**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 08/06/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the 18th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

Now last week I gave the choice to Enzo_guy, but didn't get a response in time. I did an honorary nomination from a post he did previously and that was last weeks car. I did get a response, albeit belated, and would have moved on to the next choice had I not been blown away by the work that went into it. I will publish it below for you, I am sure you will agree it is an amazing start to this weeks COTW. Great, great work Enzo_guy!

Oh, and to clear something up, I use the DD/MM/YY format as that is what we use in the UK and I believe most of the rest of the world. Sorry to my 'merican friends if it confuses you!

Last edited:
"I'm so sorry I haven't been online recently! I've been so busy I haven't been on the forum, my sincerest apologies about that or otherwise I would have responded ASAP. To make up for it, I'll roll out a good one (difficult since every car you've done is in my favorites already haha) you can use in the future and I'll throw some background info/history in to save you some time.

'67 Prince Skyline 2000GT-B
This unassuming 4-door saloon is often considered the original racing legend in the Skyline family. Though it lacked the later GT-R moniker that would be made famous by the C10's 50 wins, the S54 delivered a similar Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the racing world in 1964.
There had been a pact between the Japanese carmakers that they would hold the first Japan Grand Prix in 1963 with none of them using cars developed strictly for racing. Prince, ironically enough, was actually the only company to adhere to this and therefore got their arses whipped with their S50 Skyline (seen in this game as the '63 Skyline 1500 Deluxe). They vowed that next year would not be a repeat and immediately set about designing a car with no purpose other than winning the '64 Japan GP. Theresult was nothing short of spectacular.
Clearly the 1484cc 4-cylinder was not up to par; it had an undersquare design (longer stroke than bore) which provided excellent low-end torque but did not allow it to rev to the speeds needed for racing. There are two main ways to make horsepower for racing: more displacement and more RPM, so Prince saw "both" as the best option. The 1988cc inline-6 that sat in the Gloria was chosen for its larger capacity and perfectly square bore/stroke ratio, now the issue was getting it into the tiny Skyline. For this, Prince added 8 full inches (20cm) ahead of the firewall in order to accommodate the larger Gloria G7 SOHC engine. The earlier GT-A version had a single carburetor good for 105hp; this proved so popular that Prince released a GT-B version (the one in GT5) sporting 3 Weber 2-barrel carburetors and making 125hp! Couple all that engine to a 5-speed manual backed by an LSD unit and you've got a serious piece of 4-door machinery for the '60s!
So, how did it do in the race? It lost again, at least in a literal sense. The winning car of the '64 Japan GP at Suzuka was a Porsche 904 and if you're familiar with '60s European racing or early Porsche history then you'll instantly recognize this as a prototype 2-seater GT car that was a proverbial sledgehammer with which Porsche was hitting everyone over the head with at places like Nurburgring, Sebring, Spa, and many other acclaimed events. The Skyline took 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th behind the single 904 in 1st place. Imagine it is 1964 and you are the Porsche team: you are watching your hardcore prototype racing machine being chased around Suzuka for hours by an army of Japanese 4-door saloons! The Porsche was forced to drive a nearly perfect race just to stay ahead, finishing in 1st place by an incredibly small margin considering the cars behind it! A modern metaphor would be a Ford GT being given a run for its money by a Hyundai Sonata, everyone would be watching the laws of physics being broken! The Skyline S54 was truly a very special car and quite often overlooked in GT5 for its newer brethren, which is sad because it is one of the most entertaining historic cars to drive.

Replica Skyline GT

I've spent considerable time tuning a '67 Skyline of mine to match the original '64 race car as closely as I could (based on info and specs I have of the real thing). I thought it might be fun to share it for once!
For the color I chose Isca Blue, it comes off of the '62 BLRA-2 Skyline although several other Nissan colors are very similar.
For the engine, install the stage 3 upgrade and full racing exhaust (should land right about 165hp). For the weight, I have stage 3 reduction and +59kg ballast to net 990kg. For the drivetrain I left the driveshaft and transmission stock while installing a single-plate clutch, semi-racing flywheel, and LSD. Suspension will require a fully customizable kit.
Tires: Racing Hard
LSD: 5/20/10
Ride Height: -15/-15
Spring Rate Front: 5.4
Spring Rate Rear: 4.2
Dampers Front: 4/4
Dampers Rear: 3/3
Sway Bar Front: 3
Sway Bar Rear: 1
Camber Front: 2.0
Camber Rear: 1.0
Toe: 0.00
Brakes: 1/1 (turn off ABS)
So far my record on Suzuka with that setup is 2:35.993 on my G27 (aids/ABS off).

