**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 17/08/12**

M.G, in case you missed it, here's 6 months of compiled numbers for you to digest. Enjoy.

McClarenDesign.png

I never liked those infograph things. They just look way too cluttered to me.

Know any good tunes for the Vette's? I could use one that lets me fully commit the accelerator coming out of low speed turns without sending the thing drifting about.

KVelocity
Know any good tunes for the Vette's? I could use one that lets me fully commit the accelerator coming out of low speed turns without sending the thing drifting about.

You won't find one that eradicates that unfortunately, throttle control is the key here. Trying to nail down 450+bhp from a slow turn is too much even for RS tyres I think.

@MustangManiac - do you have any times for Indy Road, or did the non-stick surface mean a bunch of red laps? :lol:

I think I got about 2 out of 5 clean on my first attempt.

@MustangManiac - do you have any times for Indy Road, or did the non-stick surface mean a bunch of red laps? :lol:

I think I got about 2 out of 5 clean on my first attempt.

Holy cr*p! I forgot to post my lap times, I will have to wait until I get home from work :crazy:

comandorando87
Time for scantily clad womenfolk then? It works for beer commercials:dopey:

Thats what I'm thinking. Give me a few hours, I'll fix it when I get home.

IMG_7707.jpg

1367493_600.jpg

Last edited:
trackripper123
McClaren, you got the wrong Vette' model. :lol:

I'm at work, and easily distracted. It's a corvette with a chick, job done.

It's not my fault she posed in front of the wrong car.

Now if i can get over my undying hatred of almost everything GM i might actually get behind the wheel of this thing and muster up a few words for this week.

comandorando87
Now if i can get over my undying hatred of almost everything GM i might actually get behind the wheel of this thing and muster up a few words for this week.

I kicked a dent into one of mine out of principle alone. I'm gonna need to be sterilized after I drive it.

I kicked a dent into one of mine out of principle alone. I'm gonna need to be sterilized after I drive it.

There are really only three chevys that i would proudly be caught dead in:
1)first gen camaro, because they are menacingly good looking.
2)GNX, sheer turbo madness and again menacing.
3)Corvair, because oddballs are always cool even if almost always death-traps.

p.s. good work on putting a dent in fiberglass:dopey:

comandorando87
There are really only three chevys that i would proudly be caught dead in:

I won't own anything from GM after John DeLorean left. It was a terrible company then, and nothing has changed since.

The Vette kills me because it's everything that the rest of GM is supposed to be, but isn't.

And the ingress/egress is stupid... but much better than the C4.

I never liked those infograph things. They just look way too cluttered to me.

I loved the infographic, got me to thinking what kind of a car would be produced if it were an amalgamation of the average stats (would it be average looking and handling, or the perfect balance?).

But I put several dents into my 'vette by accident when the other images in this post distracted me...

Turismo.M.G!
I loved the infographic, got me to thinking what kind of a car would be produced if it were an amalgamation of the average stats (would it be average looking and handling, or the perfect balance?).

But I put several dents into my 'vette by accident when the other images in this post distracted me...

Were any of those a blue Vette spinning around on snow in Alaska? :lol:

Catching up with my COTW postings and it's the Corvette's turn.

The Z06 (C5) benefited from an oil change to give 413bhp.

I risked some new wheels as well and I think these massive Enkei SC03s look great. Very "pimped".

Off to Indy Road then and the first lap was spent mostly out-braking myself!

But I did get better and, if you're careful this is a quick car which copes quite well with the twisty bits at this track. Laptime was 1:48.680 on the stock SH tyres.

As suggested by someone I had a try round the Toscana dirt track and this was great fun. Turning out to be quicker than the 4WD quattro with a lap of 2:06.116.

Next up then was the race car version the C5-R.

Now this is very quick with the expected great racecar grip and speed, and for a standard model it looks great!

After an oil change we had 640bhp and it was off to Indy again with the lap taking 1:32.841.

Then I had the same idea as MclarenDesign and tried the C5-R out at La Sarthe.

A very good choice for COTW this one as I hadn't tried out the modern Corvette and I enjoyed it very much.

