Can we talk about how improved the in game sounds are in GT7

The more I play GT7, the more cars I get to drive, the more impressed I am by the massive improvement in game sounds effects and quality.
Its especially noticeable when using headphones.
Every car sounds different, from a V8 muscle car to a Japanese GT3 racer, they all put a smile on my face.
And its not just the car sounds. They have finally binned that awful, laughable, famously Gran Turismo skidding sound effect.
There are now different and pretty accurate tyre sounds depending whether you are skidding under breaking, skidding around a corner, a small loss of fraction etc. It just so good now.

A special mention has to got out to the GT-R Nismo GT3 - what an amazing sounding car. This car, good headphones, GT7 and PS5.......Car heaven!!

I'm loving driving the Alfa 8C. With my new headphones on, I'm able to actually perceive the muffling of the engine from the sound proofing of the car (you can also tell the difference when using the reverse camera)

I actually enjoy it best with my Atmos surround sound. Yeah, they nailed it. The transmissions, the super chargers and turbos. They all sound great. All the little creaks, pops, and cracks are amazing too.

Yea the sounds are top notch!! I’m using pulse 3D and sound placement is amazing ! Did you guys hear the sounds bouncing off the walls? I mean nothing like ACC but for a GT game well done!!!

Last edited:
I actually enjoy it best with my Atmos surround sound. Yeah, they nailed it. The transmissions, the super chargers and turbos. They all sound great. All the little creaks, pops, and cracks are amazing too.
Would like to add something to this PlayStation doesn’t support Dolby Atmos so you aren’t getting proper atmos

Would like to add something to this PlayStation doesn’t support Dolby Atmos so you aren’t getting proper atmos
Tempest 3D allows for more active sources than Atmos but it isn't supported yet for PS5. Whatever 7.1 mix they do have is pretty good though even if it isn't true Atmos.

Tempest 3D allows for more active sources than Atmos but it isn't supported yet for PS5. Whatever 7.1 mix they do have is pretty good though even if it isn't true Atmos.
Tempest 3D audio only currently supports headphones and TV speakers currently doesn’t work with surround sound systems. Tempest is PlayStation/Sony answer to Atmos it’s likely never to get Atmos support as they would rather use there own codec. On a technical level Tempest is the better system but due to its Infancy currently the only audio hardware that benefits is TV speakers and Headphones.

Having recently purchased the F50 from the legendary dealership, all I have to say is WOW. They nailed that high pitched V-12 Ferrari supercar sound. Especially love when the game replays come up with the car whizzing by the screen and you hear that roar.

Last edited:
Having recently purchased the F50 from the legendary dealership, all I have to say is WOW. They nailed that high pitched V-12 Ferrari supercar sound. Especially love when the game replays come up with the car whizzing by the screen and you hear that roar.
I tried the F12 for the first time, and I was expecting a lot being a V12 and all. It felt underwhelming compared to the F8. I don't have the F50 though. Does the F50 sound better than the F12?

I tried the F12 for the first time, and I was expecting a lot being a V12 and all. It felt underwhelming compared to the F8. I don't have the F50 though. Does the F50 sound better than the F12?
Haven't tried the F12 yet. I'll give it a go this weekend and let you know!

Can anyone suggest in detail the best sound settings?
I've turned the BGM off as want only to hear the car sound notes but we have options for our car & the AI cars too. What is the best setting? Max on all of them?

Am I one of the few people that are having issues with sound positioning in the game when using 3D sound with Pulse 3D headset? My own car sounds about right and overall sound quality is great, but when I’m passing an AI vehicle and we are at about similar speeds the sound seems to be already coming from what appears to be behind my car, even though I didn’t fully pass it yet. Seems totally wrong and feels like there is some kind of lag or rather offset in 3D sound positioning. Like it’s trying to compensate for player car driving past quickly or something.

Ruins the experience for me! I’ve played with the 5 settings in the 3D audio setup, but it didn’t help. All other games I play have great sound positioning and that’s why it’s such a standout in GT7.

Wonder if anyone else has any suggestions.

Last edited:
I'm using the absolute cheapest headset in the world, ($17.99 Amazon deal, typical China, Inc. branding) and the game sounds great. I ran a tuned up S15 in the Asia-Pacific Champ last night, and the midrange honk about cooked my brain. I have all the Camaros, and the 69 Z28 and 2016 SS are both major steps forward (Haven't needed to drive the ZL-1 yet.) I used to think Kaz accidentally recorded a UPS truck for the American V8 sounds. Sound is a critical factor for real immersion, and GT games have never been that great, so there may be hope!

I play on a top quality Onkyo/kef surround sound system. The sound really is unbelievable now, especially since I always use cockpit mode.

