**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 30/03/12**

United Kingdom
Manchester/England
webbithegooner
Announcing the Eighth of the weekly series of CAR OF THE WEEK!

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car, give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

This is an experimental idea and the format is subject to change or development. The picking of the cars is still under discussion and any offers of help with this from anyone who has more GTPlanet experience than me (which is pretty much everyone!) would be very much appreciated.

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

After constantly surpassing himself with his now highly addictive stories, McClarenDesign once again has had the thrill of being the one to nominate this weeks car. After the hysteria surrounding the star of ‘Initial D’ last time, he has gone one further and added another Japanese cartoon superstar car to the list of COTW reviews.

So without further ado, this weeks superstar car is...

'71 Nissan Fairlady 240z

240Z_55.jpg

Fans of WanGan Midnight will know this as the ‘Devil Z’ (okay, not exactly, it isn’t quite the same car but for the purposes of this, it is) and so has a whole cloud of superstition and intruige surrounding it. May the next new adventure of the Devil Z be yours….

Milldrum
There is one of these parked 6 houses from mine. Should I ask the owner for a test drive?

Yes!!! But you might die. Still, it'll be fun.

Last edited:
-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff
"The blessing is very important. The priest's presence gives us much more faith, a stronger belief in a safer race that transmits to a greater faith in the presence of God's helping hand."
-Emerson Fittipaldi

Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)

A few days ago our producer called to inform me about this weeks car. Normally, I don't hear about what I'm driving until I show up at the office. It's a way for me to clear my head and cleanse the palate. Many other reviewers use this practice as a means of ensuring an honest critique of a car. Without it, sensations and memories often times get confused when it's time to convey them in print or on TV.

You can't ask a Top Gun fighter pilot to land an Airbus just after he's shot down Val Kilmer. You wouldn't put Buzz Aldrin in a Citroen 2CV upon returning from space.

Naturally, when I got the message that he'd called, I thought it a bit odd. Odder still, were the instructions to find a young priest and an old priest.

Oh (expletive).
SpecialStageRouteX_3.jpg

Icon. Some cars revolutionize the industry. Some revolutionize a particular market. Others still yearn for records at tracks they can't possibly pronounce. Icons, however, change everything. They change minds, philosophies, ideals... religions. Our icon is perhaps even a savior, providing a bright and shiny light in very dismal times, saving those who would only listen and believe.

So, if I'm to drive the automotive equivalent of Jesus Christ, what on Earth do I need two priests for?
Producer
It's the 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240Z.
The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!
SpecialStageRoute7-1.jpg

Everyone knows someone with a story about a Z car, and every one of those stories ends in one of two ways; death or taxes. During the gas crisis of the 70's, those in the know skipped the unreliable Britsh sports cars, saved a ton of money from the German exotics, and bought simple 240Zs. And nearly every one of those cars resulted in a fatality, or bankruptcy. If you still had your life, you'd find it wasn't worth anything once the local authorities received their due. IF you could get home in one piece, your glovebox would be stuffed with reminders of the speed limit.

What you didn't spend in the shop would be spent at the local city hall. Buying more officers and more cars to keep up with you, and the other local hooligans in their Zs. And, despite all of this, you'd gladly do it everyday.
Producer
Oh, and this week, we're testing both of them.
Excuse me? What?
DevilZ.jpg

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
The Nissan Fairlady Z was sold as the Nissan 300ZX outside Japan.
You know, this week we're doing the 240Z, right?
Translator-san
You put it in the script. And besides, this thing has more errors than Bill Buckner. My 2 year old has better grammar than what you've got written here.
Yes, but there's an asteri... you know what, nevermind, just continue.
Translator-san
Near the end of the 1960's, Japanese cars were starting to make a name for themselves in the international stage. One of the vanguards of this movement, was the Fairlady Z that debuted in 1969. Yutaka Katayama leading Nissan North America at the time convinced headquartes that "now was the time for a real sports car", and subsequently challenged European cars to a duel. The history of the Z began here.

One symbolic model of the Z is the 432. While other Z's were equipped with the type L engine, the 432 was given an S20, DOHC straigh-6 engine from the Prince R380. The "4" stands for 4 valves per cylinder, the "3" stands for 3 twin choke carburetors, and "2" stands for 2 camshafts. Its output was 158 HP, with a maximum torque 130.1 ft-lb.

This 432 also had a 432R racing spec model. Using a FRP hood for weight reduction, there were only 30 ever made.

But behind all this high performance was a lot of hard effort. The S20 was a sensitive engine, and it was said that the only ones who can make this engine really sing, were Nissan's own works mechanics at Oppama. That is why Nissan gradually shifted the position of the racing machine to the 240Z.

