Carbs, Trans Fats, Fatty Foods, Heart Disease - Wrong Again

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 125 comments
They always say this will give you cancer, but then a few years later say its not going to give you cancer.

Give me a $250,000 grant and i will explain how having a baby will give the baby cancer.

The saddest part is an entire generation has cooked using margarine in place of butter.

Yea this is a major change in thinking. Eggs and bacon, followed by meat and fish for the day is more healthy than grains and fruit? I mean holy crap. Vegetable oil is worse for you that lard? Trans fats were bad, but the substitute that all of the restaurants have jumped to is even worse?

I'm just gonna eat what I want and assume nobody knows anything about nutrition.

The concept of diets that produce low amounts on insulin and/or blood sugars has been around for a while, although I didn't know about the scientific inaccuracies in the original "fats are bad" research. You can see a lot of diets these days that are based mostly around proteins/fats though.

As far as I'm aware, the human animal needs protein and fat to live. If you go without either one, you will eventually die. You don't need carbohydrate, it's simply an efficient energy form.

It does explain a lot about why populations in general seem to be so fat these days. Because the average meal has shifted to something higher in carbohydrates than perhaps it once was.

I moved to a low carbohydrate diet a while ago. I feel healthier, I've lost significant weight, I feel fuller when I'm done eating, although I probably eat less, and I can eat more delicious foods without feeling like I'm sacrificing my health to do so. Meat is delicious. All I miss is lollies, and they're not that great anyway, really.

It's amazing how many people still think vitamin C is a cure all. Influential studies from decades ago can be extremely powerful in public perception, no matter how flawed the original science was.

As a food enthusiast, I can accurately say that it is not the exact food that you eat, but how you cook that food that determines whether or not it is healthy for you.

Grilling your food? Food police are particularly hateful to charcoal. However, you can get great food if you properly select your coal before hand. Natural coal is best because it contains no additional chemicals or fillers that briquettes contain, so that you can maintain a nice even burn over a longer period of time. What chemicals that occur naturally in natural coal burn out before you introduce your food to the grilling surface, so you get a pleasant heat to cook your food. Propane grills have a particular advantage over charcoal because it doesn't smoke, however the heat that is uced by these grills is water vapor, heated to extreme temperatures that you don't see the "smoke."

Deep frying your food is a possible health hazard if you don't know how to do it properly. Yes, a lot of people do get the typical golden brown and delicious result from fried foods correct, however, where fried foods get fatty is that a lot of people don't know how to make a proper draining rig for your foods. A lot of home cooks stack a lot of paper towels on a plate and on top of that went your fried goods. While that may seem good on paper, if you are frying for a lot of people, the resulting oil from the newly fried foods would drip down to the already drained foods. A proper rig should consist of wire racks, turned upside down, in a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. The wire rack would safely drain away oil from the fried item to the parchment, which does a lot better job at absorbing oil than paper towels could.

Hope that helps you.

I'm already changing my choices based on the OP article. I'm not buying lean ground beef anymore (full fat for me), and I won't cook with vegetable oil anymore. It's unclear whether olive oil is lumped in with the article, but probably I should cook with butter.

Also, I'll probably choose the fatty version of anything over the "low fat" or "non fat" version.

Folks read that article and then consider this:

Breads.jpg

371e143eb23a5abc70ce6406f9831d00.jpg

article
The problem is that carbohydrates break down into glucose, which causes the body to release insulin—a hormone that is fantastically efficient at storing fat. Meanwhile, fructose, the main sugar in fruit, causes the liver to generate triglycerides and other lipids in the blood that are altogether bad news. Excessive carbohydrates lead not only to obesity but also, over time, to Type 2 diabetes and, very likely, heart disease.

The real surprise is that, according to the best science to date, people put themselves at higher risk for these conditions no matter what kind of carbohydrates they eat. Yes, even unrefined carbs. Too much whole-grain oatmeal for breakfast and whole-grain pasta for dinner, with fruit snacks in between, add up to a less healthy diet than one of eggs and bacon, followed by fish. The reality is that fat doesn't make you fat or diabetic. Scientific investigations going back to the 1950s suggest that actually, carbs do.

