**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 2/03/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the fourth of the weekly series of CAR OF THE WEEK!

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car, give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

This is an experimental idea and the format is subject to change or development. The picking of the cars is still under discussion and any offers of help with this from anyone who has more GTPlanet experience than me (which is pretty much everyone!) would be very much appreciated.

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

Thanks to XDesperado67 efforts in last weeks COTY thread which can be found HERE, I nominated him to come up with the choice for this week. So this weeks superstar car is.....

Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro '07

images

To quote XDesperado67 "Being somewhat short notice I checked Adrenaline's web page that attempts to list all the tunes here on GTPlanet. I'm a fan of Audi's and strangely enough Adrenaline doesn't have any tunes listed for the Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro '07. This car is available in the NCD so it will be easy for everyone to get and maybe we can find out why there are several tunes for the '00 TT (a standard), the '03 TT (premium) and '09 TTS also premium) but none for the '07.

While doing so we will add at least one new tune to Adrenaline's list.

So, time for our very first premium COTW! Lets go...!

Thanks for giving me the chance to select the CotW Turismo.M.G!👍👍

Hopefully there are a few other Audi fans around here who can help put this great looking little beast through its paces.

Oh and I need to correct myself, seems Adrenaline is also missing any tunes for the TT Coupe 1.8 Quattro '00 so maybe if at some point in the future it ever comes up in the OCD we can do it.👍👍

Also for those who haven't checked it out before here is a link to Adrenaline's thread in the Tuning Forum where he attempts with a fair bit of success to provide an easily searchable listing/database of nearly all the tunes created and posted in the Tuning Forum.
Every GTPlanet Tune That Exists Is In This Thread!!!
Check it out and then give him a well deserved thanks for single handedly creating and maintaining this great resource for the GTPlanet community.:bowdown::gtpflag:

Sweet. I love the TT, and can't wait to thrash her around the Ring!

Great choice!
Thanks!👍👍

I thought about picking something really offbeat since those are the cars I enjoy tuning the most but figured...
A) Picking a car that was readily available would make it easier for more people to try it out and...
B) While the Cars for the first 3 weeks have been a blast I thought maybe something with a bit more potential performance might be a good change of pace. Fully tuned broken in with a wing added, the car has over 400HP and 530PP.:D

Mine is a beautiful Phantomschwarz Perleffect that makes it look truely wicked with the Type A Aero Kit and Wing on it.:cheers:

Change of pace is good. As usual, I'll have my review up this weekend. I might even do it tonight.

Tonight the Teutonic Terror takes to the track! Totally.

Well do to the weather (check local listings) I should have some time to see what that car can do... do the Outlaws fancy a duel? :dopey:

Well do to the weather (check local listings) I should have some time to see what that car can do... do the Outlaws fancy a duel? :dopey:
Sorry to hear the weather turned nasty again...global warming and all that you know...:crazy::lol:

I'll let you set up the challenge this time krenkme, you call it and my "Devil's Due" will be there.:gtpflag:

Last edited:
XDesperado67
Sorry to hear the weather turned nasty again...global warming and all that you know...:crazy::lol:

I'll let you set up the challenge this time krenkme, you call it and my "Sympathy for the Devil" will be there.:gtpflag:

All right. Back in a few hours to let you know the fight :D :cheers:

Nice pick! Another car that I've never driven, but I don't actually own this car yet. Looking forward to see if it can keep a close pace with the TTS...

Have a good one

Cheers to you :cheers: for the car of the week 👍. Having a blast tuning and driving this one. Keep an eye out for some pics, notes, and smack ( Tuner Wars )... now back to the fun :dopey:

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"If you see the tree you're driving into, you have under-steered. If you only hear it, you have over-steered." -Walter Rohrl

Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro

Before we begin this week, I feel I must offer full disclosure. You see, a close colleague of mine once said that the people that drive Audis are plastic surgeons that wear Polo shirts, Oakley sunglasses, and talk to themselves all day on their Bluetooth headsets. Although I don't personally own an Audi, I do have a pair of Oakley sunglasses, a headset, and a few shirts.

Some would say this weeks car was tailor-made for tossers like me. Those same people would also find themselves needing my services to repair their nose afterwards.
Nrburgring24h.jpg

Thankfully, we wouldn't be stuck at the office this week. Instead, our producer suggested that we pack everything up, and head over to Germany to give the car some proper justice in Der Vaterland. While there, Audi would provide their own engineer to oversee the cars during the test, named Hans. Naturally, we assumed that we'd be taking the car on a leisurely ride through the Autobahn, but our producer had something far more sinister in mind.

Perhaps after last week's "incident" I've grown a bit paranoid, but lately everyone seems to be acting strange.

