Car & Tune Reviews (Backtesting favorite tunes on 1.04)

• Thread starter pipntick
  • 147 comments
Many thanks for the review. I'm glad that you eventually had a bit of fun with it. I use a DS3 and am generally a little aggresive in style which may help to explain a few things.

I am a complete amateur when it comes to tuning and relied heavily on the great tunes on the forum in GT5 but I've decided to give it a go myself with GT6 using some of the tips I have picked up over the past year or so (Mostly from Praiano, Hami and the RKM team, so big thanks to you guys!) This is the first tune I have done from scratch and I am really happy to see that someone has taken the time to review it. Your feedback is appreciated. :cheers:

I am currently working on another couple of cars but I am going to revise the LFA soon as I have found that although it works really well for me on tracks like GVS, Fuji and Apricot Hill I have found it a real handful on tracks which are a little flatter like Indy RC and Monza. Any suggestions anyone has would be welcome.
Actually, I had a lot of fun with it! When in adventurous mood I tend to abuse of powersliding on corner entry, drift the car until aligned to the road and slam the throttle. Your tune works perfect for that and I did many laps that way... I was happy to see how much abuse it was able to handle. Kudos on your first tune from scratch!

Thanks pipntick, glad you like.

I think your thread along with XS' directory will be a huge help to the community and allow a lot of people to spend a little less time searching through the tuning forum and more time putting the tunes they find to some good use. I hope your thread will be recognised for the valuable tool that it is and gets a nice big STICKY real soon.

Keep up the great work!

Ford RS200 - Stock

While I had this car test list, I was not sure what to expect of it. The initial impression was that of relative oversteer and low tolerance to abrupt input. The gearbox felt too spread out and added to the sensation of the car being slow.

However, it didn't take long to find the steering sweet spot. There is no body roll and a quick flick in steering while accelerating produced a nice and smooth drift, albeit slow. When the corner is entered at the right speed, once the car starts to rotate one can return to the throttle and continue to accelerate through all but the sharpest corners.

There is little drama here, the car is very forgiving over kerbs and in the grass. As expected, anything softer than Soft Hards will make it feel glued to the road. However, it does not like input at high speed, so speed needs to be moderated accordingly and input well planned, precise and delicate.

Acceleration and braking are composed, except for hard braking in uneven surfaces, where the car will drift towards the inside. After a while, found the true power band for this gearbox to be in the 6750-8100 rpm range, and staying took a lot of attention. Top speed was 250kph/155mph.

Last edited:
Ford RS200 - COTHO (click on title for source)
@XDesperado67 was kind enough to request a review of his RS200 tune, and I am glad he did. He added 10pp to this car by giving it about 20hp more while taking away almost 40kgs. He also adjusted the weight distribution to be perfectly balanced.

The result is a very planted car that has parted with almost all oversteer. In long bends understeer may be felt, although it may be because this car can corner much faster than the stock settings. The suspension creates a hint of body roll, nothing that may bother anyone. However, these settings allow the driver to "feel" the road much better, not in a rattling or jerky way, but in a smooth and useful manner.

There is still the opportunity to upset the car to go sideways on demand with simultaneous and heavy steering and throttle, which I am happy is still there. It did, however, surprised me a number of times during long, relatively narrowing and fast corners like Drei-Fach Rechtes, where I downshifted half way and the car head out straight for the outside barrier. This for me is a first and will try to replicate with other 4WD cars.

The gearbox is an improvement over stock, but I kept missing the power band between 4th and 5th as it feels like they are too far apart. This may have been necessary to accommodate the long straights, but given how quickly the car can reach 4th gear, I think there is opportunity to gain a few seconds by further optimizing. Top speed achieved was 250kph/155mph (same as stock).

All in all, a robust tune that dropped 13 seconds of my lap times right away and makes possible a 8 minute run (which I didn't achieve but was quite close, good drivers should easily surpass).

Ford RS200 '84

The Ford RS200 marked the end of "Killer B's" and stands in stark contrast to the Quattro. Using the latest technology from Formula 1 it was designed from the ground up to be a top Group B car. Unlike the leather clad option rich Quattro, the Homologation version is merely a detuned race car with bare minimum changes made to make it "road legal".

