Casino Royale - 555's review

  • Thread starter Thread starter 555
  • 32 comments
  • 2,195 views

555

Messages
686
First a note to the director/editor, I GET IT DANIEL CRAIG HAS BLUE EYES!!

First off i'll tell you Brosnan is my fav Bond & thought that Craig was an extremely bad choice. But after all the brilliant reviews this film & Craig has got i went in much more optimistic, but as per usual i found (for the most part) the critics to be wrong.

The opening scene is good & the free-running action sequence is very good, probably the best "fight" ever in a Bond film. And in general the first hour (+ a little bit) is very watchable. Nothing is boring (not even the card game, that apparently was). Everything is generally well shot & looks pretty cool. Eva Green (who i never really liked) looks very hot most of the time & Judi Dench is brilliant as M.

Hows Craig you ask. Well, he is good, but no more. The film is different to other/recent Bond outings & Craig plays Bond alot more seriously, which is in some ways good. But in others not. And i'm sorry, but he still dosent look like 007. He is a good actor, just still not exactly right. As mentioned above the constant shot of his eyes really got on my nerves towards the end.

The only actual bad thing is the love story in the middle, thats very boring. There's lots of product placement that dosen't bother me, but i know bugs some people. Including a new beautiful Aston Martin DBS & it's totally wasted. Why'd they bother having a brand new Aston that people haven't seen before?? Just use the new Vantage or DB9.
One main problem i had aswell was this suposed new "Brutal" Bond, i new that would be rubbish. Its no more violent than many other 12A's (Terminator 3 springs to mind) and the torture scene was pathetic, i felt no sense of pain what-so-ever. I mean of course it would be damn painful, but it was done really badly (maybe that was due to the cuts).
Also i thought there was some very obvious stunt double work at times.

Overall, i wish they'd kept Brosnan, but as they didn't this will do. And am sure in the end i will grow to like Craig. Its very good for an hour, then its very much downhill. Just make the next film a proper Bond film please. I miss Q, Colin Salmon's character (forget name) & Moneypenny.

A very low
7/10
 
I'm going to have to go see it. I'm still puzzled as to why they made a guy who looks exactly like a good 006 play 007.
 
If you ever read the books and saw some of the sketches of Bond in thoes personally other than him being blonde he looks more like Bond than Brosnan by a long, long shot. If you get over the blonde hair he's a good Bond, I thought he was very good, I thought that thestory was one of the best Bond story lines yet, but I did feel there were parts that were too dragged out including the we're in love bits lateron in the film but I felt that they could have expanded in other areas. I enjoyed the film, a lot and I'd give it 8/10. but it is a very different movie to other Bond movies so far.
 
I saw this today and I thought it was okay.

Personally I thing Craig is a great Bond, he brings a sort of thuggish charm to the character and it's also more realistic how he can be so physically strong. Daniel Craig is a pretty big guy you see, unlike Pierce Brosnan and the other Bonds. He's the kind of guy you'd actually expect to win in a fight.

I thought the plot was a bit confusing and boring at times as well, but it was still a good Bond film and better than Die Another Day.
 
I don't not like him because he's blonde. I just wish they'd picked someone else, Clive Owen or Gerard Butler.
I grew up with Brosnan & thus he's my fav. Am sure Craig will grow on me.
 
If you ever read the books and saw some of the sketches of Bond in thoes personally other than him being blonde he looks more like Bond than Brosnan by a long, long shot.
I think it is way past late to be worrying about being faithful to the books.
El Gigante
I thought the plot was a bit confusing and boring at times as well, but it was still a good Bond film and better than Die Another Day.
The only Bond movie I can think of that isn't better than Die Another Day is Moonraker, so that isn't saying much. That being said, it was a pretty good movie. The best Bond movie? No way in hell. That still goes to Never Say Never Again (in my opinion). And Craig is still my least favorite Bond (though he was better than 58-year-old Roger Moore when he retired). And Omnis raised a good point that bothered me throughout the whole movie: he reminds me more of Trevalan from Goldeneye than Bond.
 
I can think of 21 Bond films better han Die another day, that was awful imo. Never say never awgain and from Russia with love were two of the best, but I'd put this one up there, not the best, but up there.
 
I'm sorry? People actually like the non-canonical Never Say Never Again?

I thought it was utterly dreadful. Connery looked like he'd Never Say Never to another slice of pie, and it all rather smacked of The Avengers.
 
Actually no your right, I'm thinking Thunderball, the proper version of that film. That said, die another day isthe only Bond film that's really made me cringe at several points in the film and I mean cringe at the plot and stupidness of the film.

From Russia with love is probably still the best imo.
 
