**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 17/02/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the second of the weekly series of CAR OF THE WEEK!

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car, give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

This is an experimental idea and the format is subject to change or development. The picking of the cars is still under discussion and any offers of help with this from anyone who has more GTPlanet experience than me (which is pretty much everyone!) would be very much appreciated.

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

Thanks to Krenkme's efforts in last weeks COTY thread which can be found HERE, I nominated him to come up with the choice for this week. So this weeks superstar car is.....

The super-duper sexy Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto '66 - Currently in the OCD.

images

So, two weeks, two convertible Alfas. Two entirely different machines sharing the same heritage. A good contrast I think.

For now I will be asking what I consider to be the best poster on the topic that week (by Thursday!) to choose the next car, so I hope that gives you all a little motivation to contribute! And should anyone arrange any COTW races, feel free to advertise them here.

So, the '66 spider... Discuss...

Last edited:
Well.... I do have one already, but I might just get one from the OCD as it will be good as new and I can keep one stock and tune up the other.

Am looking forward to this one, and to more people taking part this week.

Will drive and post tomorrow.

Looking good!👍👍

@krenkme why don't you and your parrot meet me over in the Tuner Wars...classic Alfa's...420PP...anything goes at Nordschleife? Fastest tune gets a spot on the Nordschleife Lap Time boards for tuned cars. I'm betting we can get mike or praiano to give them a go even on RS tires if you want.:crazy::D

Edit: Correction has to be on Sports Soft or worse tires to qualify for the Nordschleife Lap Times tuned car category.:drool: old age making me soft in the head.:lol:

Last edited:
Would have expected it. 👍

Haven't driven this yet in GT5, probably the last time I drove it in GT4 was on the Citta di Aria license test in it. Citta di Aria was bloody awesome.

I have however driven all three counterparts to this Spider, ie the Giulia cars. The Speciale is a good cruiser, the GTA is a pretty speedy one (and looks like the quintessential Italian rally car, honestly) and the TZ2 is biblically amazing.

Expect my review sometime late tonight. Check out last week's thread for my first-ever car review, which apparently has gained quite a following.

Another Italian supermodel, only this one a bit more mature than the last.

I guess its Courtney Love vs. Mrs. Robinson.

Who doesn't love a proper cougar? Nobody!

Last edited:
Thanks for asking me to pick this weeks car. I do hope everyone enjoys this timeless Classic.

Looking good!👍👍

@krenkme why don't you and your parrot meet me over in the Tuner Wars...classic Alfa's...420PP...anything goes at Nordschleife? Fastest tune gets a spot on the Nordschleife Lap Time boards for tuned cars. I'm betting we can get mike or praiano to give them a go even on RS tires if you want.:crazy::D

Edit: Correction has to be on Sports Soft or worse tires to qualify for the Nordschleife Lap Times tuned car category.:drool: old age making me soft in the head.:lol:

As long as I don't have to drive it (I'm awful at driving) that sounds great. I'll get started. :dopey:

Awesome, love the duetto spider. My favourite Alfa in the game. Wonderful car, but just wondering instead of making a completely new thread each week, why not just edit the one from before with the next week car? Then just have a list of all the previous Cars of the Week in that thread aswell. It would be a lot more organized.

Wonderful car, but just wondering instead of making a completely new thread each week, why not just edit the one from before with the next week car? Then just have a list of all the previous Cars of the Week in that thread aswell. It would be a lot more organized.

Then you end up with a thread about 1000 cars, and too much info to easily sift through. New threads are easier to keep car-specific.

I will admit that I did frown when I saw Alfa Romeo on the menu again. But the difference between the 'I wish a spaceship looked like me' previous Alfa and the 'I am a space ship' current one is not just the fact that the current one has some style. The current Alfa looks like a designer designed it and not some Engineering student using it as credit fo his degree. It's classic in that it has curves, not lines.

Eifel (Circuit)_4 by Milldrum, on Flickr
Rear wheel drive, all the upgrades except tyres and no rear grip make for a fun untuned ride. Tuned I am sure it will be much more fun. It might even turn out to be a nice beginner drift car in the right hands.

Toscana by Milldrum, on Flickr
It seems at home at Toscana. The cheering crowd, the tents, sheep and the setting sun all make up the perfect backdrop for this classic. I am sure that once I learn how to tune a car it will be a fun car to drive.

