Car handles differently in practice and qualifying than in actual race.

• Thread starter jasguer
  • 55 comments
United States
Wisconsin
lowlyfe45
I just finished a rather dismal performance in the FIA Manufacturer Series at Interlagos where I was running 1:39.xxx consistently in practice. However, in qualifying, things got worse and I struggled to qualify 16th with a time of 1:41.xxx (I can’t remember the exact time.). In the actual race, the poo really hit the proverbial fan and it took everything I had just to keep the car, in this case a Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport ‘16, on the road. For example, in practice I could take turn 8 at around 52 and turn 9 around 60, in the race I couldn’t take turn 9 any faster than 55 otherwise I’d spin out and turn 13 where I normally run about 63-65, I couldn’t take any faster than 55 or so. On the last few laps I tried to drive just like I did in practice but nothing was working and it was like driving the car on ice. My best lap in the race was in the 1:42 range. I wish I had saved the replay so I could make sure it wasn’t my imagination and I’m certain it wasn’t “stage fright” or whatever but I was too frustrated and this has happened to me many times where the car’s handling is totally different between, practice, qualifying, and final. Anyone else experience anything similar to this? This has happened to me several times now in the past few weeks and it’s really starting to get annoying.

I agree with you this happens, but i believe the censuses will say its in our heads. I honestly treat it that way too because its not worth getting upset about.
I find that it mostly occurs between the qualifying whilst not queuing vs being queued.
If spending time doing a good qualifying time in qualifying mode, i will set an alarm to exit and queue up with maximum amount of time to see if i need to adjust.
Another reason to support a mentality issue would be the drafting affect during a race. Maybe we don't realise that we going around corners a bit quicker or with less down force.

I had a similar situation in a public lobby. We were qualifying in steady 56-57s laps, miatas, forget which track. And during the race the best lap posted was a 59. And, this was with boost on strong I later realized.

Fuel load. There’s no consumption, but there’s the weight.

That too! I forgot about that.

Do you think in qualifying mode (non queued) that the weight might not be there vs being queued? That would strongly support my experience.

I guess that's why i infrequently experience it as i rarely do the FIA and manufacturers. Good to know and thanks for the clarification.

Happened with me today on Maggiore West Gr4, time trial car handled fine, but during race, I noticed the car was overshooting corners, had to slow down a bit more than usual.

Rarely happens though.

I notice it sometimes, usually the first lap or so. The cars aren't as sharp as during time trial. Others here have mentioned it might be because of the amount of data being processed during a race as opposed to being alone. I get used to it and adjust, but I'm no pro. DR: B SR: S. Have fun !? Love this game !

Someone else put a thread up about the exact same issue, and there's one simply reason for the discrepancy. Physics. Extra fuel, tyre wear, traffic and concentration all play a role in influencing car speed. The more variables you remove, the easier it is to set fast times.

Placebo . It would be impossible to set near identical laps , which I do . I'm incredibly consistent and understand breaking distance is affected when your behind some one . I got 1.29.093 on The gr 4 Lake race in qualifying . First lap 1.32.045. Second lap ( first place ) 1.29.100.. Third lap 1.28.990 fourth lap 1.29.113 . My Range is 123 MS . With the largest deviating time being 103 MS . I got a faster lap because I decided to go wider on the third turn and got a lot more speed . I decided to play it safe on the last lap . Its all placebo . Target fixation is also a huge issue , people tend to fixate their focus on the car in front and mess up their line.

Placebo . It would be impossible to set near identical laps , which I do . I'm incredibly consistent and understand breaking distance is affected when your behind some one . I got 1.29.093 on The gr 4 Lake race in qualifying . First lap 1.32.045. Second lap ( first place ) 1.29.100.. Third lap 1.28.990 fourth lap 1.29.113 . My Range is 123 MS . With the largest deviating time being 103 MS . I got a faster lap because I decided to go wider on the third turn and got a lot more speed . I decided to play it safe on the last lap . Its all placebo . Target fixation is also a huge issue , people tend to fixate their focus on the car in front and mess up their line.

Huh? So you set a better lap in the race, fine... but as you say yourself: you picked a different line. If you went back to qualifying and used that line you would set a better time again.

Also (read the thread), it's not apparent in the dailies where tyre wear, fuel load and consumption are not a factor

Also (read the thread), it's not apparent in the dailies where tyre wear, fuel load and consumption are not a factor

Daily C race is usually with tyre wear and fuel consumption and fuel load is quite apparent.

There's other cars on track and the draft/dirty air is a significant factor in the handling of the cars. They did a good job of that detail.
Dirty air is not going to cost a Miata 2 seconds a lap and won't affect every single car in the race for the entirety of the race.

Daily C race is usually with tyre wear and fuel consumption and fuel load is quite apparent.
Yeah, but the issue is not apparent "in the dailies where tyre wear, fuel load and consumption are not a factor" (i.e A and B).

