Can the [Men's] American National Team Succeed on the World Stage?

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 46 comments
You weren't even expected to qualify out of your group, so coming a very close 2nd to one of the best teams in the world is a brilliant result.

The only sickening thing here is your abuse of football terminology. Attack, not offense, and half, not zone.

Haven't I made it clear that I'm a hockey person? I'll the terminology I want to use. And I'm aware they weren't expected to get through the group stage. But if you make it that far then you've set standards for yourself, and they did not meet those standards in the second half yesterday.

They overachieved, they played above themselves and they deserve to be applauded for that, not criticised.

As for the buzzing noises, yeah thoes are horns that are sold outside the stadiums in Africa, it's usually cheering and chanting everywhwere else. I hope they arn't as bad with the horns for the world cup, it was rather annoying.

And you shouldn't use hockey terminology for a football match just like you shouldn't use football terminology for a hockey match. It's not difficult. I'm a football person but I woudn't use football terminology in hocky, that'd just be silly.

Last edited:
Haven't I made it clear that I'm a hockey person? I'll the terminology I want to use.

And you shouldn't use hockey terminology for a football match just like you shouldn't use football terminology for a hockey match. It's not difficult. I'm not a football person but I woudn't use football terminology in hocky, that'd just be silly.
Bingo. I watch American Football and when I'm watching it I'll use terms like road uniforms (away strips), double teaming (tightly marked), cleats (studs), offense (attack) and deefense (defense) etc., but I wouldn't use any of them for real football.

"Winningest" wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have "Most" nailed in front of it.

Brrr.

Bingo. I watch American Football and when I'm watching it I'll use terms like road uniforms (away strips), double teaming (tightly marked), cleats (studs), offense (attack) and deefense (defense) etc., but I wouldn't use any of them for real football.

Actually, it's more commonly Away uniforms and double coverage. Isn't double-teaming a pro wrestling term?

oh, and deefense is actually
42_1349.jpg

These annoying "horns" are called vuvuzelas:

SmallAaronVuvu.jpg

Everyone I know hates them. I hope the FIFA bans them.

Edit: I didn't see raz_10 already linked vuvuzelas.

Actually, the vuvuzela can sound good if it's done right. Check out this video:

The problem is (as you can see with the Italians in the video), all the people who went to south africa have the horns and are blowing the horns like idiots when they don't know how to play them correctly.

Hey, Oguchi Onyewu got signed to AC Milan. Maybe the US team is going places after all.

I don't know this player but if he's any good then Ajax wouldn't be good enough for him. Top players don't spend thier careers at Ajax unless they have a reason they value more than progressing thier careers. Ajax are a good Dutch side but they're nothing special compared to top European clubs. They do bring some good players through thier ranks fairly regularly though so I'd guess they have a good academy setup and a decent scouting network.

The US just lost to Mexico 2-1. Macias and Sabah for Mexico logged the two goals in the game, while Davies logged the only goal for the US. It was 1-1 at the half, but Mexico pulled ahead in about the 37 minute of the second half. About two fights broke out, and some of the Mexican fans threw some emptied cups at an American player on a corner kick for the US.

The US is still winless when playing in Mexico against the Mexican team. I still believe the US team can beat ANY team if they can gel together and play like they did against Spain earlier this year. If there was one player whom I most admire [besides Brian Ching and Stuart Holden for my Houston Dynamo], it's our wonderful goalkeeper. I just hope the team can keep playing hard and competing as long as they can.

I still believe the US team can beat ANY team if they can gel together and play like they did against Spain earlier this year.

Yeah, and I still think pigs could fly if they grew wings and got their technique really on the dot.

Speaking of a US player rather than the US team, Joezy Altidore has just joined Hull on a year long loan with an option for Hull to buy. In Joezy's words he's joining possibly the toughest league in the world so it can only improve him as a player and I guess it's his big chance to prove if he has what it takes to be a good palyer or not.

Back