Car & Tune Reviews (Backtesting favorite tunes on 1.04)

• Thread starter pipntick
  • 147 comments
^ Thanks for bothering to drive it. Yea, not too impressive in terms of speed, but you have no idea how much it took just to get it to that level. :lol: Ah…I promise the next cars I get you to drive will at least attempt to keep you awake. If not with its speed, it'll be with whatever PD's attempt at the sound of a screaming performance engine is.
I enjoyed this drive quite a bit, is relaxing and allowed me to explore the track with ease. This tune I am keeping for those days when a leisurely experience is needed (like coming back from work stressed :lol:)

I enjoyed this drive quite a bit, is relaxing and allowed me to explore the track with ease. This tune I am keeping for those days when a leisurely experience is needed (like coming back from work stressed :lol:)
As long as you keep a cool head and aren't trying to catch NSXs all of a sudden, it's all good. :lol: I'll poke you with a few LFAs and Zondas and other noisy cars later, enjoy the calm while it lasts. :lol:

Just finished my latest replica, this one is one of my all time favorite from Best Motoring Tuned Car Battle :

Knight Sports FD3S MAZDA RX7 Spirit R Type A '02 Special Edition ( Best Motoring Tuned Car Battle N tire ) 402PS-541PP Comfort Soft

The real one capable of 1:03.010 at Tsukuba on normal tire ( street tire ), my best test lap ( similar pace and line as BM video ) was 1:03.005 on comfort soft and no aids :D I am sure this one will be enjoyable ride :cheers:

Another one, this one is VTEC TURBO Beast :lol:

Top Fuel Zero 1000 Turbo Monster Honda Civic Type R '97 EK9 388PS-526PP Sports Medium

Last edited:
Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R33) - Ridox (click on title for source)
Review requested by @Ridox2JZGTE . I didn't know what to expect from this car with so much horsepower and hard compounds. After a couple of difficult laps, the behavior became clear. This car needs to be driven with care and planning in a slow-or-you-won't-make-it style. With that philosophy I was able to produce my first ghost with a lap of 7.05, and started to improve from there.

There is a lot of understeer, which can only be corrected by controlling your speed. The tail won't brake, the brakes won't stop you, only restrain can make this car turn. This tune is needed in my garage to help me correct lead-foot syndrome when it pops as it usually does every now and then. After a few laps throttle control is natural again.

The transmission was left stock and allowed the car to achieve a top speed of 340kph/211mph. It will take a much better pilot than me to make this a daily driver. The recommended Comfort Softs were too much for me to handle in a way that will make the experience entertaining, so I eventually switched to Sports (hard and soft). Also it was obvious to me that I was leaving performance on the table.

KUROKI Nissan Skyline BCNR33 GTR Vspec '97 ( Wangan Midnight )
Tuned to replicate Wangan Midnight Takayuki Kuroki R33 GTR 800HP-Comfort Soft
CAR : Nissan Skyline R33 GTR Vspec '97
Tire : Comfort Soft

Specs
Horsepower: 801 HP at 8100 RPM
Torque: 579.5 ft-lb at 5700 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Weight: 1540 kg
Ballast : 0 kg
Ballast Position : 0
Weight Distribution : 54 / 46 as stock
Performance Points: 613

GT AUTO
Oil change
Improve Body Rigidity ( INSTALLED in this build ) - there's no bad side effect of this, highly recommended.
Flat Floors Type
Aero Kits Type A
Rear Wing Custom Type A or use standard wing for authenticity
Wheels : +2 Inch Up - BBS RS painted in Gold Metallic or +1 Inch Up BBS RE MG for alternate version
Car Paint : White ( stock from dealership )

Tuning Parts Installed :
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Computer
Semi Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter Sports
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD
Racing Brakes Kit
Triple Plate Clutch Kit
Carbon Drive Shaft
Torque Distributing Center Differential

AERO
Rear : 100

LSD ( NISMO GT 1.5 way front and GT PRO CARBON 2 way rear - low preload )
FRONT
Initial Torque : 16
Acceleration Sensitivity: 36
Braking Sensitivity: 5

REAR
Initial Torque : 7
Acceleration Sensitivity: 30
Braking Sensitivity: 30

Torque Distributing Center Differential
FRONT/REAR = 30 : 70 - if wanted more rear grip balance, use 40 : 60.