It is not currently in my top 100 cars, but it could definately push it's way in with the right tune. :)

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"Better to be splattered on a billboard, than to roast like a chicken" -Tazio Nuvolari

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto

Last week we allegedly made the mistake of comparing the 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider to an Italian supermodel with a robust derrière. Some complained that you simply can't have a supermodel with a huge arse, while others demanded to know what experience I've had with supermodels. In fact, our producer received so much criticism of my review that he promptly hung himself.

After his wife saw his helmet in the photo, so did our racing driver.

So now we've hired a new producer,a new racing driver, and we are prepared for the next challenge.. which happens to be (drum roll please)...

...another Italian supermodel.

Uh-oh. Here we go again.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_1-1.jpg

After spending much of the afternoon padding the producers office with thick squishy padding, placing our new driver in his health-and-safety approved, suicide-resistant pen, and talking with Julie-the-angry-Alfa-man, it was time to grab the car from our garage and hit the track.

That is, if we could find it. You see, our garage has grown quite expansive lately, so locating the proper car takes some work. Shouldn't be too difficult. We sent our underpaid and often overworked intern out into the garage with the explicit instructions to return with the sexy older lady in the red dress. Easy, right?

According to Polyphony Digital (via Translator-san):
Translator-san
The Spider 1600 Duetto was a successor to the Giulietta Spider, and debuted at the Geneva Motor Show in 1966. While the subname of the vehicle, Duet, was chosen through a public vote, it is actually a perfectly suitable moniker for a two-seater Spider. The new Spider Giulietta quickly became famous after being driven by the actor Dustin Hoffman in the major Hollywood movie, "The Graduate."

The greatest attraction of this car is its unforgettable, flowing body. In contrast to the classic feel of the Giulietta Spider, this Spider 1600 Duet has a modern style. Designed by Pininfarina, the long rear tail in particular, is distinctively and beautifully rounded.

However, this tail end caused aerodynamic problems, and the design was changed in later models. The long sloping styling is a treasure only held by this Duet. Its engine was a DOHC inline-4 that produced 108 hp. the body was reinforced in order to compensate for making it a convertible, which made it heavier. But even with its increased weight it still achieved a top speed of 115 mph.

The Spider 1600 Duet went through numerous minor changes and remained in production even after other Giulia series cars had vanished. In 1968 the engine was enlarged to 1,750 cc and the name changed to Giulia Spider Veloce. The engine was enlarged again in 1971 to 2.0L, and amazingly, its production continued until 1993.

Four hours, six interns, and two National Guard-style search parties later, we returned with our sexy lady, only she wasn't wearing red, she was blue. Baby blue. Celeste blue, as a matter of fact.

Oh god.

How can anyone have a topless Italian supermodel in anything other than red?! It'd be like joyriding around in a Rolls Royce the color of diarrhea! It's like putting Gwen Stefani in the latest Walmart chic! Any man seen driving around in this car with this color would be quickly laughed at, followed closely with accusations about the outfit his girlfriend chose for him to wear that day.

Clearly, bad taste is an epidemic that must be stopped. At least for this car, right now, it ends here. To the paint shop!

SpecialStageRouteX-18.jpg

Performance As Purchased: February 13, 2011, Celeste (Blue)
Displacement: 1,570 cc
Max. Power: 102 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 96 ft-lbs. @ 3,000 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,250 mm Height: 1,290 mm Weight: 960 kg
Tires: Comfort Soft
Performance Points: 330
Mileage: 35,228.1 mi.

Looking over the numbers, it certainly doesn't sound very impressive. 102 hp, 96 lbs. of torque, but at least it's light. And topless. And although she is a bit older than the previous Alfa we tested, I can't think of a single male that wouldn't want to see an Italian supermodel topless. All she needs is the proper color bikini, and fresh coat of Rosso Scuderia red fits that bill quite nicely. After all, Enzo Ferrari started racing with Alfa Romeo, so surely the color fits the heritage.

Having learned from our previous mistake, we contracted a well-known painter named Manuel to do the job. We also rebuilt the engine, which netted us an additional 12 Performance Points (which our producer says apparently nets us a free pizza, but he's fat, and that's frankly all he dreams about), and 10 hp, for a total of 112 hp. Not impressive still, but every bit helps, especially with a car this light. This time, we weren't disappointed by the work. Our top remained the same black it was before, the paint went on smooth and true, and not once did we feel threatened by Manuel's South American friends, even when they asked us to transport a small package of salt with us on our way to Italy. At least, I think it was salt.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 112 hp, Max. Torque: 106 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 342 PP

Many hours over the Atlantic, and even more time spent with Italian customs and authorities (which by the way, were none too delicate with their "personal searches"). Amazingly, we were able to make it to the track without anyone asking why we were walking funny. Being Italian, I bet they already knew, but were kind enough to see past it without giggling.