B Sharp

Parts List
Do oil change or HP, Torque and PP won't match!
Tires Sport Hard - Sport Soft
Suspension
Height-Adjustable, Fully Customizable Suspension
Racing Brakes

Drivetrain
Fully Customizable Dog-Clutch Transmission
Fully Customizable Mechanical Limited Slip Differential (FCMLSD)
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
Torque-Distributing Center Differential (T-DCD)

Power
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Body
Weight Reduction; Stage 3
Carbon Hood (Body Color)
Aero Parts
Wheels; Stock

Settings

Suspension
Ride Height 115/115
Spring Rate 7.94/6.89
Compression 3/3
Extension 4/4
Anti-Roll Bars 5/4
Camber 0.4/0.4
Toe Angle 0.00/+0.20
Brake Balance 3/4

Drivetrain
Transmission Set Max Speed (Auto Set) to 162mph (Default Speed when installed)
1st 3.900
2nd 2.600
3rd 1.800
4th 1.320
5th 0.950
Final 4.200

FCMLSD
-Initial 20/20
-Acceleration 15/20
-Braking 20/20
T-DCD 45/55

Power
Power Limiter 99.2%

Body
Ballast 53kg at -10

The car has following stats:
Performance Points 450PP
Max Power 276HP
Max Torque 232ft-lb
Weight 1,145kg with a 50/50 weight distribution.

Note: These were both tuned in online racing at Nürburgring Nordschleife where they have proven to be quite competitive.

The Audi will generate a slight tendancy to understeer when pushed to the limits, while the Ford feels a bit looser and drives more like a MR than the typical 4wd. Despite their diferences in handling they'll both produce nearly identical times on the ring.

Last edited:
I forgot to thank you, Pipntick, for the critic of my Abt Audi TT-R.
The only drama about the car in my opinion is the top speed. She won't go further than 300-330km/h, for that PP anybody would expect something better.

This is my best braking car (unless talking about F1/Group C), for the PP though. It's a good car to bring on a slow tracks for the same PP, that's why it's good on the Nür. Accel is good too, until she reach +/- 250-270km/h. Then she's a snail :)

I forgot to thank you, Pipntick, for the critic of my Abt Audi TT-R.
The only drama about the car in my opinion is the top speed. She won't go further than 300-330km/h, for that PP anybody would expect something better.

This is my best braking car (unless talking about F1/Group C), for the PP though. It's a good car to bring on a slow tracks for the same PP, that's why it's good on the Nür. Accel is good too, until she reach +/- 250-270km/h. Then she's a snail :)
You are welcome. I am glad you requested this review, as this car was not in my to-do list and is now a favorite! Will keep an eye on other tunes that pop for it.

@pipntick thanks for the review.👍👍
Gearbox is a direct result of my driving an automatic which PD has decided will only upshift at redline...regardless of cars actual power band.:drool::lol:

Audi Quattro - Stock
At 406pp, I can only compare the experience of driving this car stock to driving a couch, extremely slow and very heavy. I was never able to go fast enough to pose a threat to the SH tyres (used in part of the test as it is the hardest compound for the tune that is to be tested next). At stock pp, it needs Comfort Mediums to show signs of life.

This car can cover 90% of the 'ring without braking, probably more a function of the tyres than the car itself. There is, however, mid corner understeer. The tyres will also squeal with every input as small as it may be.

The stock gearbox can fit a mid size horse in between each gear. Top speed was 230kph/143mph, reached at the very end of the long straight.

Audi Quattro - COTHO (click on title for source)
This is the second part of the review requested by @XDesperado67 . In this case, he has added a full 44pp and changed the weight distribution to the stock car and with that given it life.

This version is a minute faster than stock, is well planted, has no body roll, and is stable under hard braking and acceleration. There is some understeer from mid corner to exit, which can be fixed by entering slower than the car can tolerate and accelerate throughout the bend.