Here's my GT5 photo album:
http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/j...ran Turismo/
Feel free to use any of my '67 Skyline pics or any other car pics I have for future COTW threads!

EigerNordwandShortTrack_19.jpg

EigerNordwandShortTrack_18-1.jpg

EigerNordwandShortTrack_17-1.jpg

EigerNordwandShortTrack_16-1.jpg

EigerNordwandShortTrack_15-1.jpg
"

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"We're in Monaco. A kiss is only appropriate." -Rob Smedley

Week 18: 1967 Prince Skyline 2000GT-B

I must admit, taking a month off from work does wonders for the soul. Once you return, however, the damage is done once again. Because you've been gone so long, you now have a mountain of work to attend to, all of which must be completed before your employer has finished interviewing your replacement. Of course, when your employer takes a month off, he isn't likely to encounter the same difficulties, simply because he specifically delegated those tasks to you before he left.

It's good to be the king.

After returning to test an ill-advertised Merc, and the subsequent assault charges that followed, both my employer and the judge decided it was probably best to take another day off, and reflect upon the circumstances which brought us to that point. Although I've left my childhood far behind, it seems that today's legal system has it's own built-in "go to your room and think about what you've done" prescription, of which I've been directed to follow.

SpecialStageRoute5_2.jpg

Based on recent events, I half expected to find our producer lurking in the shadows, ready to come at me for revenge from the unlikeliest places. Could he be in the cupboard? The refrigerator? Psychologically, over the course of one day, I'd pictured our producer going from John Denver to Cato.

Instead, I found him at the garage, taking delivery of our next car, the 1967 Prince Skyline. Rather than homicidal anger, he was in a rather jovial mood, although I haven't the foggiest notion why. It wasn't as if we were testing some sort of hypercar made of science fiction unobtanium from an asteroid.

Instead, we've been given the earliest example of the Nissan Skyline in our collection. Children of the Playstation generation will certainly know the name "Skyline", as they alone have elevated the car from a relatively unknown status to the second coming of Christ. While fads are nothing new, it is rather surprising how much demand has been generated simply from a video game. To put this into perspective, it'd be like discovering the works of Michael Jackson through Rock Band, or the benefits of hallucinogens through Grand Theft Auto.

Almost overnight, children in far off lands discovered the wonder of a single car, all from a video game, and that sparked enough desire to keep the model running today, albeit in a much different form. Years later, most of those same children can rattle off almost every statistic and factoid about the car, despite never having actually driven it in real life. So I guess in this case, it'd be almost like discovering Michael Jackson's songs through a video game, and using another person's ears.

SpecialStageRoute5_1.jpg

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
Prince, who entered the first Japan GP held on the Suzuka Circuit with an almost stock Skyline Sports, had failed miserably.

"This will leave a blemish on the Prince name..." With that thought in mind, a project was initiated aiming for the GP of the following year. The result was a groundbreaking new machine, based on the lightweight, compact sedan, the Skyline 1500. With its wheel base and nose extended by 7.8 inches, and packed with a 6 cylinder 2L engine from the Gloria, the car was named the Skyline GT.

The Skyline GT was already a monster just with the combination of this chassis and engine, but the options were impressive as well. At the pinnacle of this was the three double choke Weber carburetors, 6 barrels, for 6 cylinders. The resulting power output was 123 HP, with a maximum speed of 112 mph. the 4 speed floor shift gearbox was given a 5th gear overdrive, and a limited slip differential and oil cooler was added, putting in everything required in a competition machine with no compromise. the later nicknamed "Ska-G" that appeared on the Suzuka wreaked havoc on the circuit, driven by the famous "7 Samurai" drivers of Prince. At one point, while being driven by Tetsu Ikuzawa it even miraculously overtook the Porsche 904 which is a pure racing car.