Note to self: Never again agree to transport anything internationally, no matter how much of a discount you get for prior services rendered. The risk is simply too great, and the arse far too sensitive to inquiries.

Before we headed to Monza, we needed to establish a baseline of performance. To do this, we once again retreated to our classified, top secret, for-our-eyes-only Test Track located next to the only Dunkin Donuts in the country. To establish some hardcore data, we brought along our "medically sedated" racecar driver in his health-and-safety approved, suicide-resistant pen. Once opened, the driver emerged, hopped in the car and quickly set about laying down a 0-60 in 0:10.833 seconds, and a quarter-mile time of 0:18.162.

Oddly, he managed to pull a gun from the glovebox, and killed himself. Tragic, really.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:45.444, 0-100 mph: 0:31.421, Max. G-Force: 0.49G, Top Speed: 123.3 mph

Horizon00glitch.jpg

Arriving in Italy sans driver, we put an ad in the local paper in a desperate attempt to fill the void and meet our deadline. We received a few replies, with the best candidate appearing to be a young Italian by the name of Dario. When we were able to reach him by phone, however, we were shocked by the sound of a Scottish accent. Of all the passionate people obsessed with cars in Italy, we find the one Scot. He claims to be an expert at American open-wheeled racing, but frankly all we care about is; A) can he seduce our sexy Duetto around Monza without killing himself or others, and 2) will he, too, kill himself afterwards?

Showing up in a dust cloud resembling a Ferrari F40, we toss the keys to the Italian Stallion/Flying Scot/Whatever-the-hell-this-guy-is, and he's off in a flash. After the first lap, Dario crosses the line at almost a leisurely pace, but by the end of the third lap, he's hanging the rear-end around almost every corner with massive power slides amidst roars from our minute crowd.

Clearly, he was enjoying himself.

When he was finished, it was our turn. Immediately, in Turn 1, we discover why his first lap was so slow. The suspension is rather squishy, the brakes rather grippy, and the rear end as loose as Jenna Jameson. A few turns later, and with the proper inputs we too were slinging the car into, through, and out of the corners with reckless abandon. True drive-it-like-you-stole-it style, and like any under-sexed kitten, she begged for more.

1966Duetto.jpg

In 1967 Mike Nichols directed The Graduate, a film about a very young Dustin Hoffman being seduced by a very sexy older woman before falling in love with her younger daughter. In the movie, Dustin drives a Duetto, and after two laps it becomes blatantly obvious why. This car is Mrs. Robinson.

You see, when you first approach her, you're quite nervous and a bit unsure about what to do. I mean, sure she's a bit older, but dear god is she sexy, and for some ungodly reason attracted to you as well. However, with age comes experience, and she already knows how shy, awkward, and uneasy you are about your attraction to her. Being a game, she sucks you in.

And sucks, and sucks, and sucks.

Eventually, you're committed. In, out, and over. Rinse and repeat. With enough practice, you'll find yourself poolside sipping cocktails when someone tells you the world is bloody well ending. And because you've already conquered your fear of the unknown, your fear of inadequecy, and have mastered some measurement of control, you simply will not care.

Bring it on. I can handle it, so long as it's quick, because tonight I've got a date with danger, and I don't want to keep her waiting.

AutodromoNazionaleMonza-4.jpg

However, like Mrs. Robinson, young drivers like our Dario should be wary of a car like this. Sure, she'll let you play, but it'll be when she wants to. Not you. Sure, she'll teach you things that were beyond your imagination, but eventually you'll want to try those things with other cars. Younger cars. Tighter cars.

And that's the crux of the problem. The Duetto is Mrs. Robinson seducing you into her spell, and turning you into a sex-crazed, hormone-induced madman with delusions of grandeur.

Try it on your average college "hottie" and all you'll end up with is a slap in the face from an over-adored slut with no idea of what she wants in life. And who wants that?

And that, little Timmy, is what I know about supermodels.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V
*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtplanet: GTKitty4Prez :gtplanet:. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Polo by Ralph Lauren. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. Offer not valid to those that breathe air.

Last edited:
I'm not even going to try and follow that... another good review McLarenDesign.