The suspension makes the car quite responsive, the heavy feeling and the tyre squealing are gone. There is however, less tolerance to track edges and grass, as well as lateral acceleration, but not to the point of becoming a major issue. Applying the throttle under heavy steering will upset the car into a slow and smooth drift.

The gearbox is much better and properly spaced. This tune yielded a top speed of 250kph/155mph and delivers a car that is responsive and alive.

Audi Quattro '82
The Audi Quattro actually predates Group B. It took advantage of rules changes allowing 4wd and its dominance in rally event's from '80-'82 was a driving force in the creation of Group B. Unlike many of the "Killer B's" that followed it including later "evolution" versions of it, the car wasn't designed from the ground up as a race car. Instead it was designed as a luxury sport Coupé with the benefit of 4wd. Produced for over a decade with only minor changes it helped forge an identity for Audi and set an example for many other car companies.

Ur-Quattro
Parts List

Do oil change or HP, Torque and PP won't match!
Tires
Sport Hard - Sport Soft
Suspension
Height-Adjustable, Fully Customizable Suspension
Racing Brakes
Drivetrain
Fully Customizable Dog-Clutch Transmission
Fully Customizable Mechanical Limited Slip Differential (FCMLSD)
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
Carbon Drive Shaft
Torque-Distributing Center Differential (T-DCD)
Power
Engine Stage 3
Sports Exhaust
Catalytic Converter Sports
Body
Weight Reduction; Stage 3
Carbon Hood (Body Color)
Window Weight Reduction
Wheels; Stock

Settings
Suspension
Ride Height
125/125
Spring Rate 6.61/6.25
Compression 2/3
Extension 3/4
Anti-Roll Bars 5/6
Camber 0.4/0.4
Toe Angle 0.00/+0.05
Brake Balance 3/4
Drivetrain
Transmission
Set Max Speed (Auto Set) to 174mph
1st 3.300
2nd 2.250
3rd 1.550
4th 1.125
5th 0.800
Final 3.800
FCMLSD
-Initial 20/20
-Acceleration 10/20
-Braking 10/20
T-DCD 40/60
Power
Power Limiter
97.6%
Body
Ballast
90kg at +50

The car has following stats:
Performance Points 450PP
Max Power 272HP
Max Torque 270ft-lb
Weight 1,145kg with a 54/46 weight distribution.

Last edited:
Hello Pip, I really like your writing style for your tune reviews! Are you a journalist or writer by profession? Just a thought.........would you consider posting your Nordschleif lap times for each review and perhaps implementing a numerical rating system? Keep up the great work, thanks again for your contributions....cheers!

Pipntick…eh, mind if I keep it to "Pip"? The rest is hard to remember. :lol: Love what you're doing here, since it means small guys like me can come up, ask in a kind voice for a review and then force you into a deathtrap of sorts.

Anyway, would you mind testing my RX7? I'd like to see how it fairs in your hands. No worries, this isn't the aforementioned deathtrap. I hope.

@pipntick thanks for giving my "Killer B's" a go.👍👍
You are welcome. I used your Quattro for the National A 4WD Challenge and it was a walk in the park.

Pipntick…eh, mind if I keep it to "Pip"? The rest is hard to remember. :lol: Love what you're doing here, since it means small guys like me can come up, ask in a kind voice for a review and then force you into a deathtrap of sorts.

Anyway, would you mind testing my RX7? I'd like to see how it fairs in your hands. No worries, this isn't the aforementioned deathtrap. I hope.
:lol: Pip is totally fine! Thank you for the kind words.

I will be happy to try your RX7, will add to the list shortly. Thanks for requesting! My to-test list is shaping up awesome for this weekend.

Hello Pip, I really like your writing style for your tune reviews! Are you a journalist or writer by profession?
I wish! But sadly no. I work in Finance/Investments. Thank you for your comment though, it makes me feel quite good! :sly:

Just a thought.........would you consider posting your Nordschleif lap times for each review and perhaps implementing a numerical rating system? Keep up the great work, thanks again for your contributions....cheers!
I considered what you are suggesting when conceived the thread and decided not to at the time because:
a) I am not the best driver so didn't think my lap times were representative of what people can achieve
b) My driving style could favor a tune over another and create a misleading leaderboard
c) A rating system would reflect my opinion of the car and not unbiased facts about how it performed

However, I created this thread hoping my having fun would benefit others, and if the forum finds value in additional info I am happy to include it. In other words, I am VERY open to suggestions!

