances where CPU cars will ram into you from behind rather than go around you.
 
No, it's half-assed effort to try and do that, so it fails. DiRT 2 is much more fun, which is what I want in the run up to GT5, not some random "half-decent NFS" release. I can guarantee we'll see a "Shift 2" before GT5 launches as well.
 
I bought it, and now after a couple of days i'm gonna sell it. Not my kind of racegame.
 
not for me...
 
The career mode in NFSS is too short (200 - 250 races). I finished it in less than a week. The only thing left now is playing online. I doubt it's very fun, since the game favors dirty racing.
 
No, it's half-assed effort to try and do that, so it fails. DiRT 2 is much more fun, which is what I want in the run up to GT5, not some random "half-decent NFS" release. I can guarantee we'll see a "Shift 2" before GT5 launches as well.

Hardly. Seeing as there's still bugs and glitches to work out of the first one. Not to mention the additional content and the possible addition of an improved professional physics patch.
 
Nope this game can decided whether its a Simulation or Arcade... terrible game to me. Im not a fan of ramming the competition of the road to get points...

The good thing about the game is that it has good tracks
 
This game is horrible and barely lasted a week. Some patches could certainly help, but until March 2010? Fat chance.
 
After putting some time into the demo, no I wont be purchasing Shift, it would last me a couple days and I doubt I would touch it again, so I'm not buying it. Probably will borrow or hire it as we have a good 6 months until GT5.
 
The career mode in NFSS is too short (200 - 250 races). I finished it in less than a week. The only thing left now is playing online. I doubt it's very fun, since the game favors dirty racing.
That's why there are private rooms. And the public rooms are no different from GT5P IMHO.

Nope this game can decided whether its a Simulation or Arcade... terrible game to me. Im not a fan of ramming the competition of the road to get points...
The game certainly doesn't force you to do so. Personally, I left the 'ram x number of opponent' challenges for what they were. Come to think of it, after I unlocked all the cars and performance upgrades I didn't even bother with career mode anymore. :lol: Quick race and online (private rooms) are extremely fun.

But if they don't fix the bugs mentioned, it's not going to last until March 2010. If they do manage to fix the bugs, it will certainly keep me occupied for a long time, as it contains many tracks to master.
 
The career mode in NFSS is too short (200 - 250 races). I finished it in less than a week. The only thing left now is playing online. I doubt it's very fun, since the game favors dirty racing.

Online is the worst part imo. It's hard to drive clean cause the cars are hard to control. In GT5P and even in an arcade racer like GRID you can have exciting races, not so in SHIFT. Only 8 players max online, and they are scattered around the track after one lap. And if you happen to come across someone, it's not only hard to pass him clean due to the lack of control, it's also most likely that he will try to prevent you from doing so. They even get rewarded for taking you out or trading paint with you. Like you said yourself, the game favors dirty racing and that's what you get online, it isn't fun at all.

(i'm talking about public games btw)
 
Online is the worst part imo. It's hard to drive clean cause the cars are hard to control. In GT5P and even in an arcade racer like GRID you can have exciting races, not so in SHIFT. Only 8 players max online, and they are scattered around the track after one lap. And if you happen to come across someone, it's not only hard to pass him clean due to the lack of control, it's also most likely that he will try to prevent you from doing so. They even get rewarded for taking you out or trading paint with you. Like you said yourself, the game favors dirty racing and that's what you get online, it isn't fun at all.

(i'm talking about public games btw)

This is very true. Although it's hard to drive clean no matter who you race.
 
The career mode in NFSS is too short (200 - 250 races). I finished it in less than a week. The only thing left now is playing online. I doubt it's very fun, since the game favors dirty racing.

How did you finish the Corvette race, you know the one that doesn't move off the grid?
 
I have Shift and had a serious try at it for about a week. I've given up.

Now all my hopes lie in Supercar Challenge to fill my playing time until GT5 hits the shelves. Still have to get it though
 
Hardly. Seeing as there's still bugs and glitches to work out of the first one. Not to mention the additional content and the possible addition of an improved professional physics patch.
What was that? A flying pig?!

Fact is, NFSS completely sucks. It has no idea what it is trying to be or what direction it is going. A waste of space release that backfired in their face as they thought GT5 would launch this year.
 
Yes....but only if GTP can get their act together to have a strong online racing environment as I think its better than GT5P in that aspect. Single player? No.
 
How did you finish the Corvette race, you know the one that doesn't move off the grid?

You don't have to do every single race to complete career mode.

What was that? A flying pig?!

Fact is, NFSS completely sucks. It has no idea what it is trying to be or what direction it is going. A waste of space release that backfired in their face as they thought GT5 would launch this year.

Someone from EA already came to THIS site and told us the aforementioned patches are being worked on/considered. Sounds like they're going to make a decent attempt at making it decent after the failures of their previous games. It aims to be a racing game. It's not a full blown sim, but it doesn't involve doing 500m jumps either. It's just an arcade racing game with a degree of realism to it.
 
Now all my hopes lie in Supercar Challenge to fill my playing time until GT5 hits the shelves. Still have to get it though
Personally, I rate Shift much higher than SCC (I have both). SCC always makes me feel like I'm making it do things it doesn't want to. And the deadzones are horrible (and not adjustable). Want my copy? ;) :lol:

Fact is, NFSS completely sucks.
That's not a fact, but an opinion. What IS a fact, is that many people here on GTP are enjoying this game every single day since it was released. Yes, there are bugs (way too many as a matter of fact), but take these away and it's a very good game IMO. But it was definitely rushed; quite obvious by all the bugs, crooked car settings and mislabeled sliders/descriptions etc.
 
That's not a fact, but an opinion. What IS a fact, is that many people here on GTP are enjoying this game every single day since it was released. Yes, there are bugs (way too many as a matter of fact), but take these away and it's a very good game IMO. But it was definitely rushed; quite obvious by all the bugs, crooked car settings and mislabeled sliders/descriptions etc.

Another fact is more than 50% of people seem to be putting the game back down in favour of something else. Maybe a racing game to fill the void isn't the answer? Maybe we should all buy a shoot 'em up and have GTP meets on it until GT5.:lol:
 
No it cannot fill the void.
Matter of fact, it doesn't even come close to filling a tenth of the void.
Sound and sense of immersion are the only things better in Shift.
It has horrible AI, decent physics and is riddled with bugs.
 
A more right name for this game would be NFS **** !!
 
I dont think SHIFT will last till march. Hopefully i get supercar challenge. I love the way the physics are in that game. SHIFT bugs are very annoying. The one bug i hate the most is the change in speed, i think the game slows down and then picks back up again. it sucks real bad, and i think they've overdone the sim physics, because the cars are way too bouncy its rediculous.
 
I just watched all 9 mins of your video - what on earth happened at the end?

C>
 
Six months is a very long time in game play duration.

No, I don't hardly think so.
 
Maybe we should all buy a shoot 'em up and have GTP meets on it until GT5.:lol:
CoD: MW2 is on the horizon as a matter of fact. I've had many fun matches in CoD: MW with fellow GTPers. :)
 
MW2, Uncharted 2, TEKKEN 6 and FIFA 10 will keep me busy until GT5.
 
I'm having a ball!! Private rooms are brilliant add the voice chat and its a lot of fun.... and thats why I play, to have fun.
 
just get any of the GTR games on PC, great SIM, great races, stacks of options. need for speed seems arcadey for me, and OMG have you played forza 3 demo, it has graphics like gears of war, hardly realistic. So i won't even bother with that. GTR or rfactor to fill the gap for me
 
Back