**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 17/08/12**

McClarenDesign

Insightful, but bollocks.
Premium
United States
Norman, OK
McClarenDesign
Announcing the 28th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week (almost!) a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

Car of the Week - What do YOU think of the car?

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week...

You may remember that last week 88FoxBodyFan gave us a grammar lesson regarding that week's car, the Audi Quattro. Capitalized. His sharp eye and keen wit have earned him this week's choice of cars.

Incidentally, last week was our lowest posting week (19)...

88FoxBodyFan
The first time I set eyes on this car, I fell in love with it. The subtle details it had compared to the base model really set it off for me. Some people hate the styling and call it "compromised." I say it was just next natural evolution for the historic model. So for the Car Of The Week I pick:

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) '04

Chevrolet-Corvette_Z06_Commemorative_Edition_2004_1024x768_wallpaper_04.jpg

Image Source

I remember being disappointed when I found out the C5 'Vette wasn't in GT2, but was elated to see her in GT3. I've been (digitally) thrashing them ever since.

For those that are interested, might I also suggest the 2000 Chevrolet Corvette (C5) and the 2000 Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (C5). Seeing as how the Corvette has paced so many races, I figure the Indy Road Course would be a fitting track to highlight our car.

Now go forth... and try not to break anything.

Last edited:
Aaahh, the 'Vette. The beautiful muscle car.

I really like this car. I have several of them in varying states of tune and it is one of very few cars that does everything well - drifts, handles on track, drags, tunes, rallying...

Well maybe not rallying, but definitely the rest. I think it looks rather handsome in the blue with the stripes too.

Will be heading home to test this on Indy tonight. But the C5R belongs at Le Mans.

Turismo.M.G!

I really like this car. I have several of them in varying states of tune and it is one of very few cars that does everything well - drifts, handles on track, drags, tunes, rallying...

Well maybe not rallying, but definitely the rest. I think it looks rather handsome in the blue with the stripes too.

Will be heading home to test this on Indy tonight. But the C5R belongs at Le Mans.

You're back!

Is this a premium one? I know I've used a Vette at some point but can't remember- probly the later ZR1.

Turismo.M.G!

Well maybe not rallying, but definitely the rest.

Challenge Accepted. :lol:

Thanks Woodski_427, I am indeed back and bigger, stronger and more fearsome than ever!

Oh, and Trackripper123 - that was not a challenge! (Oh how I fear for the poor spectators whose lives are now in imminent danger!).

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"A given tire only has so much frictional connection to the road. You can use it for steering or traction." -Maurice Olley

Week 28: 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) and 2000 Chevrolet Corvette (C5) and 2000 Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (C5)

Coming Soon!
SpecialStageRouteX_1-10.jpg
CircuitdelaSarthe2009_1-1.jpg
Bern-MarketStreet-4.jpg

Performance as Purchased: November 28, 2011, Le Mans Blue with Red and Silver Striping (Blue)
Displacement: 5,665 cc
Max. Power: 394 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 387 ft-lbs. @ 4,500 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,566 mm Height: 1,212 mm Weight: 1414 kg
Tires: Sports (Hard)
Performance Points: 502
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

GrandValleyEast.jpg

Performance as Purchased: November 29, 2010, Speedway White (White)
Displacement: 5,665 cc
Max. Power: 367 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 347 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Length: 4,566 mm Height: 1,212 mm Weight: 1409 kg
Tires: Sports (Hard)
Performance Points: 494
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009-3.jpg

Performance as Purchased: March 1, 2011, Yellow (with stickers)
Displacement: 6,997 cc
Max. Power: 610 hp @ 6,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 494 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Length: 4,643 mm Height: 1,163 mm Weight: 1139 kg
Tires: Racing (Hard)
Performance Points: 630
Mileage: 26.2 mi.