According to Polyphony Digital (via Translator-san)
Translator-san
The Audi TT drew the world's attention when it was introduced in the 1990's because of its unique round exterior design and striking face highlighted by a rectangular grille and large headlights. The silhouette of the second-generation model has been conventionalized a bit, looking more like other coupes in its segment, but the new TT remained a vehicle that pleasantly stood out in a crowd.

The car retained its attractive face, while on the rounded rear deck, and electric rear spoiler made its presence known, especially at high speeds reducing lift to the rear part of the car. Inside the sheet metal, the cabin was designed with luxury and taste, thanks to an attractive dashboard and use of high-quality materials.

The car came with two engine options: a 2.0-liter DOHC direct-injected turbo-charged and inter-cooled inline-4 and a normally-aspirated 3.2-liter DOHC V6 rated at 247 HP and 235.7 ft-lbs of torque. Both power plants were mated to either a 6-speed manual or S-tronic transmission, the latter being the DSG twin-clutch system also utilized by Volkswagen.

The new TT featured a space frame construction that combined aluminum and steel, reputed to be 50 percent more rigid than the preceding model (the roadster was actually 120 percent stiffer), despite being 100 kg lighter than the VW Golf which is based off the same platform. A magnetic ride suspension system that allowed the driver to adjust dampening force was also available.

With the new TT, it wasn't just the car's styling that made enthusiasts notice, it was how it performed on the winding road that impressed people the most.

Hans in hand... no, that's not right, try again.

With Hans alongside me, we proceeded to the garage to take delivery of our Audi TT, which I must confess is personally one of the funniest names given to a car. Really? TT? Isn't "TT" something a 2-year-old would say in reference to needing the facilities? Toddler for "Tinkle?" Hans doesn't seem amused.

Hours later, our car shows up dressed in a beautiful shade of "Phantomschwarzenegg.. Phantomshnizzl... Hans, quick, how do I say this?... Phantomschwarz Perleffekt? Look, it's freakin Phantom Black Pearl! We all know I'm a stupid American, why can't I just call it Phantom Black? I pay my taxes, I took a year of German almost 20 years ago, and only...
Producer
Get on with it!
Glancing at the interior, it's clear this car hasn't been touched. Ever. Even the odometer agrees. Virgin.

I like Virgins, but I know that all you care about are the numbers.

Performance as Purchased: November 24, 2011, Phantomschwarz Perleffekt (its freakin' black, just say it!)
Displacement: 3,189 cc
Max. Power: 243 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 228 ft-lbs. @ 2,500 rpm
Drivetrain: 4WD
Length: 4,178 mm Height: 1,352 mm Weight: 1410 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 429
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

After both car and racing driver recieved their pre-test check-ups, we discovered two problems. First, our car had been setting in the garage collecting dust, and was going to need an oil change. Second, our health-and safety approved racing driver was pregnant.

Don't ask.

With the boffins off to work on the car, I set about finding someone else dumb enough to join us on our misadventures. After placing an ad in the local paper, I began interviewing potential candidates. Looking over the resumés was like hiring for an executive postion. Every applicant was either a banker, lawyer, dentist, used car salesman, tax agent, dotcom nerd, or the wife any of the aforementioned. With such a dismal selection, our producer decided on a man named "The Todd," because he "wasn't that much of a wanker."

And he had Oakleys.
TheTodd.jpg

The Todd-Wanker

Meanwhile, the crew had sorted out an additional 7 Performance Points and 12 my-little-ponies from the meager 3.2-liter engine, bringing the total to 436 PP and 255 hp. Hans supervised the work, and although he wasn't exactly thrilled to see me, he was able to borrow a tweaked version of the TT from Audi's own Skunkworks. As long as testing went well, and "The Todd" didn't brick the engine, it'd be waiting for us at our hotel in Ahrweiler. To the track!
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 255 hp, Max. Torque: 240 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 436 PP

At the test track, we gave "The Todd" a crash course in how to handle an emergency on the track. His blank stare reassured us that the info was processed and understood. No matter. All we really need him to do is plant his foot a couple of times and look pretty for the camera, and judging by the looks of it, "The Todd" has been practicing his whole life for this very moment. Off the launch, and the TT punches through the quarter-mile in 0:14.778 seconds, and a 0-60 mph of 0:06.275.

To put things into perspective, that's +0.247 to 60 mph, but -0.159 faster in the quarter, compared to last week's Panda Trueno. However, the Audi's Quattro-ness helped in the launch, establishing a better grip level despite its tires.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:36.987, 0-100 mph: 0:15.856, Max. G-Force: 0.91G, Top Speed: 161.8 mph

Remember when I mentioned that the producer had something sinister in mind? Well, upon our arrival in Germany, we discovered exactly what that was. We were to take our stock TT, and a one-of-a-kind test TT (Testies?) to the Green Hell. We were being sent to our deaths.