Two bemusements on my part.

1) Gratuitous use of the New Mondeo for no particular reason, and making a point of looking at the badging.

2) Three effing hours long.
 
I'm sorry? People actually like the non-canonical Never Say Never Again?

I thought it was utterly dreadful. Connery looked like he'd Never Say Never to another slice of pie, and it all rather smacked of The Avengers.
Thank you! I never understood picking Connery back up deades later. He was bordering on too old when he originally quite and then they decided to make an out of nowhere "Bond" film just to bring him back.


As for this Bond: I've seen better. He isn't Timothy Dalton bad but he is far from a Connery or even a Brosnan. Now, as this was supposed to be young, wreckless Bond before he became suave I think Craig did that well. But that is not Bond for many, many people.

The torture scene--boring. The villain--weak. The action--fun.

To sum up: Was it a fun action film if you weren't looking for anything more? Yes. Was it a great Bond film? No.

Does anyone else miss the great classic henchmen like Oddjob and Jaws?
 
Am glad somebody else found the torture seen boring. It was pathetic wern't it!

So if you all had to select just ONE 007 film. What is your favs?? Mine would be Goldeneye.
 
I'd say Goldeneye was the best Brosnan Bond but I liked this more tbh. My fave ever though, hard to say because there's a lot I haven't seen for a while. Probably From Russia with Love, the assasin was good, the plot was good, Connery was good, it had thoes spiked boot's.
 
555
Am glad somebody else found the torture seen boring. It was pathetic wern't it!
Yeah. Sure, that hurts like hell, but I can think of much more painful thinsg to do to a person.

So if you all had to select just ONE 007 film. What is your favs?? Mine would be Goldeneye.
It's been a while since I watched through the Connery ones, and even longer since I watched the Moore films, but I want to say Goldfinger, possibly Thunderball. I think I like Thunderball purely for a sweet jetpack escape.
 
555
So if you all had to select just ONE 007 film. What is your favs?? Mine would be Goldeneye.

OHMSS.

Tomorrow Never Dies is underrated - lots of classic Bond-age in that (deranged villian, Teutonic henchman, space, planes, the Navy) - and Live And Let Die is an absolute classic.
 
555
So if you all had to select just ONE 007 film. What is your favs?? Mine would be Goldeneye.

TWINE.
 
The supporting actors and she-actors were terrific, and the plot was one of the most intricate to date.

The pyro was a little overdone, but it failed to spoil it for me.
 
TWINE is probably my 2nd fav 007 film (2 sexiest Bond girls in this film easily!).
I can never really remember the older ones. Other than View To A Kill & Moonraker, they all blend together in my head. I really liked License To Kill as well.
 
Thank you! I never understood picking Connery back up deades later. He was bordering on too old when he originally quite and then they decided to make an out of nowhere "Bond" film just to bring him back.
Unless my math is horribly off, Roger Moore was the same age as, if not older than, Connery was in Never Say Never Again when Moore was in A View to a Kill. And I always hated Roger Moore as James Bond.




And besides, I prefer Dalton over everybody but Brosnan anyways (Casino Royale 1967 kicks Casino Royale 2006's ass).
 
As far as my favourite Bond Movie goes, it ultimately comes down to the storyline as the winner. [SIZE=-1]George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton never amazed me (Though I would've liked seeing Dalton in another movie or so), and Roger Moore, although the most humorous of the bunch just didn't seem serious enough to coincide with Ian Flemming's original depiction of Bond.

So it comes down to Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan for me, but Brosnan wins as far as entertainment goes.
Tomorrow Never dies is a little bit cliched but it was a good movie nevertheless and Denise Richards looked hot as Dr. Christmas in the World Is Not Enough but... in favour of the fast-moving action and luxurious automobiles I'm going to have to hand the title to Die Another Day...

[/SIZE]
 
It's only recently dawned on me just how innuendoical the names were.

Pussy Galore
Octopussy
 
I'm going to have to hand the title to Die Another Day...

Good pre-title sequence, weak theme (Madonnabot), weak start (Bond has escaped from locked nuclear bunkers full of cyanide and wasps, the concept of him being stuck in a North Korean gaol for any length of time is just silly - never mind the concept of the British agreeing a prisoner exchange for someone who doesn't exist), poor Bond girl (Halle bloody Berry, marginally out-acted by the sea she steps out of), good-ish villain, good-ish armageddon device with a hopeless, hopeless implementation (why would you need it to clear the border of mines and the UN, when you could raze Seoul at will from space?), quite a poor chase sequence (with a funny bit in it).

It's the worst of the Brosnan Bonds (though it's no Never Say Never Again). Goldeneye has grown on me, but Tomorrow Never Dies is still his best.