As if to commemorate this incredible run, a Skyline 2000GT with all the optional high performance features built in was released in February 1965. this was the GT-B. The standard spec model was then called the GT-A. and this was the first step in the history of aspirations, that lead up to the future GT-R.

There's always more to a story, especially when that story is told by some pimply-faced teenager that's never kissed a girl, let alone talked to one. For instance, the Skyline had both station wagon and pickup truck variants, neither of which we'll be testing. They also will point out the lineage between this car and the R35 "Skyline", which actually isn't a real Skyline, having become its own model separately. Now, the GT-R is its own model, and the Skyline an Infinity model.

In 1955, the Skyline was introduced by a company known as Prince Motor Company. Prince later merged with Nissan in 1966, one year before our test sample, with Nissan incorporating both the Skyline and Gloria models into their own lineup. The first GT-R Skyline appeared in 1969, only lasting 4 years until its reintroduction in 1989 with the R32 model. After the R34, Nissan decided the Skyline should be offered overseas, and informed Infiniti dealers that they'd soon have the halo car they'd been clamoring for, assuming the GT-R designation would also follow.

Instead, Nissan kept the GT-R nameplate for itself, sending thousands of dealers into fits of fury, and deafening cries of "foul". Infiniti got their Skyline, named the G35 in the US, while Nissan unveiled the next generation hypercar that would be its halo car, not Infiniti's. Yet another fine example of "be careful what you wish for."

I've seen Skylines up close and personal. I've talked with actual owners, and had a chance to walk around the cars. Honestly, I'm not sure what all the big fuss is about, but hopefully this test in this car will begin to shed some light. Is the demand actually justified, or should I follow Public Enemy's advice, and "don't believe the hype?"

SpecialStageRouteX-7.jpg

Before we can get this party started, we first must meet the cast of characters that our producer has entrusted with this cultural phenomenon. Rather than rely on service from a man with a silly haircut, as we did with our last Nissan, we've brought in actual mechanics from the factory... well, from Nissan at least, as Prince has since long left us.

Thankfully, Nissan has enough foresight to predict the inevitable language barrier that often comes with import cars, and has loaned us a team from their American offices. In charge is a rather large man by the name of Steve, whom I'm told is quite brilliant when it comes to the restoration of classic Nissans. According to the correspondence we've received from a Mr. Ghosen, Steve has the unique ability of assembling a 370Z from nothing but a parts bin, sans instructions.

jq_TIG4t_Pm_EUsfm_CWk_O2_0.jpg

Frank- our po-po to go-go. Image Source

As for our driver, our producer has hired yet another "qualified" individual from the local drag strip, named Frank. It seems Frank is a member of the local police department, and has been participating in the local drag races for over 5 years. When he's not flying down the strip in the fastest manner possible, he's doing the same on public streets as a member of the Highway Patrol.

Look, say what you want, but the only thing I really care about is the fact that he's more interested in the car than me. Considering our previous encounters with various forms of law enforcement, the faster this thing is over, the better.

SuzukaCircuit-1.jpg

Performance as Purchased: April 14, 2011, Caroline Red (Red)
Displacement: 1,988 cc
Max. Power: 119 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 119 ft-lbs. @ 4,500 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,235 mm Height: 1,405 mm Weight: 1095 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 342
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

Having practically a clean slate to work with, Steve gave our Skyline the once over, declaring the car fit for both road and track. He also pointed out that the interior retained the same smells as when it rolled off the assembly line, and marveled how a car could last so long. Our secret? Lots of plastic, and lots of duct tape. With only an oil change and a bath, Steve produced and extra 6 ft-lbs. of torque, 6 horses, and 6 Performance Points... which Steve insists aid the windshield wipers in deflecting insects as well as rain. I'm not exactly sure how that's of any use, but Steve seems adamant that they're very important.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 125 hp, Max. Torque: 125 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 348 PP

Once the car was sorted, we strapped Frank into the Skyline tighter than an infant with an overbearing mother. After he familiarized himself with the car's interior and controls, Frank pulled to the line and gave us the thumbs up, signaling his readiness to begin. Less than a minute later, Frank gave us a 0-60 mph time of 0:10.213, and a quarter mile in only 0:17.940.