The U.S. spec 240Z, with its 2.4L type L engine was easy to work with, and its toughness and ability to push the car from any rpm range was its strong point. Once in racing sports, it performed well in safari races and international rallying such as in the Monte Carlo.

With this strong show of performance, the 240Z later began sales in Japan in 1971. Especially the 240ZG, known for its long "G nose" front end and bold over fenders became a huge hit, raising the name of the Z into a name brand in sportscars.

Good thing we've brought two priests. Only we didn't actually bring two priests. You see, Father Martin Bishop represents the Irish Catholic Church, while Nathan Papadopoulos is actually a Rabbi.

Well what do we know about religion? You don't hear about how much horsepower Noah's Ark made, do you? Then how can you imagine us being anything other than asleep at church? Perhaps if God gave Adam and Eve a Ferrari, we'd be in, but he didn't.

And we're not. And besides, it's too late now.
M_Bishop.jpg
N_Papadopoulos.jpg
Left: Father Martin Bishop, Right: Rabbi Nathan Papadopoulos

Emerson Fittipaldi once complained to his team that the car he was driving was "diabolical". Unsure of the exact meaning, the crew looked it up in the dicitonary, and promptly contacted a priest. The next morning, the priest performed an exorcism on the car, and each mechanic threw a spark plug into the sea.

The next race he won.

At the garage, we took delivery of our two Devils, and found them both wearing a blue dress. The Fairlady wrapped in an elegant Bay Side Blue, while the Datsun was sporting a Midnight Blue Pearl evening gown. The site of the two cars left our priests mesmerized. While they watched in secret lust, I went to have a word with the mechanic Nissan loaned us, a man by the name of Kou-chan, who has a silly haircut.

First up, My Fair Lady.

Performance as Purchased: May 20, 2011, Bay Side Blue (M), (Blue)
Displacement: 2,393 cc
Max. Power: 154 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 157 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,305 mm Height: 1,285 mm Weight: 1010 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 383
Mileage: 35,618.3 mi.

And the Datsun.

Performance as Purchased: February 28, 2011, Midnight Blue Pearl (Blue)
Displacement: 2,393 cc
Max. Power: 153 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 156 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,305 mm Height: 1,285 mm Weight: 1010 kg
Tires: Comfort (Soft)
Performance Points: 382
Mileage: 48,634.3 mi.

With Kou-chan's men on the job, we were relieved to find that the Fairlady was in excellent condition, inside and out. We spent 16,500 Credits on the engine, and a mere 27,500 on the body. For 41k, we didn't earn any additional performance, but we did purchase piece of mind. If this car had been in any fatalities, it sure wasn't showing any signs of them.

The Datsun yeilded the same results, although still not matching the power of it's Japanese counterpart. Kou-chan owes that to the mileage, saying some scars simply can't be removed. We're inclined to agree with him.
SpecialStageRoute7_1.jpg

Each week, we've handed our cars over to our guest drivers to establish baseline performance. Each week, we've also managed to scrap together the worst society has to offer, then give them a car and hope like hell they don't wreck it.

This week, however, would be different.

Instead, I'd be running the test data, and it'd be my job to make sure that the two priests become members of Japan's elite Mid Night Club.

Sounds easy enough. Drive in a straight line, then convince someone to put two silly little clergymen into a silly little video game on something called an xBox. How hard can it be?
Producer
No, not Midnight club, Mid Night Club.
Whatever.

At the track, and it's once again, ladies first. With minimal tirespin, I'm able to rocket of a quarter-mile time of 0:16.233 and a 0-60 mph time of 0:07.751. For comparison, that's over a second slower than the DeLorean we tested last week, but the car is also 30 years older.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:40.416, 0-100 mph: 0:20.529, Max G-Force: 0.52G, Top Speed: 138.7 mph

Out of the succubus, and into the Demon Datsun, I drop the hammer and give it the beans. This time around, the satanist returns a quarter time of 0:16.218 and a 0-60 of 0:07.742. Despite her age and battle scars, she's .015 faster in the quart-mile, and .009 faster to 60 mph. I know that doesn't sound like much, but remember, we've got to somehow get two men-of-whathaveyou up to 190 mph.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:40.547, 0-100 mph: 0:20.627, Max G-Force: 0.52G, Top Speed: 138.5 mph

SpecialStageRouteX_4.jpg

The HS30 was only available in Japan, but the Americans could get the "G-nose" installed as a factory option, and those were generally also referred to in the same manner. During our flat out run, the engine seemed to have more revs left in it, meaning our aerodynamics were limiting us. The "G-nose" has to remain, however, as it was Nissan's solution to high-speed front end lift. I don't think I need to mention how bad that can be.