I too wondered about having another Alfa as COTW, but I did like this car very much as it's very easy to drive and quite forgiving. Not very quick, but it is light and handles easily.

I took mine out on one of my own Eifel tracks and then to Monza for a 1-make race in Practice mode.

I didn't make any changes to the car at all, although it already had a paint job (in GT Gunmetal 007 if anyone's interested).

Cheers

I ran the Sunday Cup races in this car earlier today, bone stock. I could win the Autumn Mini and Tsukuba races easily, but she just didn't have enough grunt to hold the lead on Grand Valley East. She seems to handle better than the '01 Spider, but that may just be because you're never carrying enough speed to get her too far out of line.

Well I like this, so far this idea is 2 for 2 in the area of prompting me to drive a car I own, yet haven't taken out of my garage before. The guys at the car wash are getting used to my using the Gold Turismo credit card now. I must admit to liking the way "Mrs. Robinson" drives way better than the Spider 3.0, but I do prefer FR drivetrains over FF's. I have a side bet going with one of the GT Auto mechanics that next week's car will be another untouched virgin from the harem of cars I have... Who knows, maybe I'll get a free car wash this time. :sly:

Keep this one going people, I really like the idea behind this thread... Thanks!

Have a good one

I have been toying with this 'lil lady for the last couple of days and despite her complete lack of pace, I am falling for her. She sways and swings like Jessica Rabbit and looks every bit as good.

But enough of the metaphors (or is it similes?), as a driving machine it is far from dynamic. Not really competitive amongst its pp, it has fairly poor brakes and it is hardly an apex hunter. It's rather short on power too, gaining momentum really rather slowly. Not much of a racing car then, but I don't think anyone will be even slightly shocked by that.

But was that ever the point? Clearly not. This car was designed with one purpose in mind and one only. To make you feel good. To make you feel good when you are in it, when you are looking at it or even when you think about it.

It succeeds in this one goal in a way few other cars ever will. Lets face it, it is a classic beauty. Simple, elegant but perfectly proportioned and looks as good today as the day the first one rolled off the line. But it is a treat for more than just the eyes - the exhaust note is just right. It isn't raw base, it isn't screaming banshee, but it IS just right. An edge that bounces off the walls of the tunnels and hits your ears in a way that reminds you just why this car is best with the top down, but a gentle enough rumbling to enhance, not distract the ride.

The handling is not about grip. Or precision. Which is just as well as neither word is appropriate. What is appropriate is - delightful. It is slidey, not spinney. Not a drifter but an elegant powerslider, losing grip in just the right way, predictable but joyful. It tickles a smile right onto your face. In the right circumstances, it comes alive and you just forget that such a thing as a lap-time exists. The pure fun of piloting this bombshell around a city track exercises your imagination as much as your driving ability.

In all, it is certainly not the right car for a Racing game, but it is the perfect car for a Driving simulator. In this, it makes me feel really good.

Good job Turismo. You're right about that exhaust note. Like a symphony of pleasure.

Last edited:
In the short time I have spent with this beauty, she's bitten me. I set out to make a 420pp on sport soft tires, but rather drove it stock around the 'Ring with a huge smile on my face. Does it handle well? No, but I didn't expect it to. Is it fast? No again, but it is quick enough for this type of car. What's it good for? In a word, driving.

This is what a proper classic roadster should feel like. I'm in love.

Don't worry Harvey, a 420pp build will be on its way, but for now I have a date with a senior citizen beauty.

Thanks for the thread. Keep it up :dopey:

@krenkme been making the rounds with my own "Lucrezia"...
Bartolomeo_Veneto_001.jpg

At 400PP on Sports Softs she cleans up all the seasonal 400PP events no problem.

At 420PP on Sports Softs she is proving to be a true femme fatal, teasing me with the promise of a sub 8 minute run on the Nordschleife then sending me spinning into the barriers seemingly on a whim.:drool:

Love the car and while not the fastest at her PP I'm sure, she does flash some lovely legs...now to tame her just enough that I'm not always checking for poison in my drinks...:crazy:

XDesperado67
@krenkme been making the rounds with my own "Lucrezia"...

Can't wait to start the tune for my "Black Widow" spider. I hope to have something in the next few days 👍

This little car has grown on me. Certainly a car I would not otherwise have tried. Great thread, great choice.

Stock this car is a joy to drive. Tuned to 420pp it's a challenge, a challenge that I am enjoying. Keep these threads coming 👍

Back