Finally, a driver that can deliver. For once we actually have a skilled driver behind the wheel, and one that practices his talents on a daily basis. Why can't we just hire him permanently?
Producer
You can pay him directly from your salary
As I was saying, absolutely useless driver! I've seen more inspiring drives from Jeremy Mayfield on the way to the pharmacy!
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:44.776, 0-100 mph: 0:29.462, Max. G-Force: 0.47G, Top Speed: 122.2 mph

SuzukaCircuit_1.jpg

Despite our tight logistical schedule, I was able to fit in a few laps with the car at the famous Suzuka Circuit in Japan. Given its racing lineage, the track only seemed appropriate, and although I wasn't able to compete in the car, my time was certainly enjoyable... but I haven't exactly figured out why, and that bothers me.

As a critic I'm supposed to educate you, the reader, as to the pros and cons of every vehicle I test. Not to give our producer any ideas, but if I can't do that one simple task, I've failed. Instead, I think the problem is with the car... or rather, that it isn't.

I know this is getting very confusing, which is exactly why I'm having such problems with it, but follow my train of thought and you should be able to understand why.

During cornering, the car has a lean that looks and feels a bit bothersome and slow. It should tip over, or at the very least tiptoe to the edge, then right off of the track and into a wall. It should. But it doesn't. It's freakishly tall headroom should be an off-putting design flaw, thanks to the metric tons of wasted space and awkward styling. But it, too, doesn't. The squishy tires should give out faster than your grandmother's hip, but they don't.

I could go on and on and on about how wrong this car is... except it isn't. Not even in the slightest!

Love_Symbol_by_LastBlackAstronaut.png

You don't have to be rich to appreciate the way this car works. You have to be cool to be seen behind the wheel, but as I mentioned about the roof line, it couldn't hurt. There's no particular sign, rhyme or reason why it works, but it does, beautifully. I just want your extra time, and your... waitaminute...

What enables all of these things to happen isn't black magic, nor is it something that can be engineered into a car. The Skyline has character, which puts it miles ahead of much faster cars, most of which are from Germany. No Audi or Mercedes is going to bring a smile to your face by not working or looking right. When the Germans get something wrong, it typically looks and feels as if it has no soul at all... but then again they also have that feel when they work as well. No little red corvette is going to provide as much fun, either, because they'll be stuck on the shoulder of the road with a police officer.

If you don't believe in the magic of this car, then perhaps you should ask my wife. Or my ex-wife... or whatever. One sight of me in this Skyline, and within minutes we'd made plans for dinner, and hopefully a chance to reconcile.

I think I finally get it now.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS
Week 15: The Shelby Cars
Week 16: 1979 Honda Civic 1500 3door CX
Week 17: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications, to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. For ticket information, please include a S.A.S.E. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of OP. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. Please rinse after use. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Sorry, no C.O.D.s accepted. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. May cause drowsiness. Check your local listings for times and dates. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.

Last edited:
Had a lot of fun with this car last night. Hope to have a good tune for it, but for now a lot of pictures :dopey:

autumnringminik.jpg

autumnringmini1.jpg

autumnringmini2z.jpg

autumnringmini3.jpg

autumnringmini4.jpg

autumnringmini6.jpg

caperinginside.jpg

caperinginside1.jpg

caperinginside2.jpg

highspeedringq.jpg

highspeedring1l.jpg

tsukubacircuiti.jpg

tsukubacircuit1y.jpg

Sorry for all the pics, but it looks good....right?

This had to be one of the few pre 1980 cars in the game that I did not have, but guess what just showed up in my UCD after racing the seasonals this morning 👍

Has anyone done an engine or chassis restoration yet? My wife and I have a bet going.