I was replying to the guy who was talking about his times for Maggiore gr4 last night (which was B)

Dirty air is not going to cost a Miata 2 seconds a lap and won't affect every single car in the race for the entirety of the race.

No, but it will upset the handling and then the driver will make mistakes from there. Also, there is the fuel load. Other cars on track will affect your lines, and we all know that will kill a lap time.

No, but it will upset the handling and then the driver will make mistakes from there. Also, there is the fuel load. Other cars on track will affect your lines, and we all know that will kill a lap time.
A Miata? I don't think so. And unless the cars are running nose to tail for the entire race airflow isn't going to affect every single car in the race for every lap. There has to be at least one car in clean air and if it's 2 seconds a lap faster, then the one behind it will follow and be 2 seconds faster...etc. Dirty air doesn't hold up as a logical explanation. Fuel is often used as an explanation but I've never seen concrete proof that that is it either. Easy enough to prove. Do some hotlaps in a Miata with near empty tanks, then fill them up and see what the difference is.

A Miata? I don't think so.

You're assuming driver skill and yes, the fuel weight makes a difference. Would you or I lose 2 seconds in a Miata? Maybe not. Anyway, the OP was looking for reasons for the difference. Dirty air, other drivers, and fuel load area reason.

It would be impossible to set near identical lap times, but you do it? What?

You're assuming driver skill and yes, the fuel weight makes a difference. Would you or I lose 2 seconds in a Miata? Maybe not. Anyway, the OP was looking for reasons for the difference. Dirty air, other drivers, and fuel load area reason.
I'm not assuming driver skill. In the case of the Miatas, driver skill is 57 seconds. In the race those same skills are 59 seconds a lap, no assumptions necessary. Dirty air won't cause that for every single driver on every lap so using that as an explanation won't fly. As I said, if fuel is worth 2 seconds a lap, and I highly doubt it, it's easy enough to demonstrate.

I'm not assuming driver skill. In the case of the Miatas, driver skill is 57 seconds. In the race those same skills are 59 seconds a lap, no assumptions necessary. Dirty air won't cause that for every single driver on every lap so using that as an explanation won't fly. As I said, if fuel is worth 2 seconds a lap, and I highly doubt it, it's easy enough to demonstrate.

I think fuel is worth 2 seconds. Even more sometimes. In daily C with Gr.1, I started lapping 1:43. After I stopped and changed tires, after 2 laps, with a lot less fuel, I started lapping 1:41. That should be even worse on weaker cars.

This happens in F1 too.

Just to clarify we aren't talking about the actual race in daily C wear consumption is in use??
We are talking about wear consumption is not being used but display different effects as @Nando deBem explained earlier.

Just to clarify we aren't talking about the actual race in daily C wear consumption is in use??
We are talking about wear consumption is not being used but display different effects as @Nando deBem explained earlier.

Yep... but just to show that, even with worn tires, I was 2 seconds quicker, because the lighter fuel load.

Yea agreed on that point, that is why i always race to an empty tank or where my tyres are losing me more than 2~3 seconds a lap of qualifying pace.

I find this a much better strategy than pitting at 50% race distance. I normally will set the fastest lap of race when i do this by a considerable amount. It is so much easier to pass people as i can place the car anywhere i want and still maintain speed. Especially in cars with that are good with tyres. NSX Gr4 (if only it had some straight line speed :( ) is a great example. I can normally get get to lap 7 without having to adjust to tyre wear too much. M4 is good too with tyres and had a higher range in fuel compared to the NSX prior to 1.11. Watching the TT and FWD cars struggle after 3 laps always makes me smile.

Yea agreed on that point, that is why i always race to an empty tank or where my tyres are losing me more than 2~3 seconds a lap of qualifying pace.

I find this a much better strategy than pitting at 50% race distance. I normally will set the fastest lap of race when i do this by a considerable amount. It is so much easier to pass people as i can place the car anywhere i want and still maintain speed. Especially in cars with that are good with tyres. NSX Gr4 (if only it had some straight line speed :( ) is a great example. I can normally get get to lap 7 without having to adjust to tyre wear too much. M4 is good too with tyres and had a higher range in fuel compared to the NSX prior to 1.11. Watching the TT and FWD cars struggle after 3 laps always makes me smile.
I don’t want to stray too far from the plot here, but I’d like to add that in a lot of the Daily C races, the undercut or overcut can work really well.

It would be impossible to set near identical lap times, but you do it? What?
well it's not that hard make identical laps
IMG_20160115_122544.jpg

the pic is from gt6 but anyway is possible on any game

I did identical lap times in my latest race video :).

I don't think there's a difference between practice and qualifying however there is a difference between qualifying and race. I believe this is fuel weight and if you are racing mid pack dirty air is a major factor. I'm not affected as much by the fuel load just due to my driving style but if you drive very aggressive you will see a considerable difference between times.

But to give you an idea I was constantly 1:22's (Mid) in practice last night in the Manufacturers cup at Brands hatch, in qualifying I was doing similar lap times and in the race I was doing high 22's and low 23's.

Back