**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 01/06/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the 17th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

I am still having issues with my internet and have yet to receive a response from the selected person so I am going to jump in and guess what they would have wanted...

Enzo_Guy suggested in last weeks thread that he was hoping for a Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67, so that is what we are going to get (that won't work every time though before you all start shouting...).

mercuryprev.jpg

A bit of American muscle to entertain us then, lets see how this turns out then. Drive my pretties, DRIVE!

Last edited:
Does the year matter cause i have a mercury cougar XR-7 '67

The 1967 model is the only one that's in the game. I think Turismo had a brain fart.:lol:

Anyway, my friend has a '67 Cougar. It's not an XR-7, and originally had a 289 in it. That engine had a rod shoot through the side of it, so we found a 302 out of an '89 Mustang and threw it in the engine bay. It's a fun car to drive on the many dirt roads around where I live, Dukes Of Hazard style.

Last edited:
-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"Get your racecraft organized. Have fun. But go about it in an organized way." -Sir Jackie Stewart

Week 17: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7

Before I begin, I must apologize for the delay. You see, whenever one divides up half their possessions, they usually bring their friends along. Shortly thereafter, more friends will arrive, dressed in fancy suits, and spilling the sorts of jargon you expect to hear from an insurance salesman. Before you know it, you'll find more hands in your wallet than the federal government, and absolutely nothing to show for it.

Thankfully, my efforts have apparently been rewarded. While I may have lost half my life, my soul, my house, my clothes, and my money, I finally get to experience the sort of luxury a man in my position needs... the sort of luxury that reminds you of exactly why you've worked so hard for so long. Better still, it's the sort of luxury the lawyers can't touch.

I've been promised a Merc.

SpecialStageRouteX-6.jpg

So you can imagine the shock to my system when I arrived at the office. When I was told it was a Merc, I secretly lusted for the SLS AMG, or perhaps a Black Series of some sort. Instead, I'm left with the alternative to a "secretary's car", the senior citizen of the Mustang. Much like today, badge engineering had found a successful formula to once again capitalize on. Sure the Cougar had enough differences, but being a Mercury, it was meant to appeal to a more mature audience. Audiences with a craving for hideaway headlamps, and other nonsense that couldn't be bothered with in a Mustang.

Ever since Mercury's founding, it's been a brand that's meant to bridge the gap between Ford and Lincoln, never mind it's later fusing with the latter. The trouble I have is why an entire brand was needed. Perhaps my way of thinking is too simplistic, or perhaps rational, but wouldn't it have made more sense to increase the options and pricing of upscale Fords, such as the Crown Victoria, as well as simplifying and expanding Lincoln. To quote a line from the movie Spinal Tap, "why not just take ten, and make it louder?"

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
Following its release in mid-1964, the Mustang went on to be a tremendous hit over the next two years. The next step which Ford took was the introduction of a premium model that utilized Mustang components. The result was the Mercury Cougar, released in 1967.

The Cougar’s wheelbase was extended 3 inches from the Mustang chassis, and a chic hardtop body was added on top.

The suspension was tuned to improve ride quality, and for the exterior, retractable headlights were added. It had many details that were appropriate for the high quality Mercury brand. The Cougar’s concept was to combine the quality of a Thunderbird, and the superb result is as expected.

While the Cougar was only available in a 2 door hardtop, two variations were made available: the base model and a higher-grade “XR-7” model. Furthermore, there was a sporty GT-E package, which could be combined with either the base model or the XR-7.

The standard engine in the 1967 model was the 197 HP, 289CI OHV V8. Available engine options included a 217 HP, 289 CI, a 320 HP, 390CI, and finally a powerful 330 HP, 390CI V8. The lack of a straight-6 engine option was intended to differentiate the Cougar from the Mustang.

The Cougar also competed in the famed SCCA Trans-Am racing series. In 1967, in commemoration of this, a limited number of Group 2 cars were sold, equipped with engines tuned to specs equal to the Shelby GT 350.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza-2.jpg

Upon arriving at the garage, I was introduced to Vincent, a former Mercury dealer, who would be prepping our pampered Mercury. Since 2011, Vincent really hasn't had much to do, and apparently the small paycheck we were giving helped him keep his house. Much like myself, he too is recently divorced, only his wife ran off with a doctor shortly after Mercury's demise. Naturally, we had much to talk about.