I'm thinking, if you get the restoration done here, it'll turn into this:

Can anyone confirm this and make me $20?

krenkme
Had a lot of fun with this car last night. Hope to have a good tune for it, but for now a lot of pictures :dopey:

Sorry for all the pics, but it looks good....right?

Loving that car bro. Sometimes your car doesn't have to be all fast/cool looking to look good. 9/10.

Jr6422
Loving that car bro. Sometimes your car doesn't have to be all fast/cool looking to look good. 9/10.

Thanks. I am really liking the look and the ride of this car. It is very enjoyable :cheers:

1967 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-B

The shape of things to come!

SkylineGTB-67_Eiger_6.jpg

Another interesting classic for CotW 👍. I didn't know much about this Skyline, particularly its racing pedigree (thanks to Enzo_Guy's write-up). I've got one in the garage but never used it, having eschewed it for its older and younger relations. Maybe because the styling is rather plain: from the side it could be any sixties saloon (sedan) - it reminded me if of a slightly stretched HA Vauxhall Viva. The (mk1 Cortina style) round rear lights and chrome give it some character but the twin headlights show it means business, even if it lacks the scowl of the BLRA-3 and and C10.

It could be anything...
SkylineGTB-67_TrialMountain_3.jpg

I also didn't know this had the (now infamous) 2.0L straight-six under the bonnet: now I'm not going to get carried away, but I do love a straight-six - how the sound can go from a silky purr to a screaming howl. They are so much more...refined than a dirty great V8 :lol:. Now I was look forward to having a drive.

My example is in Caroline Red and after a vist to GT Auto the numbers came out at 128 BHP, 1095Kg and 351pp. First stop was a few test laps at Trial Mountain. Inevitably, I think, I was comparing the Skyline to previous CotW, the Isuzu 117 Coupe, and sure enough the experience was not too dissimilar. With comfort Soft there is good turn-in, slight understeer into power oversteer, and the compliant suspension means there are not really any surprises. I would say the oversteer and correction come more easily to the Skyline and perhaps feels slightly less grippy overall, but the two really are very similar.

Classic handling
SkylineGTB-67_TrialMountain_6.jpg

The Skyline has a fairly peaky power delivery and the revs need to be kept over 4800 on the track, but this is nicely occassioned by the close ratio transmission. This means your Trial Mountain lap is quite a bit busier than in the Isuzu, with its more torquey delivery.

Trial Mountain times at 128 BHP 1095Kg 351pp:

Comfort Soft (stock) 1:57.1, Sports Hard 1:55.2, Comfort Hard 2:05.1

I did a few laps in the Isuzu 117 and did a 1:56.5 in the stock car with CS. Nothing in it really but I did actually prefer the Isuzu - I think they could make some close and interesting racing.💡

Nothing between them!
SkylineGTB-67_Tsukuba_4.jpg

Next I tuned it up to 160BHP with Air and Exhaust parts, and 'CPU' changes, and added the fixed sports suspension. A big improvement in handling with less roll and pitch, and the car now seems quite quick, but is obviously more prone to drifting the backend.

I went back to a couple of the old Japanese Classics seasonals: had a bit of a struggle at Tsukuba, coming fifth, but at Toscana it was a pretty easy second, a long way behind the Dome. I also tried the current FR 500pp at Mt Aso, and managed an entertaining ninth after battling with a couple of much more powerful but lardy moderns.

Historic line up.
SkylineGTB-67_Tsukuba_1.jpg

A good classic car this, with sleeper looks and plenty of potential it could surprise the unsuspecting. Maybe it does not overshadow its in-game contemporaries but there is no mistaking that this is the beginning of a mighty dynasty.

SkylineGTB-67_Eiger_1.jpg

I think I'm going go and give this Enzo_Guy's period racing setup...

Last edited:
For those interested, I was also able to find a video of the '64 Japan GP with some awesome shots of the Skylines chasing the Porsche!

Enzo_Guy
For those interested, I was also able to find a video of the '64 Japan GP with some awesome shots of the Skylines chasing the Porsche!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QscEF5WGt-E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QscEF5WGt-E[/URL]">YouTube Link</a>

I'm gonna check that out after work!

I had a quick go with a variation on Enzo_Guy's period race setup at Suzuka.