I considered what you are suggesting.................

I am intrigued with creating a quantitative review method that would overcome the a), b), c) obstacles you mention. FITT does it quite well for multiple testers and multiple cars in each of their tuning competitions, but for a single tester managing a tunes review thread, do you think a numerical rating system like this might have value?:

1) Mechanical Performance - unbiased facts how well car components work together to perform on the track
2) Laptime Performance - Relative laptime performance of each car to one another (a constantly changing number for each car you have tested, where if you have tested a total of 16 cars in your thread, then the fastest car you've tested has a rating of "1", the slowest "16")
3) Driving Style Performance - How well the car tune fits your (pipntick's) own personal driving style

For me that would be a valuable way to compare cars, but perhaps could be misunderstood by others(?)

Thanks for your reply, I really like what you're doing here!

Cheers!

I am intrigued with creating a quantitative review method that would overcome the a), b), c) obstacles you mention. FITT does it quite well for multiple testers and multiple cars in each of their tuning competitions, but for a single tester managing a tunes review thread, do you think a numerical rating system like this might have value?:

1) Mechanical Performance - unbiased facts how well car components work together to perform on the track
2) Laptime Performance - Relative laptime performance of each car to one another (a constantly changing number for each car you have tested, where if you have tested a total of 16 cars in your thread, then the fastest car you've tested has a rating of "1", the slowest "16")
3) Driving Style Performance - How well the car tune fits your (pipntick's) own personal driving style

For me that would be a valuable way to compare cars, but perhaps could be misunderstood by others(?)

Thanks for your reply, I really like what you're doing here!

Cheers!
This is very interesting. What I once had in mind was a list of attributes desirable in a good tune (i.e. absence of over/understeer, absence of gaps in transmission, stability in accel/braking, tolerance to input and lateral accel, etc), that could be scored factually as true/false, and give points to each. Higher scores would mean lower "defects". This way tuners would know where work was needed to change a score.

Where it broke down for me is that I thought this would result in killing a car's "personality" (i.e. would favor a Cobra or Elise that had no oversteer), it would produce cars that behave the same way.

Then I though of just creating a checklist this attributes and score the qualitatively so the reader could determine fitness to their driving style. For instance, Corner understeer could be catalogued as on entry, mid, on exit and mild, medium, strong, but I wondered if this would be too much for somebody to read.

The closest I came to producing rating was by saying which style did I think a tune would favor most. So I would score the car from 1=best for conservative to 5=best for aggressive.

Regarding lap times, I considered a list with the fastest car on top (no time) and the rest of the cars ranked based on how many seconds apart from the top car they are, which would look like this:
1. Ferrari FXX - Dante (RS)
2. Ferrari FXX - Praiano (RS) +2s
3. Zonda R - Blueshift (RS) +7s
4. Ferrari FXX - Stock (RS) +9s
23. Audi Quattro (SH) +118s

I would love to hear opinions about all this, it would be great if something structured came out of it!

Last edited:
I think something like that works, but it'd be better still to organize it by PP, since it's pretty pointless putting an FXX on the same leader board as an Audi Quattro. :lol:

I think the 1-5 aggressiveness rating is a really good idea. Theres also some cars that favor the precise inputs of a wheel over the using a DS3, that would be worth a mention because some cars are not as user friendly with a controller.

I don't think that the lap time list like above would be giving very much info unless it is divided by model. It seems that it would only be useful to differentiate between tunes of the same car. However, a list of your favorites with a few words as to why would be cool. Maybe a top 5 or 10 ? That way a less powerful car with a great tune can shine through instead of being at the bottom of a lap time list.