Suspension - Buddy Club Racing Spec Coil Over
Ride Height: 80 90
Spring Rate: 12.00 10.00
Dampers (Compression): 2 3
Dampers (Extension): 4 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 4
Camber Angle: 1.0 1.5
Toe Angle: 0.00 0.12

Brake Balance:
9/7 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 7/5, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :
Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 7/5 brake balance as starting point.

Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R33) - Ridox (click on title for source)
Review requested by @Ridox2JZGTE . I didn't know what to expect from this car with so much horsepower and hard compounds. After a couple of difficult laps, the behavior became clear. This car needs to be driven with care and planning in a slow-or-you-won't-make-it style. With that philosophy I was able to produce my first ghost with a lap of 7.05, and started to improve from there.

There is a lot of understeer, which can only be corrected by controlling your speed. The tail won't brake, the brakes won't stop you, only restrain can make this car turn. This tune is needed in my garage to help me correct lead-foot syndrome when it pops as it usually does every now and then. After a few laps throttle control is natural again.

The transmission was left stock and allowed the car to achieve a top speed of 340kph/211mph. It will take a much better pilot than me to make this a daily driver. The recommended Comfort Softs were too much for me to handle in a way that will make the experience entertaining, so I eventually switched to Sports (hard and soft). Also it was obvious to me that I was leaving performance on the table.

Thank you for driving one of my Wangan Midnight replica, I was afraid that the car would crash a lot around race track as it was built for highway battle, I hope that's not the case when you tested it :lol: The understeer, does it happen more on exit or on entry ? I would guess it often happens on low to mid speed corners. I tuned the car to be stable at very high speed ( over 300kmh ) on SSR7, so it might have some impact on other aspects as a result. All in all, its great to hear such replica being driven, it's pretty rare to have replica tunes based on anime here in Gtplanet :D

Thank you for driving one of my Wangan Midnight replica, I was afraid that the car would crash a lot around race track as it was built for highway battle, I hope that's not the case when you tested it :lol: The understeer, does it happen more on exit or on entry ? I would guess it often happens on low to mid speed corners. I tuned the car to be stable at very high speed ( over 300kmh ) on SSR7, so it might have some impact on other aspects as a result. All in all, its great to hear such replica being driven, it's pretty rare to have replica tunes based on anime here in Gtplanet :D
You are welcome. The understeer is on entry, but once on the right line the car behaves very well through the corner. A few laps in I figured the best way of dealing with it was early turn and lift oversteer combined. I can definitely see the behavior you mention at high speeds, the car was great in Tiergarten as I was going from 340 to 100kph.

I am going to update my Audi R8 LMS Ultra Phoenix soon, the new tune ( suspension + LSD only ) while the rest are stock, 528HP, no oil change, 599PP on RH tire is capable of 2:04s at Bathurst and 1:22s at Brands Hatch GP, several seconds faster than previous tune I posted on my garage :) Hopefully, this car will be competitive against the rest GT3 cars :D Will let you know when it's updated.

Audi TTS Coupe - COTHO
Review requested by @XDesperado67 . Within 10 seconds of driving this car it is clear that this will be a safe endeavor. After one minute I had to stop the lap and check if I had forgotten to turn off TC, ASM, SKF.

Grip is what one would expect from a car like this, but it hardly matters because the LSD does an incredible job to prevent the car from losing its path. With enough speed one can feel the car pushing towards the outside at mid corner, and then immediately locking into place still in the proper line. Great job!

Those that like more sideways action may not be as happy, but then again this tune excels in control, even at high speeds. Forgiveness to kerbs, grass, edges is second to none, but the car will tend to drift a little under heavy braking in uneven or curbed surfaces.