Our test driver was another matter entirely. Once again, our producer talked a good game and promised us a driver with actual racing experience. What he failed to mention, however, that this experience had never included anything remotely close to tarmac. Or that he was a bit cross-eyed. Or that he has two first names.

Sure enough, our rented "professional" was dressed entirely in camouflage, which I hear is indicative of his natural environment, a region simply known as "The South". Jim-Bob, I swear that's his actual name, has raced on just about everything but tarmac, including off-road monster trucks, swamp skiffs, and tractor pulls, and had even finished an event or two.

Miscellaneous-2.jpg

Jim-Bob- Ensuring The South has absolutely no chance of rising again. Ever.

Can someone explain why we don't just hire a monkey as our test driver and be done with it? Honestly, a baboon could just as easily accomplish our tests as the driver's we've hired, and they're a lot better smelling.
Producer
Well, we hired you, and that hasn't exactly worked out well, has it?

SpecialStageRouteX_1-5.jpg

Performance As Purchased: November 27, 2010, Onyx (Black)
Displacement: 6,391 cc
Max. Power: 320 hp @ 5,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 428 ft-lbs. @ 3,000 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,834 mm Height: 1,316 mm Weight: 1418 kg
Tires: Sports (Hard)
Performance Points: 462
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

With gear unpacked, Jim-Bob is familiarized with the Cougar while I'm sent off for an ice pack. Apparently our producer's nose is a bit sensitive to punches as my ego is to criticism. At least I felt better. Meanwhile, Vincent and his men went about the Mercury, nabbing 16 extra horsepower, 22 ft-lbs. of torque, and 7 more Performance Points. Incidentally, I've also been informed that our producer will need exactly 1 stitch-per-Performance Point, which outta teach the (expletive) a little something about manners.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 336 hp, Max. Torque: 450 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 469 PP

Despite the lack of tarmac experience, our southern driver managed to discover what grip was out on the track. In a great cloud of smoke, Jim-Joe-Billy-Bob managed a 0:13.611 quarter mile time, and 0:5.078 seconds to 60 mph. Once finished, the backwoods redneck decided to display his doughnut prowess, shredding the tires and ruining the wheels in the process. Vincent wasn't happy, and from the looks of things, neither was our producer.

Looks like someone will be missing a few more teeth.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:36.746, 0-100 mph: 0:11.478, Max. G-Force: 0.70G, Top Speed- 119.2 mph

TrialMountainCircuit.jpg

Once the tires had been repaired, it was finally my turn to take out the tarted up stallion through its paces. For our Trial, only an easy Mountain would do, filled with a mixture of gentle and complicated curves. In true spirit, the Cougar felt right at home with the other cars of its era, including the Mustang and Camaro. Although its suspension is a bit antiquated, it still remained compliant and competent, even a bit soft at times.

On paper, this car is just as competitive as any muscle car on the streets, then or today. Sure, it may not be loaded with the technology of the Mercedes I was originally hoping for, but it is comfortable without the harshness of the Mustang, or the sloppiness of the Camaro. After a few laps, I began to see why Ford thought this would sell. This is for buyers that have graduated from the straight-line high school, and moved on to something that's fundamentally better overall.

Think of this as the "cake and ice cream" car. With this car, you get the best of both worlds, luxury and performance. Even the styling reeks of testosterone. The front grill is like an electric shaver, for gods sake! This is a manly man's car, none of that fruit-foo-foo silliness offered by the other marks. Perhaps its only competitor would be something from Oldsmobile, but even that would be far too heavy to be considered competitive, not to mention they're notoriously uglier than a menstruating Nancy Grace.

SpecialStageRoute5-1.jpg

Despite falling in love with this car, I'm reminded of exactly why I'm not allowed to drive one on a daily basis. It's not because of irresponsibility, or costs of operation and maintenance or even finding spare parts. No, instead, the problem is the mirror.

You see, a man of my age simply can't be seen by the opposite sex in something like this, unless I plan on checking out the singles scene at my local nursing home. Women my age will think I'm compensating for something, and younger women just giggle to each other, thinking I'm some sort of pedophile. Hop on in, young lady, I've got some candy in the passenger seat, and I'm on my way to Justin Bieber's house to play on his xBoxes.