Pip, well there certainly seems to be interest in adding a quantitative component to your superb qualitative methodology and you have definitely given some thorough thought to it. Last year I had mentioned an idea in the FITT Thread for a Shootout where the winner was declared to be the Tuner who (thru average lap time results from the Testers) achieved the most improved lap time of their stock vs. tuned car entry, declared as a percentage of stock lap time / tuned lap time. That could be yet another quantitative attribute to augment what you've started here. Keep up the great reviews, I will definitely spend time with the cars you test here!

Cheers!

Nissan Skyline GT-R(R32) '89 - Stock
There is little to say about this car. At 453pp, it behaves like most skylines do. It is responsive to most input, there is noticeable body roll, and yet there is understeer from entry to mid corner. Is generally well composed, reliable and forgiving provided you don't corner too fast.

Half of the test was conducted using Comfort Softs, compound used in the tune that will be reviewed next. I also tried the stock SHs, which I believe to be the right tyre for the car. The difference in performance was 26 secs, which did not scale the same way with softer compounds. Also, with SHs the car and tyre were failing at about the same time in the more technical parts of the track.

The gearbox is nothing to write home about, 1st to 3rd gear perform well. Fourth gear felt excessively long and 5th was only engaged 3 times in the long straights. Top speed achieved was 260kph/162mph.

-----And now, a test on additional information, open to feedback-----
Agressiveness (1=Safe, on rails. 5=pilot's car): 1. Car is very difficult to upset.
Control (1=Best suited for DS3. 5=Best suited for wheel): 1. No precise input required.

Nissan Skyline GT-R(R32) '89 - Ridox (click on title for source)
This review is in response to @Ridox2JZGTE kind request. With this tune, he gives the car an extra 30+pps, by increasing power with the addition of performance parts (except turbo) balanced by the addition of ballast without impacting the weight distribution.

There is also extensive suspension work, specially in spring height, that result in a car much more responsive and alive. There is still understeer, although more controllable. Some oversteer can now be produced on corner exit with heavy acceleration, resulting on powerslides in most but the sharpest corners.

While this creates a more entertaining experience, it also introduces sensitivity to kerbs and track edges, and somehow adds braking distance. There were no changes to the gearbox, but the additional power allowed the use of 5th gear more often than stock. Top speed however, stayed at 260kph/162mph.

Oddly enough, the gain in pp did not result in important gains in lap times (roughly 5 secs). I can only attribute this to the now required delay in full throttle application at corner exit to avoid oversteer that the car can't handle.

Agressiveness (1=Safe, on rails. 5=pilot's car): 2. Throttle oversteer can now be induced and leveraged to clip the apex in a more aggresive line
Control (1=Best suited for DS3. 5=Best suited for wheel): 2. High speed steering input and throttle control require can not be sloppy.

BEE Racing NISSAN Skyline R32 GTR '89 400PS
Tuned to replicate BEE Racing R32 GTR - Comfort Soft

Specs
Horsepower: 400 PS at 6900 RPM
Torque: 347.2 ft-lb at 4900 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Weight: 1500 kg
Ballast : 70 kg
Ballast Position : 16
Weight Distribution : 54/46 as stock
Performance Points: 486

GT AUTO
Oil Change
Improve Body Rigidity ( Optional ) - there's no bad side effect of this, highly recommended - NOT INSTALLED in this build
Wheels : +2 Inch Up - RAYS TE37SL in Silver
Car Paint : Steel Silver

Tuning Parts Installed :
Sports Computer
Sports Exhaust
Catalytic Converter Sports
Intake Tuning
Twin Plate Clutch Kit
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD
Torque Distributing Center Differential

LSD - NISMO GT PRO CARBON - optimal low preload
FRONT 1.5 way

Initial Torque : 25
Acceleration Sensitivity: 36
Braking Sensitivity: 17

REAR 2 way
Initial Torque : 11
Acceleration Sensitivity: 30
Braking Sensitivity: 30

Torque Distributing Center Differential
Front/Rear Torque Split : 30:70

Suspension -BUDDY CLUB Racing Spec Coil Over
Front, Rear
Ride Height: 90 95
Spring Rate: 11.84 9.86
Dampers (Compression): 2 3
Dampers (Extension): 4 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 3
Camber Angle: 2.9 1.3
Toe Angle: 0.00 0.14

Brake Balance :
9/4 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 3/1, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 7/5 brake balance as starting point.

