Cars above 400 pp are not realistic online

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mulan
  • 35 comments
  • 3,730 views
Messages
974
Sweden
GOTHEBURG
Ive been online a while now. And what i realise more and more is that the realistic races are the ones wit cars that are not superpowered, actually the original cars are the best (premium ones without altering engine, springs and so on).
They(the altered, tuned) just dont behave real, more arcade. People cut corners, drive over grass and so on with out any problem. No sliding at all.
No, the real thing is less powered cars. This is when it all falls into place in GT5.
So is it just me or are others like me too that think that GT5 and supertuned cars dont behave correctly in turning and handling online or am i totally wrong ( i havent been inside a supercar in a race driving 300km/h over curbes).
 
No.
The problem is that everyone uses racing soft tires. That plus 400pp car equalls a car with no oversteer/understeer and an arcadey feel.
 
totaly agree. i love racing stock scubis.

it still works fine up to about 500 but much over that and things get silly.
 
So is it just me or are others like me too that think that GT5 and supertuned cars dont behave correctly in turning and handling online or am i totally wrong ( i havent been inside a supercar in a race driving 300km/h over curbes).

You are totally right, even with "Racing Soft Tyres" 700hp tuned cars wont be THAT easy to control. And Race cars with race tyres feels too arcadeish compared to real life.
 
totaly agree. i love racing stock scubis.

it still works fine up to about 500 but much over that and things get silly.

Yeah, ok perhaps 400 is too low, but over 500 is totally wrong as i feel.
The cars are like superglued to the road and the ones that win usually drive over curbes, grass and cut corners that normally would ruin the car at those speeds.
I guess it is the lack of a proper damagemodell that makes people drive totally off limits.
 
What's wrong with people tuning up cars? I do it! Why? Because I feel like a tuner when I do it!
 
I have a feeling it has more to do with the SRF then it does the tires.
 
I have a feeling it has more to do with the SRF then it does the tires.

That plus the "grip loss outside the track" option which is set by default to Low instead of Real and for some reason online it is found in track settings.
 
Ive been online a while now. And what i realise more and more is that the realistic races are the ones wit cars that are not superpowered, actually the original cars are the best (premium ones without altering engine, springs and so on).


What you need to do is race in Recommended cars (they're all Premium) at:


Saturday "Stock" Car Series!



Click it ↑ :D


The tyres we choose for each car at SSCS, is based on it's real life lateral G (see the tyre guide in my sig).



👍
 
Last edited:
Whenever I use any car online, it feels exactly like it does offline.
 
Whenever I use any car online, it feels exactly like it does offline.

I have noticed, actually, that cars I can flip over in A-spec, won't flip over online. Besides that, I can't tell either.
 
That plus the "grip loss outside the track" option which is set by default to Low instead of Real and for some reason online it is found in track settings.

Indeed.

It's why I refuse to race online when the room has SRF on, low grip loss, no damage, and no penalties (have to be set to high).
 
Indeed.

It's why I refuse to race online when the room has SRF on, low grip loss, no damage, and no penalties (have to be set to high).

Because being penalized by a 50km/h limit for 10sec when you lost control and went off the track is better, right ?


No.
The problem is that everyone uses racing soft tires. That plus 400pp car equalls a car with no oversteer/understeer and an arcadey feel.


I didn't know that in real racing series having soft compound tyres is forbidden.
 
Because being penalized by a 50km/h limit for 10sec when you lost control and went off the track is better, right ?

When the aforementioned penalties remove the need for interpreting "cutting corners", yes.
 
Sorry, does that include the Collision Penalty you sometimes get when somebody hits you? They really need to refine the penalties as its unfair when you get smashed off the track and get a Collision Penalty for your troubles while some of the cheaters online seemingly get a free pass to drive like idiots while honest racers get the penalties, thats my gripe with them.
 
Sorry, does that include the Collision Penalty you sometimes get when somebody hits you? They really need to refine the penalties as its unfair when you get smashed off the track and get a Collision Penalty for your troubles while some of the cheaters online seemingly get a free pass to drive like idiots while honest racers get the penalties, thats my gripe with them.
This. 👍
 
Indeed.

It's why I refuse to race online when the room has SRF on, low grip loss, no damage, and no penalties (have to be set to high).
You had me until no penalties, because the penalty system is a joke.
 
It is also probably to a degree a deliberate design choice. If you take a medium powered car like an RX-7, then you can model that extremely accurately, because in real life pretty much anyone should be able to get one around a track reasonably competently, with a bit of tuition and practice.

On the other hand, how many people in real life could get a Zonda around the Nurburging with no aids and do it in 6:30 minutes ? Very few. Yet everyone wants to be able to do that in the game, so the difficulty for that level of car needs to be less than realistic, otherwise most people would just be too frustrated.

Like the Top Gear episode where Richard Hammond tried to drive an F1 car. There's a guy with a large amount of real life experience in high performance automobiles, and yet even he couldn't drive an F1 car. So when we are all racing around in the FGTs or the Ferrrari F1 cars and wondering how realistic it is, the answer, by design, is 'not very'.
 