A car like this deserves so much more, but then again, so should Wayne Gretzky's trophies and awards. They deserve to be displayed and honored amongst manly men that understand things like hard work, sacrifice, and desire. Instead, they're locked up in the garage, only to be occasionally admired by adoring fans or lovingly polished, their glory long since faded.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS
Week 15: The Shelby Cars
Week 16: 1979 Honda Civic 1500 3door CX

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Sheplers. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. Please rinse after use. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Sorry, no C.O.D.s accepted. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. May cause drowsiness. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.

Ed. Note- R.I.P. Mercury (1938-2011)

Last edited:
At first this car didnt impress with the top speed but after driving with it at road course at daytona not like a typical muscle car this is brakes well not to much body roll and you drift this car cause it turns well and stays under control

Awesome car.. Love anything American Muscle and just like Totzke said this thing can handle. Nice pic also, any idea on the color?

I had one of these when I was a kid.

ford-mercury-cougar-superfast-matchbox.jpg

I think it's still In my old car box at my folks' house. I'm sure I've seen my son playing with it.

Yay, more American muscle for COTW!

Particularly good choice this one as it seems to get overlooked.

IMO this is one of the best looking US muscle cars in the game and I was looking forward to trying it out and getting some good photos.

First up was an oil change and then a trip round Laguna Seca. I lapped in 1:48 which isn't that great, but did demonstrate this is nice drive.

Then it was off for a paint job, and in keeping with my self imposed policy of trying to use the same manufacturer's paint I chose a metallic Turquoise.

With some new Rays Volk wheels I was ready to go, and it was off to Route X to try and get some good photos.

The whole lap took about 9:45 as the top speed is limited to about 118mph.

American muscle by dawn's early light.

This design hasn't dated too much I think.

Cheers

MustangManiac
The #9 with Barbosa in DP and the #88 with Taylor at the wheel in GT, 20 minutes to go

Sorry for going off topic but is it just me or do the gt cars look cheap compared to GTE cars they dont look like customer cars

1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7​

EifelCircuit.jpg

I did not have a stock example of this car to test and compare with, only my hot rod with the supercharger rated at 761hp/580pp. The times at the test track were:
1/4 mi....10.918
1.0 mi....28.416
0 - 60....3.207
max G.....1.11
max spd...213.0

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_6.jpg

A poor 1:16.839 at Deep Forrest was the best I could get, I just could not get this car to handle. So I tried somewhere a bit bigger, Trial Mountain, it didn't help much and I posted a lowly 1:31.374. OK, she is powerful and fast, where to next...Monza! Still no good, I don't know how many times I went off track trying to put together a best of ten lap run. I ended up with a 1:50.999, just a tick faster than my stock Ford GT-40 run.

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_7.jpg

Well , she has six wins to her credit, Bob must like her cause I know it wasn't with me behind the wheel. Probably just let him drive her to keep him out of my Mach 1 :indiff: So it was off to the race track to see what I could accomplish. Out at Cape Ring (outside) I got an easy win with a lap of 1:38.724. A late race slide off track while chasing down P1 at Eifel relagated me to P2 there with a lap of 1:45.877. Finding the old A-Spec seasonal a bit too easy I checked out the A-Spec extreme series at Laguna Seca.

As close as I was going to get to P3:
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_9.jpg

I cut through the field with ease at first finding myself in P4 at the end of lap two. Turning onto the front stretch for lap three I could see the red Mk4 speeding away, the 2J on top of the hill and who knows where the lead GTLM was, probably entering turn one by that point! So it was time to push, the old Cougar pushed back.