Sir Jackie Stewart once referred to the Nurburgring Nordschleife as "The Green Hell," and said that he never did a lap there that he didn't have to. Looking at the footage from his days, it's easy to see why. Today the track is safer, but people die here every year.

Thanks to our producer, now it's our turn.
TTQuattro.jpg

First up, we were... I should say I was.. forced to take the bone-stock TT through a few laps of the GP circuit. Theoreticaly, this should prepare me for the speeds I'll be facing on the much larger track. And because the staff want to ensure that I alone am the one to die, the track has been completely cleared of all traffic and personnel.

Twenty-five minutes later, I'm back in the pit, triumphant and alive. Despite my best ham-fisted efforts, I was only able to coax the little TT to a best time of 2:31.382. I know I could have done better, but given the limited amount of time, and the need to TT myself, we called it there. During those laps, the car felt easily controlable until pushed. Even though the Comfort tires weren't ideal for this sort of thing, the Quattro all-wheel-drive multiplied the available grip levels, and the car felt communicative through the corners.

You just had to point the damn thing the right way. Honestly, I have no idea why hair-dressers buy this car. It's just going to end up in a tree. I don't buy the "enthusiast" argument because the all-wheel drive will either: a) convince bad drivers they are good, and/or b) kill them when they try to correct the upcoming collision.

The next morning we awoke to the promise of a new car and the full 14-mile track. Since I could hardly sleep out of sheer terror, I compiled a list of things I would need for such an event:

1. Last Will and Testament. Check.
2. Diaper in case fear causes unintentional "TT". Check.
3. Clear conscience with maker.

Uh-oh.
TT32Tuned.jpg

I was immediately hauled outside to check out the car that Hans has procured for us. No time to find a deity to believe in now. No salvation. No last minute call from the governor. My Audi coffin is here, and it's time to give the Devil... or whatever.. his due.

Outside, I'm greeted by a tricked out TT latherd in carbon fiber, and a lovely shade of unpronounceable blue. Racing slicks adore the custom rims, and out back a striking set of titanium-tipped exhaust pipes stick out the back. Do Audi accountants know about this? If they did, there couldn't possibly be a way that they could convince big brother Volkswagen that this was even remotely marketable. Without another thought, I'm thrown behind the wheel, and thrust to the track. Allegedly, this thing has 407 hp, 336 ft-lbs. of torque, and weighs only 1169 kg.

For those keeping score at home, do your own f'n homework. You won't learn anything if I do it all for you. Get off your arse and go play outside.

(Expletive), I'm wearing a Polo shirt...

On the track, the changes made to the car are immediate. Like before, this car inspires a homicidal sense of security. One minute you'll be taking corners feeling like you're on rails. The next few corners may even be the same. But as you push harder and harder, the TT also pushes harder, only against you. If you haven't learned the friction circle of the car before, you're definitely going to lose control. If you haven't learned how to induce the car into a turn, before the turn, you simply won't make it out alive. And above all else, if you should happen to look at a wall, you can be sure you'll kiss it soon.
TTTunedNurb.jpg

Audi will tell you that the "TT" stands for Technology and Tradition, and this may indeed be the case. However, after my short stint behnid the wheel of both cars, I've come away with a greater appreciation for how those two words are integrated into the car. When used properly, it will feel slow, but will actually be fast. When it feels fast, you'll be dead.

So the next time you feel abused because of a late fee at the bank, or your hair dresser ruins your hair, or your stock broker piddles your retirement away, or your dentist makes you hurt, or your ex-wife's divorce attorney is now her husband, or the IRS audits you, or even when some yuppy 1% pig cuts you off on the highway... don't get mad.

Get them an Audi, and watch them TT.​

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtplanet: GTKitty4Prez :gtplanet:. Please consult doctor before use. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Oakley. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.

Ed Note: RIP Davy Jones
Diese Woche bewerten, in Deutsch, für unsere deutschen Freunde.

Last edited:
Another good choice for COTW, nice to have a premium car so we can get some nice close up photos.

Thanks yet again for a great review McClarenDesign, I guess it's only a matter of time before the TT with Jenkins pics appear.

I have one of these TTs in my garage and I might buy another one if it's worth tuning a bit and adding a wing (must say it does look good with the carbon bonnet).

I'll try and take it for a spin today and report back. Will get some photos if nothing else.

I only really remember this from GT5P. Was very good in its 'Mid-Size Cars' class. I've only tried the TTS ever since then.

On the subject of this though, you have to wonder why the '03 is Premium when this is already here with exactly the same name but with 4 years less time being a car.

