Can the [Men's] American National Team Succeed on the World Stage?

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 46 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
We're best known for another kind of football in the United States. I just wonder something at times... what if America's national team ends up becoming the best in the world? According to Wikipedia, the United States won the very first World Cup match against Belgium 3-0 in Montevideo, Uruguay. They'd go on to finish 3rd Place in the World Cup that same year. That would be the best ever result. Here is a notebook I've set up courtesy of the Wikipedia entry on the American National team:

* Their biggest win was 8-1 over the Cayman Islands on November 14, 1993.
* Their biggest shutout win was 7-0 twice. They did it first against El Salvador in December 5 (the day I joined GTPlanet!), 1993 followed by Barbados on August 20, 2000.
* Their biggest defeat was getting beaten 11-0 against Norway in August 1948.
* They have eight World Cup appearances, including in the first-ever World Cup in 1930. Their best result was third that same year.
* They have nine CONCACAF Gold Cup appearances starting in 1991 and have won top honors four times (1991, 2002, 2005, and 2007).
* They've made three Confederations Cup appearances starting in 1992. Their best finish was 3rd in 1992 and 1999.

Why is it that we're not extremely good to take on the best of Europe and even Latin America? Some would say that we're just not as good in what most of the rest of the world calls football. Then again, that's the same excuse made about how come Texas teams don't excel at sports other than gridiron football, since we are traditionally a [gridiron] football state. And isn't it strange that someone who doesn't claim to be pro-patriotic of America wonders and hopes America wins a World Cup one year? I know that the U.S. Women won the world cup for the U.S. of A., but I'm talking about the guys winning one for the U.S. of A. Perhaps I imagine the United States being declared the best soccer team in the world until the next World Cup starts up. I see a few MLS matches and see some nice American talent. Either nice American talent or maybe some international players lending the American National Team a hand. So I ask...

SPECULATION
What do you think it will take for the American National Team to potentially win the World Cup? Is there a good supply of talent to help out? Can the American National Team realize their destiny some day and really shine against the best the world has to offer? The American National Team has never won a World Cup. So what do you think can be done (if anything) that could provide insight towards the American National Team somehow winning the World Cup? Or is this too much a pipe dream and too good to be true? Who are some of the best American footballers that could be the field generals to guide the American National Team to glory?

WHAT IF...
What do you think the response will be if America wins the World Cup? Could America be able to continue their dominance in future tournaments after the success of getting a World Cup? Would winning a World Cup against a powerful team (like England, Italy, France, Brazil, Germany, etc.) be an upset if we were to beat some of the world's best teams in this tournament?

This was all out of curiousity. So let's see those replies!

Why is it that we're not extremely good to take on the best of Europe and even Latin America?

It's hard to be the best in sport that is number one in almost every country.

Let's have a look at Germany. The German Football Association (DfB) has six million members. I, for example, do Taekwondo. The German Taekwondo Association has only 60.000 members. It's much harder to reach the top in football, because there are so much more people.

As in any other sport, the later professionals start playing when they are very young. If you start at the age of six, train at least two times a week and play one full match every week, you achieve a level you simply can't catch up if you start at the age of 18.

Then there is the training system. There is no such thing as "franchises" or "College Sport" in the rest of the world. You either go to school (later college/university) or try your luck in a professional club after you finish school. AFAIK there is not a single player with a college degree in German Bundesliga. It's 100% sport, 0% education. The players focus on football very early. There are dozens of amateur youth leagues. The good players will sooner or later end in a bigger club with better coaches.

In poorer countries it's a completely different situation. The kids start playing early and they often play several hours a day because there is nothing else to do. Take the best of those kids, put them in a club with good coaches and you get a very good player. Any professional "rookie" played several thousand hours before his first professional game.

I think football is not popular enough in America. Therefore I see no chance for you to win anything. If football were more popular, more people would play it and the training system would improve. Look at the Athletics. Almost every European track and field athlete trains in America, because you can't train on a professional level over here. You can achieve the same in football, but it will at least take ten years.

I've never really got the American game. What's with all the franchises?

Yet you have all that money and id say 80% of teams are made up of American players?

Europe its different. I believe college teams play and teams pick from them college teams? Europe players are picked from 11 upwards and train with that team. I wouldn't say '100% sport, 0% Education.' as these clubs know out of the 23 11 year old's that only a handful, if that will make it. In the UK many clubs take care of their education due to the fact that they know alot of these wont make it.

Its different at my age at a club im at. Some of the players at my club think when they go into Men's football and have a sudden 'rags to riches' story. Its not going to happen. At best they will play Semi-proffessional. If a kid is spotted they will gain an education with the football, if they are merely playing Sundays like myself there is little hope.

Freddy Adu is an example of being picked young. He now plays in Portugal and has not materialised as the star he was once described as.

What's with all the franchises?

Franchises could also work in Europe, but it's not going to happen, because the current system of "promotion and relegation" also works. It is still possible to buy a club though. The only thing that is impossible is moving or taking a team away to a different town. If you buy Chelsea London like Roman Abramovich did, you can't take it away from London.