This one is also a shocker:

article
Cutting back on saturated fat has had especially harmful consequences for women, who, due to hormonal differences, contract heart disease later in life and in a way that is distinct from men. If anything, high total cholesterol levels in women over 50 were found early on to be associated with longer life.
Sticking to these guidelines has meant ignoring growing evidence that women on diets low in saturated fat actually increase their risk of having a heart attack. The "good" HDL cholesterol drops precipitously for women on this diet (it drops for men too, but less so). The sad irony is that women have been especially rigorous about ramping up on their fruits, vegetables and grains, but they now suffer from higher obesity rates than men, and their death rates from heart disease have reached parity.

Last edited:
I didn't realize this was new. My dad was diabetic and we knew that a low-carb diet helped him out. He avoided bread if at all possible. Of course, being old and stubborn like so many other guys he didn't follow the diet for very long.

Bottom line is that if you take in more carbs than you expel you're going to gain weight. Take in less and you'll lose weight. You need to keep that in balance so you don't flood your system with glucose and pack on fat. Also, don't eat a big meal with lots of carbs immediately before bed. Eat a smaller meal or do some activities before you go to bed.

I'm not sure how the whole "metabolism" thing factors in. I've always been thin despite eating like a cow at times. I've noticed some fat gain in the last 5 years but still haven't cracked 150 pounds - I don't work out but that combined with more food is probably the only way I'd gain weight effectively. I mean, I can down two burgers from Five Guys and be hungry 4 hours later every day and not gain a pound by the end of the week.

I didn't realize this was new. My dad was diabetic and we knew that a low-carb diet helped him out. He avoided bread if at all possible.

The general thinking is that sugars = diabetes. I think if you told someone that you ate a lot of whole grain breads and fruits that they would not pick you for diabetes.

I'm not sure how the whole "metabolism" thing factors in. I've always been thin despite eating like a cow at times. I've noticed some fat gain in the last 5 years but still haven't cracked 150 pounds - I don't work out but that combined with more food is probably the only way I'd gain weight effectively. I mean, I can down two burgers from Five Guys and be hungry 4 hours later every day and not gain a pound by the end of the week.
I'm the same way, but more recent as I've gained 5-6 pounds over the last year or so. Although I remain below 130lbs, I fear I will be crossing that mark shortly. My diet sucks, which consists of too much fast food and no real "hand made" meals as I don't know how to cook, nor do I have the energy to spend 20 minutes to an hour cooking something when I get home from work. The most time I ever spend on anything is those store bought pre-packaged stir fry packs which take roughly 10-15 minutes to cook. I usually eat half, then save the other half for lunch the next day.

I do try to eat somewhat healthy at times, and recently gave up soda (this was hard, a couple days after I was having caffeine withdrawals like mad) but as this thread is about, I may be eating too many carbs and that could be my weight gain problem. I admit I do need to game some weight, but not fatty weight...

One analysis is not enough to change dietary advice, says James Blankenship, MD, director of cardiology at Geisinger Medical Center.

In the analysis, the researchers themselves cite a number of caveats and limitations, such as study participants self-reporting their fat intake.

In response to the study, the American Heart Association says its guidelines remain the same. For heart health, it recommends a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, fish, nuts, and unsaturated fats.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20140320/dietary-fats-q-a

"Don't spend so much time looking at food labels," Blankenship says. Instead, he says, go to the grocery store's produce department and load up.

Not so fast, fruits and veggies don't appear to be unscathed in all of this.

The AHA recommendations will have to change as a result of this. Their recommendations are not based real science. I don't blame them for not changing the recommendations in the face of uncertainty - at this point who's to say what's right? But what they've been preaching over the last 50 years is unsubstantiated and actually looks to be counter-productive.

In fact, after reading that article, I think the biggest recommendation I have is that no one should listen to the AHA... probably ever.