Mazda RX-7 Bathrust R - Stock
Can not remember the last time I drove am RX-7, probably back at the start of GT5. This is probably the reason why the reliability of this car surprised me. All around composed, the perfect amount of over/under steer to have personality. Sharp, responsive, happy to take input at high speed.

There is a minimum amount of body roll, enough to be noticed and create a nice feeling while cornering. The sense of weight transfer seems to attract you to the apex of the corner, yet the car can not be upset in Sport Softs and is completely controllable all the way down to SHs.

The gearbox shows the same as many stock settings, with the higher gears too far spaced, yet there is enough power to use them all. Top speed achieved was 265kph/165mph, which was surprisingly slow given how fast the car feels.

In any case, a great car right out of the dealership, with little to be corrected. An excellent platform for tuning.

Agressiveness (1=Safe, on rails. 5=pilot's car): 1. Car is dependable and forgiving. Not quite glued to the road but very hard to upset.
Control (1=Best suited for DS3. 5=Best suited for wheel): 1. Takes all kinds of input without drama.

Mazda RX-7 Bathurst R - COTHO (click on title for source)
@Onboy123 suggested I give his RX-7 a try, which was a great suggestion as I enjoyed the experience. His tune adds 230hp, removes 164kgs and gives the car 90pp.

Given the size of the change, I was impressed by the result. The car went from something safe to enjoy relatively fast laps without much effort, to something that behaves like a race car.

The result is a pilot's car. Fast and composed launch, safe braking, a suspension that allows the driver to decide how much dynamism the car is to have in the corners. The price of entry is that much more precise input is required, I can't imagine this being enjoyable with DS3 buttons, although certainly quite capable with thumbsticks.

The headline for me however, was the transmission. There is so much torque everywhere, and the powerband is so wide that I even had to modify my driving by delaying downshift to midcorner and exit one gear higher that I would consider optimal, just so I could keep the car in the right line. Top speed was 320kph/200mph, which is higher than advertised.

Agressiveness (1=Safe, on rails. 5=pilot's car): 3/4. A handful at the beginning, with practice this car can do a lot. The platform has limitations with lateral acceleration, preventing a higher score.
Control (1=Best suited for DS3. 5=Best suited for wheel): 3. Wheel users will get the best out of this car, but DS3 can squeeze a lot of dynamism provided thumbsticks are used and driver can deliver input in small increments.

Mazda RX-7 Bathurst R '01 "Rot"
Source and Parts list:
Buy from: Dealership
Oil Change: No

Paintjob: Burning Red
Wheels: stock

aero : stock

Weight Reduction: Stage 2
Window Weight Reduction: No
Carbon Hood: No
Chassis reinforcement: No

ECU Tuning: Yes
Engine Tuning: Stage 3

Intake Manifold: Yes
Exhaust Manifold: Yes
Catalytic Converter: Yes
Exhaust: Racing

Turbo: Stock

Transmission: Yes
Clutch: Triple Plate
Carbon Drive Shaft: Yes
LSD: yes

Suspension: FC

Tires: SS

The Tune
Ballast weight : --
Power Limiter : 100%
Aero: 0/0
Transmission
Top Speed: 112, Final Gear: 2.500
1st: 4.030
2nd: 3.227
3rd: 2.562
4th: 2.004
5th: 1.585
6th: 1.210

Approximate Top Speed: 176mph
LSD
Initial: 15
Acceleration: 17
Braking: 10

Suspension
Ride height: 90/90
Spring rate: 8.85/8.55
Dampers (Compression): 3/3
Dampers (Extension): 4/4
Anti-roll bars: 4/4
camber: 0.0/0.0
Toe angle: -0.05/0.20
Brake balance: 5/6

ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF
tuned with a DS3

The car has 550 PP, weighs 1096Kg with a 50/50 front/rear weight
distribution, has a power to weight ratio of 2.16 kg/hp, has 506hp/7500rpm and produces 368 ft-lb torque/5500rpm

Thanks for the test, glad the botched gearbox worked out. Its previous gearbox was too short, top speed was at 170mph which it reached almost instantly. :lol: And yea, it needs you to make small adjustments, but it's so nice when you get it right.