Cheers

Corvette Z06 C5 / C5-R

VetteC5_Silver_Hangar7_3.jpg

I didn't have a C5 in my garage, there was a C6 RM ZR1 that I've used a few times, so straight to the dealership for a new industrial sounding 'Machine Silver' car. The Z06 harks back to the principals of the classic C2 Z06, being built with a lighter engine and is more nimble than the heftier ZR1. Sadly this one lacks the beauty of its ancestor, being more than reminiscent of the nasty '80s C4 generation. It is beginning to redeem itself in the looks department, but still appears a bit bland perhaps.

After oil change I get 413 BHP, 1414 KG 509pp, and with the stock Sports Hard tyres it's to Trial Mountain. I'm actually pleasantly surprised: it handles better than I expected with sharp enough turn-in and good all-round control and stability. The only real caveat is that caution with the loud pedal is required (it goes without saying really).

Tank Slapper - couldn't hold it
VetteC5_Silver_TrialMountain_1.jpg

It is fast, of course, and pulls easily to 150mph and beyond. As usual the road gearing could be improved but works ok on the track. On Indy I put it into 6th gear at 150mph and the revs drop below 4000. Maybe this is a an 'economical' cruising gear or something.

VetteC5_Silver_IndyRoad_2.jpg

At the Indy Road course, things are a little different. Maybe the surface is a bit shiny, or it is the very flatness but grip on the infield section proves hard to come by. I always have a hard time here, remembering to go slow enough for the awkward corners, keeping the back end under control, and so on, especially with no TC or ABS and a DS3.

Squirm under braking
VetteC5_Silver_IndyRoad_6.jpg

I have a C5-R in my garage, also not used, so after rebuilds we get 640 BHP/1139 KG/638pp. At Indy Road this is excellent: the Race Hard tyres more than compensate for the troublesome infield and the race car handling gives confidence. The level of control means it doesn't feel like 640 BHP, but you can still drift on the race tyres. I think this would work at Trial Mountain, but haven't had time.

Finally some grip
VetteC5-R_IndyRoad_1.jpg

Times:

Z06 on SH:
Z06Trial Mountain 1:43.002
Indy Road 1:50.012

C5-R on RH:
Indy Road 1:32.773

Taking up the off-road challenge, I got a new car in the Blue with tacky stickers, did oil change and some weight reduction, custom suspension, gearing, diff' and spoilers. Didn't think any power mods would be very helpful!

With my usual guess setup, I went to Eiger K for the rally action. The first shock was the extreme turn-in - this accentuated the tendency for the back to break away, so I managed to tone it down a bit. The Vette proved to be very competent on the loose stuff with none of the expected understeer (quite the opposite).

Hold on tight!
VetteC5_Rally_EigerK_1.jpg

Although the car was good enough at Eiger, I didn't find especially enjoyable. I was using DS3 and a lot of throttle modulation is required to keep the car in check. This inevitably lead to aching fingers - it would be easier with wheel I think.

Throttle control required
VetteC5_Rally_EigerK_3.jpg

Z06 'Rallye' - 413 BHP, 1285KG, 525pp
Eiger 'K' 4:32.885

Convincingly beating the stock Quattro (it does have twice the HP) and not far from my tuned Quattro time.

A bit of a mixed bag for me this week. I don't think it is a fantastic-looking car, it is competent enough in stock form and I would say is a natural drifter. Take or leave I think for the stock car. Although hard work, my 'Z06 Rallye' performed well and I think there is definite potential to tune for a good tarmac setup. The highlight for me this week is the C5-R and I look forward to using it more.

VetteC5_Silver_Hangar7_2.jpg

Last edited:
Aaahh, the 'Vette. The beautiful muscle car.

I really like this car. I have several of them in varying states of tune and it is one of very few cars that does everything well - drifts, handles on track, drags, tunes, rallying...

Well maybe not rallying, but definitely the rest. I think it looks rather handsome in the blue with the stripes too.

Will be heading home to test this on Indy tonight. But the C5R belongs at Le Mans.

The Corvette is a sports car, not a muscle car. But don't worry, a lot of people make that mistake here and in the game...even PD. Just because it's an American V8, doesn't make it a muscle car.

Back