We need @FoolKiller in here.

As a food enthusiast, I can accurately say that it is not the exact food that you eat, but how you cook that food that determines whether or not it is healthy for you.

Grilling your food? Food police are particularly hateful to charcoal. However, you can get great food if you properly select your coal before hand. Natural coal is best because it contains no additional chemicals or fillers that briquettes contain, so that you can maintain a nice even burn over a longer period of time. What chemicals that occur naturally in natural coal burn out before you introduce your food to the grilling surface, so you get a pleasant heat to cook your food. Propane grills have a particular advantage over charcoal because it doesn't smoke, however the heat that is uced by these grills is water vapor, heated to extreme temperatures that you don't see the "smoke."

Deep frying your food is a possible health hazard if you don't know how to do it properly. Yes, a lot of people do get the typical golden brown and delicious result from fried foods correct, however, where fried foods get fatty is that a lot of people don't know how to make a proper draining rig for your foods. A lot of home cooks stack a lot of paper towels on a plate and on top of that went your fried goods. While that may seem good on paper, if you are frying for a lot of people, the resulting oil from the newly fried foods would drip down to the already drained foods. A proper rig should consist of wire racks, turned upside down, in a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. The wire rack would safely drain away oil from the fried item to the parchment, which does a lot better job at absorbing oil than paper towels could.

Hope that helps you.

To a small degree yes but overall, no.
If you cook vegetables in a gallon of water for hours yes, their nutritional value is gone completely.

The whole concept of "healthy food" as a whole is so wrong that it's not worth arguing over smaller issues.
I can eat nothing but mcdonalds for a year and come out of it "healthier" than someone eating nothing but "healthy" foods but at the same time I could eat nothing at all for 2 weeks and watch my vitals improve(other than electrolyte levels and such).

I'm already changing my choices based on the OP article. I'm not buying lean ground beef anymore (full fat for me), and I won't cook with vegetable oil anymore. It's unclear whether olive oil is lumped in with the article, but probably I should cook with butter.

Also, I'll probably choose the fatty version of anything over the "low fat" or "non fat" version.

Folks read that article and then consider this:

Breads.jpg

371e143eb23a5abc70ce6406f9831d00.jpg

This one is also a shocker:

Not sure if serious...
This is the exact reaction that people probably shouldn't be having from the article. Let's eat fats because they're good for us. They play a big role in staying healthy and in hormone regulation but you shouldn't stuff your face full of them.
Having said that, when I ate around 120-130g fats per day, my mood and general outlook were much more positive.

Not so fast, fruits and veggies don't appear to be unscathed in all of this.

The AHA recommendations will have to change as a result of this. Their recommendations are not based real science. I don't blame them for not changing the recommendations in the face of uncertainty - at this point who's to say what's right? But what they've been preaching over the last 50 years is unsubstantiated and actually looks to be counter-productive.

In fact, after reading that article, I think the biggest recommendation I have is that no one should listen to the AHA... probably ever.

We need @FoolKiller in here.
You're giving this article way too much credibility. WHere are the sources and studies that it's based on? You're so quick to dismiss everything else and put all your faith in WSJ yet they give nothing to back up their claims.

I'm not disagreeing with the WSJ as many of the things they state I've read about years ago but you seem to be jumping to extremes.

As for the fruit, I recently heard of a lady who started eating lots of organic fruit/veggies but had a tendency to stick to the same 2-3 kinds. Well, guess who ended up with cancer a decade down the road? Too much of a "good thing" I guess.
Have a varied diet, know your limits, and you'll be fine.

I didn't realize this was new. My dad was diabetic and we knew that a low-carb diet helped him out. He avoided bread if at all possible. Of course, being old and stubborn like so many other guys he didn't follow the diet for very long.

Bottom line is that if you take in more carbs than you expel you're going to gain weight. Take in less and you'll lose weight. You need to keep that in balance so you don't flood your system with glucose and pack on fat. Also, don't eat a big meal with lots of carbs immediately before bed. Eat a smaller meal or do some activities before you go to bed.

