Can you or can you not wait for GT4 to be released early? ( Important please read.)

  • Thread starter Thread starter pimp racer
  • 57 comments
  • 1,624 views

Can you or can you not wait for GT4 to be released early?

  • Yes I can be pateint and wait for GT4 to be delayed by a month or two

    Votes: 48 80.0%
  • No I can not wait because I think the producers have taken too long in making the game.

    Votes: 12 20.0%

  • Total voters
    60
Do you realise how mmuch swapping that would mean, no way. 2000 cars would probably take 2 to 3 gigs of space on the disk (remember everything on the disk is compressed) so it wouldn't take muc space, the tracks on GT4:P were only 5 or 6 megs from what I can remeber.
 
I don't care, as long it has more cars!!! I'd rather swap discs than settle with a boring GT3-like gameplay. If I can do it back on GT2 days I can do it on the twin-disc GT4.
 
You wouldn't mind swapping disks each time you want to change your car?
 
Yes! As long as there are 2,000-10,000 cars, I wouln't mind.
 
Why do some of you people think that just because the game is delayed, it means that they are still working on it? In my opinion, I think they were done the game a long time ago they just want to release it at a time when they will make the most money...
 
Even though they are actually still working on it, they are still putting cars into the game and thats been confirmed, also the online aspect of the game was well below par and PD wants to get that right. A game is only held back for a better release date if it's ready close to that date, if the game was ready now they would release it over the summer, if it was ready in August then they would hold it till November.
 
I would be able to stand the wait til November (or beyond) if SCEA would release a *****ng holdover game. Seriously, where the hell is our GT Concept Tokyo-Geneva-Detroit? And what's keeping them from giving us Prologue? They shouldn't be allowed to make us wait more than 3 damn years between GT3 and 4 without giving us some holdover games, especially since EVERYONE ELSE GETS THEM!!!!!

Some people say that releasing the E3 demo to the U.S. as our version of Prologue is too much, but I think it's justified since they haven't given us sh?*t yet.

Excuse my obscene ramblings, E3 has put me in a bad mood.
 
...Ok, there are some seriously messed up ideas floating around this thread.

To address to main point: GT4 has alread been delayed, extensively. Now while I'll continue to wait until it's released, that's because I don't have a choice. In my honest opinion, if in the exhorbitant amount of time that PD has had beyond their goal release dates, if they haven't managed to playtest the game into the ground and sort out as many bugs and glitches as possible, they're a pathetic development company. That's the crux of it. They shouldn't need to take an extra two months to make the network code more efficient or solve other problems, and I'll once again bet live4speed's house on the fact that they won't.

Patching consoles games... Yeah, that's an interesting one. Yes we all do it regularly on the PC but do we enjoy it? Hell no. Sure it adds functionality from time to time but it leads to version mismatches and occasionally introduces new problems in an attempt to solve old ones. What do you do about the people who don't have an internet connection? Or a hard drive? Do you waste their memory card trying to cram updates on? Do you mail then an entirely new GT disc when you make a revision? I mean, you're going to get people complaining they're being treated unfairly if you don't allow them the same chance to update and fix their game as everyone else. I'm not sure of the figures but I'd say the proportion of PS2 owners with both an internet connection AND a hard drive is well below 1%. If that's going to become a limiting factor to your sales, then you're pretty screwed and need another solution. Patching is something I never want to see done on a console, if it can be at all avoided, then it should be.

Now perhaps it's in another thread I haven't reached yet but when was it confirmed GT4 will be on two discs? And the suggestions of thousands of cars, that's just insane.
 
I bring such a positive (meaning NEGATIVE) impact to GTPlanet, do I? More popularity, more problems...

Anyhow, I can wait. Besides, I don't race just GT, I'm just all over the racing map. So, I can deal.
 
By the way, "perfect release date: Jan 1, 2005?" No way, man! It's after Christmas, after New Year's Eve, and I'll probably be watching some BCS Bowl games that day, so... no.
 
What happens if you can't wait? Do you, I dunno, like explode or something?
 
Originally posted by JohnBM01
By the way, "perfect release date: Jan 1, 2005?" No way, man! It's after Christmas, after New Year's Eve, and I'll probably be watching some BCS Bowl games that day, so... no.

This would not be the perfect realease date. All the shops are shut on New Years Day in Australia.
 
Well im still finishing Gt3, so doesnt bother me when it comes.... its one of those games, its done when its done, its released when its released......

Someone will say one thing another will say somethin else....
You can pre order it at bloody heaps of place in Australia, but why bother.... Games shops out here say Gt4 Prologue is on the way, but i'll be happy to wait for the complete package...