The "G" in the moniker stands for Grand, which is a great adjective for the challenge ahead.

I'm sure the young Rabbi won't have a problem committing the sin of breaking the speed limit. He's got Yom Kippur, and thusly only needs one day of atonement. Father Bishop.. is that right?... is another matter entirely. Aside from the fact that he's 97, he does have a race history. A rather long one at that. Provided he survives, how many Hail Marys would this require? And, at 97, could he survive that?

Kou-chan and his spanner-weilding samurais went to work, quickly modifying nearly everything they touched. We were, however, disappointed by a few "compromises." First, no forced induction. Having a turbo, or supercharger, means more cooling, which also means removing the G-nose. Secondly, no other forms of proper front downforce. The only aero we could get was one of those AutoZone APC Paul Walker wings, which would do more harm than good for the holiest of street cred. What kind of hell would we be sent to if we took away two holy men's front downforce, AND remove any chance they have of turning down getting laid, by adding a Paul Walker wing?

For Kou-chan's hard work, we got an extra boost of 122 hp, slimmed down 152 kg, and salvaged 93 extra Performance Points.

You know, Performance Points. Kind of like Camel Cash, or Marlboro Miles...
For those that can't do math: Max. Power: 276- Fairlady, 275- Datsun, Weight: 858- both, Performance Points: 476- both

WanganMidNight.jpg

Finally, with Father in the Infernal Fairlady, and Rabbi Papadopoulos in the Demon Datsun, we sent them off on Japan's infamous Shuto Expressway. We had a few of the "official locals", whom knew some people, to officially time and score the event. It would be their sole determination whether or not we'd made it.

Through the first sector speed traps, things were looking promising. It'd be close, but they may squeak by and nail 190 mph. The second sector was just as promising, but as time came for the third sector, we heard the locals whispering to eachother.

And it didn't look good.

Five minutes later we were greeted by loud sirens and rushing first responders. Something bad had happened, and along the same route as our drivers. Sure enough, minutes passed, with only the Fairlady setting a time. The Demon Datsun still hadn't crossed.

Worse still, our third sector trap time looked too bleak to break the magic 190. Having driven both cars during the initial top speed tests, it's easy to see how aerodynamics can hold a car back from its full potential. Had we removed the nose, and stuffed a turbocharger or four, we'd be in like Flynn.

As it is now, days later, we're still missing both cars. The Rabbi passed away in a massive crash just after the turnaround, but Father Bishop gave a wonderfully heart warming eulogy.

Once the Japanese authorities had released him.

And decided to keep the car.

Despite all of this, we've come away with a few lessons. We've discovered how beautifully wreckless Japanese exotic street racing can be. We've learned the answer to the forces of nature is more power, and a damn-it-all ability to take risks. We've also learned that pushing a car with such a short wheelbase may sometimes be hazardous, particularly over 170 mph.

We're still alive (well, this week), we've manage to put two beautiful, iconic sports cars through their paces, and I've done all this without receiving a single speeding ticket. Okay, the Father got a few, but I bet Jesus helps him pay those.

Still, all in all, I'd say it was a rather good day.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Perry Ellis. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience.
Ed. Note: RIP Rabbi Nathan Papadopoulos (182 Wins/3754 Races)

Last edited:
I think this car will be nice. If only time would allow me to be. I want to drive it.

Edit: I think the standard wheels are so bad that they just have to stay. :ill:

Last edited:
Another retro Japanese car for the COTW and another I haven't driven.

I picked the Fairlady version from my garage and gave it an oil change and a coat of Nissan Lightning Yellow paint.

First of all a go round the Ring and it's good, seems to handle nicely and doesn't lose grip easily. The lap time was 9m28s which was 18 seconds faster than the BMW 2002 which was a recent COTW.

I didn't really like the look of the standard wheels so off to GT Auto again for some new "rims". Looking at Mclaren's review I seem to have chosen the same wheels.

Next was a spin round a custom track where I set the time to early morning to get some photos lit by the sun low in the sky.

For what it's worth the 1/4 mile time was 16.587s with 60mph coming in 8.198s.

All in all another good choice for COTW as it's different and it is a nice fun drive.

Cheers

I wanted to add a set of togue rims, but they weren't available. BBS was the best I could do.

Don't be greedy. ;)

I love the horrible wheels on this. They are so bad that there is nothing else like them.

Have you looked at the ZZII wheels??

Great pick on the car - brings back great memories from my youth. I MISS YOU 240Z!

Back