The other thing that is never going to happen is the US "Entry Draft" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosman_ruling). I really think the Draft is a bad idea, although it is also working.

Its different at my age at a club im at. Some of the players at my club think when they go into Men's football and have a sudden 'rags to riches' story. Its not going to happen

Yes, it never happens. When I was 12 we (small village team) played against a youth team from Hertha BSC Berlin. The players of Hertha were four years younger! That's like four weight classes in a boxing match. One could think we trashed them easily. Well, we lost 13:0 in about 60 minutes. Their players had superior technique and were tactically at least four times better. They have highly qualified coaches for every age group. If you want to be a pro, you have to join a club from a big town.

Yes, it never happens. When I was 12 we (small village team) played against a youth team from Hertha BSC Berlin. The players of Hertha were four years younger! That's like four weight classes in a boxing match. One could think we trashed them easily. Well, we lost 13:0 in about 60 minutes. Their players had superior technique and were tactically at least four times better. They have highly qualified coaches for every age group. If you want to be a pro, you have to join a club from a big town.

It has happend but in rare cases. DJ Campbell went from playing non-leauge part timers (Yeading) to the Premiership with Birmingham, via Brentford. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Campbell) and very few have in the past.

Today we played a team which are really not good enough for the proffessional clubs yet we lost. Yet last week we played a team with some players from the local youth club and we did well. Crazy game.

How's this thread just got replies in from today? Where have all the other replies gone?

Hows this for a late response, I remembered posting in this thread myself more than once. Maybe I was mistaken but I was and still am pretty sure that there were posts in this thread between June 13th and September the 21st. Maybe I'm going loco.

Anyhow, did anyone see the USA v Italy game just now, three goals by Americans and USA lost 3-1. To be honest I though USA started off okay attitude wise, the biggest problem was that they clearly are not clinical. That young lad Jozey Altidore made a couple of okay moves but never really did anything. The other young American Guiseppi Rossi did though, he scored two scorchers for Italy. Duel nationality can be a killer eh. USA ended up just being outclassed, and it's a shame to say it but by an Italy side that are probably too old to really win anything major. I know they had a man sen off but really it should have been the Italinas and not the USA who looked like they had all hit the wall after 75 mins. There was no movement, players were waiting for the ball to come to them and minus the odd effort never looked like a real threat.

The first thing the USA need to do is make themselves hard to beat, they haven't got the class to outscore top teams but like England have become under Capello (only to a different scale) you need to make the game hard for opponents. And I'm not talking about a 9 man defense and 1 up the field (Sunderland) I'm talking about setting up the midfield tactically so that it closes down the opposition and makes life difficult for them in the midfield and not inviting them onto you doorstep and just hoping to have enough people back to block or deflect a shot wide.

The thing is that the United States has to qualify for the FIFA Championship through the CONCACAF League, which is... kind of easy. The countries that are somewhat competitive within the CONCACAF are only three: Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica and the US (to a point). The other countries that are part of the CONCACAF are poor, have small populations or a very defficient football tradition. In fact, out of all the countries that are part of CONCACAF, no more than seven have been to a World Cup... take into account that there are 40 countries in the CONCACAF.

If, on the other hand, there were only one League for all of America (north, central and south), the US would have a very hard time making it to any sort of qualifying match. The South American League is called CONMEBOL, and in it are countries that have been world champions many times, including Argentina and Brazil, but also there are many countries that have proven to be hard teams, such as Colombia, Peru, Paraguay and Uruguay.

So, the US may fare decently in CONCACAF, but it's mostly due to lack of competition.

Can the [Men's] American National Team Succeed on the World Stage?

On days like today, they can.

2:0 against Spain, the currently best team in the world, unbeaten in the last 35 games. Btw, the knock out stage in football tournaments rules. No second chance.

On days like today, they can.

2:0 against Spain, the currently best team in the world, unbeaten in the last 35 games. Btw, the knock out stage in football tournaments rules. No second chance.

I was very surprise on the outcome, but Spain did not have chance!!!
All their attacks seemed to be missing that final something. They had soooooo many chances but nothing to show for.
But it also did not help that the USA had 10 man on defense :crazy: would have liked to see more offense from them. But that 2nd goal gorgeous passing!
GO team

I was shocked as hell about this. Here's what I typed as my status on Facebook recently:

"says 'OH MY GOD!!! The United States beat Spain 2-0 in football (soccer)?! Wow!!!' Spain would still own us any other day..."

I heard that the US of A will face the winner of Brazil and South Africa. God help the USA men's soccer team if we have to face Brazil!

I'm as shoked as you, I did not see that coming. I missed the match a well. It would be something to see the USA lift the Confederations Cup, okay it's not the World cup but that wasn't Spains reserve team that played tonight. I'll have to search if any highlights will be on, I'd have loved to have seen that game.

Well done USA and win or lose, hope you enjoy the final.