You must understand the tyre compound as an aid or a simulation level. Using racing softs is like activate the "arcade-grip aid" (also called imposible grip aid). And if you also use the SRF, low grip option aid... You're playing in arcade mode.
I have nothing against this "arcade mode", wich is not a "real driving simulator experience", but it's fun. (Yes, I also like TrackMania XD)
Often all this aids are activated in high HP online races.

Have you the same non realistic feeling with superpowered cars driving in without-aids online races?
 
Hi Mulan,
This is a good thread...I was about to start one similar also. But if u says that it is unrealistic in online, i thought it would also applies when non-online GT A spec mode? I thought there is no difference in physics be it online or not?

Few nights ago my cash reach $20mil (how i hope it is real cash)and no choice i have to clear some haha. So i bought the tuners expensive cars like AMUSE, BLITZ etc.. All these cars are easily 500 PP above. So when i start using them i realise they are easier to control and easily win races with aids off compared to normal cheaper <400pp cars....I also find that all cars that are specially tunned by expert here also become much easier to drive fast... I had been wondering is it "un-realistic" because the game became easier when we buy such good cars and you do not need higher skills. Becomes reverse difficulty trend.

Hope you all can help analyse and comment. I sort of feeling "cheating" when using the tunned or the special high PP cars recently.
 
i race online with sport tires, and i think it is GREAT fun! i just dont like to run upwards of 600 pp, i feel as long as its kept in the 600hp and under range, with cars that aren't FULLY modified (stage 3 everything for the LOSE!) that the game isn't as "cheesy" but finding other racers who enjoy racing this way as well seem a bet few and far between. i usually host lobby with heavy damage, vote track, vote pp, vote laps, restricted sport tires... and its usually pretty slow in the lobby. but i would rather cruse the track alone then race "NEED FOR SPEED" style... feel free to add PSN "SteelyDave06" and race anytime! im USUALLY online! GT5 is the reason i bought a PS3


Hope you all can help analyse and comment. I sort of feeling "cheating" when using the tunned or the special high PP cars recently.
try sport med or ever hard tires? ;) i LOVE the Amuse GT1 Turbo S2k straight off the showroom floor only with sport medium tires! GREAT fun with that car!
 
Last edited:
I'll add ya in a bit SteelyDave :)

yeah, try the sports tires, and you'll feel a world of difference, or go to comfort tires, adn really feel a world of difference
 
Toronado
You had me until no penalties, because the penalty system is a joke.

That times a million
 
i race online with sport tires, and i think it is GREAT fun! i just dont like to run upwards of 600 pp, i feel as long as its kept in the 600hp and under range, with cars that aren't FULLY modified (stage 3 everything for the LOSE!) that the game isn't as "cheesy" but finding other racers who enjoy racing this way as well seem a bet few and far between. i usually host lobby with heavy damage, vote track, vote pp, vote laps, restricted sport tires... and its usually pretty slow in the lobby. but i would rather cruse the track alone then race "NEED FOR SPEED" style... feel free to add PSN "SteelyDave06" and race anytime! im USUALLY online! GT5 is the reason i bought a PS3



try sport med or ever hard tires? ;) i LOVE the Amuse GT1 Turbo S2k straight off the showroom floor only with sport medium tires! GREAT fun with that car!

Hi Steely,
I am same as you, I only play GT5 on PS3. I almost given up joining US or EUROPEAN random race pal.. But I would like to add you and play with you cleanly if possible since my skill level is low (hardly any podium win so far online). But I truely enjoy the moments of clean professional racing. Recently I join in a race and I am the only Asian. One fellow deliberately target me to bump me all the way even I let him pass...Really immatured and turns people off. Hence I fall back racing with locals only...sigh. I think age also plays a part haha. I recently realise many locals racing online are in early 20s.. and I am the few with age 30 plus.

Back to the topic, I often used only the "stock" tyre that comes with the new car...as I understand we should not use even sports soft which could lead to unrealistic physics.... but seems quite hard to match.

I am trying to figure out whether I can classify tyre selection with relevant hp range.
eg - below 250 hp - CS, 250 to 350 SH, 350hp above - SS. WHat you all think?
 
Why does everyone say TCS and SRF aren't realistic? Personally I don't use them, but whenever I watch Top gear they always talk about super advanced TCS etc. Don't most super cars have/use these aids?
 
Why does everyone say TCS and SRF aren't realistic? Personally I don't use them, but whenever I watch Top gear they always talk about super advanced TCS etc. Don't most super cars have/use these aids?
SRF is nothing like real life stability control systems. Its basically an entirely different physics engine more than anything else, as the tire model is completely different.
 
boons
I am trying to figure out whether I can classify tyre selection with relevant hp range.
eg - below 250 hp - CS, 250 to 350 SH, 350hp above - SS. WHat you all think?

I think it depends, my league runs only on sports hard tyres up to 500PP. Important thing is to have everyone on the same tyres. That's the most important. To me, the best possible street radials which you can get is sports hard.

Toronado
SRF is nothing like real life stability control systems. Its basically an entirely different physics engine more than anything else, as the tire model is completely different.

Stability control equivalent in GT5 is ASM. But GT5's version is vastly superior to real life counterparts.
 
I love these comments about how race cars feel on race tyres in game vs real life, how many of you complaining about that have actually driven a race car in anger?
 
Back