Cars You're Tired of Seeing

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 243 comments
Here in NZ the most common car was, and still is the Toyota Corolla, but at least it comes in many variations so you don't notice it so much. The problem comes with a new contender on the block, and it's adored by old grannies and people who generally can't drive all across the country. It is the Suzuki Swift.

2007_maruti_swift-web_555d8e343f2bf.jpg

Over a 25KM trip I counted 28 different Suzuki Swifts, they're everywhere. They usually come in packs, at least two in convoy. There is a house near where I live that has three of them, and the moment you see one in front of you, you know what you're in for. General.. Granny driving. Treating their small hatchback like a semi-truck when turning off the main road; going 270 degrees right around a roundabout instead of just turning left; general confusion at intersections, the list goes on. With every Swift I see, my spirit dies a little more. End the Swift. Save us, Suzuki. Have mercy on the people of New Zealand.

That's a real shame. Swifts didn't sell that well in the UK, but damn they're good fun to drive! I wish we saw more of them. We'll do a swap. We'll have the Swifts and you can have the multitude of Audi A4s and Fiesta Ecoboosts that I keep seeing :P

The old person Suzuki here is the Splash :D

Nissan qashqai (or rogue sport) there everywhere around town. Have probably never seen any sporty action except for parking on a field to go watch a kids sports day.

There is no car I'm tired of seeing. It would be the same as asking, what kind of girl are you tired of seeing? :D

:P

There is no car I'm tired of seeing. It would be the same as asking, what kind of girl are you tired of seeing? :D

:P

The type of girl that is always in the press or the internet for no reason other than they have a nice face/chest/ass. You know girls without any actual talent.

That's a real shame. Swifts didn't sell that well in the UK, but damn they're good fun to drive! I wish we saw more of them. We'll do a swap. We'll have the Swifts and you can have the multitude of Audi A4s and Fiesta Ecoboosts that I keep seeing :P

The old person Suzuki here is the Splash :D

That's the worst part, they're not bad cars hence why they sell well. They're just everywhere, and much like people, I can't take large groups of them. I don't mind the new ones though, they look a lot nicer than last gen. But they'll become stale eventually... The circle of life sucks.

That's the worst part, they're not bad cars hence why they sell well. They're just everywhere, and much like people, I can't take large groups of them. I don't mind the new ones though, they look a lot nicer than last gen. But they'll become stale eventually... The circle of life sucks.
Honestly I'm really not fond of the new one. I like the 2005-2010 model and the 2010-2017 model (that basically looked the same) but the new one just doesn't do it for me. Each to their own, though!

I'll also say the Bro Trucks. They have become stupidly common here, and the owners are all the stereotypical douchebags that think they own the road. Then they get butthurt if someone who actually uses a lifted truck/SUV of some sort parks next to them because "It cheapens the value of my truck." No buddy, you cheapened the value of your truck by putting 24s and a lift kit on it just so you could be able to curb hop at the Target parking lot easier than you can without the lift kit.

Saw three of these at a light in Brooklyn.

Apparently, these now outsell Camrys. They're very close to selling at over 500k units a year.

Reviving this thread. This isn't a specific vehicle, but one thing I've grown sick of seeing regularly is base-spec mid-size sedans (Camry, Altima, Fusion, etc) in mundane colors. It makes sense to get a cheaper, more compact car in base trim (Versa, Fit, Yaris, etc), so I don't see why I see far more base Camries than higher-trimmed ones. Wouldn't a Corolla with a boatload of options that's the same price of the base Camry be a more sensible buy?

upload_2018-8-25_11-16-11.png

Reviving this thread. This isn't a specific vehicle, but one thing I've grown sick of seeing regularly is base-spec mid-size sedans (Camry, Altima, Fusion, etc) in mundane colors. It makes sense to get a cheaper, more compact car in base trim (Versa, Fit, Yaris, etc), so I don't see why I see far more base Camries than higher-trimmed ones. Wouldn't a Corolla with a boatload of options that's the same price of the base Camry be a more sensible buy?

View attachment 761640
The front grill gives me serious Lexus vibes.

These are everywhere,

View attachment 761642
Soccer Mum's pretending to be wealthy and imagining is pretty much a Cayenne :lol:
Though if I were forced to buy a crossover - the Sportage would be my second choice, behind a Suzuki Vitara. The interiors are really nice on the Sportage.