If you take in more calories than you expel, you'll gain weight.
Metabolism does play a factor. I know tiny guys, 5'7" 140lbs, who lose weight eating 4000 calories daily and sitting at a desk all day. I maintain at 3000 calories with heavy lifting 4x a week and biking 3x a week while being 6'2" 225lbs.

Eating often does not speed up your metabolism just like eating 1 or 2x a day doesn't slow it down. Just think about it. If you eat 2000 calories in one sitting vs eating 2000 over 5 meals, your body still has to process that 2000 calories and in both instances takes just as long.

Last edited:
Yea this is a major change in thinking. Eggs and bacon, followed by meat and fish for the day is more healthy than grains and fruit? I mean holy crap. Vegetable oil is worse for you that lard? Trans fats were bad, but the substitute that all of the restaurants have jumped to is even worse?

I'm just gonna eat what I want and assume nobody knows anything about nutrition.

Articles about saturated fats not being bad for you have been around for a while. I thought about posting a thread about it a few years ago. My research began with google and typing in "is saturated fat bad for you" and "is cholesterol bad for you". The more I read, the less I trusted nutrition articles. Both sides have supporting research.

This is one of the things I read:
http://www.thincs.org/Malcolm.choltheory.htm

I don't think so. Olive oil, especially extra virgin, should mainly be used as dressing, for lack of a better term. Cooking oils, in their nature, degrade over time and extended fry sessions. If you do have to use olive oil for frying, just make sure that you don't deep fry with it. Corn oil is a lot cheaper, lasts longer, and has a higher smoke point than all of its other contemporaries, with the possible exception of Vegetable oil, which is generally unhealthy for you anyways because it is an oil blend.

Not sure if serious...
This is the exact reaction that people probably shouldn't be having from the article. Let's eat fats because they're good for us. They play a big role in staying healthy and in hormone regulation but you shouldn't stuff your face full of them.

Yes and no. Life's also a lot more enjoyable if you're not a 400 pound monster. There's a balance to be struck.

I think that what's really being talked about here is eating things that can give you a heart attack or some nutritional disorder like diabetes. Maintaining weight by balancing calories with exercise is something I was taking as an assumed backdrop for the discussion.

You're giving this article way too much credibility. WHere are the sources and studies that it's based on? You're so quick to dismiss everything else and put all your faith in WSJ yet they give nothing to back up their claims.

I don't know that I'm giving the article any credibility besides believing them when they claim that the studies that all of the doctrine that we've all been pounded over the head with for decades are flawed and that they shouldn't be listened to. Suddenly I'm being demonstrably told that everything I knew about what constitutes a healthy diet for long life is was based on basically thin air. This means I should change my behavior in the short term - not to jump the other direction, but to stop my efforts to listen to these made-up guidelines.

I think that what's really being talked about here is eating things that can give you a heart attack or some nutritional disorder like diabetes. Maintaining weight by balancing calories with exercise is something I was taking as an assumed backdrop for the discussion.
If you balance calories, you'll balance the intake of the things that can give you these disorders.

The problem is that carbohydrates break down into glucose, which causes the body to release insulin—a hormone that is fantastically efficient at storing fat. Meanwhile, fructose, the main sugar in fruit, causes the liver to generate triglycerides and other lipids in the blood that are altogether bad news. Excessive carbohydrates lead not only to obesity but also, over time, to Type 2 diabetes and, very likely, heart disease.

The problem is that this doesn't matter unless you eat an EXCESS of carbs or anything for that matter.
Fun fact, excess protein also breaks down to glucose in order for the brain to "feed". Let's not eat protein.
Carbs are usually the bad guy in these discussions because they're easiest to eat when in a caloric surplus. Add to that they keep you full the shortest amount of time among the 3 macros and are usually cheapest. So if someone is eating in a surplus they are probably eating carbs and here comes another study saying carbs=cause of everything.
These studies have so many glaring holes it's ridiculous.