I spent too much time doing this...
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_10.jpg

...and this
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_11.jpg

...and even a little of this!
MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_12.jpg

So in the end I had to settle for P4 with a best lap of 1:28.975. Overall I found this car a thoroughly frustrating drive. Nothing wrong with the motor at all, she produced gobs of power and plenty of speed, just seemingly much more than the chassis could handle. I figured the Cougar would be near the performance of the GT-350 Shelby or the larger Mach-1 that I have maxed out, but she was nowhere near that level. No matter what I did I could not get a real handle on the chassis. If I finessed her with speed through the corners the front end would push out, if I tried to muscle her through them like the Mustang and Camaro the rear end would get out from beneath me. It was really kind of exasperating having the power and speed at hand and not being able to employ effectively. I am sure I am not the best driver on GT5, but I usually do not have this problem, especially with the muscle cars. Bob can have her, I am going back to my mustang! Till next week :cheers:

1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7

Ford puts the cat among the ponies.

_Cougar67_SSR7_3.jpg

Bringing muscle to their mid market Mercury brand, Ford used the Mustang as a base to build this cool looking coupe with bold styling features; the XR-7 having had the higher trim spec. I only have one of these in my garage, which came in a turqouise-like 'Trafalgar Blue', and after rebuild showed 335 BHP and 469pp. I haven't checked in-game, but a quick search leads me to believe this would be the highest spec 390cu (6.4L) for the year.

I thought a good first outing for the Cougar would be a crack at the 500pp seasonal on the Cape Ring Periphery, where the AI drivers' inability to negotiate the spiral section should make up for my performance deficit. Staying with the default SH tyres the Cougar quickly proves to be yet another surprising performer.

_Cougar67_CapePeriphery_3.jpg

In common with most of the muscle cars, the top end power figure doesn't reveal the full story, it is the track-ripping mid range torque that rapidly and inexorably pushes speedo needle over the 100mph mark. Also in common with many muscle cars, the relatively low gearing that helps this acceleration leads us to top out below 120mph. However, on this track it is barely an issue as I find I have to break shortly after limiter bounces on the s/f straight.

_Cougar67_CapePeriphery_1.jpg

I can only assume the in-game car is fitted with the optional GT pack that firmed up the suspension and handling; to me it felt similar to previous Car of the Week, the '69 Camaro Z28, but perhaps not quite as tight and with a bit more understeer. I soon adopted the driving style of: brake early...slightly exaggerated turn-in...subtle drift through the bend to counter the understeer...power! While this may not the most efficient style, it is certainly fun and effective when using the DS3 and muscle combination. Two attempts at the 3-lap Cape race gave me a repectable and enjoyable 4th place and best lap of 1:59.149.

The Cougar's tendancy to light up its rears, gave me the idea of trying the HSR drift trial; so on with comfort hards and off to a different Ring. After four or five attempts, I beat the gold score (9000) by a mere 50 points. It was an excellent and controllable drifter on the slower S-bend, but a bit more tricky in the high speed corners - not quite enough power I think.

_Cougar67_HighSpeedRing_1.jpg

Trial Mountain on SH tyres came in at 1:46.2 (compared with Z28 Camaro 1:42.5, SS Camaro 1:47.8), so perhaps not as tight as the Z28, but most of that time was lost on the long straight by the limited top speed.

_Cougar67_TM_3.jpg

Finally, I took the big cat for a run around 'Windy Hill', my Mt Aso based test track. Again, some of the corners seemed best dealt with in a drift and the steep hill section caused a lot of wheel spinning as it proved difficult keep up momentum through the sweeper into the uphill. Best lap was just over 1:11, for reference my fastest laps are 1:01.xxx in Skyline R34 TC and RX7 TC - all laps SH tyres.

_Cougar67_SSR7_16.jpg

Not quite the mountain lion, but a decent enough performer on the twisties even though it was built for the quarter mile. For more serious track use it would need a custom tranmsission to increase the top speed, would benefit from suspension work I expect, and there's plenty of power to be had out of the V8 - I noted MustangManiac's supercharged 700+BHP!

_Cougar67_SSR7_8.jpg

I am still trying to find it in my UCD for a stock version, no luck so far. Maybe I will pop off the supercharger and see what happens.

I am still trying to find it in my UCD for a stock version, no luck so far. Maybe I will pop off the supercharger and see what happens.

I can put mine on share if you want a go in the stock. Send me an FR if you want: PSN woodski427 (no underscore), I should get on around 8pm BST tonight.

MustangManiac

I had to call in a favor, as the one I already had was previously modified.

Im gonna have to do two reviews tonight just to catch up. The F1 schedule likely won't help.

Back