The gearbox gives an initial impression of being too short, but it works well. Top speed was 290kph/180mph. I continue to grow impressed by the TT safety as a platform, and this tune is very good for beginners and more experience drivers alike.
Valkyrie
Audi TTS Coupé '09

Thrúd
Parts List

No oil change or HP, Torque and PP won't match!
Tires Sport Hard - Sport Soft
Suspension
Height-Adjustable, Fully Customizable Suspension
Racing Brakes
Drivetrain
Fully Customizable Dog-Clutch Transmission
Fully Customizable Mechanical Limited Slip Differential (FCMLSD)
Twin-Plate Clutch Kit
Torque-Distributing Center Differential (T-DCD)
Power
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Computer
Sports Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter:Sports
Body
Weight Reduction; Stage 3
Carbon Hood (Body Color)
Window Weight Reduction
Paintjob; Black Cherry Metallic (paint from Chevrolet Chevelle)
Aero Kit; Type A
Rear Wing; Custom Wing-Type B
Wheels; Inch up 1 Oz Racing Botticelli III (black spoke, painted GT6 Chrome 015)
Settings
Suspension
Ride Height
105/105
Spring Rate 9.93/9.15
Compression 1/2
Extension 2/3
Anti-Roll Bars 6/6
Camber 0.4/0.4
Toe Angle 0.00/0.00
Brake Balance 3/4
Drivetrain
Transmission

Set Final to 6.000
Set Max Speed (Auto Set) to 112mph (all the way left)
1st 3.200
2nd 2.250
3rd 1.700
4th 1.300
5th 1.000
6th 0.750
Final 4.000
FCMLSD
-Initial 10/14
-Acceleration 12/16
-Braking 10/14
T-DCD 35/65
Power
Power Limiter
99.4%
Body
Downforce
0/10
Ballast 106kg at +50
The car has following stats:
Performance Points 500PP
Max Power 377HP
Max Torque 323ft-lb
Weight 1,265kg with a 53/47 weight distribution
Note: If rear feels to loose increase rear downforce slightly, if it feels to tight reduce the rear downforce.

I am going to update my Audi R8 LMS Ultra Phoenix soon, the new tune ( suspension + LSD only ) while the rest are stock, 528HP, no oil change, 599PP on RH tire is capable of 2:04s at Bathurst and 1:22s at Brands Hatch GP, several seconds faster than previous tune I posted on my garage :) Hopefully, this car will be competitive against the rest GT3 cars :D Will let you know when it's updated.
I look forward to it!

@pipntick thanks for the review of the Valkyrie.👍👍

Ol'Harvey Wallbanger isn't the greatest driver and with his DS3 needs a fairly stable car if he is going to have a chance at keeping up with the crowd he normally races the ring with. The TTS provides both a stable forgiving drive and enough straight line speed to see him getting on the podium fairly regularly.:D:gtpflag:

I'm sure there are a number of faster cars for time trialing, but in race conditions they can be hard to push to their limits while the TTS lets you wring nearly everything it has out of it even while racing.:cheers:

*poke*

"Yo buddy, you still alive?"[/waits to see if anyone gets the reference]

Anyway, as "promised", no more calm drives around the Ring with the next cars from me…here's the keys and here's hoping you've got a fairly sizable wallet, things will get expensive.

This noisy thing and this slightly less noisy thing, if you've still got any money left after the first link.

*poke*

"Yo buddy, you still alive?"[/waits to see if anyone gets the reference]

Anyway, as "promised", no more calm drives around the Ring with the next cars from me…here's the keys and here's hoping you've got a fairly sizable wallet, things will get expensive.

