**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 10/02/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the first ever of our soon to become weekly series of CAR OF THE WEEK!

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car, give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

This is an experimental idea and the format is subject to change or development. The picking of the cars is still under discussion and any offers of help with this from anyone who has more GTPlanet experience than me (which is pretty much everyone!) would be very much appreciated.

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

images

The Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V '01.

This is a car that is currently available in the Online Collectors Dealership, and is a beautiful and iconic car with a long history. Yet it is so underused and appreciated on GT5 that I could only find 1 GT5 picture of it on google!

Let the racing, painting, tuning, photographing, testing, reviewing and driving begin!

Ok I like the sound of this...

Fresh purchase and an Oil change done...

Speed test first up;

Spec is 227 Bhp 1450Kg and 402 pp on Comfort softs...

Tests give; (TC=0 & foot flat start)
0-60 7.609
0-100 17.810
1/4 mile 15.835
1 mile 38.692

So its slow ;)

Lots of work to be done - and will take it racing too :)

I'll give this car a shot. Been lookin for a reason to drive an Alpha.

Could pick random cars out of the OCD every week, so everyone can get the car. It would also help narrow down the list to make picking the car of the week a little easier.

Here is a video of the 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider. It's of the 2.0 TS model, because I couldn't find one for the 3.0. It does give people an idea of how the top works and what the interior looks like, though.

Edit: Found a 3.0 clip:

I like those aftermarket rims on that car.

Last edited:
I took this car completely stock around the Nurburgring today, and I managed a lap time of 08:49.331, that's fast enough to put me on the top(for now)of the leaderboard in this car on GTP's very own Nurburgring Lap Times thread. I have mixed feelings on the looks, but I think it handles surprisingly well. I hope this thread and idea gets more attention, as it's a good way to make GT5 even more fun and interesting! If anyone is up for a spec race(completely stock, oil change only) race with these cars sometime, as in tonight or tomorrow, let me know as I'd be glad to host.

There's one in the online car dealer for those that don't have it. I think it's around 45,000 credits, but I don't really remember right now.

lowwatt
Are you kidding me? I hate that car

Thats the whole point of this in the first place, to drive a car you normally never would, no matter what you think of it.

I tried both the GTV coupe and the Spider in GT4 last. The specs don't seem convincing - a 1450kg FF car does not exactly sound like a happy drive - but back then, they actually felt remarkably good. Mind you, I think the soft top on the Spider ruins the look a lot. The GTV looks a lot better. ...And even then, I can find much better looking Alfas. Should have gone for the old Spider, to be honest. :P

No offence but that was a pretty weak reason for choosing the Alfa... By that logic whatever the most recent Toyota Corolla featured in the game is should be next week's as that is no doubt under-appreciated but the AE86 was an awesome car.

Still, I don't think I've ever tried my one of whatever this car was (already forgotten, it was an Alfa 3 something, right?) so maybe I will, I have been surprised before after all. Not a fan of FF Alfas though.

I always thought it was an interesting little car, but I don't like FF cars, which is why I prefer the beautiful Spider 1600 Duetto from '66 over this Afla. I got a chance to actually see the Duetto once in my small town before, beautiful car.

As far as it's power goes, 219 is quite good for an FF car. I think I'll try taking it for a spin sometime today.

It's fat.

I've put mine in touch with Richard Simmons. Those two deserve eachother.

Actually, I've driven several Alfas, and have been surprised by most of them (some good, some bad). Once I get done with my other projects, I'll give this one a spin and will put up some photos.

Surely there's some trick photography... maybe some makeup.... I'll figure out some way to slim this tubby B into submission.

I wish we could do some Cars that have more of an impact than this. There is really no need to race this piece. Just my opinion

ActionJackson7
I wish we could do some Cars that have more of an impact than this. There is really no need to race this piece. Just my opinion

I think your missing the point just slightly.

I'm pretty sure you can still drive whatever you want, so long as it's in the game.

By the way, aren't first world problems great?!?

All I am saying is that this is a great idea and we are gonna waste a week on this car? Whats next the Honda Insight? Its just as arbitrary as the Alfa.

All I am saying is that this is a great idea and we are gonna waste a week on this car? Whats next the Honda Insight? Its just as arbitrary as the Alfa.
Definitely missing the point.
Turismo M.G.
A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car, give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

This should be about driving some of the 900+ cars in the game that most would never drive not driving the short list of cars that get 90% of the wheel time anyways.

Will this Alfa ever be a top contender in any online races or some time trial? Probably not but that doesn't have to mean it can't be fun to drive. And who knows maybe at some point someone will create an event that it can be competitive in...say a FF convertible racing series or some such.

Now I need to go pull one out of the back of my garage and see what sort of creative tune and use I can put it to.:D:tup:👍

XDesperado67
Definitely missing the point.

This should be about driving some of the 900+ cars in the game that most would never drive not driving the short list of cars that get 90% of the wheel time anyways.

Will this Alfa ever be a top contender in any online races or some time trial? Probably not but that doesn't have to mean it can't be fun to drive. And who knows maybe at some point someone will create an event that it can be competitive in...say a FF convertible racing series or some such.

Now I need to go pull one out of the back of my garage and see what sort of creative tune and use I can put it to.:D:tup:👍

I understand "this" concept of the idea but how can you justify a week of dialogue on a car that doesnt have much potential. I would think that you can make a seasonal event for any car.

I look at it like this in terms of boxing you have weight classes. Analyzing a particular fighter (car) in a particular weight (class) is completely irrelevant. Why not find a car in the (900+) that has potential that most of us didnt know. Like a fighter who can fight in several weight classes competitvely. Wouldnt that be more appealing/intriguing.

Instead we have a car that may be competitve for a race FF convertible with the top down on a tuesday night.

What if we did three cars per week and had three classes that pertain to actually committing to the subject(car).

I was going to follow along with these and tune each one as we go but here is the first one and i did all i could do just to buy the thing.

I own a gs300 so lets do that car next? Its too arbitrary on how we choose this.

Sounds like fun and I actually have one of these. I just have to have all of the Alfas. I'll run it around TGTT and post my findings.

Thanks TMG, I never drove this car before, and this gave me a good excuse to give it a go! I actually bought this car a little over a year ago now, and had to spend an extra 50 credits to wash off the dust. :sly:

Have a good one!

I owned one of these in real life (the Coupe Actually) and quite frankly, the GT5 version is nothing like it. Ive done loads of laps in it and it hasnt broken down once and when I rev to the max there is no smoke coming from under the bonnet.

Sorry to be facetious but I couldnt resist, particularly as I spent many a long hour on the hard shoulder.

Back