Can Somebody help me drift?

• Thread starter Jasminexo
  • 39 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
xjazmiinex
Sounds daft but I am new to the game (never played AT ALL) but my friends on here are drifters and obviously want to play and drift with them without causing a pile up!
Seems everything I try ends up with me spinning out or hitting the barriers or coming to a complete stop Sooo frustrating!
If somebody could just say what they press to drift in detail like the basics that would be a great help to me because atm trying to practice something I don't know anything about just seems impossible
i use x to accelerate
square to break
and O to handbrake if that makes a difference :|

I see :ouch:

MT is manual transmission, the one you have to shift yourself, usually with R2/L2 buttons if you're on the controller.

It makes drifting easier because you have better control over the gearing, and the torque.

ahhh yeah i see what you mean now >.<
Yeah i try that like shifting the gears little help but not much im like major beginner been spectating people all day just to see but still im shocking :(
i need a mentor hahaha:scared:

Well........

I learned on GTPSP, but like you I was terrible at this drifting dark magic.

I think never really playing driving games before isnt working in my favour, ive played like arcade driving games before like nfs but completely different as this is more realistic!
I just need to know where to start so i can practice:ouch:

I don't have my GT6 copy yet unfortunately :ouch:

Drifting is all about car control, if you can handle your throttle and angle correctly.

Soon as i get it i get excited and go overboard and lose it :ouch:
Im hoping lots of practice should get me there considering ive only been trying for 2 days!
Hoping ill just have a moment and it'll click naturally:idea:
But atm im not really improving :banghead:

Get a RWD car
Equip Comfort-Hard tires
Enter the course called "Willow Springs - Streets of Willow"
Turn of all driving aids
Drive backwards from the start line til you get to a wide area of pavement

Just start doing donuts there, experiment with turning left and right while spinning the back wheels

Try changing your throttle inputs and just see what happens. Learn how your car behaves with different steering and throttle inputs

Basically you just want to learn how a car spins and slides before trying any controlled drifting.

i use left stick for steering and dont use the right stick,
should i change the settings?
so breaking is the right stick?

Would make a great start 👍

@Jasminexo I usually play with this set:

Right stick up for accel and Right stick down for brake. R2 and L2 for upshift and downshift respectively, handbrake (Really important to master this and it's effects) on circle.

That seems doable! :cheers:
Ill give that a go as im using custom settings that have been giving to me by another
and i suppose what works for one wont work for everyone!

Exactly. What worked for me might not work for you.

I say try a low powered FR car first, like an S13 or S14.

Ill change to those settings then!
been told not to use handbrake until i can actually drift and then add that in later!

Ive just thrown myself in at the deep end, thinking to practice drifting but practice car control during normal racing too should help considering im a beginner in all aspects

One of my favorite cars to drift is also my favorite car in the universe, the Lexus LFA :D

It's quite the biter when pushed too hard, but is very controllable in a powerslide despite this.

Jasmine, you can add me and I can spend some time with you online. I could help you with lots of things, considering I'm an experienced GT5 drifter and getting pretty decent on GT6 too.

Sure.

I'd like to get a bit deeper in this drifting gig, I want to be a jack of all trades.

I take it that you have never played GT5 :ouch:

Smoke jaggies were terrible aliasing problems with dust and smoke in GT5, it was ridiculously annoying.

Do you race?

nope never played :lol:
And ahh smoke puts me off haha
and yeah i like the racing aspect of it too
just the drifting is so i can play with my friends without being kicked >.<

Back