RoadCourse-Indy-2.jpg
SpecialStageRouteX-19.jpg

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS
Week 15: The Shelby Cars
Week 16: 1979 Honda Civic 1500 3door CX
Week 17: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Week 18: 1967 Prince Skyline 2000GT-B
Week 19: 1967 Toyota 2000GT
Week 20: 2002 Audi S3
Week 21: 2004 Oullim Motors Spirra 4.6 V8
Week 22: 1988 Toyota SUPRA 3.0GT Turbo A and 1990 Toyota SUPRA 2.5GT Twin Turbo R
Week 23: 1998 Mini Cooper 1.3i
Week 24: 1964 Ginetta G4
Week 25: The TVR Cars
Week 26: The Pininfarina Cars
Week 27: 1982 Audi Quattro

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications, to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. For ticket information, please include a S.A.S.E. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of J. Crew. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. All trademarks and copyrights used without permission, because this is a parody and an act of free speech. Reviews may contain natural and artificial flavoring. Please rinse after use. This product is not guaranteed to cure baldness or any other medical condition. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Sorry, no C.O.D.s accepted. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. Photos shown with optional equipment. Objects in mirror closer than they appear. If you've made it this far, it's too late to stop now. May cause drowsiness. Check your local listings for times and dates. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience. Underage sale prohibited. Certain state laws do not allow limitations on implied warranties or the exclusion or limitation of certain damages. By blinking, you agree to all terms and conditions contained within. + us on Google+ N Stuff! McClarenDesign is not an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Ed. Note-
Best wishes and a Godspeed recovery to: Maria De Villota.

Last edited:
Good to see you back Turismo.M.G. :cheers:.

Still trying to get caught up on past weeks, but will be looking forward to this week :dopey:

trackripper123
Guys, I have some news. Corvette Rally Version is ready. The report will be up soon. :dopey:

Rally? Are you gonna put snow tires on it? Fog lights, maybe?

Can't wait - I'm going to try it on Eiger K and see how it compares to the mighty Q/quattro. :lol:

If only there were great big Cibies I could strap to the front...there must be some bodykit options though :dopey:

McClarenDesign

I wish you could add fog lights, but no, some snow tyres, tweaked transmission and suspension, added lightness and that's it. Minimal visual differences. :lol:

Woodski, don't expect a lot of it. You'll see what I mean when I put the pictures up later. :lol: There 's a small front splitter and a small rear diffuser. What it really needs is a massive wing on the back, but you can't add that. :(

My favorite color on this car is Competition Yellow, which is weird for me, because I usually don't like yellow cars. (Lambos being an exception.)

Another good choice for the COTW, one of the true American icons: the Vette. @ Trackripper, you could try the C5-R for your rally car as it already has the fog lights and the aero, if you dare to try. :sly: Best of luck!

Baron Blitz Red
Another good choice for the COTW, one of the true American icons: the Vette. @ Trackripper, you could try the C5-R for your rally car as it already has the fog lights and the aero, if you dare to try. :sly: Best of luck!

I did think about that, but it's a bit like sacrilege really, doing that to the C5-R. :lol:

So after taking up Turismo M.G's challenge, I bought a shiny new Z06 C5 from the NCD and fitted snow tyres to it, tuned it up to 550PP, fitted customisable transmission, suspension and LSD and all the other bells and whistles. Time to take it to my own custom snow rally track.

Right, first run with this monster, and let's go! Foot hard down and- Oh! That's not gone well.

AlaskaSnow.jpg

"...It's out of it's comfort zone I think."

I've spun it on the straight. Not in a corner, under acceleration on the straight. This could be more difficult than I thought. Back in the pits, I tweaked the stock customisable transmission and suspension, then took it back out for another run. This didn't really work either.

AlaskaSnow_1.jpg

"...S**t."

After a rethink, and some more tweaking, involving some absurd rear toe values and fitting a subtle rear boot lip spoiler for some downforce, I did manage to get the beast under some control, and there is a feeling like no other when you nail a set of slalom corners with the back end sliding out perfectly for each one, although it still remains very difficult to drive. Half throttling through corners and a ton of throttle control on the exit is key to making sure those shackles don't break and this bear of a car doesn't snap back at you and bite your head off. Looks good too, even rallying here in Alaska.

AlaskaSnow_2.jpg

AlaskaSnow_3.jpg

So there you have it. The Corvette can do everything now, including rally. Well, sort of.

AlaskaSnow_4.jpg

"Don't worry, we'll edit that spin out for the final thing."

Great choice! I have recently become reacquainted with my vette, and it has been blessing me with many wins. Keep 'em coming!