I was a bit short on time so I just did stage 1 weight reduction and stage 1 engine tune on my exisitng car, which has sports exhaust components, sports air components and CPU. This gave 164? BHP. I set up the suspension and diff according to Enzo_Guy's post, but set brake bias to F3/R1 (a good starting point for me on most cars).

I did 5 or 6 laps using DS3 and got a best of 2:35.833.

I like the setup - feels tight but still nicely compliant and it's easy to get into the rhythm of Suzuka. It does seem right a home. My only issue really is the RH tyres: I think there is too much grip for the car (and the period), and the tyres possibly disguise the true handling characteristics. They would probably make for fun online racing or a full-on time attack though.

I'm looking forward to trying this setup on SH or CS to see how it fairs. I'm not after uber-realism by the way, I just prefer driving with lower grip tyres - it's more fun and involving. I find the race tyres can be too much.

1967 Skyline 2000 GT-B

GrandValleyEast_8.jpg

The car I found came rated at 114hp/337pp and after oil change was 120hp/343.

DeepForestRaceway_1.jpg

Out at the test track she posted these times:
1/4 mi....18.115
1.0 mi....45.351
0 - 60.....10.538
to 100.....31.125
max G......0.47
max Spd...121.1

GrandValleyEast_2.jpg

With a mild tune: ecu, intake & exhaust, skip the trans (the stock one seemed tight enough) upgrade the rest of the drive train she came in at 160hp/377pp and posted these times at the test track:
1/4 mi....16.299
1.0 mi....40.910
0 - 60....7.985
to 100....21.737
max G......0.64
max Spd...132.1

GrandValleyEast_3.jpg

Out at Deep Forrest for my usual best of ten laps the stock ride posted a 1:44.481 while the tuned one ran a 1:32.113. Like Woodski, this car reminded me of the Isuzu so I went back and checked my times with that car which bested the stock Skyline right about a half second with a 1:43.958 while the tuned versions swapped positions by only a tenth with the Isuzu posting a 1:32.219. Very close indeed, I bet that would make a great race!

GrandValleyEast_5.jpg

The first thing I noticed was that the trans would probably be fine for the track at least as long as I kept the tuning mild. She had a fair amount of body roll, but that is to be expected with stock street cars, especially of this vintage. What really blew me away was the brakes, I spent the first couple of laps just adjusting my braking points closer to the turns each time around as I wasn't expecting nearly as much braking ability from a stock car, again, especially one of this vintage. Once I installed the adustable suspension and lowered her all the way down to reduce the body roll I was able to trail brake nearly to the apex in many corners, you could tell that this car was meant to be driven!

GrandValleyEast_6.jpg

At this point I couldn't wait to get out on the track so it was off to Grand Valley East, an older 400pp A-spec event. The stock ride didn't fair so well, but she was giving up nearly 60pp to the opposition. I finished 8th with a best lap of 1:32.585. I did have some fun close racing with the back half of the pack though.

GrandValleyEast_7.jpg

Now it was time to get down to business even though the tune was still about 25pp shy of the top rank. I ran much better with this version posting a best lap of 1:20.533, 12 full seconds better than stock. I also finished much better, P2 and running down the leader, another lap and I think I would have had him.

GrandValleyEast_9.jpg

For me, this is what COTW is all about, finding an old car that most wouldn't look twice at and going out and having a good time. The real bonus is finding some hidden gems like this, I had a blast with this car! Now I am going to have to go tear up the rest of the 400pp seasonals and see what she can do.

My one of these had already been modified with some weight reduction and engine stage 1 as well as a high rpm turbo. This gave me 198bhp and 975kg for 413 pp.

I think I did all that ages ago for a seasonal event, but I can't really remember.

First up was a lap round Suzuka on sports hard tyres where I posted a time of 2:40.xxx

It's a nice car with an interesting history

Next it was off to GTAuto for the now customary paint job. In the end I chose the Nissan LeMans Sunset Pearl Metallic.

Considering this and the race this weekend, there's only one place to go next.

I ended up taking 5:27 to get round La Sarthe.

Another good choice for COTW.

Back