:D
 
I would love for the game to come out right now but meh I am content as I want this game to be perfect and jam packed with GT action so I am happy to wait because in the end a better game will be at the end of the waiting rainbow.
 
OK...I've said this somewhere on these forums before. When GT4 is finally released and we first place it in the PS2 Disc tray,I think we will soon realise how glad we were that we waited so long.Harddrive supporting cars tracks whatever,its still going to be the most awsome game I've ever layed my hands on.And remember,every day GT4 is closer than its ever been.This thought helps me get by anyway.
 
Originally posted by BreakerOhio
Who would welcome lag and bugs, not me, but I am tired of waiting, so I would really appreciate it if they would stop delaying the game and release it ASAP and utilize the hard drive to apply bug patches when bugs are found....its that simple.

I know I am a little late on this post but, Breaker, you stole the words from my mouth. You are always on the ball, got to give it to ya. ANd about the hard drive, thats why I bought it, so they could update buggy games and add new features...SO USE IT!!
 
Originally posted by live4speed
Not happening on a console. The cars and tracks could but not patches for a game on a console where all the important info is streamed straight from the disk.

Have you ever heard of Socom 2? Zipper/Sony released a Patch for that game March 10th I believe. COnsole games can be patched. It is patched in the offline mode of the game, too, not just for online play. Why blurt out assumptions if you don't actually know what you are talking about?

And what with all this "loading time will be slower when reading off the hard drive"? Uh, a hard drive reads a lot faster than an optical drive. Once again, why say something like this when you dont know what you are talking about?

I am willing to bet that GT4 will actually support being saved to the hard drive, (like a PC), and just use the disk for copy protection just like a PC. Then it would load gobs faster than the dvd drive and would have the entire game file saved on it, readily available to patch.

And about the "problems with patching, mismatched software versions, blah blah". The PS2 is a console, throughout all of the versions,all the hardware is basically the same, the software operates the same way, it's all compatible. There just wont be the problems associated with hardware like on a pc. There wont be any different variations of video, sound, printer, web cam, NIC, etc. drivers and manufacturers to screw up your processing. Everything works the same, acts the same, and uses the same processes to get things done. Like I said, there just won't be the amount of problems, like there would for pc.

AH, I'm done, just some thoughts.
 
Originally posted by JohnBM01
Anyhow, I can wait. Besides, I don't race just GT, I'm just all over the racing map. So, I can deal.
Me too. But the problem is, all the other good racing games are coming out this fall too. That means the only thing to do this summer is get Driver 3, play through GT3 with the wheel, and maybe pick up some older games. None of that is any kind of substitute for GT4. Unless Driver 3 is just awesome.
 
"And what with all this "loading time will be slower when reading off the hard drive"? Uh, a hard drive reads a lot faster than an optical drive. Once again, why say something like this when you dont know what you are talking about?"

Wandering what kind of PC u have??? Cause if a game has to load a lot of data from a harddrive it WILL be slower.....
For example if you play games like Red Alert and you use lot's of downloaded maps the game take a long time to load when you start it up, but it doesn't appear when playing true...

Just think that if you download a lot of cars in this game you're initial start of the game is going to take a lot longer than if they were on the disk.
 
Any delay caused because of bad management can be classified as "taking time to improve the game"...there is allways abit of tweak to do, there is always the oportunity to tweak the code, add cars, music whatever you like.
 
Yes I can be pateint and wait for GT4 to be delayed by a month or two only if it's for a legit reason. They have seemed to put A LOT more detail into this game than I realize so I applaud them for that and if there is a detail they need to get to have the game "complete" then I can wait. As for you guys that want to "kill themselves" ehh... take a chill pill or some zolof? Sheesh.

edit: actually, the thing I can't wait for is the PSP. Having a portable GT4 that's mindbogling! :boggled: :dopey: :bowdown: 👍
 
I understand that it is very hard 2 make games these days, not like it used 2 b when Dizzy and Jetset Willy were about. But I really do want 2 knowwhat the hell they have been doing all this time. I think PD should have kept the fans better informed as to what was going on, for example a English offical website would have been a good start. I guess my questions will/should be answered when the game comes out, but if it is released and is just like the last one but with more cars and tracks then I will b pissed off :mad:

However I have faith in PD, that they will do their best and produce the game we are all hoping for.

But in answer to the question, no I can't wait...........but only because I'm a "now now now" kind of person :lol:

Cheers

Jamie
 
Originally posted by The Vanishing Boy
There will be two DVD reversible disks, the first disc-front is the arcade mode, first disc-back is your home/garage and the Photo mode, the second disc-front is totally dedicated for the Car Dealer (which can be contain w/ 2,000 cars), and last but not the least the second disc-back is the simulation mode.
Yeah that would make sense and yes I would switch my disk everytime i want a different car.
Originally posted by JohnBM01
I bring such a positive (meaning NEGATIVE) impact to GTPlanet, do I? More popularity, more problems...