This noisy thing and this slightly less noisy thing, if you've still got any money left after the first link.
Now you are talking! ;)

... and thanks friend. See you again. :)

....I'm sure there are a number of faster cars for time trialing, but in race conditions they can be hard to push to their limits while the TTS lets you wring nearly everything it has out of it even while racing.:cheers:
You are correct, and that is actually the pace I try base these reviews on.... thinking more about consistency than breaking records. This TTS can be driven all day non stop and lap times will be within seconds, is as balanced as car can get.

My god, that last line. It took me so long to catch the reference, I feel ashamed. *facepalm*
:lol: but I did get the first reference right correct?

I have finished updating my R8 LMS ULTRA Phoenix tune :

AUDI R8 LMS Ultra ( Audi Sport Team Phoenix ) '12 ver. 1.03 - 528HP, 599PP Racing Hard

I did consistent 1:22s at Brands Hatch GP and 2:05s at Bathurst when testing :) In same lap time region as other GT3 cars with oil change.
Thanks, I'm going to skip the line and test this today. I want this car to be good so desperately :P

Audi R8 LMS Ultra (Phoenix) - Ridox
This will be a short review for 2 reasons: 1) @Ridox2JZGTE has done it, providing us with a workable R8 LMS Ultra that can be competitive, and 2) because his tune includes so many pointers to personalize the experience that I have homework to do.

In any case, the difference to pre-1.03 is very noticeable. This tune delivers a car that is sharp, responsive and agile. I only had access to a DS3 for this test so went with the recommended brake balance of 5/4 and sens of +7 (the only sens I can drive with for some reason). The result is a car that can be twitchy at times but is perfect if you can be accurate with your input.

This R8 is very stable and forgiving with kerbs and edges. It does not love uneven surfaces so avoid full throttle in those areas (especially Fuchsrohre). Corner exit can be tricky if restrain is not applied when accelerating, I obtain best results with 3/4 throttle in all but tightening corners (like Ex-Muhle if you are on the inside line).

The stock transmission only allowed a top speed of 298kph/185mph, but we have instructions to fix this. Overall, great work and thanks for returning the R8 LMS to my favorites!

AUDI R8 LMS Ultra (Audi Sport Team Phoenix) '12 RIDOX ver. 528HP 1250kg - NEW UPDATE Ver 1.03
CAR : Audi R8 LMS Ultra ( Audi Sports Team Phoenix ) '12
Tire : Racing Hard
Specs

Horsepower: 528 HP at 8000 RPM
Torque: 397.8 ft-lb at 6500 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Weight: 1250 kg
Ballast : 0 kg
Ballast Position : 0
Weight Distribution : 45 / 55 as stock
Performance Points: 599
GT AUTO
No oil change yet - feel free to do so.
Improve Body Rigidity ( optional - not installed in this build ) - there's no bad side effect of this, highly recommended.
Wheels : Stock
Car Paint : Stock
Tuning Parts Installed :
Racing Exhaust
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD
Racing Brakes Kit
AERO :
Downforce Front / Rear : 350 / 730 ( STOCK - please adjust according to track ) - try to maintain 250-500 gap value between front and rear or adjust to suit your style ( less gap will make the car looser in high speed + slight top speed increase less rear used )
LSD - 2 way high preload - improved
Initial Torque : 30
Acceleration Sensitivity: 22
Braking Sensitivity: 46
Higher braking to reduce rear chatter when coasting and trail braking, reduced acceleration to reduce understeer and sudden changes in traction when under extreme load, initial torque optimized for balance between stability and response.
Suspension - improved
Front, Rear
Ride Height: 75 85
Spring Rate: 14.45 20.50 ( medium setup )
Dampers (Compression): 6 4
Dampers (Extension): 7 10
Anti-Roll Bars: 6 3
Camber Angle: 0.2 0.0 ( alters the balance of grip between front and rear - higher camber up front reduce the front sensitivity to steering to make it less twitchy ) I recommend between 0.2 to 1.2 - adjust to style and track.
Toe Angle: -0.10 0.10 - increase rear toe in if want more stability, I recommended no more than 0.24
For Spring Rate F/R- alternative soft setup : 11.24 / 15.97 or hard setup : 17.94 / 25.47 or super hard : 19.64 / 27.88 -TESTED
Transmission
Stock gearing, only alter final to suit track.
Brake Balance
9/5 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 3/2, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.
Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 5/4 brake balance as starting point.
[/B]

Audi R8 LMS Ultra (Phoenix) - Ridox
This will be a short review for 2 reasons: 1) @Ridox2JZGTE has done it, providing us with a workable R8 LMS Ultra that can be competitive, and 2) because his tune includes so many pointers to personalize the experience that I have homework to do.