EDIT: I now give you this, which is a tune for said car:

Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro '07 (372bhp, 1400kg)

Was quite hard to get it to really work, actually.

Last edited:
C-ZETA
On the subject of this though, you have to wonder why the '03 is Premium when this is already here with exactly the same name but with 4 years less time being a car.

Hey, its not a Skyline.

This weeks car was easy to find, but I decided to go and recieve mine straight from the factory. Unfortunately I live in Australia so the drive home was going to be an adventure in itself.

Eifel (Circuit) by Milldrum, on Flickr
From the Audi catalogue.

As I was in the area, I thought about running it around 'The Ring.' But that was not to be as a small storm was closing in fast. Snow capped the mountains and blanketed the ground. I soon found out that the Audi TT was happy to go, not so happy to turn. But the storm had calmed so I took a happy snap before heading down a long back road that I was assured was a short cut.

Chamonix Mini by Milldrum, on Flickr

The road soon had no more snow on it as I took full advantage of the lack of Police on these roads. I had adjusted the power distribution and that immediately helped my cause. But the roads were to play another trick. Cruising at just below top speed, the road surface changed to gravel catching me off guard.

Liège (Gravel)_2 by Milldrum, on Flickr

Stones flicked up and dust clouded the trail where I had been. The all wheel drive was fantastic as it gripped through the loose surface. The car was back under control and I set it up for another happy snap or two.

Liège (Gravel) by Milldrum, on Flickr

Liège (Gravel)_1 by Milldrum, on Flickr

I drove and drove, over endless dirt roads. One more mountain range to defeat and then on to Tokyo for te waiting boat ride.

Eiger Nordwand W Trail by Milldrum, on Flickr

When I arrived at Tokyo, they were staging a 500PP race that I was allowed to enter. I do not know why they let me in, but they were shocked at the steady pace of the TT. They even took a winners photo for me.

Tokyo R246 by Milldrum, on Flickr

So with the car now driven from the factory to the ship to carry it to my home in Melbourne, Australia. I have decided to sell it on eBay. Like all good things in life, the newer version is out and I will be buying that one to replace this one.

So.... found this TT in my garage and gave it an oil change (255bhp and 436PP) and then had a quick go round the Nurburgring GP course on the standard Comfort Soft tyres.

Posted a not that quick 2:36.773 after a couple of laps, I'm sure I could do better, but didn't have time to spare.

It's a heavy car this and it doesn't accelerate anything like as quick as the previous Cars of the Week, but it is quite easy to drive with the 4WD.

Time for a pic, I took it to Kyoto to see Jenkins.

Rather than tweak this one I bought another from the dealer and did a bit of minor shopping and tuning, as well as a coat of GT Polarized paint and some shiny wheels.

Ended up with 306bhp and 469PP after buying the Sports ECU, Air Filter, Catalytic convertor, exhaust and manifold. With some aero parts on the front a big wing on the back as well for good measure.

With some Sports Soft tyres too it's off the Nurburgring GP course again for a 2:24.681 lap. Wasn't really pushing it here, but the soft tyres and a bit more power made a difference. A lot more to be gained by trimming some weight I would think.

Cheers

This weeks car is a joy (when tuned) to throw around the track. To do the brake in period I've been running the expert German car race in A-Spec at the 'Ring. Talk about fun. I'm not very good at the track, but I am loving it!!! Once fully broken in, I will post my tune here, at Clueless Tunes, and in the tuner wars.

Great pick. Lovely car. :dopey:

Here's some more pics of the painted TT, the colour is GT Polarized 003.

These are extra large pics taken with the 2x magnification and uploaded as slightly bigger than I normally do, so they may take a little longer to load.

Looks great even if I do say so myself.

Cheers

Well I picked the car for this week so its probably past time for me to share a few pictures of my own...
So here is ole Harvey Wallbanger and the "Devil's Due" visiting Jenkins and clawing the paving at Deep Forest.
Kyoto20-20Gion.jpg

Deep20Forest20Raceway-1.jpg

Deep20Forest20Raceway.jpg

This weeks car is a beautiful piece of German engineering. Set out to tune it for the Tuner Wars at Deep Forest, I found that this car is amazing at the 'Ring.

It's beautiful, fun to drive, and a great choice for this week 👍
Here are some pics of the car, and check out my three on one battle over in the Tuner Wars thread to see how it fairs. :dopey:

ahrweilergate.jpg

ahrweilerstreetv.jpg

ahrweilerstreet1.jpg

This week has definitely produced the best photos so far for a COTW (probably because it is the first premium!) but I have been so impressed by what you have all put out there. I haven't managed to get near my PS3 this week so I have yet to try it, but I definitely will tonight. Keep up the good work people!

Back