Anyone who doesn't like Moore Bond hasn't watched Live And Let Die enough times. Goldfinger and OHMSS are right at the top though.


Edit: Let's continue this hither.
 
I enjoyed the film :) this bond was a bit more human. The mushy parts of the movie towards the end felt very drawn out... but the rest of the movie was good.

I'd forgotten why i didnt like going to the movies... then the person behind me humming the theme song and commenting on the movie reminded me why. i wanted to get out of my chair and turn around and strangle them.

Bronson annoyed me in the last few movies. so i think i might actually like this bond better.


here is the intro. the sound quality is not very good in this clip. i really enjoyed the intro on the big screen :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=obJyMMydWYE&mode=related&search=
 
I have seen the film on last friday and was positivly surprised

Daniel Craig rocks imho, i dont care if he's blonde or so. and i like his style and humour 👍
 
Apparently according to the commercials, Casino Royale is both the Best Bond in years (which makes sense, considering Die Another Day blew and TWINE came out 7 years ago), and the Best Bond Ever (which is absurd).
 
I wouldn't say it's absurd for someone to tihnk it was the best Bond movie ever, it's definitely up there with the best. In term of the acting it's great, Daniel Craig was a fantastic Bond imo, nostalgia probably prevents me from rating it as highly as From Russia with love, but there's very little I found fault with in Casino Royale.
 
I wouldn't say it's absurd for someone to tihnk it was the best Bond movie ever, it's definitely up there with the best. In term of the acting it's great, Daniel Craig was a fantastic Bond imo, nostalgia probably prevents me from rating it as highly as From Russia with love, but there's very little I found fault with in Casino Royale.
Oh, I agree that the acting is top notch, but I found faults with quite a few things, most notably the torture scene's slow and boring pace.Now, granted, I wouldn't be able to put this anywhere near my top five, and I'm not so dillusional to think my favorite's are actually the best of them, but I just didn't think that was any thing resembling true. From Russia With Love and Goldfinger both destroy this one, in my opinion, but only Goldfinger is in my Top 5 (for example).
 
If you ever read the books and saw some of the sketches of Bond in thoes personally other than him being blonde he looks more like Bond than Brosnan by a long, long shot.

Almost all the actors who have ever played Bond in a movie have been dark-haired. Also I don't really care what he looks like according to the books, since I'll never read a James Bond book (the movies are only borderline entertaining). This is a James Bond movie, and Daniel Craig is a pretty blond-haired, blue-eyed hunk who walks around showing off his over-developed pecs and delts, wearing tight shirts and staring into women's eyes. Crap. He plays Bond way too intense for my liking, but I will say Craig is a good actor; it didn't feel like he was in over his head or couldn't handle the role.

Brosnan was also my favourite Bond, and though I'd place Daniel Craig above Timothy Dalton, that's about it. It also sucked that there were NO gadgets except for that stupid defibrillator in the Aston and the stupid Sony-Ericsson super-cellphone that could apparently do just about anything. The only good parts of the movie were the chase at the beginning, the opening credits (though cheesy, they were actually nice to look at, and a man singing the song was a pleasant break), and that Aston Martin (I read on IMDB that they used 3 actual DBS's valued at $300,000 each to get that shot of the crash!). There were a few good quips made by bond throughout the movie ("Sorry, but that last hand...it nearly killed me!"), but if I had to listen to Eva Green's voice for one more second, I would have seriously considered tearing my own ears off. I also liked the poisoning scene, despite the cheesiness of the in-car defibrillator I already mentioned.

Le Chiffre's femme fatale, that blond ugly girl, was horrible. Le Chiffre himself was interesting - not exactly a cool villain, but different, and I thought I would hate the actor playing him, but he was pretty good.

Overall, the movie is about half an hour too long, the love story is featured too heavily and doesn't really become believable at any point, but the action is good and yes, Judi Dench is teriffic. As far as Bond movies go, it's an 8/10 (which realy isn't saying much since I don't find Bond movies to be incredibly good in any respect). As far as regular movies go, it's a 7/10 at best. Perhaps someone could give me a few Bond movies to check out that they think I would like; I've seen all the Brosnan ones, most of the Roger Moore ones and a few Connery ones. I like cool gadgets and cars, but not the older cars like the ones in the Connery movies, because old Astons and the like don't do squat for me.

Any suggestions?
 
I liked the movie more because there wasn't as many gadgets, the gadgets were the worst parts of the Brosnan Bond's imo and the defribulator scene was one of the worst parts of this one. If you don't like Bond movies in general I can understand where your coming from, but from someone who does like bond movies, I thought this film was great.
 
Back