In any case, the difference to pre-1.03 is very noticeable. This tune delivers a car that is sharp, responsive and agile. I only had access to a DS3 for this test so went with the recommended brake balance of 5/4 and sens of +7 (the only sens I can drive with for some reason). The result is a car that can be twitchy at times but is perfect if you can be accurate with your input.

This R8 is very stable and forgiving with kerbs and edges. It does not love uneven surfaces so avoid full throttle in those areas (especially Fuchsrohre). Corner exit can be tricky if restrain is not applied when accelerating, I obtain best results with 3/4 throttle in all but tightening corners (like Ex-Muhle if you are on the inside line).

The stock transmission only allowed a top speed of 298kph/185mph, but we have instructions to fix this. Overall, great work and thanks for returning the R8 LMS to my favorites!

Awesome !! I am so glad the car doing well, I spent in total over 1000km racing, tuning and testing the car :lol: I love it, it's faster than the other GT3 cars on 600PP.
If you feel the car front end is too twitchy on low speed corners, increase front camber to 0.3 or higher, but don't go any higher than 1.2 ( less grip with higher camber ), for medium/high speed, play with downforce value - find a good balance that feels neutral, for me stock aero value works great.

I'm excited to drive Ridox's R8, it just so happens that I decided on a street R8 for a 600pp tune. It will be interesting to see what the times are. I'll send it your way soon pipntick. Still trying to work out some random suprise understeer.

Thanks for your requests! I will pass on the Storia as I am trying to focus now on 550+ pp, but happy to try the Stagea. :D

I'm excited to drive Ridox's R8, it just so happens that I decided on a street R8 for a 600pp tune. It will be interesting to see what the times are. I'll send it your way soon pipntick. Still trying to work out some random suprise understeer.
Looking forward to it!

Lamborghini Diablo GT2 - Praiano
One of the reasons I am doing these reviews is to help me discover new cars by forcing me to test things I wouldn't have tried otherwise. In this case, @praiano63 Diablo GT2 has become and instant favorite.

The dynamics of the car as I perceive them are hard to explain. For me, this car does not turn.... it rotates. When you steer, the car will point in the exact direction you want it to, but will continue to move in the direction it was going. This until enough traction exists for it to go in the new direction. In addition, there is immediate response to all input, always in a composed an consistent fashion.

This opens a world of possibilities for somebody with my driving style, as I can take any entry line and let the car go sideways until is aligned with my desired exit line as long as I gauge the throttle/brake properly. I have never had so much fun driving a Lambo in GT.

The Diablo is not for the time trialist, as there are plenty of faster cars at this PP level. The recommended settings only achieved a top speed of 289kph/178mph. Yet, it will be difficult to find this kind of fun in other cars, or other options that allow you to explore as much of the track. My hat off to the author.

lambo diablo gt2 98 update2.jpg

Lamborghini Diablo GT2 - Praiano
........The dynamics of the car as I perceive them are hard to explain. ................

Pip, I've also not been able to come to terms with just what exactly is going on with this car, why it does it and why I love it. I hope to unlock some of it's dirty little secrets this year in order to infect a few other cars with it's toxic appeal. :drool:

making sure you are still alive man ! I've got my 600pp R8 and 550pp LFA v.2 ready. It is exponentially faster. I was over 2 seconds faster on the GP/F track...or is it GP/D ? lol I'm going to start a garage page so that I will have something to link to for anyone that wants them.

Back