Anyhow, I can wait. Besides, I don't race just GT, I'm just all over the racing map. So, I can deal.
Yeah same here I can play some PC racing game in the wait of GT4 or play GT2:D .
 
Oh yes and if anyone ever in america has heard of a show called "X-Play" ( Show about video games) They went to japan and went to the GT4 building place where they are producing the game and show the environment they "LIVE" in yes they live underneath their desks I was like "Holly **** these folks are actually putting their time into this game because the live ( Sleep and eat and everything else) in the building where they work at imagine the amount of their time they put into this wonderful game.
 
Originally posted by basje_1
"And what with all this "loading time will be slower when reading off the hard drive"? Uh, a hard drive reads a lot faster than an optical drive. Once again, why say something like this when you dont know what you are talking about?"

Wandering what kind of PC u have??? Cause if a game has to load a lot of data from a harddrive it WILL be slower.....
For example if you play games like Red Alert and you use lot's of downloaded maps the game take a long time to load when you start it up, but it doesn't appear when playing true...

Just think that if you download a lot of cars in this game you're initial start of the game is going to take a lot longer than if they were on the disk.

Oh yeah right, sure. Have a look at some numbers here. The first one is almost the exact same hard drive as in the PS2, and is believed by some that the PS2 hard drive is actually one of these, relabeled. It is copied from a data sheet of the actual drive http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_barracuda5400.1.pdf . The DVD drive, is a TOP OF THE LINE SONY. Specs are from www.newegg.com . As you can see the data transfer times times aren't even close.

Seagate 5400 RPM 40gb Barracuda Hard Drive (for pc):

Maximum External Transfer rate: 100 Mbits/Sec or 100,000 Kbits/sec
Seek Time (access time):12.5 milliseconds
Buffer: 2MB or 2000KB

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1612:

Maximum Transfer Rate: 21.632 Mbits/sec or 21,632 Kbits/sec
Seek Time (access time): 80-220 milliseconds
Buffer: .512 MB or 512KB


Now, what were you saying???


Edited: Thanks eagle for the correction, but still shows which is faster. ;)
 
Uh, whoa, hold on a second. You've got the wrong stat there, at least, I think so, so bear with me ok?

Even the fastest optical drives do not even touch a hard drive. They have to spin up, transfer, spin down - access time is a lot worse as you can see. Hard drives are far more efficient, provided the data is not fragmented to hell, but even if it is, a hard drive should still outperform an optical drive in any load condition.

However, JimX you've highlighted the Maximum Internal transfer rate, which isn't the same thing. The internal transfer rate is the rate at which data is passed to the hard drive controller, not the system bus itself - that's a LOT slower, depending on the standard. Now this is what I don't know for certain, but I don't think the PS2 even uses Serial ATA, let alone something faster that would make use of that full 445 MBits/sec transfer speed. It would most likely be ATA in the region of 100MBits/sec. So yes it's still a lot faster but your stats could be misleading.

Now, to address some other issues:

If you can't wait for GT4 to be released then you are bound by faith to sacrifice a goat at midnight of the 5th of each month from now until GT4 is released.

Releasing the game on New Year's Day would win Sony and PD a trophy for "Worst Launch Since ET The Extraterrestrial". I'd also have to break into an Electronics Boutique, not something I want on my record.
 
Yo, Pimp Racer! Yeah, I saw that "X-Play" show you were talking about. I'll tell you. PD are some dedicated folks. So much so, that they can basically live there. It's almost like the PD place is like being on board a NASA Shuttle. Only thing is that you're not in space, so gravity is the same. But anyhow, love Gran Turismo or loathe Gran Turismo, you have to admit. PD been through so much and are so dedicated and are so much like family trying to work on this game and make it a hit. I want to grouo hug PD, but my arms can't reach as far as Japan. Not even Inspector Gadget could do such a thing!
 
Originally posted by JohnBM01
Yo, Pimp Racer! Yeah, I saw that "X-Play" show you were talking about. I'll tell you. PD are some dedicated folks. So much so, that they can basically live there. It's almost like the PD place is like being on board a NASA Shuttle. Only thing is that you're not in space, so gravity is the same. But anyhow, love Gran Turismo or loathe Gran Turismo, you have to admit. PD been through so much and are so dedicated and are so much like family trying to work on this game and make it a hit. I want to grouo hug PD, but my arms can't reach as far as Japan. Not even Inspector Gadget could do such a thing!
Yeah I know that was a such great show when they had GT4 there. You are right they are a big family and that family is gonna get bigger by GT5 hopefully.:D
 
Back