For clarification, the standard C5 in the game is still a Z06. The first year they made them (in the US) was in 2001, so I'm not sure why the game says it's a 2000. The difference between the two is in the engine and some minor upgrades to the interior. In 2001, the Z06 had a 5.7L V8 with 385hp. The 02-04 model has the same engine with 405hp.

ZohsixGT5
For clarification, the standard C5 in the game is still a Z06. The first year they made them (in the US) was in 2001, so I'm not sure why the game says it's a 2000. The difference between the two is in the engine and some minor upgrades to the interior. In 2001, the Z06 had a 5.7L V8 with 385hp. The 02-04 model has the same engine with 405hp.

I thought it was just a base model C5, but this does make some sense outta my testing. Wonder if it has something to do with the way the Vette was marketed in Japan/Europe.

On a side note, I present... Jake.

wall_7_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Quite a coincidence that the Indy Road Course is this week's test track - MotoGP is there this weekend! It seems like a lot of the riders there are having grip problems... so it's not just GT5!

Sadly, my book of almighty historyness only has the '09 ZR1 and the '63 Sting Ray, so I can't give a history lesson this week, but I could supply some photos if I get round to it! :D

With the premium Corvette Z06 '04 I did a 1:14.164.

Which is probably easy to beat. I'm not good at this kind of stuff.

2000 Corvette ZO-6 C5/C5R​

RoadCourse-Indy_3.jpg

I had both the 2000 C5 and C5-R on hand so I went with these. The stock C5 came in with 357hp/489pp and after an oil change showed 374hp/497pp. With my usual mild tune she was rated at 468hp/527pp. The C5-R was 608hp/630pppp before the oil change and 638hp/637pp after. The numbers at the test track:
.............. stock.....tuned......RM
1/4 mi......13.348 / 11.823 / 10.887
1.0 mi......32.680 / 29.179 / 26.413
0 to 60.....04.760 / 03.636 / 03.401
to 100......11.193 / 08.010 / 06.238
max G........00.79 / 01.040 / 00.980
max spd....172.40 / 188.60 / 193.00

teflon coated Indy!
RoadCourse-Indy_2.jpg

I found the stock Vette on SH tires to be a real handful, not to blame the car, I have always found the flat, smooth road course at Indy to be very slick and hard to get a handle on. As usual I found the stock gearbox to be lacking at the track, a bit surprising given the Vettes racing/sports car heritage, I never even saw 6th gear even on that long fast front straight. She did have rather amazing brakes, fortunately for me, that is the only thing that kept me out of the kitty litter on numerous occasions.

Does this wing make my rear end look fat:)
RoadCourse-Indy_4.jpg

With my usual mild tune, chip, intake/exhaust and drive train on RH tires she was a real fun drive. Still capable of pushing the limits on the tires though, the course is just too flat and slick for my tastes. The 6 speed close ratio box helped, but may be a bit too close for a course with so much speed. I may take her out to a tighter track later in the week if I have time.

RoadCourse-Indy_5.jpg

The RM version is truely a crazy ride! I found it very twitchy at low speeds in the tight sections and the gears could be stretched a bit here, I spent a lot of time bouncing around 1st through 3rd gears. At high speeds she is dream, tons of grip even at this track and very smooth and precise steering inputs. I am thinking a trip to Monza, La Sarthe or Spa would suit her well

Cutting it tight into turn one, when you hit this one right she can fly.
RoadCourse-Indy_6.jpg

Lap times at Indy road course:
stock - 1:46.549
tuned - 1:35.991
C5-R - 1:28.952

I lost her here, not from lack of grip, but I got two wheels off into the grass entering the corner and was never able to real her back in.
RoadCourse-Indy_7.jpg

A great choice this week, being a Ford guy, Chevy has always been the enemy. I actually owned a 75 Vette ages ago, a small block 350 auto...I was not impressed. I had a 70 Challenger at the time that would blow her doors off. Of course, the Challenger wasn't exactly street legal. I found the stock ride to be nothing special, capable, but that is about it. She really came alive with the tune though and was great fun to drive. The RM, well, She is a true race car...I can't wait to get her out to some of my favorite tracks.

Last edited:
Back