@Turbo I read somewhere US citizens still imagine hatchbacks as being unsafe, maybe that explains the constant want for bigger cars?

@Turbo I read somewhere US citizens still imagine hatchbacks as being unsafe, maybe that explains the constant want for bigger cars?
Yep. Hatchbacks have always been an uncommon sight in USA, even in urban towns. Mainly due to stereotypes, like the one you've mentioned, plus some think that they are cramped and impractical as well.

1. Lifted Bro-Dozers, which all seem to be driven by guys with fragile egos- whatever you do, DO NOT pass one these in any kind of small, sporty car.
2. Luxo-SUV's (Benz/BMW/Lex/Infiniti/Volvo/etc...) Taller, slower, fatter... Pontoon boat handling with a designer label. 5 under in the left lane, anyone?
3. Small cheap CUV's. (CR-V/RAV4/any non-WRX Subaru/Equinox/etc...)Taller, slower, fatter for the WalMart crowd. Seem to top out at 30-35, regardless of the speed limit or conditions.
4. Oddly common where I live- 10-15 year old American sedans and SUV's with elaborately styled 22-24 inch chrome wheels and no-profile rubber, all being driven slowly enough to avoid cracking the rims.

Driving with any kind of spirit on roads clogged by all the crap above is just a chore. America may have had a love affair with the automobile, but these days the rest of the country seems to be willing to settle for 1975 Chevy Caprice Classic driving dynamics and fuel economy as long as it has GPS and onboard wifi. (Daily driver is a 6-speed Mazda 3S 2.5 hatch...)

I don't mind them either, they are popping up everywhere though.
I'm seeing the Vitara everywhere instead.

Something I'm sick of seeing - VW Transporters. Everywhere. They are not the best vehicle in the world, so why does their resale value reflect that?

And speaking of VWs, Mk IV Golfs with noisy exhausts, cut springs and bro-off valves. Holy balls they're annoying.

It's not so much that people consider hatchbacks and the like to be unsafe as people in America consider them the cars that poor people (ew) drive. Stuff like the skinflint Yaris and Versa sit on dealer lots year long to be dumped by end of model year sales just to get people in the door by advertising a price, and the well equipped ones are expensive enough that "for just a little more" you can get a "real" car.

Plus, let's be honest. Compact cars and below are the only segment of the market today will people will excuse a car being crap (Mirage, Versa, Sentra, Yaris) so long as they can get financing and it has Bluetooth; so that mindset still isn't wrong. You get a midsized car within the past decade and everything that was worse than mediocre has pretty much been driven out of the market; and since only the Japanese and Korean makes will probably stay in it after the next five years that will become even more true.

It makes sense to get a cheaper, more compact car in base trim (Versa, Fit, Yaris, etc), so I don't see why I see far more base Camries than higher-trimmed ones. Wouldn't a Corolla with a boatload of options that's the same price of the base Camry be a more sensible buy?
Dealer margins are nonexistent on compact cars, frequently even negative, and a compact car with a ton of options will almost undoubtedly be less attractive to lease on top of that (since they would be comparably worthless at the end of the lease). A Toyota dealer would go out of their way to up sell you into a Camry away from a Corolla or Yaris, as would Toyota as a corporation with larger factory incentives, so any perceived advantage of buying a larger car is inflated tenfold when the prices aren't that different new and you've been sweet talked; and the dealer just got in this little old lady only driven to church used Camry that you can have for even less than that new Corolla (that the dealer makes a ton of money on).

The cars in the lower segments that are really good people know are really good and buy them instead of buying the midsized crossover/sedan equivalent; but if you live in North America there's no real benefit to going smaller than an Altima for a Sentra unless you can't afford the former and simply refuse to buy used.

Last edited:
Something I'm sick of seeing - VW Transporters. Everywhere. They are not the best vehicle in the world, so why does their resale value reflect that?
I still see T4s very often. They tend to be very reliable, so most entrepreneurs who are just starting out have interest in them. On the other hand, those I would like to see more often (V6-powered) are nowhere to be found. :)

Which generation(s) of Transporter? Of course, in America Transporters are uncommon. There are a few T4s and more uncommon are T3s, T2s, and T1s. But since we never got the T5 or T6, they are nonexistent cars here.

Back