My favourite sound is, maybe weirdly, slowing down in the R8 Evo Race Car. The way the engine whines and the car shakes and rattles… it’s class.

Haven't tried the F12 yet. I'll give it a go this weekend and let you know!
Thanks man, much appreciated!
Can anyone suggest in detail the best sound settings?
I've turned the BGM off as want only to hear the car sound notes but we have options for our car & the AI cars too. What is the best setting? Max on all of them?
I have the engine on 10 and the rest (tires, opponents etc) at the minimum, sounds great. Try a F8 Tributo in cockpit view.

For Rikki- I have a pretty good home audio setup as well- 200W/CH Onkyo, KEF C40's and a Velodyne sub, but being in a townhouse and gaming mostly in the late evening I just can't crank it up. (For tractor nerds, the Fendt MT 1167 in Farm Sim 22 really lights up the sub at idle and low RPM, and basically shakes the house, as does any decent YT clip of the UP 4014 or N&W 611...) For those wondering how to run the output, a 3.5 to RCA splitter from your DualSense to your receiver/preamp will do the trick.

For Rikki- I have a pretty good home audio setup as well- 200W/CH Onkyo, KEF C40's and a Velodyne sub, but being in a townhouse and gaming mostly in the late evening I just can't crank it up. (For tractor nerds, the Fendt MT 1167 in Farm Sim 22 really lights up the sub at idle and low RPM, and basically shakes the house, as does any decent YT clip of the UP 4014 or N&W 611...) For those wondering how to run the output, a 3.5 to RCA splitter from your DualSense to your receiver/preamp will do the trick.
Mine is an Onkyo TX-NR646 (had a few years now), and Kef Home Theatre series 3000 speakers. The Onky does have Dolby Atmos capability, but I'm just setup as a 5.1 system which is more than I could ever need really. I live in a detached house so no issues with volume :D

The more I play GT7, the more cars I get to drive, the more impressed I am by the massive improvement in game sounds effects and quality.
Its especially noticeable when using headphones.
Every car sounds different, from a V8 muscle car to a Japanese GT3 racer, they all put a smile on my face.
And its not just the car sounds. They have finally binned that awful, laughable, famously Gran Turismo skidding sound effect.
There are now different and pretty accurate tyre sounds depending whether you are skidding under breaking, skidding around a corner, a small loss of fraction etc. It just so good now.

A special mention has to got out to the GT-R Nismo GT3 - what an amazing sounding car. This car, good headphones, GT7 and PS5.......Car heaven!!
I'm more impressed that the exhaust mods are properly working now. In GT5/6 all exhaust modification will make the engine sound extremely generic. In GT7 you can install mods and make the sound beefier without messing up the engine note. This feature is far more impressive than engine swap imo although I understand the appeal of that too.

Last edited:
It really is remarkable how good the sounds are in this game. For instance, it's honestly the first game I've ever heard that captures the RX-8 well:

The detail at the top end of the rev range, that kind of ripping intake noise n/a rotaries are known for. It sounds bloody awesome...not like the crap 2 rotor sounds we've been forced to live with in basically every racing game until this point (the Forza n/a 2-rotor sounds are notably bad)

Then there's this:

The cockpit view sound is just incredible. The exterior sound is maybe slightly lower pitch than I associate with the CGT, but it still sounds fantastic.

I think the huge jump in sound quality in GT7 has to do with the fidelity of the samples. They feel a genuine step up from everything this side of the Dirt series. In addition to that, the environmental soundscape is the best I've ever heard in a racing game. Gone is the kind of phaser-like doppler effect in GTSport. It sounds almost totally natural in GT7. Make's the replays a joy to watch.

My only complaint is the sound during up gear changes on manual transmission cars doesn't quite sound right. The downshifts sound good, but upshifts sound a little strange. Like the driver is riding the clutch between shifts...it's not quite satisfying.

Last edited:
I know I already posted this in the News and Discussion topic, but it got buried and ignored as people kept posting in there.

Yeah, I'm kinda impressed with how everything sounds as well, including the engines. Guess hiring the ex-Forza guy Mike Caviezel did wonders, huh?

Not only him, but you have Daiki Kasho to thank for that as well, as the reason why he was at Nightbird almost three years ago was just to review the car audio with the team. That's pretty much it, I suspect.

My only complaint is the sound during up gear changes on manual transmission cars doesn't quite sound right. The downshifts sound good, but upshifts sound a little strange. Like the driver is riding the clutch between shifts...it's not quite satisfying.
Yes If you look at one of the older GRID games maybe autosport or 2019 (not legends which does some things badly) the upshift samples specifically are in general more in line with what I'd want. Whereas in GT7 and past GT's individual car upshift samples were just like absent across the board

Last edited:
Back