You are right, @eSZee, but we have to give some credibility to the study at hand. Michelle Obama is trying to cram down our children's throats these new dietary guidelines that put more emphasis on a reduced calorie diet with more fruits and vegetables that it is not even funny. The sad part is that while the USDA(the department enforcing this massacre of a plan) mandates that 2,000 calories are to be eaten in a day, athletes, in particular linemen in football (American) need at least 4,000 calories to maintain weight so they can be effective on the field. [This as you well know if you take any dietary training, you maintain weight by burning off as much calories as you intake in a day.]

What will happen if Michelle succeeds in her plan is that diabetes will become even more of an epidemic.

I live by "Food: enjoy more". As opposed to "Food: enjoy more".

High quality small amounts of naughty food. High quality small amounts nutritional food. That, in conjunction with taking time to appreciate that quality.

Works for me.

The interesting thing is though, if you're eating moderate to small amounts of carbohydrates, it's actually really pretty hard to overeat. Protein/meat doesn't contain that much energy. Oil does, but it's fairly disgusting in large quantities and most people's bodies tend to just say "thanks, but no more thanks". Trying to eat lots of something like beef mince is tough work.

Carbs/sugars/fruits are where it's so easy to just eat until you're full, and it's a massive overdose of energy. Then people try to energy budget on carbs, and it's bloody hard because you always feel hungry.

The human body is pretty good at telling you when it's had enough meat or fat. It's not great at telling you when you've had enough sugar, probably because back in ye olde evolutionary days it wasn't exactly in abundance most of the time and people who scoffed sugar when they got the chance probably had a better shot at making it through the winter.

I'm not so much a fan of Paleo diets and the like, because they seem more like a hipster fad than anything, but the idea of your diet being more or less what thousands of years of evolution have conditioned your body to accept is a pretty good one. It's only relatively recently that humans have had ready access to carbohydrates in quantity.

The interesting thing is though, if you're eating moderate to small amounts of carbohydrates, it's actually really pretty hard to overeat. Protein/meat doesn't contain that much energy. Oil does, but it's fairly disgusting in large quantities and most people's bodies tend to just say "thanks, but no more thanks". Trying to eat lots of something like beef mince is tough work.

Carbs/sugars/fruits are where it's so easy to just eat until you're full, and it's a massive overdose of energy. Then people try to energy budget on carbs, and it's bloody hard because you always feel hungry.

This.

If you listen to what our government is telling us, try to regulate your calorie intake and avoid fat - stick to grains (carbs), it's exactly the problem illustrated above.

I'm the same way, but more recent as I've gained 5-6 pounds over the last year or so. Although I remain below 130lbs, I fear I will be crossing that mark shortly. My diet sucks, which consists of too much fast food and no real "hand made" meals as I don't know how to cook, nor do I have the energy to spend 20 minutes to an hour cooking something when I get home from work. The most time I ever spend on anything is those store bought pre-packaged stir fry packs which take roughly 10-15 minutes to cook. I usually eat half, then save the other half for lunch the next day.

I do try to eat somewhat healthy at times, and recently gave up soda (this was hard, a couple days after I was having caffeine withdrawals like mad) but as this thread is about, I may be eating too many carbs and that could be my weight gain problem. I admit I do need to game some weight, but not fatty weight...
Built like an F1 driver. You should probably start racing go karts or something! How tall are you if you?

If I'm not mistaken, cities in Arizona are pretty flat, right? Perfect for bike easy bike riding. Get a bunch of carbs in your system and then go on a fast ride for a couple hours. Drink a protein shake when you get back.

Built like an F1 driver. You should probably start racing go karts or something! How tall are you if you?

If I'm not mistaken, cities in Arizona are pretty flat, right? Perfect for bike easy bike riding. Get a bunch of carbs in your system and then go on a fast ride for a couple hours. Drink a protein shake when you get back.
I'm around 5'6", maybe a hair under 5'7". According to a BMI chart I am in the correct weight bracket. Where I am is pretty flat, but not really into street biking. I am looking to get a mountain bike though fairly shortly.

Back