Nissan Skyline GT-R(R32) '89 - Ridox (click on title for source)
This review is in response to @Ridox2JZGTE kind request. With this tune, he gives the car an extra 30+pps, by increasing power with the addition of performance parts (except turbo) balanced by the addition of ballast without impacting the weight distribution.

There is also extensive suspension work, specially in spring height, that result in a car much more responsive and alive. There is still understeer, although more controllable. Some oversteer can now be produced on corner exit with heavy acceleration, resulting on powerslides in most but the sharpest corners.

While this creates a more entertaining experience, it also introduces sensitivity to kerbs and track edges, and somehow adds braking distance. There were no changes to the gearbox, but the additional power allowed the use of 5th gear more often than stock. Top speed however, stayed at 260kph/162mph.

Oddly enough, the gain in pp did not result in important gains in lap times (roughly 5 secs). I can only attribute this to the now required delay in full throttle application at corner exit to avoid oversteer that the car can't handle.

Agressiveness (1=Safe, on rails. 5=pilot's car): 2. Throttle oversteer can now be induced and leveraged to clip the apex in a more aggresive line
Control (1=Best suited for DS3. 5=Best suited for wheel): 2. High speed steering input and throttle control require can not be sloppy.

Thanks for the solid feedback :) The 70/30 torque distribution makes the car more fun on exit and as I built it to replicate the real car, PP does not really matter as my real aim was to replicate the power, weight, LSD, suspension etc. What I did when driving the car was to trail brake and aimed at the apex, often still braking when nearing the clipping point, this somehow works to avoid excessive understeer, I am hapy with the score based system and the result, thanks again :cheers:

Oh, by the way, I have made a simple tune fix for the Audi LMS Ultra Team Phoenix, if you are interested to give it a go, the tune is on my sig :) I will invite you to a conversation about the car, some others are in it too. Should be fun.

Last edited:
I think the 1-5 aggressiveness rating is a really good idea. Theres also some cars that favor the precise inputs of a wheel over the using a DS3, that would be worth a mention because some cars are not as user friendly with a controller.

I don't think that the lap time list like above would be giving very much info unless it is divided by model. It seems that it would only be useful to differentiate between tunes of the same car. However, a list of your favorites with a few words as to why would be cool. Maybe a top 5 or 10 ? That way a less powerful car with a great tune can shine through instead of being at the bottom of a lap time list.

Thanks for the input. As you may have noticed, I am giving the aggressiveness and control ratings a try, let's see what the feedback is. Hopefully everyone understands that they do not mean that the tune is good or bad, only what style of user may benefit most of it.

Pip, well there certainly seems to be interest in adding a quantitative component to your superb qualitative methodology and you have definitely given some thorough thought to it. Last year I had mentioned an idea in the FITT Thread for a Shootout where the winner was declared to be the Tuner who (thru average lap time results from the Testers) achieved the most improved lap time of their stock vs. tuned car entry, declared as a percentage of stock lap time / tuned lap time. That could be yet another quantitative attribute to augment what you've started here. Keep up the great reviews, I will definitely spend time with the cars you test here!

Cheers!
I really appreciate your input. I will also be adding my top 3 tunes per PP range to the OP, which will be constantly updated. I like the idea of improvement vs stock. I would also like to add at some point how much the tune was able to keep a car's personality while managing to address its key problems. Like trying to figure out what is the best Lotus Elise that is still a Lotus Elise, don't know if that makes sense.

Uh…mind me poking at you again? :lol: This time, it's something that looks like an absolute waste of your time, but if I could toss enough time at it to make 4 revisions to the tune…well, you know, it might just be worth 5 minutes of your day to try it. :lol:

This guy
. Thanks again. Don't worry, no learning required for this one. I hope, anyway.

Back