CARS - The features that set it apart

Oh, now I get it. But that's just like in real life. There's more than one team with an Audi R8 LMS for example. So, 32 cars overall is great, if it happens. They don't all have to be different models.

Oh ok, fine by me. 32 cars on track on consoles is a big deal and puts GT and Forza to shame.

I was always into racing online against others, Project CARS seems to be the first console racer with comprehensive lobbies and structure of features. I'm looking forward to that the most.

So sort of like Codemasters F1 games for example? There can only 12 different cars out of the 24 car grid? Except its a bit different in PCARS, of course.

To the contrary, it's tough to get out of the gravel, but not impossible.

But is it realistic? Is it possible to get stuck in the gravel if your car is positioned in a certain way?
If you have realistic damage on; should you hit the tyre wall its game over or a collision with a car can also mean game over. The gravel can slow you down a lot especially at brands hatch with just two wheels. At the moment you can't get stuck but it could take upto 30 seconds to get out of the trap.

If you have realistic damage on; should you hit the tyre wall its game over or a collision with a car can also mean game over. The gravel can slow you down a lot especially at brands hatch with just two wheels. At the moment you can't get stuck but it could take upto 30 seconds to get out of the trap.
I'm glad that hitting the gravel traps doesn't automatically mean that the race is over (it doesn't necessarily do so in real life either). Properly simulating how gravel reacts, with "fair" results, would mean simulating the deformability of it in detail, and that's probably a bit too much at this stage. This is one of the points where some player friendliness is in order IMO - getting stuck in gravel often would just be overly frustrating for most players.

Excursions into the gravel will, as Willfred says, delay you significantly, and sometimes it will be part of an incident that has led to damage. So you'll be seriously disadvantaged, out of the race, or may have to limp back to the pits.

Last edited:
I'm glad that hitting the gravel traps doesn't automatically mean that the race is over (it doesn't necessarily do so in real life either). Properly simulating how gravel reacts, with "fair" results, would mean simulating the deformability of it in detail, and that's probably a bit too much at this stage. This is one of the points where some player friendliness is in order IMO - getting stuck in gravel often would just be overly frustrating for most players.

Excursions into the gravel will, as Willfred says, delay you significantly, and sometimes it will be part of an incident that has led to damage. So you'll be seriously disadvantaged, out of the race, or may have to limp back to the pits.
indeed

This is an excellent thread. I'd like to see more additions to it.

jOdS9.gif

Back