Ooh, brilliant. Thanks daan 👍. I'll probably have to watch it tomorrow.

In the United States... I heard that ESPN Classic will re-air this match between the USA and Spain at 11:00 PM EDT. Honestly, I want to see that match. I don't watch soccer very often, but I do think it's such an amazing sport. Now I'm not going to be like most pro-American people and think that we're going to beat EVERY powerhouse. You know, I doubt we'll stack up against good teams like Argentina, Brazil, England, Italy... all of which are "pick your poison."

Now if South Africa beats Brazil, then I'd be interested to see how South Africa is as a team. I know South Africa for Springboks rugby in the tough-as-nails Tri-Nations League, but I don't know about South Africa non-rugby football. Then... maybe the South African faithful will tell the USA team "go back home, Yanks!" But really, the US will be in an uphill climb whether Brazil wins or if South Africa wins. Good luck to the USA in all of this.

To be honest, right now Spain are arguably the best International team in the world, from what I've seen of Brazil recently they havent been notably impressive even in their 3-0 win over Italy I didn' think they were that good nor were Itay. I haven't seen this game yet but I'd guess that it was either a very bad day at the office for Spain, or an uncharacteristic display of wasted chances. Don't get me wrong, Brazil arn't a bad side, but they arn't anything like how briliant they have been in the past, even relatively recently.

South Africa look like they have a couple of talented players but they don't seem to want to play as a team. When I watch them I see all the attacking out field players all trying to get personal glory at the expense of often better position players who are an easy pass away. The only player who seems to try to keep the team as a team when moving forwards is Pienaar. He's South Africas best player really, he plays for Everton over here, though he's not a bad player he's nothing special. He doesn't stand out in Evertons team as anything paricularly impressive unlike Arteta and Cahill. But he's easilly the best player for South Africa.

I think if USA can put on a spirited display then anything is possible. You have 1 game to win, and 1 game can go either way. If the USA played Spain 10 times you'd lose a lot more than you won, no question, but play them in a 1 off game and aything can happen as we saw today. You just have to look at the final in the same way, it's just a one off game.

USA looks like a completely different team for the confederations cup. Tim Howard was brilliant.

Well, you guys have got Brazil. Should be an interesting game.

Yep. The only question about this is if the United States can pull another George Mason and take down Brazil... even if it's a 0-0 game that's decided on place kicks. I root for the United States, but there are much better teams that are so over us, like Spain. But that's the magic of sports. Sometimes, it's about being there at the end or having just enough to win.

Can the U.S. play dragon slayer again?

BTW, Jermaine Jones will play for the United States in the future. A really good man. He has already played some friendly games for Germany, but not in UEFA/FIFA tournaments or qualification matches. Thanks to new FIFA rules he is allowed to play for another country, in this case the country of his father.

Well, it's official. We're Confederates' Cup runners-up. It was 2-1 USA when I saw this match at about 78 minutes. But since I tuned in, we lost 3-2. The US national team has nothing to be ashamed of. Brazil was just better in the end.

Absolutely, I was genuinely hoping for an upset and it very nearly happened. Ultimately USA ran out of steam, you pressed well and played well in general but then around the 65 min mark the team started getting sloppy and passing to Brazil, Brazil had more energy and that's what won the game for them today. In terms of effort, despite losing USA far exceeded expectation in this cup and imo you beat the vbest team in it when you beat Spain. Overall a stonkingly good effort.

Sickening.

The US team plays like the Buffalo Sabres in hockey. Take the lead with a speedy and aggressive offense, then cower in your own zone for the remainder of the game, and when you give up the lead, you can't get started again.

Any reason why soccer games have to be so noisy? During the USA vs Brazil match all I heard from the crowd was this annoying buzzing sound

Any reason why soccer games have to be so noisy? During the USA vs Brazil match all I heard from the crowd was this annoying buzzing sound

I heard in the comentary the other day, that the African fans, specially those of the South Africa team, their main "noise maker" is those horns.
English and Spanish (spain) have chants and such, African fans have those horns. But I could have heard wrong.

I did not see the game and cannot say much, but just the fact that the USA was up by half time that gives great hope to the USA team!!! 👍

Sickening.

The US team plays like the Buffalo Sabres in hockey. Take the lead with a speedy and aggressive offense, then cower in your own zone for the remainder of the game, and when you give up the lead, you can't get started again.

You weren't even expected to qualify out of your group, so coming a very close 2nd to one of the best teams in the world is a brilliant result.

The only sickening thing here is your abuse of football terminology. Attack, not offense, and half, not zone.

decided on place kicks

And "penalties".

And we won't even touch on the term "soccer". That's worth a couple hundred posts right there.

Last edited:
You weren't even expected to qualify out of your group, so coming a very close 2nd to one of the best teams in the world is a brilliant result.

The only sickening thing here is your abuse of football terminology. Attack, not offense, and half, not zone.

He was using hockey terms.

And, yeah, that buzzing is mega annoying. Sounds like the place is filled with African horseflies.

Back